best airfare to Hawaii

Miss Park Avenue

Work, work, work...she'll NEVER get her DIS done!
We are planning our first ever trip to Aulani. So excited and don't know where to even begin! I guess my first question is where do you go for the best airfare? Do you find the airfare first, and then book your room? We will be staying on points. Our home resort is OKW, so I guess that means we have to wait until six months prior. Will that be an issue? Do they book up? We were thinking next year sometime. Thanks in advance.

We are planning our first ever trip to Aulani. So excited and don't know where to even begin! I guess my first question is where do you go for the best airfare? Do you find the airfare first, and then book your room? We will be staying on points. Our home resort is OKW, so I guess that means we have to wait until six months prior. Will that be an issue? Do they book up? We were thinking next year sometime. Thanks in advance.

I'd get the room first and then order airline tickets. You can book at 7 months (not 6) as it's not your home resort. June is the busiest month and you could have issues getting a room depending on what you're looking for. You should be fine most other times aside from major holidays and such. Standard studios could be an issue. If I were you I'd start checking the RAT to get some idea of availability.

I'm on the west coast and Alaska, Delta and Hawaiian all have direct flight. Southwest is supposed to start flying direct in 2018 as well, but I don't know from which airports. I'm not familiar with which airlines fly direct from the east coast or Midwest. Have fun planning :)

for airfare, I just look and look and look and then I get a feel for the typical prices, and then I know when it's getting to a low point.

Yesterday I booked my mother boston to hawaii for $498 at the end of May. That's dirt cheap. But as soon as I saw it, I knew it was a good price, without giant 10 hour layovers. I tend to watch my preferred airline and then google flights and then go from there.

for airfare, I just look and look and look and then I get a feel for the typical prices, and then I know when it's getting to a low point.

Yesterday I booked my mother boston to hawaii for $498 at the end of May. That's dirt cheap. But as soon as I saw it, I knew it was a good price, without giant 10 hour layovers. I tend to watch my preferred airline and then google flights and then go from there.
What airline did you see for $498? I presume that is one-way? I’m looking for flights from Boston in August.

What airline did you see for $498? I presume that is one-way? I’m looking for flights from Boston in August.

no. round trip! 498.99 with tax, to be exact.
United. It's boston to lax to lihue to hnl, but it's only 16 hours total, so no hideous layovers. and then hnl to san fran to boston on the way back.
It's too early to book August. Just wait a month. But watch the prices every few days.

I've seen decent enough prices on Alaska out of boston (partner with...i forget) but the layovers in san fran are like 10 hours or more. I guess it's fine if you want to maybe go explore a bit or know someone in san fran.

no. round trip! 498.99 with tax, to be exact.
United. It's boston to lax to lihue to hnl, but it's only 16 hours total, so no hideous layovers. and then hnl to san fran to boston on the way back.
It's too early to book August. Just wait a month. But watch the prices every few days.

I've seen decent enough prices on Alaska out of boston (partner with...i forget) but the layovers in san fran are like 10 hours or more. I guess it's fine if you want to maybe go explore a bit or know someone in san fran.

Excellent price @buffettgirl !

What an awesome price out of Boston. I suspect your mother is flying mid-week to get that price. Unfortunately, due to work schedules, our August trip needs to be Saturday to Saturday. I know traveling on weekends cost more than if we could go on Tuesday or Wednesday. I’ve been watching the flights for the past six months. They average around $1,000 round-trip on AA, United, and a bit more $ on Delta.

What an awesome price out of Boston. I suspect your mother is flying mid-week to get that price. Unfortunately, due to work schedules, our August trip needs to be Saturday to Saturday. I know traveling on weekends cost more than if we could go on Tuesday or Wednesday. I’ve been watching the flights for the past six months. They average around $1,000 round-trip on AA, United, and a bit more $ on Delta.
yes, mid week.
You'll find something though. When we fly back to Mass, it's generally weekends because we also have to deal with school and work. Just keep watching prices. I'd probably jump at 800 or so.
On the other hand, I was waiting to find something in March to go to Mass and nothing ever dropped. It's frustrating.

Southwest will start service to Hawaii in late 18/early 19, shake up coming. Counting their orders vs. what was retired, they'll be busy adding lots of routes the next 3 to 4 years too. Frontier has lots of planes coming too.

I am so retarded that I cannot see where you are flying from? What class you usually fly? And when do you plan on going?
I presume Honolulu Airport?

We are going in may. I got our tickets in Nov for 928 each from Chicago to Honolulu direct. We refuse to stop somewhere so it costs a bit more but worth it to us. It’s on United and I can upgrade two of us to economy plus at n9 additional cost based on my status. I was able to use miles for my girls.

We are going in may. I got our tickets in Nov for 928 each from Chicago to Honolulu direct. We refuse to stop somewhere so it costs a bit more but worth it to us. It’s on United and I can upgrade two of us to economy plus at n9 additional cost based on my status. I was able to use miles for my girls.

Airfare is so weird, we went on United last October out of Toronto and stopping in Chicago. Our tickets were like $550 roundtrip CANADIAN including tax...had we booked on the same flight but out of Chicago instead of out of Toronto and stopping at Chicago the airfare was ALMOST DOUBLE! That is for the exact same flight out of Chicago

I would be flying in from Pittsburgh. Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm going to try the google flight tracker thing

What time do you book the flight so you can “check in” at your hotel? Is it a typical 16 hour flight. We will be flying from Baltimore to Honolulu. Trying to figure out what time to book the flight. And is Hawaii 4 hours behind the east coast?

What time do you book the flight so you can “check in” at your hotel? Is it a typical 16 hour flight. We will be flying from Baltimore to Honolulu. Trying to figure out what time to book the flight. And is Hawaii 4 hours behind the east coast?
Typical flights from Boston are about 12 to 16 hours, depending on layovers. I would guess they're similar from Baltimore. East Coast flights leave generally in the morning and arrive in HNL mid to late afternoon. I generally don't see many early morning flights arriving in hawaii. Hawaiian is one airline that does though.

During standard time, HNL is currently 5 hours behind the east coast. During Daylight Savings, Hawaii is 6 hours behind the east coast. We don't change to DST here.

I would be flying in from Pittsburgh. Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm going to try the google flight tracker thing

We are flying out of Pittsburgh in July too....I overanalyzed this to the point I had post it notes on my basement tour with prices routes etc. In the end there is no easy way from Pgh there. We ended up booking SWA from PIT to LAX to stay a few nights in Disneyland. then taking Hawaiian air from Long Beach to HNL (first class, better price here than LAX and much closer). Then leaving HNL to PIT via Delta First Class. Best price over united etc. and ironically Hawaiian Air was best price if I wanted to fly to NYC then go home with SWA to PIT which I did not want to do....

Ok so it looks like we will have to lay over? I just want to get to Hawaii so I’ll have to see how short these layovers are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!