Best Birthday Ever! - my (very first) July 2018 trip report

obisbondgirl

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I recently returned from a trip to Disney World and am excited to create my first ever trip report! I hope you will bear with me as it is my first try aha.

My Disney History

Ok so some "Disney background" about me since this is my first trip report.

I grew up in a very small, rural town in Canada. Our internet is very spotty out there so it wasn't until I moved out on my own to a bigger city a few years back that I was really able to explore the internet aha. I discovered these boards and lurked for awhile and built up the courage to make an account. Hence even though I have gone to Disney many times, this is my first trip report!

I went to Disney several times as a kid in the late 90's. My dad's job involved making sure credit cards would still function once we got the year 2000 and all the computer digits went to "00" instead of "99". He had a conference every year at one of the Epcot area resorts. I remember staying several times at Swan/Dolphin and once at Boardwalk. But sadly there is not much a remember about those trips, other than a few details about the hotels! The scary Boardwalk clown pool lol and the Boardwalk lit at night with all the carnival games. The Swan/Dolphin had a ceiling with stars that twinkled and the restaurant had a tree in it lol (I think Garden Grove??). Yes I went to Disney as a kid and honestly do not remember the parks rofl.

My family did not enjoy Disney very much, they said it was very stressful and they preferred to relax on vacation. We never went back after dad's conferences ended. Fast forward to high school and I joined the marching band aha, I played the french horn through elementary school and decided it would be fun to march in parades. Well I ended up marching in Disney World! I don't even remember what parade lol, but it was definitely down Main Street and around through the Magic Kingdom lands. I think it might have been a special thing for marching bands? I have a t-shirt that says "Disney Music Days" aha.

This is where my love of Disney began. On a bus down from Canada for 24 hours with all my friends aha. Like a sleepover on wheels! I haven't mentioned up till now, I have a physical disability and use a wheelchair to get around. Yes I joined the marching band in a wheelchair lol. I played the instrument and one friend pushed me aha. Up till then, I hadn't had much luck on school trips or vacations with family. Most places for groups of people to go, there's always something that is not accessible, and inevitably I have to sit out. But Disney World was an entire different experience for me. I could go everywhere that my friends went and do everything that they did. My mum came with me on that trip in case I needed her help but actually I didn't really aha. And that was a totally new experience for me at that age, to not need help and be able to go out independently. Of course Disney is also a super fun place to be with your friends, able-bodied or not. So I just have such fond memories of us being let loose at Disney lol.

When I graduated high school, my parents asked would I like to go somewhere for a gift? Oh yes I would! Back to Disney World I went aha, this time with family rather than my school friends. This trip my dear family pulled out all the stops for me aha. We stayed at the Beach Club and I got to experience Star Wars Weekends, which was a huge deal to nerd me lol. Again I do not really remember any rides but I lined up to meet ALL the Star Wars characters! I remember Darth Vader made me jump because he signed my autograph book and then snapped it shut super hard so it made a sound lol. The character interactions were really awesome! Again my love for Disney increased because all the Star Wars stuff was so cool and I fell in love with the Beach Club. The lobby smell! There was a full size sandcastle behind glass in the lobby! Stormalong Bay with the sand bottom and the lazy river! A seafood buffet (Cape May Cafe)! I vowed to come back here someday.

Fast forward to June 2014 and I graduated from university with an accounting degree. What would I like for a graduation present asked my parents? Hmmmm I wonder...:scratchin Yes back to Disney we went! This time I was in Disney World for my birthday in July! Alas my precious Beach Club was out of reach. We stayed for a couple days at Port Orleans French Quarter. A birthday in Disney was truly the best! Wearing the birthday pin, all the cast-members wishing you happy birthday, and sometimes a sweet treat for free! Truly Disney World was my favourite place to be.

I'm here! Following along for the TR, can't wait to read about the trip!

I loved reading about your history with Disney!

Aww thank you so much everyone! I hope I did not bore you too much with the background lol. I figured it needed it's own part because each time I go to Disney it gets more nostalgic aha. So you wouldn't know what I was remembering if I didn't tell you!

Prologue - It All Started With a... Ticket Offer

So you are probably wondering, if you love Disney World so much, why have you not been for 4 years? Well there is a thing called "life" that loves to just get all up in your plans lol.

A lot has happened in the 4 years since my last trip. After graduation I got a full-time job and started the grueling process of getting my CPA designation, which I thankfully passed. I moved out on my own and then in with my boyfriend. My grandparents unfortunately all passed away during this time. There was always something going on in my life that kept me from vacationing.

Unfortunately, soon after 2018 New Years my boyfriend and I decided to part ways. I was feeling pretty lost and not sure what to do with myself. I saw a posting with my firm for a position in Toronto. Maybe this would be the fresh start that I needed? I got the job and moved soon after. But by February I was feeling very worn out. Maybe my fairy godmother was listening lol. Because I received an email soon after I moved, a special offer for Canadians, 20% off Disney World tickets. And the email even had a picture of my favourite Star Wars character, BB8! It was a sign!

I thought about how hard I had been working and how much I had been through in the years since my last trip. I realized I had not taken a vacation since I graduated lol. I looked at my bank account, thankfully I'd been too busy to spend much either. And I was now free and independent, I could do whatever I wanted.... I was going to Disney World!

But there was so much to figure out. For how many days? With whom? Where would we stay? I decided to focus on the tickets first. These tickets were unique, they were good until the end of 2018. I thought I wanted to go in late summer or early fall, as winter and spring are just too busy at work, and summer is so hot. Hotel deals for those months weren't out yet so I could wait.

The key thing for now was how many tickets to buy for how many days? I hadn't been at Disney for longer than 4 days since the 90's aha. My heart was set to stay a week! Ah but I couldn't find a friend to come with me. Like me they were all working, all of them saving up for something that wasn't Disney. Well I had waited long enough, I would go alone if I had to! It would be an adventure! I told my parents my plans. As I mentioned they are not Disney fans but have put up with me over the years lol. I certainly wasn't going to drag them on my "free and independent" adventure. But my mum was insistent, she wanted to come. Why? "Oh I love Disney, ever since I went with you in high school and all us mums broke curfew riding Splash Mountain". Lol yes that was a funny story, but did she really like Disney? Enough to come with me for a whole week? I was unconvinced.

She came to visit me soon after I moved. What did she want to do in the city? She didn't want to spend much money. "Could we stay in and watch Youtube?" Ummm ok, what did she want to watch? ".... TimTracker?" TimTracker???? YOU watch TimTracker?? I watch TimTracker! Yes, she had discovered him while trying to find "something warm" to watch in the midst of our winter lol and stuck with him because "his videos are very informative and not too shaky. His voice is nice to listen to and his wife is so sweet". LOL. Alas our crappy internet back home allowed her limited viewing time. She was not leaving without taking advantage of my fibre-optics lol. We watched TimTracker every evening, and I'm pretty sure she watched it when I went to sleep or to work too lol. Who knew my mum was a secret Disney/TimTracker fan??

Ok so mum had proven herself to me, she could come on my trip. Did my dad or brother mind? "Do your thing" they said, "just please don't make us come with you". LOL well they certainly are not secret Disney fans.

I went to the Disney website and played around with the number of tickets. The cost got lower the more days I added. Ahh... tempting! But I could not afford much more than a week, once you factor in flights, hotel, and that darn exchange rate. Hmm but what about one more day? For only $10 more we could go to each park twice, or an extra pool or shopping day. And I hadn't been for so long.... ok yes I had convinced myself. Also I couldn't pass up park hoppers, not when there's enough restaurants just in Epcot to last the entire trip lol. Mum and I were going to Disney World for 8 days!!

Almost two months went by. Still stuck in winter, blah. Ah but a ray of sunshine, Disboards says the 2018 hotel summer offers are out! I punched in the end of August to start. Before the storms and after all the kids were back in school, perfect! I was hoping to stay moderate, but French Quarter and Riverside were both less than $50 off. Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs were under construction. The monorail hotels and Beach/Yacht Club were out of my price range even discounted. Hmmm but what's this, Boardwalk was $100 off, less than $400 a night when it's usually almost $500. Tempting but still seemed expensive... I got busy with work again and a few weeks went by. I talked to my mum, she reminded me that if we split the cost of the room, we would be paying less than $200 a night each for the Boardwalk. And I do love that Epcot resort area with easy access to Epcot and MG.... I mean Hollywood Studios lol. Ok yes, she convinced me. I signed back in and punched in the dates again. All the Boardwalk rooms were gone, well all the accessible ones. In fact almost ALL of the accessible rooms were gone across all the resorts! Oh boy, how stupid I had been to not move faster! I looked instead to the Swan/Dolphin. The rooms were very reasonably priced! Ah but all accessible rooms had only 1 king bed, and having my own bed was kind of a deal breaker aha. After all it is a vacation! I would just have to be patient and hope a room opened up in the future, maybe I could look at flights for now?

It's a short trip for my family to the Buffalo Airport, and it's a lot cheaper than flying out of Toronto. We always fly from there if going to the US, on Southwest. But just like the hotel rooms, all Southwest flights to Orlando from Buffalo were booked solid for the end of August! Oh man, this was not looking good. I didn't want to push it further into the fall and risk a major storm. My only option would be to move it up earlier... hey what if I went for my birthday in July again! I punched in the dates. There were plenty of hotel rooms and plenty of flights. My mum and I were both free during that time... I booked a roll-in shower room at the Boardwalk, and a direct flight! We would be checking in 2 days after my actual birthday. And I had only 106 more days to wait!

Yay! I'm glad you found time to vacation after such a busy and stressful year, it sounds like you really deserved this trip!

My family loves TimTracker, too!

Glad all the planning worked out, I can't wait to read more about this trip!

Arghh I really should type my posts out and then copy them in here! I had my travel day all typed out and then got an error and couldn't post it. All gone! I noticed it says "draft saved" in the corner often. Is there a chance it's hiding somewhere??

EDIT - Nvm I just re-posted it aha!

Last edited:
Travel Day (Part 1) - It Came, It Came! It Came Just the Same

Ok let's give this another try! Also just wanted to note, our actual travel day was 2 weeks ago today aha, kind of neat that I am posting this now.

Last part ended with me having booked my trip. My 106 day wait went by fairly quickly. This was my first time booking and planning a trip myself so it helped that I had a lot to do!

I know a lot of people stress about making their reservations exactly 180 days and fastpasses exactly 60 (or 30) days ahead, but I didn't have any issues. It's true I booked up my dining reservations quickly after I booked the trip. But even we changed our fastpasses a lot while on our trip and didn't have much trouble getting what we wanted. That said, my goal was mostly to stay budget conscious aha. For lunch I tried to find less expensive table service and dinners were going to be quick service. So my ease of booking may have been due to looking at the less "in demand" places. I did nab Be Our Guest for lunch though, that one took a bit of patience.

One thing that I thought a lot about as my trip got closer, was how this was going to be my first "adult" trip aha, to Disney or anywhere. I had booked and paid for the trip myself, even if mum insisted on paying me back her share lol. I found myself wondering if Disney had changed as much as I had in the last 4 years, and worried what if I didn't like it so much or if it didn't feel the same? I read a lot here on the Disboards about how things are not the same at Disney as they used to be, and I wondered if I would feel or experience this in some way. Also I hadn't left Canada or flown in 4 years so I was stressing about reading up on all the rules and regulations etc.

But I woke up on a bright and sunny Monday morning aha. It kind of felt like Christmas morning as a kid, when you wake up and you can't believe that's it's finally here aha. I had knots all in my stomach so I didn't really eat much for breakfast. I'd come down from Toronto on Friday with my luggage and was staying with my parents at their place. So we loaded up the van and triple checked everything, and headed to the Buffalo airport! I should have counted how many times I said "I can't believe this is happening!" on this day lol.

Thankfully the border wasn't overly busy and we crossed without much delay. My phone helpfully reminded me I was in the US lol. We got the the airport by about 10:30am or so, our flight was at 12:30pm. Dad helped us get to the security area and then waved us off. He's very sweet, I think he got a little emotional about us leaving, even though he's very old-school "I'm a guy and I don't show emotion" lol.

Ah airport security. I totally understand what it is for and I'm very happy to participate as it helps keep us safe. But, I just find it super stressful, especially because I'm unable to walk through the airport scanners. I always have to get manually frisked aha. I totally understand why, but there's something about being separated off from everyone else and being manually inspected that just stresses me out. I always feel like I've done something bad even though I haven't. And everyone is quite apologetic because it's just kind of an awkward situation all around. But I must say that the TSA staff were very pleasant to me and it made it less stressful.

I made it through and was able to rejoin my mum on the other side, phew! We went to the Southwest gate to get my chair all tagged up, and I checked it a million times to make sure they all said Orlando. One of these days I bet my chair will be lost and then I don't know what I'll do. It's definitely one of my biggest fears!

Mum & I decided to eat something on principle before our flight, even though neither of us were hungry. I think my stomach was just a little ball of anxiety and adrenaline aha. We split a rather sad looking burger from the food court, Checkers I think? Don't think we have that in Canada. Looked like a small Wendy's burger to me aha.

Even though I find the airport pretty stressful, one nice thing is that I always get to pre-board my flights aha (although I'm usually the last off also). So boarding was nice and simple, and we took off on time, hooray! I told my mum that the takeoff was our first "ride" of our trip lol! Luckily I don't have a fear of heights or flying or anything like that. I really like looking out the window and mum let me have the window seat aha. It's so peaceful in the clouds and beautiful, like being in a painting. Mum pulled out a late birthday gift for me aha, some type of travel magazine, a special edition about the Disney parks around the world. I don't actually know much about the history of the Disney parks at all, so this was interesting. I hadn't finished reading it yet when the captain announced we were making our descent! We would be in Orlando around 3pm.

We had a pretty bumpy landing, but the crew did warn us. It was nice and sunny in Orlando but I guess there were some air pockets making things bumpy. We waited for everyone to leave the plane and then phew there was my chair waiting for me. It was kind of in rough shape though, must have been bumpy down below too! I don't recall ever removing my seat cushion while flying before, it's stuck on so good it's hard for me to remove aha. But now it was on backwards, and the rubber stoppers on the brakes were gone. I fixed the seat and was prepared to leave the brakes as is but a Southwest staffperson came to us with the rubber stoppers. He'd noticed and gone looking for them, so nice of him! Our first bit of "pixie dust" so far aha.

We came out of the gate in a bit of a daze, it's always kind of funny going from the peace of the plane into the hustle and bustle of the airport again. My mum was trying to get me to take in the sights but I was kind of on a mission lol. That main atrium that connects the A and B sections is very pretty though, with the light streaming through and there are hotel rooms above you? Always looks like something from a movie to me, certainly different than poor Buffalo airport lol.

I'd signed us up for Magical Express, our first time ever! My dad won't accept not having a car on vacation, what if he wants to go somewhere lol? But neither mum or us had any interest in driving on vacation aha. As I'd never done this before I was concerned about how long it would take to get our bags, so we opted to get them ourselves and put them under the bus. We took the little tram over to the luggage area. That tram is one of my favourite things, you can see all the palm trees outside! It just screams "I am here!"

Our luggage appeared and I started to allow myself to be excited. We'd made it safely and nothing had gone horribly wrong lol! In hindsight I probably should have let Magical Express handle our bags as mum had to be a trooper with one in each hand. Luckily they both had wheels. We headed off, following the signs to the Magical Express! (continued in Part 2)

Travel Day (Part 2) - We Are Here!

Last we left off, mum and I were making our way to the Magical Express. We found it, without issue, but it's mostly just a bunch of Disney cast members standing around aha. There's no grand "Magical Express" sign like I was expecting, or maybe I was just in a daze aha.

Magic bands don't ship to Canada so we would get them at the hotel. Instead I had a letter from Magical Express that the cast members scanned, and we waited in a little waiting area for our bus. There were tv screens playing Disney World info-mercial type things. Oh now I was excited!

We probably only waited 5-10 minutes and our bus was out front. I'd double checked with the cast member that it had a lift for me. It was looking kind of dark and the cast members were hoping we would get on before it rained which we did. It had stopped raining by the time we got to the hotel, which would be typical of our trip.

Magical Express was super fun! I would definitely do it again! I got so hyped watching all the trivia and videos while we waited for everyone to board. When my poor dad is driving he always gets lost and we end up on a toll road? He's always cranky before the vacation has even started aha. If he ever comes with me again, maybe I can convince him to do Magical Express!

Our bus was headed to he Epcot resorts. The bus driver said "who's ready to go to Disney World!" and we all cheered. Hooray!

One thing I found about Magical Express is actually it's kind of hard to see out the windows. Is the route to Disney a secret lol? As fun as it was to watch the videos I was trying in vain to watch the scenery but it wasn't working out. I asked my mum to keep an eye out for the main gate through the front window and she did spot it for me. We were now "in the bubble"!

We pulled up to the Boardwalk and got out. I took a minute to look all around and feel that Florida heat on my face. I just love "Florida heat" bahaha. I love warm weather in general, but it's not the same even on the hottest days in Canada. The temperature back home, without humidity was actually the same in Orlando most of our trip. But in Canada the heat comes from the sun. On a cloudy day or a rainy day, I feel cold. In Florida the heat is in the air! When the sun's out it's too much aha. But on a cloudy day or at night? Ooooh it's just my favourite aha.

The Boardwalk looked so pretty outside, but the lobby was stunning. I took a picture of the amazing sea horse chandelier! Ahh I couldn't believe it we were here! Mum and I wandered the lobby a bit. We'd watched TimTracker's tour of the Boardwalk before we'd come, and we must have sounded so dumb "omg it's just the same as in TimTracker!" lolol. Ah shout out to those terrifying "nanny chairs" sitting by the fireplace. Yes I read the plaque explaining about them. But seriously, terrifying!

There weren't many people in the lobby at that time so I was able to walk right up and check in. I'm sad that I forget the name of the cast member as he was so cheerful! He gave us a map with our room number, a happy birthday pin for me, and then the part where I have to sign for them to charge my credit card lol. I gulped a little at the price. Mum mouthed at me "we are splitting it!" rofl.

Our room number was the scary number "1313" lol. The bellman had promised to drop our bags off at our room so we could tour around aha. On the way we passed this old... movie machine that I'd seen in the Tim Tracker video. It's like a flip-book where the images move by flipping the pages only this was turned by crank. A kid saw us trying it and wanted to try. Every time after that we saw a huge crowd at that thing, we wondered if we'd started a trend lol.

I was kind of dying of thirst at this point. It's kind of an impossible task for me to use the bathroom on an airplane so I just didn't drink any water. Which was catching up to me now. We saw the Belle Vue lounge and decided to stop in there. Mum had a glass of wine and I asked for some water. The bartender had a really polite sounding southern accent, it made me think of "Gone with the Wind" lol. He was very nice and promised to keep me stocked up on water. Mum and I joked about the stereotype of a person at a bar shouting "Bartender! Fill me up!" only it was funny because I just wanted more water. We sat outside on the patio outside the lounge. There was no one out there. Ah I just felt so wonderful, it was everything that I wanted already! It was beautiful and peaceful, and more of that Florida heat aha.

I'd ordered a case of water and a bottle of wine for mum and I, through Instacart. I'd set the delivery between 6-7 in case of any flight delays but since we'd arrived with no issue I'd sent them a message to say they could deliver earlier if they wanted. This set off a bit of a comedy of errors, but was probably the most "dumb" thing that happened during our trip thank goodness. When we'd checked in I'd asked the CM about grocery delivery and how it would be handled. He'd said that it would go straight to bell services and we could sign for it etc. from there.

The Instacart shopper texted me early, around 5:30 to say she was in the lobby with our order. Mum said she'd get it so I didn't have to wheel all the way to the lobby. She set off and I waited on the porch with my water. A long time went by, almost half an hour, and I got a bit worried. I got a text from the shopper again that said "actually I can't come inside, I'm outside the lobby". Ohhh... my word lol. I had no way to communicate with mum as she'd decided she would keep her cellphone off to avoid roaming charges. She was probably looking for this lady in the lobby lol. I should have told the nice bartender where I was going but I wasn't thinking and dashed off. There was a massive crowd of people in the lobby! It had been almost empty about a half hour before but now it was absolutely jammed. I could barely move and couldn't see mum anywhere. I went outside and sure enough the Instacart shopper was there and I signed for our order and the bellman promised to take it up to our room. Now I had to find mum aha. I went back inside and sure enough there she was, waiting at bell services. She'd been waiting there the whole time as bell services said they had our order but then couldn't find it rofl. So strange. Anyways at least we'd got our groceries and had been reunited. We sorted everything out with bell services and then went back to Belle Vue lounge to pay the poor bartender for our drinks. He didn't mind that we'd rushed off, though I felt pretty bad about it. We went back to Belle Vue several times over our trip but we never saw him again! I guess maybe we were never there at that same time again. I never did sort out the mixup, why the shopper said she was in the lobby but then wasn't. Why bell services told mum they had our order but then didn't lol. Future events meant we didn't have to order any groceries again aha.

We finally headed for our room at this point. Ah it was lovely inside! We were on the ground floor which I was a bit worried about but I did have a roll in shower room that I'd booked. The room was facing inside the resort grounds, the quiet pool was a short walk away but we couldn't actually see it from our room. I'm sorry to say I didn't take pictures, I'd intended to but we were in that room only one night!

By this point it was about 7pm and we were hungry. I hadn't made any dinner reservations for tonight just in case of any travel issues. I thought maybe we could walk over to the Dolphin as they had good restaurants there. It's funny because I had been looking at maps before our trip and my parents were certain it was way too far to walk to the Dolphin or to Epcot from the Boardwalk. But it really wasn't! Even though I'm using my arms to wheel, it's not that I'm too weak to go anywhere aha. I actually quite like walking and keeping fit, much to everyone's shock lol.

But alas, mum did not want to walk so we took the boat. I have a soft spot for these boats also, as they are one thing I remember from our 90's trips to this resort area. I swear they used to let me sit outside though back then, maybe cause I was a cute little one lol. I'd lost my charm at this point, the captains were very strict that I had to sit inside during our trip. But I understand it is for safety, got to respect that.

We arrived at the Dolphin and decided to try Bluezoo, as they had seafood, which we both love and was a dining theme this trip aha. The prices for dinner were a little high but I'd read about the lounge menu that sounded fine for our purposes. I was worried about asking to sit in the lounge, would it be obvious we were looking to save money? But the check in staff didn't seem to mind at all, and our waitress was super nice. I had read the menu on the Disney website that said the lounge had fish and chips, which mum and I planned to split. I even checked it at the restaurant and that is what it said. But regretably our server informed us it was no longer on the menu. But it was still on the kids menu and she recommended that lol. This turned out to be perfect for me, and I just think it was really nice of her to recommend that to me, even though I was obviously not a kid, and it was less money. I regret not getting her name and putting in a compliment for her in the lobby. I hadn't quite gotten used to "pixie dust" at this time aha.

Mum got the lobster roll and we split a calamari appetizer. We were still very full afterwards. I really don't know what was wrong with us that day, we ate so little lol. We apologized to our poor waitress that we were too full for dessert and she understood, but said she couldn't let us leave without... this beautiful dessert tray! I couldn't believe it! Ah but I was wearing that magical birthday pin! Wow it was honestly the most beautiful "birthday perk" I got all trip, with my name written in chocolate! We tried in vain to finish the chocolates but our waitress helped box them up for us and we had them with breakfast the next morning lol! She really was so nice! I highly recommend Bluezoo even if you just want to order in the lounge like us!

Aww it was such a nice start to our trip so far! We headed outside to feel the Florida night heat aha. The Dolphin fountain was all lit up and the palms surrounding it, there was music playing. Wow just... a really nice start to our trip. We took some pictures which I'm not sure turned out as great as I felt while taking them aha. It was about 10pm now, 12 hours after we'd left our house that morning! We were quite sleepy and headed back to our room. This balloon with a card from Mickey was waiting for me!! Aww thanks Mickey!! We crawled into bed with happy thoughts on our minds, and fell fast asleep. Unfortunately not for long : (

Attachments

• Boardwalk chandelier.jpg
    Boardwalk chandelier.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 34
  • nanny chairs.jpg
    nanny chairs.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 34
  • birthday dessert.jpg
    birthday dessert.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Dolphin fountain.jpg
    Dolphin fountain.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Mickey balloon.jpg
    Mickey balloon.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 38
Day 1 - Around the World (Part 1)

Unfortunately after having a great first evening, our sleep was not so great as we were awoken by some crying kids in the room next to ours. They really kicked it up a notch and began to scream around 6am and we gave up and got up. You can read about the situation here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/should-i-request-a-room-change.3694200/

I was determined not to be upset at the time because it seemed like something I couldn't control and I thought probably I could take a nap later in the day and all would be well.

Even though we were up early, we took the morning fairly slow. It's funny because in my mind we got an early start to the day but that's because we arrived before lunch lol. Neither mum or I are early risers and my plan was that we would take advantage of the evening extra magic hours, so I didn't want to schedule anything before lunch just in case.

We're not big breakfast eaters either, so we just ate a banana each, sitting outside again on the Belle Vue lounge porch. I forgot to mention bananas were part of our grocery delivery the day before. Also, the nicely-accented bartender from the day before was not there aha. I'd convinced mum to purchase a refillable mug as I thought it would save her purchasing coffee every morning. It definitely would have if not for the pixie dust soon to happen! I really enjoyed sitting out on that porch, so peaceful!. I didn't really go out there often after our upgraded pixie dust happened, which is a minor gripe aha. Next time!

We wandered around the Boardwalk a little after that and looked around in the shops, but it was starting to really heat up so we sought some shade under the overhang for the boat launch and waited for a boat. We had planned to tour the world showcase at Epcot this afternoon, and were having lunch at Spice Road Table at 12:30. I wanted to get to the park before lunch today especially, because we had to activate those Canadian tickets.

A bit of a weird experience here with the boats. A boat pulled up to the Epcot side so we went down the ramp to get on. But they said they were just a training vessel and not taking any passengers. I didn't feel like going all the way back up the ramp so we waited on the dock for the next one. But oh my goodness it was hot, even to us who love it. I began to feel a little whoozy just waiting there, but the lack of sleep might have done me in also. At least I had put sunscreen on before we left the room!

At last a boat arrived that was actually taking people to Epcot aha, and I was actually happy to sit inside by the fan this time. We got to the International Gateway and headed for the ticket counter. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was quite quick, and thankfully the Mickey face turned green as we tapped our bands. We entered our first Disney park of the trip!

It was 11 exactly so World Showcase had just opened and we had about 1.5 hours to kill. We decided to go right towards France first as this was heading towards Morocco rather than go towards the UK and go all the way around World Showcase.

I was already needing some AC so we popped into the first shop in France we saw. I'm not sure in what order they were or what they were called aha, but one was a wine shop, one was a perfume shop, and the other was attached to the the bakery there and had a bunch of Beauty and the Beast stuff. We popped into almost all the shops we saw around the showcase to get some AC. To me this was the hottest day of our trip, there was no cloud cover and it was the only day with no rain at all.

I noticed there weren't many small things to buy in all the stores we went in. Like it was mostly t-shirts and mugs and toys. But I was hoping for maybe some magnets or smaller things like that. I have a friend who's obsessed with Beauty and the Beast so I thought I could get her a small gift but couldn't find anything like that. There's pins I guess but I've never really cared for those, don't really know where to put them once you buy them?

I excitedly told mum about the croque glacee (spelling!) that I was excited to try from Artisan de Glaces (again spelling lol). I'm super upset that I never did try it! I feel like sitting at home and planning, everything on all the menus looks so amazing! But then once I was there, I often either ate too much at my meals or felt too hot for a snack aha. I think someday I will take a trip where I just sample all the snacks and book less ADRs lol. Also once we were upgraded to club level I kept thinking "we can get free snacks in the lounge" and couldn't allow myself to spend money aha.

As we were leaving France we had our first bit of "Disney magic" aha. It was still not long after World Showcase had opened, and Belle was standing under a covered area with like 2 people taking pictures, no line. I hesitated because... characters kinda freak me out lol. Also Belle was a real person who could talk, what could I possibly say to her?? Belle was my favourite Disney pricess growing up. She looked the most like me (brunette where most others are blond), she liked to read like me, and she lived in a small town where everyone thought she was weird (like me lol). Ah but... this seemed like fate, she was right there with no line! At mum's urging I lined up. I wanted to send the picture to my friend who really loves Belle so I asked the CM, could they take a picture with my phone? And they happily agreed. I did end up meeting a few other characters too and the CM's all were able to take a picture on my phone for me which was nice.

Belle was so nice! Mum said I did well chatting with her lol which was good to hear. I didn't want to stand there gaping lol. I managed to say we were having lunch at Be Our Guest the next day and she promised to have the castle cleaned up nice for me. Ah, as anxious as they make me, nothing says Disney like chatting with a princess!!

I hope you don't mind if I don't post pictures of myself here (eg. with Belle etc). I'll definitely share all the pictures I take of "things" lol!

We skipped over Morocco as we were coming back here for lunch and headed for Japan next. I had heard good things about the Japanese department store in the pavilion, and I'd never been inside! It was quite neat to browse, there was a ton of stuff! I think my favourite was the room full of robes (kimonos?), which I'm guessing were authentic? They were really beautiful. There was a lot of cat merchandise I noticed lol (like things with cats on them, not things for cats aha), and I love cats! I ended up buying 2 small bowls and one large one that had little cat faces on them. I haven't actually unboxed them yet but I will post a picture once I do! I didn't end up buying them that day though, I was convinced that I shouldn't spend all my money on the first day lol. We came back and I got them later.

I think I would rate the Japanese pavilion the most beautiful, I think we spent the most time exploring that one. There were two giant (copper?) statues of samurai on horses that mum found hiding by the back entrance to the department store. Mum wanted to know about them but there wasn't a plaque or anything. We asked a CM in the shop if they were real or a replica but they didn't seem to know. We're guessing a replica as there wasn't a plaque but they were still quite stunning. Afterwards we went up the paths into the gardens that head to Katsura Grill. Very pretty spot, I had initially thought we would eventually eat at Katsura Grill but again took advantage of the free lounge food instead.

As we were leaving "Japan" the drummers started doing their thing so we watched that in the shade for a bit. Mum thought it was cool that one of the drummers was a lady lol. We headed over to the US pavilion next but mostly skipped it as there's nothing really there that appeals to us. Italy was next and we poked around there. Most of the shops had designer goods though, again not our thing. At least we now knew where Via Napoli was which was our dinner tonight aha. We spied the "donkey cart" on the way out and noticed the "tiramisu popsicle" they were advertising, but decided to wait till after lunch.

Somehow all this had not taken up much time and we had a ways to go for our reservation. One thing I noticed this trip is that we were able to cover a lot more ground than we initially thought. Maybe we were just in a walking mood lol, but World Showcase did not seem as big as we thought. We decided we'd go to Germany and then there is a gap before China, so we'd head back to Morocco for lunch.

Again there wasn't really much in Germany that interested us. And again there were so many snacks I would normally want to try but I was honestly quite cranky this day and couldn't manage it. Cranky is maybe a bad word as I was very happy. Just very hot and very tired, didn't do much eating.

At some point on the way back to Morocco, there was a bit of a blank spot between countries and Mickey and the gang suddenly appeared. I hadn't mentioned yet that World Showcase was really empty all morning, I guess because we got there when it opened? But yeah, Mickey and friends looked around a bit and their human friends were urging them different directions to go find some "new friends" to take pictures with because there was no one around. Again I hesitated a bit, don't really know why it's Mickey! But you really can't pass up Mickey and friends with absolutely no one around. I got my picture with everyone (Mickey, Donald, Pluto, Goofy), but now I realize I don't think Minnie was around? But still, I was feeling pretty amazed because I had just met so many characters without planning it, and I hadn't even been in a Disney park for 2 hours! Pretty crazy!

We headed back to Spice Road Table and got there a little after 12, so a bit early. The CM's were very pleasant and let us in early. There was a CM who had been standing out front who had already seen my button and wished me a happy birthday, so it was funny when he saw us again as we checked in.

I think I will make a separate dining review to go into detail on our meals? I feel like I'm babbling lol and trying to keep these as short as I can! I liked our meal but also can't shake the feeling that we ordered the wrong things? Also I've developed a taste for things like couscous and other foods from this region, and I had read the menu beforehand. But still the food that we got just seemed more Americanized to me than I guess I had expected. But it's Disney so really that's probably on me aha.

I'll finish off our day in the next post since this one is already long!

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying your trip report! I get excited every time you get excited.

Aww thank you so much!

I'm worried it's a huge novel! Seems much longer than the other reports I read aha. But we did so much stuff each day!

Thanks for sticking with it :)

I feel like sitting at home and planning, everything on all the menus looks so amazing! But then once I was there, I often either ate too much at my meals or felt too hot for a snack

Oh my gosh, same! Especially when I"m there for Flower and Garden Festival or Food and Wine. I make lists of all the food and then barely scratch the surface

Also once we were upgraded to club level I kept thinking "we can get free snacks in the lounge" and couldn't allow myself to spend money

Same with this too. I took my mom in October and we were upgraded to CL at the Polynesian. I had a hard time snacking in the parks b/c I knew we'd have options in the lounge later.

At some point on the way back to Morocco, there was a bit of a blank spot between countries and Mickey and the gang suddenly appeared. I hadn't mentioned yet that World Showcase was really empty all morning, I guess because we got there when it opened? But yeah, Mickey and friends looked around a bit and their human friends were urging them different directions to go find some "new friends" to take pictures with because there was no one around. Again I hesitated a bit, don't really know why it's Micky! But you really can't pass up Mickey and friends with absolutely no one around. I got my picture with everyone (Mickey, Donald, Pluto, Goofy), but now I realize I don't think Minnie was around? But still, I was feeling pretty amazed because I had just met so many characters without planning it, and I hadn't even been in a Disney park for 2 hours! Pretty crazy!

Ahh!! You found a character training! Sometimes rare characters are out for those. I've never been lucky enough to be there at the right time.

Enjoying reading about your trip! So far you've had some pretty awesome Disney magic for your birthday trip!!

Oh my gosh, same! Especially when I"m there for Flower and Garden Festival or Food and Wine. I make lists of all the food and then barely scratch the surface

Same with this too. I took my mom in October and we were upgraded to CL at the Polynesian. I had a hard time snacking in the parks b/c I knew we'd have options in the lounge later.

Ahh!! You found a character training! Sometimes rare characters are out for those. I've never been lucky enough to be there at the right time.

Enjoying reading about your trip! So far you've had some pretty awesome Disney magic for your birthday trip!!

Aha glad to see I am not alone on my failed snacking plans!

Aha yeah we had really good luck this trip! Probably the most special trip I've ever taken!

Thank you for reading :)

Day 1 - Around the World (Part 2)

Last we left off, we were having lunch at Spice Road Table. We left quite full, we'd gotten three apps to share as I didn't think two would be enough lol, but yes it definitely would have been.

It was now very hot out being around mid-day, so we decided to explore the Morocco pavilion and stay in the shade. I'd told mum about how this pavilion was designed by the actual government of Morocco, and she noticed the plaque that said "Kingdom of Morocco" and a CM told her what I had said aha. She was amazed that I had been right LOL.

This pavilion gives Japan a run for it's money I think. It's really quite stunning! There's a room with just a series of fountains and pools of water. Mum and I were amazed how cool and calming it felt, even though it was an open air room and it was like a million degrees outside. Someday I really want to try and visit "the real world" lol and see all these amazing examples of human ingenuity for real aha. But I always kind of panic thinking about travelling far away in my chair. It'd be similar cost to a Disney vacation or more, and the real world is not as accessible as Disney is... I guess I will always have the World Showcase for my world travelling fix lol.

We spent a while in Morocco I think, though we didn't buy anything. I am always wondering how authentic the things in the shops are? Like some of them like Morocco or Japan seem more authentic than say the UK shops. But maybe that's because the Japanese store is a real Japanese department store? And as I mentioned Morocco pavilion seems to have a close relationship with actual Morocco the country. So maybe those things are actually imported vs. Disney just buying up a bunch of Beatles and Rolling Stones merch aha.

We headed back past France and over the bridge to the UK next. This is the point that I noted I became "peak cranky" lol though I was determined to push on and see the rest of the countries. It was still very early somehow. We'd been pretty much the only ones at Spice Road Table and our food came out right away. Somehow my notes say we made it back to the hotel before 3 even after going through the other half of World Showcase... Maybe I wrote the time down wrong lol, I'm guessing it was more like 3:30 at the earliest by the time we got back. Still, we got through World Showcase fast!

The UK shop was different than mum and I remembered. We'd bought a lot of unique items there back in the day, but now it seemed full of like 60's British bands t-shirts and very generic stuff like swords and castle related things. I'd bought an antenna topper last trip that was a styrophoam Mickey head (no face) painted the pattern of the Union Jack. Kind of a random thing to buy but I favour small souvenirs that are easy to pack (on a plane lol) and can sit on my desk lol. Our cat had unfortunately got hold of it at some point and chewed off the ears lol so I was looking for a replacement. But there was nothing like that anymore. My mum asked about that and a few other things she'd bought before and the poor young CM was very confused. I think most the CM's who were around 4 years ago had now all graduated from the college program aha.

We left the store and there was a small crowd of 20-something ladies all sitting around. Mum asked them what they were waiting for and they excitedly told us they were the "unofficial Mary Poppins fan club" and were waiting for her to appear shortly lol. Mum wanted to wait so I could meet her but I was peak cranky remember aha. Not even Mary Poppins could make me wait around in a crowd in the heat at that point. I did ask mum if SHE wanted to meet anyone but she said no. Apparently I had met Mary Poppins on my very first Disney trip and Mary Poppins was so nice that my mum cried lol, so she was having nostalgia and wanted me to meet her again. I don't actually remember this encounter at all but I still do have a little bag of Mickey shaped sparkles that Mary apparently gave me so this really did happen I guess lol! Alas I couldn't stomach the anxiety of a character meet sadly, so we headed off to our home and native land lol.

My mum really does not like the Canada pavilion lol. She can't get over how there is "nothing to do" there aha, and if you look at the Epcot park map it is funny, because all the other countries have lots of stuff to do and Canada is the last country listed and just has two things, a movie and a restaurant lol. Still I think it's pretty, and we walked up the paths to the very top and could see the waterfall and the entrance to the Martin Short movie. On the way back down I took a picture of this flower display which I liked aha. It was pretty funny coming here because my brother had gone to university in Ottawa and had just graduated in June, a month before our trip. When we went for his grad, his gift was to stay at the Chateau Laurier, a grand hotel built in the early 20th century, where royalty, foreign dignitaries, celebrities, and basically the "elite" of society have stayed since before WWI. It's basically a Canadian, non-creepy, very historical Hollywood Tower Hotel. :rotfl2: The buildings of the Canada pavilion are meant to evoke the Chateau and Parliament (which is just across the Rideau Canal from the hotel) so it was interesting seeing the "Disney" version when we'd just seen the real ones. I heard some tourists telling their kids that this was a replica of "Canada's National Hotel" which we couldn't stop laughing about all trip.

We headed past the edge of Future World to Mexico next. This pavilion we'd seen regularly, as it's kind of a gateway from Future World into World Showcase. It was pretty crazy inside with lots of people and noise so we made the executive decision to keep going. I think we'd both reached peak cranky by that point. Regrettably this meant I did not try the avocado margherita either. I had told my brother about all the neat drinks they have at Epcot and I think this is probably the only reason he'd come with me lol.

Next up was Norway. We didn't venture too far into this pavilion as I was worried about being caught in the Frozen ride line. Can I tell you a dark secret? I have never seen Frozen lol. :scared1: And I wasn't interested in riding the ride as such lol. However Facebook reminded me that I'd taken a picture next to the Viking statue 4 years ago on this day! So I had to follow it up with another photo lol. Also I'd seen there was a museum inside one of the wooden buildings, so we walked around until we found it. There were indeed artifacts in there that had to do with Viking gods. The weapons were the things that impressed us most. They were about 1,000 years old but still looked incredibly lethal! I'm glad we stopped in here but the downside was it was a small space that was very dark. Hard to read the explanations.

We headed out to visit our last country, China. I was in the mood for a snack now and had on my snack list a green tea smoothie from Joy of Tea. Sadly when we got there it was not on the menu, despite it still showing on the Disney website menu. I noticed this a lot this trip, the Disney menu often was wrong. Guess I will have to find a different website to check next time.

I wasn't feeling any of the other things on the menu so we decided we'd get that tiramisu popsicle on the way out. We looked around in the shops in China and I was surprised that a lot of it looked the same as some things we'd seen in Japan. So maybe it's not as authentic as I thought aha.

We'd done it, we were world travelers! I was ready to celebrate with a nap lol. We headed on past Germany to Italy. The CM's working the donkey cart were very cheerful, one of the ladies chatted with us about how her birthday was just a few days after mine. Somehow mum has never had a bellini so she decided to get one and I got the popsicle. I thought it would be like ice cream or something that was frozen that tasted like tiramisu but it was literally tiramisu on a stick aha. And I love tiramisu aha. This tasted amazing to me, not sure if it was actually that good or I was just desperate for a snack at that point. Mum also loved her bellini and wants to try to make her own at home aha.

Feeling a little better after our snack we headed for the boat dock. Our dinner at Via Napoli was at 6:30 so we had plenty of time for a nap... or so I'd hoped.

Attachments

• Canada flower display.jpg
    Canada flower display.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Day 1 - Around the World (Part 3)

Wow this day was pretty jammed, I had to separate it into 3 parts!

Last we left off we were leaving Epcot to go back to the Boardwalk for a much needed nap. Unfortunately my worst fears came true and I could hear the kid(s) in the next room screaming as we approached our room. I tried to will myself to sleep, but it was no good. Mum wanted a room change but I didn't think it was possible so I asked for some advice from these boards. I stuffed some Kleenex in my ears and tried to wait it out. Results were pouring in that I should speak with the front desk so I gave in and went down to the lobby with mum.

I feel pretty dumb about this part because honestly I was such a basket case at that point that I think mum did most of the talking. The concierge suggested someone could go up and yell at the family rofl but we begged him not to do that. He said they didn't have any other accessible rooms and I definitely spoke up here and said I'd take any room he had if it was quiet and I could sleep in it aha. He did some checking and asked "did we have any experience with concierge level?". This is where I feel really dumb because I got confused and just said "uhhhh?" lol. I'd heard about club level after the new thing came out where you can get extra fastpasses for staying on that level. But I'd never heard of "concierge level". I feel like I should have at least asked "is that the same as club level?" instead of just gaping. My mum answered him "no" and he hurried off somewhere else before I could make words come out of my mouth.

When he came back, he had good news, a room on the 4th floor! It had a tub instead of a roll in shower but was still apparently one of the accessible rooms. I didn't even care at that point, we thanked him profusely for his help and dashed off to pack up again. My mum must put all of her clothes in the dressers, hanging in the closet etc at hotels which I don't understand lol. My clothes never leave my luggage bag ahaha which makes her twitch rofl.

The phone rang while mum was packing up, someone from the concierge was going to meet us at the room. We were kind of worried, had there been a mistake and we couldn't move? We headed up to the 4th floor in a tentative mood. There was a room with an ornate desk at the end of the hall, and I remember just thinking this is so weird, something is up. I thought maybe they were making us like do an incident report or something lol. An older man named Pete jumped out from behind the desk and welcomed us enthusiastically. He'd printed out our itinerary, had a new birthday pin for me, and was telling us to check out the lounge. We were very, very confused lol. He explained that he knew we'd had a stressful time and was now very concerned with "making things right" and everything would be fine and taken care of at no cost to us. My mum started to cry a bit, he was really so kind, he reminded me strangely of Jiminy Cricket lol, except obviously a person lol.

At this point we were getting tight for our Via Napoli reservation so we thanked Pete and dashed to our new room, just inside this ornate door that said "Innkeeper's Club". At this point I had pieced together that the concierge must have actually upgraded us to "concierge level" even though he hadn't said. We maybe did this dance upon entering the room lol. https://giphy.com/gifs/love-actually-NK1PGVS338OQg

The room was very similar to our room on the first floor, except I'm guessing a bit bigger, mainly from the bigger bathroom I think. There was a balcony that we hadn't had before, and I was pleased to see it was "barrier-free", I could roll right out onto it. Usually people's balconies have these huge ledges to get in and out that I can never get over. The bathroom also had tons of counter space which made me happy. One annoying thing about accessible hotel rooms is they often remove the bathroom counter so that a wheelchair can get under the sink. Except then there's nowhere to put all your stuff! And I always have loads of toiletries bahaha. The tub was a bit of a bummer because I'd been so happy to score a roll in shower room originally (these seem like they book up fastest, at least when I was booking). But my mum was here and she could help me so I wasn't too worried.

I noticed this beautiful painting on the wall and I'm not sure it was in our original room? In any case I loved waking up to it each morning!

We hastily changed and thanked Pete again on the way out and dashed to the lobby. The concierge who had helped us earlier was no longer there sadly. His co-workers informed us his name was Jim and they would pass along our thanks for the upgrade. Don't worry, we came across him another day and were able to properly thank him!

We headed back to the boats and this time there were no training vessels lol and we made good time to International Gateway. On our way to Italy we came across the Illuminations globe right at the shore... near the US pavilion I want to say? Ah I geeked out majorly over this aha. Illuminations (was) at that time my favourite fireworks show and I think it's pretty cool how the globe has all these different effects. I'd never seen it up close before like this.

After much fussing over the globe aha, we made it to Via Napoli a little after 6, a little early for our reservation. I was a little apprehensive because it was absolutely jammed in there, the waiting area and restaurant and I was kind of wondering what I'd gotten myself into aha. I'd heard Be Our Guest can be a very loud place so I was prepared for that, but Via Napoli was probably the busiest place we ate at all trip. Thankfully we were seated way at the back, in what our server told us was the new addition. I was super glad it was done because I panicked in the spring, shortly after I booked this they went down to a reduced menu to build the addition. But now the addition was done and I could order some calamari and a tiramisu martini (obsessed with tiramisu much lol??). It was much more peaceful back here than in the main room.

I'll skip a full dining review as I think I'll do separate ones later aha. I thought the calamari was the best we had all trip, and when I first tasted the carciofi pizza it tasted divine. However the leftovers didn't really hold up, they tasted very burnt, but I also had to eat them cold. And it was the most expensive non-buffet meal of our trip. So I'm kind of torn because I find myself dreaming about the food sometimes, or at least that first bite of pizza lol. But I think the price was high for what we got, even though it was good food.

Side note for Canadians or those not from the US, I had a bit of a confusion here when I ordered my martini. I look very young even though I'm close to 30 lol, so the server asked for ID. I'd read on these boards that Cdn drivers licenses are not adequate sources of ID, so you have to use a passport. Except who wants to carry their passport to a theme park? Ours went into the safe at the hotel, though we'd had them that morning to activate the tickets. The suggestion on the boards was that a photo of your passport was accepted for drinks, which is what I'd done. However the server said neither my Cdn drivers license nor the photo of my passport were acceptable but she'd let me off the hook "this one time". Left me wondering what IS acceptable ID for non-Americans at the parks, other than carrying your passport all day? Guess I should have looked it up on the Disney site. I'm not a big drinker though so I don't know that I had many more alcoholic drinks after this, and if I did I never got carded again!

Mum and I debated what to do afterwards while we ate. The simple version was to watch Illuminations and head back to the hotel. The crazy version was watch Illuminations and then go ride Test Track at night lol. My goal for this trip was to ride as many outdoor rides at night as possible lol. We kind of went back and forth on whether we were tired or not aha. We hadn't slept the night before, and hadn't had a nap, so we knew we SHOULD be tired. But we were also kind of hyped up by the whole upgrade experience and our sugary drinks lol.

Ultimately we decided we weren't tired and to use the fastpass I'd made for Illuminations, at the Future World boundary, rather than staying and watching in Italy. This would get us closer to Test Track after the show. We'd realized we hadn't ridden a ride yet so now we HAD to ride Test Track lest we spend a day at Disney without riding a ride lol (my dad would have a heart attack lol, all that money for no rides?? LOL).

I honestly think a huge part of my love for Illuminations is the torches lit up, and the guy telling you how the show will start in "just 10/5mins" lol. Also the part where he's saying that we're gathered around the fire just like people have been doing for thousands of years... and then you can hear like someone blowing out a candle and all the torches go out? Ahhh goosebumps!!!

The show was great as usual and the fastpass area was a really good spot in terms of being closest to the globe and seeing the projections on it. Not sure though if it was just the wind that day but a ton of ash was blowing our way from the fireworks. It was all over our clothes lol and made our eyes water. Granted I also cried like a baby because it was my first full day in Disney, watching my favourite fireworks show, and so much cool stuff had happened already, and just ugh, all of the feelings. https://gifrific.com/troy-saying-my-emotions-my-emotions-community/ So at least my actual tears were hidden by ash tears lol.

We waited for the masses to exit as I think the park was technically closed after the show, extra magic hours were 9-11 that night. Once things cleared we made it to Test Track and there was a really long line! Ah but it was mostly just so people could get their magic bands scanned to prove they were staying onsite. The actual line for the ride was not nearly so bad. And part of me was just glad it was a clear night and the ride was running, since I feel like this one has shut down a lot on our past trips.

Once we had done all the car designing and were about to board the actual ride, the CM's offered to let me board at the exit as the car would be level with my chair rather than sunken in at the regular loading spot. I'd never done this before but decided to take them up on it. It was kind of neat, there were catwalks all around and it felt like going backstage at a concert lol. I think it was easier for me to get in the car which helped. Though the downside is we never scanned our bands so our car design did not display on the ride. Oh well, I did not have high hopes for the poor car anyways LOL, I am an accountant not an engineer!

After our initial ride, the CM saw my birthday button and asked if we'd like to go again! Yes please!

I do miss the (90's?) version of this ride, where you were a crash test dummy lol. It felt more... dangerous bahaha. The car designing part just seems really hard to me rofl so that doesn't really make up for the lowered stakes. But that part where you're going really fast outside is still my favourite lol. I think my parents rented a convertible once and I got to ride in it but it didn't feel like Test Track! I will say though that I think it's better in daytime. Something about bursting into the sunlight aha. There wasn't really anything lit up to see from the track in the dark, except maybe Spaceship Earth, but you're going super fast anyways so it's not the best view aha.

The park was super empty when we got off Test Track, it was about 10:30 I think? We decided we didn't want to trek all the way back to the boat in World Showcase so we headed to the front exit to take a bus "home" lol. Except there is no bus that goes to Boardwalk, not anymore anyways. A CM that was directing people advised us to take the Hollywood Studios bus and ask the driver to drop us off at the Boardwalk. I was a bit concerned that we could even do that but the driver was happy to oblige and also we were "queens of the bus" LOL so no one could object.
I'm not sure what time we got back but we were very tired after a busy but amazing day! We fell fast asleep in our new quiet :worship: room lolol

Attachments

• in-room painting.jpg
    in-room painting.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 8
  • illuminations globe.jpg
    illuminations globe.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter