Best calcium/bone strength supplement?

XoxoAmy

Attends every runDisney weekend
Hi - looking for a good recommendation from runners! I have a stress fracture in my lower leg and I'm looking to purchase a calcium/vit D supplement to aid in the healing over the next 4-6 weeks. Do you have a specific brand that you trust? It's so hard to tell what's a quality product and what is junk from an online search or amazon review. Thanks!

Honestly, generic is fine if you really want to try this out--the rest is marketing, pretty colors and additives. If form factor counts, pick something that is chewy/gummy. Get something from a pharmacy or grocery aisle--or Costco if you belong.

It's my understanding your body can absorb only so much calcium at a time (600 mg sticks in my mind but could be wrong) so be sure to split it up if you're doing a high dose. Also be sure to read the label as the dose may be more than one tablet.

I've had three stress fractures (femoral in 2011, one fibula in 2013 and the other in 2016). I started getting regular bone scans after the femoral stress fracture. Osteopenia eventually progressed to a diagnosis of osteoporosis five years ago. I was told to take something like 1,200 mg of calcium a day after the osteopenia diagnosis and then was prescribed generic Fosamax on top of that when I progressed to osteoporosis.

I take Nature’s Bounty with D3 chewables. I haven’t had a stress fracture since high school, but calcium with D3 is recommended by my doctor.

It's my understanding your body can absorb only so much calcium at a time (600 mg sticks in my mind but could be wrong) so be sure to split it up if you're doing a high dose. Also be sure to read the label as the dose may be more than one tablet.

I've had three stress fractures (femoral in 2011, one fibula in 2013 and the other in 2016). I started getting regular bone scans after the femoral stress fracture. Osteopenia eventually progressed to a diagnosis of osteoporosis five years ago. I was told to take something like 1,200 mg of calcium a day after the osteopenia diagnosis and then was prescribed generic Fosamax on top of that when I progressed to osteoporosis.
Are you still running? And bones are good since 2016?

My doctor recently put me on Vitamin D supplements and recommended Nature Made. I don't know if they have a calcium/D combined supplement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter