Best character/kid friendly meal ever...

chucklhd

Earning My Ears
what was it for you and your family?
We're headed back this winter and my ADR 180 day is coming up. I'm trying to mix it up for my family which consists of myself, my parents in their 70s and 4 year old DD. So we have an interesting group to please. We're not rookies - this is trip #30 just looking for other options beyond chef Mickey :/

We love the Ohana breakfast and it is a must-do for us, every trip. The food is good (they added yogurt with an awesome homemade granola and macadamia nut butter this time!), the character interaction is good, and unlike at other character meals, I have never felt rushed. Having the food served family-style is also a plus; I don't care for character meals with buffets because you have to rush to visit the buffet between characters.

Ok, so this is probably NOT what you mean by family as it is me (32) and my mom (55) BUT Garden Grill was amazing for us. We think character meals are fun but usually expect a standard take a picture with one of us, sign something, move on. Not here, ALL of the characters "played" with us: Mickey "telling" us to eat our veggies, chip and dale sneaking around the side and back of the booth and tapping on our shoulder, Pluto having me kiss him on the nose, then when walking by would stop by me and point to nose for me to kiss again. It was a hoot!!!

Ok, so this is probably NOT what you mean by family as it is me (32) and my mom (55) BUT Garden Grill was amazing for us. We think character meals are fun but usually expect a standard take a picture with one of us, sign something, move on. Not here, ALL of the characters "played" with us: Mickey "telling" us to eat our veggies, chip and dale sneaking around the side and back of the booth and tapping on our shoulder, Pluto having me kiss him on the nose, then when walking by would stop by me and point to nose for me to kiss again. It was a hoot!!!

All family meets the family description and yes we love garden grill. They make a huge fuss over my kid. So that's on the short list of must dos

What about the new bon voyage breakfast at trattoria al forno? It has rapunzel/Flynn rider and Ariel/prince Eric. It's not a buffet which is nice.

Tie between Crystal Palace and Akershus. You can't beat the Crystal Palace location and characters for small children, and the food is just awesome-- especially for breakfast! Akershus was also wonderful. The princesses were so, so sweet and the breakfast was great. I haven't had dinner there, but everyone I know who has eaten dinner there has enjoyed it.

Honorable mentions go out to Tusker House breakfast, 1900 Park Fare Breakfast/Dinner, and 'Ohana breakfast.

I'm someone whose child guests have aged out of the character meets and meals yet still have an opinion based on my observations. Both meals at Ohana's seem enjoyable for multiple generations. The dinner doesn't have characters but does include amusing interactive games. The food is quite good as well and a definite value. This 4th of July we started our trip with dinner at Hoop de Do Musical Revue so i could get the whole "goofy" need out of the way. I admit to laughing just as hard as the kids and I already put in an ADR for December.

We love Tusker House. The atmosphere is great, food unique and the character interaction is always fun. Even if you aren't interested in characters the food is still good!

We love 1900 Park Fare for dinner. The food is delicious and the characters are hilarious!

Cape May at Beach Club for breakfast. Great variety of all kinds of breakfast food, Minnie Donald and Goofy in beach attire, and close walk to International Gateway. We always like to eat around 930 and we are good with a little snack until dinner.

We often travel as a mixed generation group of elementary aged kids, us in our late 30s, and a grandparent in their late 60s. My kids (boys and girls) still enjoy the character interaction, and when we do a character buffet we rotate between Crystal Palace, 1900, Garden Grill and Akershus. Ohana is also tasty, but we go for dinner when there's no characters. We haven't done Cape May, but have heard good things.

Our favorites are Tusker House breakfast and 1900 PF dinner. In our opinion, TH has the best buffet variety, plus you see four of the Fab Five. 1900 PF has the best character interaction...the stepsisters can't be beat!

Ours would be Garden Grill, we do dinner there and Cape May Cafe breakfast. I would also add Akershus on our list as well, since we LOVE breakfast there and having a PPO ADR is awesome.

We are adults and love character breakfasts when they first open. Our favorites are CP, Cape May, and TH.

Our favorite character meal with good food is Garden Grill - we loved Chip and Dale.
Also 1900 Park Fare dinner - the step sisters are so so funny.
Another is Akershus - we love the princesses and love the food.

I'd recommend Tusker House for a 10:30 a.m. reservation so you can bridge breakfast into lunch. My mom (in her 70s) and I did this and loved it. The characters were great (as seen in my pic on the left). We got to AK for rope drop, stopped at Starbucks for a coffee and picked up a pastry along the way to tide us over, then walked on to the safari. We made our FP reservations around the brunch reservation.

My kids love Garden Grill--they're now both in college so we send them on their own! I'd rather eat at the WS in Epcot, but my kids really like the food and characters.

Stitch at the 'Ohana breakfast was really fun, too. The food is served family style, which is nice if you'd rather not trek up to a buffet.

Last edited:
Tie between Crystal Palace and Akershus. You can't beat the Crystal Palace location and characters for small children, and the food is just awesome-- especially for breakfast! Akershus was also wonderful. The princesses were so, so sweet and the breakfast was great. I haven't had dinner there, but everyone I know who has eaten dinner there has enjoyed it.

Honorable mentions go out to Tusker House breakfast, 1900 Park Fare Breakfast/Dinner, and 'Ohana breakfast.

I was going to say tie between CP dinner and Akershus breakfast. We enjoy both very much!

I'd recommend Tusker House for a 10:30 a.m. reservation so you can bridge breakfast into lunch. My mom (in her 70s) and I did this and loved it. The characters were great (as seen in my pic on the left). We got to AK for rope drop, stopped at Starbucks for a coffee and picked up a pastry along the way to tide us over, then walked on to the safari. We made our FP reservations around the brunch reservation.

My kids love Garden Grill--they're now both in college so we send them on their own! I'd rather eat at the WS in Epcot, but my kids really like the food and characters.

Stitch at the 'Ohana breakfast was really fun, too. The food is served family style, which is nice if you'd rather not trek up to a buffet.

I'm a newbie so this might be a really dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway. What time do they base the pricing on? Is it based on your reservation time, seating time, or bill time? Did you pay breakfast price even though you also got to eat lunch options?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter