Best concierge in terms of service and food?

Thank you, I think we are going to go ahead & do it! We have a 2 1/2 yo, so will be spending afternoons at the resort. I think it will be wonderful to have something to eat before heading into the parks & a snack when we get back. I appreciate the information.

ok....so i finally took the plunge and made a decision...
sort of...
since we'll be there for 3 weeks (with a 3 night Wonder cruise thrown in for good measure) i've made reservations for the GF lodge concierge (not main building - i'm wondering if the CMs in the lodge are nicer......here's hoping.......it's just for two nights so if it's terrible no big deal....and since the GF is the only resort we've never tried, i really want to this time around....)...
and for the BC concierge, then a week later the YC concierge...
in the middle we'll be offsite at the grand cypress villas.....
i'm still debating about changing either the YC or BC to Poly just to have a taste of that one too....(then i can come back here and give the definitive comparison....:D ........)

anyway....these concierge threads have been really interesting...

Well, most of you have probably heard about my recent experience at the GF. The one post on this thread that mentioned "you'd be hard pressed to get a smile or hello" was right on target when it comes to describing my stay there. I am a HUGE GF fan (stayed there every year since 1989). In fact, many of you probably know me to be one of the first to come to the GF's defense when ever there is a bad review. i AM still a huge fan of the resort but I will stay in a regular room next time (like I usually do) and save the extra $$.

That being said, this is about food so here is my opinion. The food at the GF is probably the best I've had. The only issue I have there is the inaccessibility to soft drinks and bottled water. They do have perrier, vittel (large glass botles for pouring a glass at a time) and lemonade readily available throughout the day, however. I also really enjoyed the Beach Club lounge offerings. Less "upscale" (if that is the right word for it) than the GF but quite good nonetheless.

:)

To Misti: Doesn't it surprise you that the feedback from this forum on the GF concierge service isn't overwhelmingly positive in nature. It is to me given the "flagship" status of the GF.I wonder if the powers to be at the GF are aware of the generally feeling expressed here and are willing to address it.

I learned a while back to take every single post you read with a grain of salt.

If you think you will like it ... go for it.

Even if 10 people seem to hate it .... 10 others will love it.

The only way to find out who you are / what 10 you belong in .. is try it.

I also find that people "worry" too much about eveything. They worry to the point that they are not going to have a good time.

YOUR vacation is YOUR vacation....it's all what YOU make it. If they don't smile and you do .... who knows .. they may smile back and you may have made thier day.

Unless conditions are hellish and service is totally inept .... your trip is what you make of it.

Right before my trip to the YC in Sept. There was a huge rash of posts about how the YC did not have any Disney Magic. I started to worry and then decided not to let it sway me.

Well, we loved the YC.

Listen to your heart.

wdwo

Originally posted by infinity and beyond
To Misti: Doesn't it surprise you that the feedback from this forum on the GF concierge service isn't overwhelmingly positive in nature. It is to me given the "flagship" status of the GF.I wonder if the powers to be at the GF are aware of the generally feeling expressed here and are willing to address it.

I know that Disney is well aware of our message boards. I would think they do read them from time to time. And, it is a little surprising that I haven't read more "exceptional" reviews of the Royal Palm Club Concierge at the GF. As I mentioned, I had the usual great experience throughout the resort in general. I was just less-than-pleased with RPC, especially after my wonderful stay at the BC Concierge 5 days prior to my GF stay.

The other post is right on about "taking things with a grain of salt". You'll see glowing reviews of a particular resort one week and another one a week later than was less than satisfactory. So, yes, it does depend on YOUR stay and YOUR experience. Everyone has different expectations and different perceptions. I tried to give the most un-biased account of my recent stay. It is small fortune to stay at the RPC and I wanted to give an honest review. The GF has always been my favorite resort and I put that aside when reviewing everything. But, some things can't be overlooked. A warm friendly smile and a hello are not asking much when you are staying on concierge, or any type of room. And, even with my less than wonderful stay at the GF, I still had a WONDERFUL vacation. :)

i wonder if many of these bad GF experiences were last summer..
i know that last summer the GF had the problem of loss of staff to the AKL (they took the most experienced, best staff for the new resort....though not just from the GF....also from the BC and YC....)...
anyway, i have lots of friends who swear by the GF and said the staff wasn't quite up to snuff last summer....so maybe that's why....or maybe not...
i was wrong about our reservations...we actually have 3 nights at the GF concierge.....it'll be interesting how the lodge concierge is.....
but you're right whoever said it, a smile is the least you should get at those rates....
although, i know there is a school of thought that upper crust should be more serious or something like that.....(pretencious is perhaps the word i'm looking for)....
we stay in concierge rooms whenever we travel (except for WDW until now).....the problem of pretenciousness pops up now and again.....sometimes when you least expect it (and in some hotels where i most expect it, it's absent).....
it's a funny form of snobbery on the part of the staff....
whatever...
just some nonsense on a thursday night....
well i'll let you all know how the GF lodge concierge is, as compared to the YC, BC and hyatt concierge for that matter.....
i really should somehow sneak in the poly concierge just for fun...
by the way....anyone ever been to Vegas?.....any ideas where we should stay there? :D

Yes, I've been to Vegas, just got back a week and a half ago.
I've stayed at Treasure Island and the Rio. I found TI rooms to be nice, but very small. The Rio has HUGE rooms, and they have a "split bath" like at WDW. They also have a minifridge and coffee maker in each room. I really like their buffet, the Sky Show and the fact that they are jsut enough off the strip to keep the transience factor down. They do offer a free shuttle that drops you at Harrahs (mid-strip) that runs pretty continously.

If I ever go back it will be to the Rio. Let me know if you awnt any more LV info :)

My bad GF concierge experience was August 2000.

Anne

Anne,
i bought a couple of books about las vegas...we'll only spend a few days there, if we actually get there...
my original plan for the BIG summer trip (one month every summer) was scottsdale to las vegas to yosemite to SF to LA (and disneyland/california adventure of course) then back east for a few days in NYC (we took the kids there for the first time last year....albeit 2 weeks before 9-11, but they fell in love with it almost as much as we did when we lived there for a few years.....so we figured on another few days there this summer....and New york can use the tourism i would imagine...)..
but then the kids put their collective feet down and said no way.....we're going to disney world....you'd think after i don't know how many summers of 3 weeks at WDW, they'd be interested in something else....but no...WDW or bust...
so who am i to tamper with a winning formula.....
but now, 'the kid' wants to add on disneyland AFTER the WDW trip....
so i figure if i do it (hey....you only live once) we'll be as close as we'll ever be to LV so we may as well....it seems like a fun place in a glitzy over the top sort of way.....something to experience at least once....
from what i read in the books i think we might like....umm....now i can't remember the names....any hotel that has a truly spectacular pool would be up our alley....with lots of waterfalls and grottos....i can't remember...maybe it was mandalay bay.....but several of them seemed to fit the bill (and the room rates were practically free......it's hard to believe it can be that cheap there)......
is the cirque de soleil that's in LV as amazing as the one at disney (truly truly amazing....which reminds me....i'd better get tickets for it before i forget)...

To Disneyholic family: If you are going to LV you MUST see "O" at the Bellagio. This Cirque show is alittle pricey at $100/ticket but it is worth every penny. We have seen it 3 times!!!! The show is sold out every night(2 shows), so advance purchase is highly recommended.

infinity and beyond...

thanks!....i just saw that today in the Brit's guide to LV i have...
there are two cirque de soleil shows, one at the bellagio and one at treasure island i think....
we'll try to do both...
my only problem now is trying to figure out what days we're going to be there so i can make reservations...
this summer vacation is going to be 6 weeks long!!! (hard to believe isn't it)...
3 weeks in WDW (including the cruise) and then 2 weeks in "the west" (we're thinking grand canyon, LV, yosemite, SF, LA - specifically disneyland), then 1 week for the official "home visit" (translation: shop till we drop on our old home turf - metro detroit) then back across the atlantic (perhaps with 2 days in NYC before we have to get in that big metal bird).....wow....i'm exhausted just thinking about it....
as for ticket prices...i think the one at the bellagio is $120 now, but i'm sure it's worth it....we adored the one in WDW (and are planning to see it again this summer)...

Well, I upgraded our reservation at the Poly (6/2-6/8) to concierge! I used code CIF for my existing reservation & the package went down $200, with concierge! I am so excited! Thank you all for the advice & info, I can't wait!

The Cirque at Treasure Island-LV(Mystere) is also very good and alot like La Nouba at DTD. We have seen Mystere 5 times as guests of the Mirage Hotel and enjoyed it each time. It seems each time we visit LV someone in our group hasn't seen it. So they have to twist our arms to go again!(LOL). I am sure you will enjoy both Mystere and "O" during your visit. Oh by the way, where in Metro Detroit are you from? We have a home in Rochester Hills and spend our winters in Arizona. No more snow shoveling for us!!!!!!

talk about a small world eh?

almost neighbors..
we're originally from Bloomfield Hills, but have been working overseas for years and years and years and years.....

funny you should mention arizona...
my original trip this year was going to be only in the west, but the kids vetoed that idea...they want WDW or nothing...
but my plan had been to spend a week at...hmmm....what's it called?....oh....the phoenician...or phoenicia or something like that, in Scottsdale......see the grand canyon and do some early morning hiking and lots and lots of swimming...

then a week in LV, followed by a few days in yosemite....then SF, then down the coast to LA etc....

i still really would like to go to scottsdale but i just don't see it in the cards this year...
maybe i could campaign for a week on my own at canyon ranch....after all the planning that's going into this trip, i'm going to need a vacation....:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter