Best cough suppressant?

maslex

DIS Veteran
Have a dry cough that has been just hanging around. Can't get rid of it. Have to go to store after work . What's the best OTC for suppressants?

Changing my blood pressure medicine worked for me. Dry cough was one of the side effects and nothing, I mean nothing helped the cough.

Nyquil Cough is the only thing that works for me. Hope you feel better soon!

DayQuil for me combined with hard candy (and/or Halls cough drops) & lots of fluids.

I was going to say to get something with alcohol in it. A lot of OTC products proudly proclaim "ALCOHOL FREE" but I think it helps calm a cough and helps to sleep.
Hope you're feeling better soon:)

Robitussin is usually what works for me. If your doctor or urgent care tries to prescribe Tessalon Perles, these don't work worth a crap for anyone I know who has used them!

Hope you get well soon. Not to be too dramatic, but I once had a lingering dry cough so I went to the doctor and it was pneumonia. The cough being dry was the main indicator of that, and they did a chest x-ray to confirm. I was given a prescription and all was good after that!

Delsym works best for me. Also, I had a random cough that got worse when I went to bed - turned out to be reflux irritating my throat. Try an antacid....

Robitussin is usually what works for me. If your doctor or urgent care tries to prescribe Tessalon Perles, these don't work worth a crap for anyone I know who has used them!

Funny you should write that! I just got those Tessalon things last week and gave up on them after a few days. I've had a cough for a couple of weeks now, with a lot of chest congestion. They also prescribed codeine for night but I don't think the dose was high enough because I was still up for hours at night coughing. I finally went back to my Target version of robitussin with the expectorant and supressant. Gradually getting better.

Over the counter codeine is available in some states. Dextromethorphan works somewhat, but it's not really all that effective in the recommended dosage. And taken in higher than the recommended dosage it can produce euphoria and possibly hallucinations, which is why a lot of kids abuse it these days. I remember when I buy it there's usually something popping up on the register asking for the cashier to verify if the purchaser is at least 18.

Diphenhydramine might be useful as a cough suppressant. I've seen some labels that show it as the only active ingredient in cough medicine. It will make you drowsy though, but if you're at home nursing a cold it's fine.

Last time I was sick Tessalon Perles were the only thing that stopped me from coughing. I wasn’t able to sleep because every time I laid down I was coughing up a storm. Combine them with (generic) heavy duty cold medicine and I finally got some sleep.

Been coughing a week, every muscle hurts and I sound like a huge barking walrus. On antibiotics. Went back to pharmacy and she suggested this. After a couple doses could feel difference and 24 hours later the coughs coming in short stints. Can say finally on upswing and breathing easier. I like I can take every 4 hours.

a66132a8-ba8b-4e0b-9f26-2a29c97b1b2f.png

Attachments

• F82F1EFB-E4BF-48A3-A402-7DC7131608A8.jpeg
    F82F1EFB-E4BF-48A3-A402-7DC7131608A8.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 5
When we were in France in October, I caught a cold and a cough. I found the best ever over the counter cough medicine called Toplexil. It is not approved for sale in the US and you cannot even get in throughout Europe. I am telling you it was more effective than codeine and gave me just the right amount of feeling in la-la land and let me sleep. The active ingredients are guaifenesin/oxomemazine. Seriously, I have pneumonia a few years ago and nothing would help me. I wish I had this then.

My husband is a licensed pharmacist and not currently practicing. It is always interesting what you can find over the counter in other places.

I may have brought back a couple of bottles with me and am hoarding them for my next bout with the crud...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter