Best EP Resort for Our Family???

Erica Ladd

DIS Veteran
This will be our first trip to Universal. Our party consists of DH and I, plus 3 kids - DS19, DD15 and DS12.

They are getting big so I'm thinking of spoiling them and getting 2 rooms (seems cheaper than a huge suite). We really need 4 sleeping surfaces, but I think DS12 would be fine on the floor if he was with his siblings.

Do all of them have connecting rooms? Is that something that I need to call for? Is there anything that's absolutely worth it? I did look at a deluxe room which could fit us all if my youngest slept on the floor but I think the kids would appreciate their own space (as would DH and I lol).

They are independent and can go to/from parks or Citywalk on their own if they want to leave or get themselves safely back to the hotel if they want to stay and we want to go.

I guess I'm looking at ease of commuting between parks/hotel/citywalk, decent onsite eating options or close proximity to some, and of course price since we will need 2 rooms instead of one. Thanks for any input. I have a lot of planning to do!! Oh - and we are looking at going week/weekend before Christmas for a 2 night stay with 3 full days

You don't need much planning for Universal if you have EPs.

For hotels, HRH and RPR are nearest to the parks and CityWalk. I love taking the ferry, so I really like PHB. It is a bit more upscale than RPR (haven't been to HRH yet) and the rooms are much larger. A standard 2 Queen at PBH is 450 sq ft, RPR is 335, and HRH is 375. If you go with one room, then PBH would be best. Keep in mind that there is a $40 per night fee for a third person over 18 in a room. RPR would be the cheapest is you go for two rooms. You can ask the hotel about adjoining rooms, but I assume they all can accommodate that.

Have you looked into the Club level Future Rock Star Suite at Hard Rock? The cost is about the same as two garden view non-club rooms but with the perks of club access. The suite has one king bed and two twin beds. Hard Rock is a 5 minute walk from Universal Studios and 6-7 minute to IOA and CityWalk.

Do you know if you need to call to reserve them? I’m leaning towards RP or HRH

I would recommend a Jurassic suite at RP or a deluxe room at hard rock or even a kids suite at HR a CL kids suite at HR is over rated IMO for the price they usually are, I’m not even sure what the CL will be like since this Covid crap, and HR is one of our favorites and we’ve stayed many nights, we have our deluxe booked again this fall at HR it’s one of our favs.

Do you know if you need to call to reserve them? I’m leaning towards RP or HRH
If you want connecting rooms, I would call to book them.

I always call for booking my reservation as I have requests that are not listed in the online booking site.

Both hotels are great!
Can’t go wrong with either one of them.

What sways me is RP has 3 different eateries onsite.
Jakes is open until 2:00 am

I’d lean towards Hard Rock with kids going to and from the park. Hard Rock is a 3 minute walk from the parks and Citywalk, and just personally even though they are all extremely close my family feels like HR is “IN” the park/CW complex.

Also look into APH rates (only one member needs an annual pass to get the rates) but that can shave a lot off your room depending on the timing (and who knows how covid will affect prices).

I’m more than willing to look at AP stuff as DH and I plan on visiting the area over the next year. How do I see AP discounts? I think my kids would like HRH as well

Check out the UO hotel forum

Keishashadow has a sticky about the APH
Use the link she has listed to search out your dates that the AP currently cover.

The link automatically updates when new ap are added.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter