Best guesses as to what the rental market will be like when WDW reopens?

I'm a renter, but didn't have anything booked until January 2021...hoping its all worked out by then, but this whole fiasco inspired me to become an owner as well...come on ROFR!
Us too!!! We have a July 14 trip that I can push as late as Sept but right now I'm rolling the dice & keeping it. We are going to wait to see how the DS opening goes. We are on day #26 for ROFR - hoping to hear today!

For reservations in the next 3 month the point cost for private rentals has softened significantly with lot of $15/pt and some 12 to 14

While there have been some "specials" from the rental companies in the same range, it will be interesting to see if they can hold their standard price as high as it was before covid

For reservations in the next 3 month the point cost for private rentals has softened significantly with lot of $15/pt and some 12 to 14

While there have been some "specials" from the rental companies in the same range, it will be interesting to see if they can hold their standard price as high as it was before covid
Given that the brokers already barely pay the owners enough for their points, I cannot imagine that they will lower their $/pt unless it cuts into their own profits. David’s raised their rates in January by 12% but only increased the pay out to owners by 3.5%.

Given that the brokers already barely pay the owners enough for their points, I cannot imagine that they will lower their $/pt unless it cuts into their own profits. David’s raised their rates in January by 12% but only increased the pay out to owners by 3.5%.
Yes is priced gets squeezed in the end it is the owners who would absorb the reduced point value. This is what we are are seeing in the private market and by the rental specials, I am guessing for some short life points in the commercial rental market.

Not all that different from what we are seeing in the resale market

Prices have gotten out of whack on the other end too. I paid $16/point through David’s for a rental last year. Now he wants $19-$20. At a certain point the savings aren’t worth the associated risks.

Prices have gotten out of whack on the other end too. I paid $16/point through David’s for a rental last year. Now he wants $19-$20. At a certain point the savings aren’t worth the associated risks.
While I agree with you, I think it's going to depend a lot more on what type of discounts Disney decides to offer for its on site resorts. If/When we start seeing the return of 30 - 45% discounts on rooms or packages with free dining and/or special tickets & amenities, rental prices will have to come way down.

Until DVC adjusts studio points to better balance unit size demand this will continue

While I agree with you, I think it's going to depend a lot more on what type of discounts Disney decides to offer for its on site resorts. If/When we start seeing the return of 30 - 45% discounts on rooms or packages with free dining and/or special tickets & amenities, rental prices will have to come way down.

Another possibility is that with reduced park limits Disney doesn't reduce prices because their will be enough demand, especially if they give priority access to onsite guests. Then next year we have the 50th, so that should have high demand.

It really is going to come down to how much demand is out there from people wanting to go and feeling safe enough to go.

Certainly right now, private rental rates have come down $1-2 per point to the $15-$17 range and there isn't quiet as much interest as previous years.

As an experienced renter, we are in the very likely never again camp. At this point the savings over cash are not enough (even with the current level of discounts and not the speculated rise in them) to account for the less convenient booking process, the need to plan further out, and the big one for the foreseeable future, the gamble of a shut down happening again. Prior to our experience, I was willing to deal with the inconvenience and the further out booking for the savings. Absolutely not going to do that for a shrinking amount of savings and the aftermath of this cancelled trip. I'm looking forward to being able to book the resort we want without sitting on a wait list for weeks or even months lol (multi generational trip problems).

I think there are a lot more unsatisfied people than it seems. I too watched David's delete comment after comment after comment, and delete their review section entirely after it became filled with unhappy customers. I also think this is going to balloon when the reality of the vouchers sets in, in terms of difficulty to book, but also loss in value, because although they are for the same dollar amount prices have gone up since most impacted reservations have been booked. My total reservation costs about $2,500 more for the same dates in 2021 as it did in 2020.

Och, that sucks!

We are in chargeback limbo instead. I want no part of the voucher mess lol.

Just illustrating one of many voucher issues that may rear their heads later and anger those who are satisfied with them for now. If my quick math is right a voucher would get us 2-3 less nights over 2 studios with the same dates just a year later. 🤦🏻‍♀️

We are in chargeback limbo instead. I want no part of the voucher mess lol.

Just illustrating one of many voucher issues that may rear their heads later and anger those who are satisfied with them for now. If my quick math is right a voucher would get us 2-3 less nights over 2 studios with the same dates just a year later. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I agree totally with you!!! We rented points several times, but this has been a nightmare working with these brokers. I had 2 reservations during this mess with 2 different brokers. NEVER AGAIN!!! Let me know if you have any luck receiving funds back. Will be interesting to see how many brokers are left standing thru all this voucher mess.
All this frustration lead us to buy a resale contract & we should hear any day about ROFR but Disney is really dragging their feet during this time.

As an experienced renter, we are in the very likely never again camp. At this point the savings over cash are not enough (even with the current level of discounts and not the speculated rise in them) to account for the less convenient booking process, the need to plan further out, and the big one for the foreseeable future, the gamble of a shut down happening again. Prior to our experience, I was willing to deal with the inconvenience and the further out booking for the savings. Absolutely not going to do that for a shrinking amount of savings and the aftermath of this cancelled trip. I'm looking forward to being able to book the resort we want without sitting on a wait list for weeks or even months lol (multi generational trip problems).

I think there are a lot more unsatisfied people than it seems. I too watched David's delete comment after comment after comment, and delete their review section entirely after it became filled with unhappy customers. I also think this is going to balloon when the reality of the vouchers sets in, in terms of difficulty to book, but also loss in value, because although they are for the same dollar amount prices have gone up since most impacted reservations have been booked. My total reservation costs about $2,500 more for the same dates in 2021 as it did in 2020.
I'm with you. If it makes you feel better, my broker has also been deleting comments too. I was suppose to make my second payment with my broker (we are talking thousands here) and they told me it wouldn't be refunded. Yeah ok, you ignore my emails, you have tons of 1 star reviews, you will do nothing to accommodate me (not even *ask* the owner to rebook when I offered to pay an additional rebooking fee and remainder upfront) and you want more money for a resort that's closed indefinitely? hahahahahahahaha.

I am an owner who has a pretty good quantity of points, and we use them. Right now I have over 35 days of total rooms reserved for my family in the month of October. Plus we are going for a week in late July!!! But I rent out whatever is left over. I have 4 or 5 people who have arranged to rent directly from me, with their reservations happening in September through December. Up until a few months ago, I was charging $18 a point, and I expect to probably get that in the future. We will see.

IT IS TRUE THAT DISNEY WILL BE OFFERING GOOD DISCOUNTS FOR HOTEL ROOM RENTALS, AT FIRST. BUT, they also will have reduced park capacity, so I think they are also going to need to LIMIT HOTEL RENTALS, since people who rent rooms will be very unhappy if they can't get into the parks. So, I think they are going to rent those rooms out, until they reach their capacity. And then they are going to stop giving good discounts. I expect this to happen within a month or so from now. Once they have rented all the hotel space they can, anyone who wants to 'stay at Disney' will be pushed towards DVC, since Disney is NOT restricting the number of DVC bookings. And I'm not sure they can.

So, I have a number of people who have rented from me, and I expect them to keep their reservations in the Fall. If they can't, then I will try to rent out those confirmed reservations, OR, roll over (bank) the points if possible. I try VERY HARD to serve the people who trust me enough to rent from me. I have one reservation for a family for a week at Kidani. Initially it was scheduled for May 10th, and then I moved it to early June, and finally I moved it to end October/Early Nov for them. We are still waiting for one single day on the waitlist, but if it doesn't come through, I made a backup plan for them and reserved the necessary days at OKW. If the waitlist day at Kidani comes through, I will either cancel the OKW and bank the points, or consider renting out the confirmed OKW reservation.

The point is, I tell ALL my people who rent from me that THERE ARE NO REFUNDS, and I put that in my contract, but that I will work with them if possible. And I have done exactly that. However, though I don't need to, because the contract says I don't, I am also willing to let them walk, and I will try to rent out their rooms for them, and if I can, then I will send them however much money I get from that rental. So, so far, I have not lost anything and my renters haven't lost anything.

I know my people have needed to trust me, and I do realize that not everyone IS trustworthy, but I am so glad that I am not renting to them through one of the agencies. That just seems like a big mess right now.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter