Best non-signature restaurants at the resorts or Disney Springs?

maxiv

the guy from overseas
Hey guys,

my girlfriend and I just booked our DVC rental resorts for two weeks in December! (AKL Savannah view and OKW)
We’re flying over from Germany, she hasn’t been since she was little and I haven’t been since 2012 - but I am aware of all the changes as I follow the community and everything that I happening quite closely.
We’re huge foodies and would love to eat at all the amazing signature restaurants, but it’s just not in the.

what are your favorite non-signature restaurants at the resorts or Disney Springs (or the parks, if you want ;-))?
ill take Sana’a out of the game right away since I’m afraid that half the answers might be Sanaa which I also love ;)

Last edited:
We love Boma, so that'd be at the top of my list! We have had good meals at The Wave, Raglan Road (I know- you said resorts, but I am thinking non-signature in general), Ale&Compass. I want to try Olivia's and Grand Floridian Cafe sometime; both seem to be real sleepers, getting great reviews but not mentioned often. NOT a fan of Chef Mickey's or Kona Cafe. We've eaten at Ohana several times but each time the quality seems to have slipped a bit more, so not sure I can recommend this.

The wave, gran Floridian cafe, home coming, polite pig, teppan Edo, morimoto Asia and Yak and Yeti .

At your resorts there are two great options, Sanaa at AKL and Olivia's at OKW. I also really like Toledo at CSR. Great tapas and views. In DS, our favorites are Homecomin' and House of Blues.

Raglan Road, Puck’s Bar, Wine Bar George, Homecomin’ Morimoto lunch, Toledo, Sebastian’s, Yak & Yeti, Topolino breakfast, Al Forno breakfast, Trail’s End brunch, Artist Point, Skipper’s Canteen, Spice Road Table

I'll focus more on lounges as they offer some of the better food and cheapest options anymore. To that end:
- Nomad Lounge: good vibe, good food, easy seating
- Jock Lindsay's: nice location, fairly unique drinks and food
- Geyser Point: may have to eat at the bar, but the food is solid and drinks good
- Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar: excellent wine list, antipasto menu, can order Tutto Italia next door, lovely ambiance
- Brown Derby: the lounge area outside; good food and drinks

Would have recommended Territory Lounge before Snow White took over Artist Point. Now, TL has become the de facto waiting area for the character meal, so the quiet, relaxing ambiance is completely gone.

what are your favorite non-signature restaurants at the resorts or Disney Springs (
Seeing your are staying at AK - Boma is good for breakfast and Sanna over at kidani is a good choice for a lunch or dinner.

MK - Liberty tree tavern is great - love the gooey cake!
AK - tusker is a great buffet, but it is a character meal so you may or may not want that.
HS - unfortunately not very many great TS meals - Mama melrose is good, but not outstanding. Brown Derby is amazing. There is nothing saying you have to spend a ton at a signature restuaruat. You could go for just the meal - no apps or dessert and grab a QS dessert later.
Epcot - there are many great options here so you really have your pick. I think the one place to stay away from is the TS restaurant inside the Mexico pyramid - there is another TS one outside that is much better if you want Mexican.

at DS - homecoming is our favorite!

Any other opinions on this? :-)

Boma for breakfast or dinner

Ohana at Poly. Wasn't as rushed as it's been in the past. Now on my recommended list. Dined in December 2019.

Love the Wave at CR; hidden gem.

Toledo at CSR; my new fav. One of the best Disney meals I've had in a while. Top of my list. Pork Chop, grouper, tomato bread and heirloom tomato salad were wonderful. I'd eat here twice on a short trip it was that good! Dined in December 2019.

Terralina at Disney Springs - Ordered off the abbreviated lunch menu. Split a meatball sandwich and calzone and both were very good and very reasonable. I would consider them for dinner based on the quality of the lunch. Dined in December 2019

Homecoming at Disney Springs-always good.

Cape May Cafe - Crab legs and steamed clams. All you can eat.

I also love Grand Floridian Cafe, Trail's End Buffet (good value). Love Chefs de France but usually order a few apps like the onion tart and escargot.

I'll focus more on lounges as they offer some of the better food and cheapest options anymore. To that end:
- Nomad Lounge: good vibe, good food, easy seating
- Jock Lindsay's: nice location, fairly unique drinks and food
- Geyser Point: may have to eat at the bar, but the food is solid and drinks good
- Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar: excellent wine list, antipasto menu, can order Tutto Italia next door, lovely ambiance
- Brown Derby: the lounge area outside; good food and drinks

Would have recommended Territory Lounge before Snow White took over Artist Point. Now, TL has become the de facto waiting area for the character meal, so the quiet, relaxing ambiance is completely gone.
Is the food in the lounges any cheaper than in their respective restaurants!?

Is the food in the lounges any cheaper than in their respective restaurants!?
Generally speaking, yes. Most of the reason is that you're not paying for a full entree in most cases. It's rather like going to a sit down restaurant and making your meal out of appetizers. And that's the way we most often prefer to eat, especially at Disney where the prices are high vis-a-vis the quality of food you receive. For example, at Nomad's, I had the bread service (not as extensive as Sanaa's but still good) while my wife had the Wagyu beef bowl. Total? $31, less than most entrees at a TS anymore. Further, we prefer to not overeat on vacation, enjoying small plates wherever we can. That way, we get a better variety for less cost, as well. In our experience, the quality of the lounges' food is better than many TS and even signature restaurants. The Wagyu beef bowl was very flavorful, had the bite of kimchi with the depth of the beef sitting on a bed of well-cooked rice. Toss in two glasses of wine, no, three glasses of wine, and our dinner came out to be around $70, plus we have TIW. Cheap? No. But had we gone into Tiffin's (which we enjoy immensely), we'd have wanted to have an entree (which start at $42), likely split it and ordered either one or two appetizers (can't get the beef bowl), and still had our wine. Total cost would have been $100+. Besides, we like not being constantly tied to ADRs on our trips; lounges give us a way to eat well and be flexible.

The Wave at CR is a great retreat (must do the bacon and egg appetizer). Homecomin' is excellent at DS. For your viewing pleasure:

66727330_10220342749945857_236723801193185280_o.jpg

Last edited:
Generally speaking, yes. Most of the reason is that you're not paying for a full entree in most cases. It's rather like going to a sit down restaurant and making your meal out of appetizers. And that's the way we most often prefer to eat, especially at Disney where the prices are high vis-a-vis the quality of food you receive. For example, at Nomad's, I had the bread service (not as extensive as Sanaa's but still good) while my wife had the Wagyu beef bowl. Total? $31, less than most entrees at a TS anymore. Further, we prefer to not overeat on vacation, enjoying small plates wherever we can. That way, we get a better variety for less cost, as well. In our experience, the quality of the lounges' food is better than many TS and even signature restaurants. The Wagyu beef bowl was very flavorful, had the bite of kimchi with the depth of the beef sitting on a bed of well-cooked rice. Toss in two glasses of wine, no, three glasses of wine, and our dinner came out to be around $70, plus we have TIW. Cheap? No. But had we gone into Tiffin's (which we enjoy immensely), we'd have wanted to have an entree (which start at $42), likely split it and ordered either one or two appetizers (can't get the beef bowl), and still had our wine. Total cost would have been $100+. Besides, we like not being constantly tied to ADRs on our trips; lounges give us a way to eat well and be flexible.
You put together a very compelling stream of arguments right there - thank you and well done!

Our favorites are Captain Cooks at Poly, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot(we love that cold noodle salad), Baseline Tap House at Hollywood Studios for Charcuterie and beers and Homecomin' at Disney Springs. Also, the Brown Derby Lounge is a great option for some drinks and appetizers.

At your resorts there are two great options, Sanaa at AKL and Olivia's at OKW. I also really like Toledo at CSR. Great tapas and views. In DS, our favorites are Homecomin' and House of Blues.
Attempted to eat at Olivia’s in July wasn't busy but had to wait 40mins in bar ( as I was there with my brother really did not mind. After our wait was called in restaurant and sat down . we waited and waited and waited no one served us and the restaurant was half empty eventuall6 went back into bar disgusted .Bar person asked us why we were back and explained to her that no one was interested in serving just walking in and out for 20mins.
Bar person went in back and the chef appeared .Apologised profusely and provided drinks and a meal for nothing at the bar. Had a wonderful evening in the small bar with off duty cams and was driven back to BWV by the luggage guy about 12:30 .we had a wonderful IRISH Night

Attempted to eat at Olivia’s in July wasn't busy but had to wait 40mins in bar ( as I was there with my brother really did not mind. After our wait was called in restaurant and sat down . we waited and waited and waited no one served us and the restaurant was half empty eventuall6 went back into bar disgusted .Bar person asked us why we were back and explained to her that no one was interested in serving just walking in and out for 20mins.
Bar person went in back and the chef appeared .Apologised profusely and provided drinks and a meal for nothing at the bar. Had a wonderful evening in the small bar with off duty cams and was driven back to BWV by the luggage guy about 12:30 .we had a wonderful IRISH Night
Have to say, we often get better service at bars/lounges, too.

I'm sorry to hear this but glad that your evening still turned out well. I guess ever restaurant can have an off night, I hope this does not become a common occurrence at Olivia's.

I definitely agree with Boma's breakfast (my favorite buffet on property) and Sanaa for lunch.

I'm sorry to hear this but glad that your evening still turned out well. I guess ever restaurant can have an off night, I hope this does not become a common occurrence at Olivia's.
Don’t rise to bad service just use my feet and continue to enjoy good company

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter