Best offsite hotels for couple

tink89

DIS Veteran
What would be the best Good neighbor hotel? Not in terms of proximity to the park but more hotel than motel. We have stayed at the Hilton before and liked it.

We have the Sheraton booked in club level concierge theme park view. I have booked many club level rooms with them before but none at DL. Still debating to stay at PPH. Any really nice hotels in the area.

We are going 1/19- 1/21 just a couples trip with DH. We are staying on site at DLH in December and will stay on site in sept/oct for a a halloween trip I promised DD

ETA: Would you stay at PPH over offsite just to be closer to the restaurants? OR offsite and explore around town?

Last edited:
Courtyard is the nicest off site walkable hotel IMO. Amenities are closest to a full service hotel. Having stayed in many properties in both categories many of the “motles” are as nice of not nicer than the full service hotels in the area.

Courtyard is the nicest off site walkable hotel IMO. Amenities are closest to a full service hotel. Having stayed in many properties in both categories many of the “motles” are as nice of not nicer than the full service hotels in the area.
Courtyard theme park? I think i looked at it but could only find 2 queens instead of a king. I will check it again.
Which motels would you consider to be nice or at least as nice as a hotel?

I don't need walk-able since it will be just DH and I. But also not more than 15 minutes or at least a shuttle. closer would be nice. We will not be at the parks from open to close so a nice hotel with maybe a nice restaurant or bar would be nice.

I am really trying to stay offsite.

I stayed at the Sheraton in September, 14th floor. Great room, didn't have a resort view but liked everything else about it. Walk to Downtown Disney/Disneyland was easy too.

IMG-7530.jpg

IMG-7534.jpg

Hotel Indigo. My wife and I stayed there last week and it was great. Its definitely a hotel made for adults. It took us 10 minutes to walk to Disney's front gate every morning. Great bathrooms, super beds and they don't charge for parking. Lots of places to eat, drink and shop right outside the front door as well. If you book a while in advance on their parent company website (IHG.com) you can get some really good rates.

The Marriot Convention Center is nice, not kid centered and sometimes you can get shockingly good rates. There is a bar/resteraunt, room service, nice hotel pool etc. . . You could walk it, but an Uber is 5 dollars. THat is always the first hotel I check. I have also heard good things about Indigo. The Courtyard Themepark, also nice but kid centered. The standard room has two queens and bunkbeds. The suite has a King. Not sure I would be willing to pay those prices for adults who can Uber when the Marriot Convention Center is a million times nicer. Or you could stay concierge at the PPH for less.

I stayed at the Sheraton in September, 14th floor. Great room, didn't have a resort view but liked everything else about it. Walk to Downtown Disney/Disneyland was easy too.
Thats good to hear. I have stayed at many Sheraton in club level and not and they can either be great or not so great. This is reassuring. The room was about $350 for two nights with club level so i'm thinking its great considering what i could be paying on site.

Hotel Indigo. My wife and I stayed there last week and it was great. Its definitely a hotel made for adults. It took us 10 minutes to walk to Disney's front gate every morning. Great bathrooms, super beds and they don't charge for parking. Lots of places to eat, drink and shop right outside the front door as well. If you book a while in advance on their parent company website (IHG.com) you can get some really good rates.

I stayed at a hotel Indigo once. I think while in Mexico. I hated it and have never stayed at another. I know all are not the same but its one of those i rather not chance it kinda things.

The Marriot Convention Center is nice, not kid centered and sometimes you can get shockingly good rates. There is a bar/resteraunt, room service, nice hotel pool etc. . . You could walk it, but an Uber is 5 dollars. THat is always the first hotel I check. I have also heard good things about Indigo. The Courtyard Themepark, also nice but kid centered. The standard room has two queens and bunkbeds. The suite has a King. Not sure I would be willing to pay those prices for adults who can Uber when the Marriot Convention Center is a million times nicer. Or you could stay concierge at the PPH for less.

I will check out the Marriott convention center. The theme park one looks great but i do not need a suite with bunks and a kid water park reminding me that DD is at home. she does not want to come on this trip because she said she will have enough Disney with out December trip. I might need to get a DNA check on her because she seems to be missing the Disney gene.

We like the Sheraton and stay there often. But for that property, we never book club level and only stay on that level if we get a free upgrade. That lounge isn't like a regular club lounge because of all the kids running unsupervised. The food isn't very good (cheap, greasy), and the kids touch the food or families take all of it for themselves, so there isn't any left for other guests. It is hardly a relaxing atmosphere -- we usually choose to relax elsewhere. But we've always had very good service at the Sheraton. The Hyatt Regency OC is further away, about a mile south of the parks (but now with Uber and Lyft being so easy to use, the distance isn't an issue), but is also a "grown up" hotel. And, as you noted, the Hilton is quite nice.

Last edited:
We like the Sheraton and stay there often. But for that property, we never book club level and only stay on that level if we get a free upgrade. That lounge isn't like a regular club lounge because of all the kids running unsupervised. The food isn't very good (cheap, greasy), and the kids touch the food or families take all of it for themselves, so there isn't any left for other guests. It is hardly a relaxing atmosphere -- we usually choose to relax elsewhere. But we've always had very good service at the Sheraton. The Hyatt Regency OC is further away, about a mile south of the parks (but now with Uber and Lyft being so easy to use, the distance isn't an issue), but is also a "grown up" hotel. And, as you noted, the Hilton is quite nice.
Thanks. I was worried about the club lounge not being so much of a perk here given its proximity to DL. I think I will book a few other hotels while I keep investigating.

i've booked Sheraton, will book Hilton and Anahei Marriott, and look at OC Still looking at the Marriott convention center too.
The only reasons I've decided on site might not be good for this trip is the opening hours and I'm not sure what we could do with EMH, which is my main perk.

Ok Now I am double thinking everything. I thought January hours were ore like 10 am and on but it looks like they are early hours.

Now I am considering staying on site at PPH. Would you choose PPH over offsite? We are planning to have dinners and breakfast at Disney restaurants and i think being close by would be easier that walking to the park each time and walking to dinner. We also plan on maybe using the second night and/or morning to go shopping and/or explore a few close places which i the only reason i wouldn't want to waste being onsite and going elsewhere.

Knowing this and if money was not an issue would you choose to stay onsite to make everything easier or would you prefer offsite.

It’s such a toss up. What time do the parks open?
I know. From past hours i believe they open at 8am that weekend.

It will be just DH and I and I do not want o worry about driving to the park or getting the shuttle. Just want to be relaxed have dinner go in the pool, visit the parks at night be able to shop and bring something back to DD. So on this it makes sense to just stay onsite.

But also want to visit some areas, nothing far just maybe 15-20 minutes out. Will maybe use EMH one day only. DD wont be with us.It is only a weekend so it makes sense to stay offsite.

DH said to just let him know when we arrive where we are staying because i have already changed my mind like 100+ times.

I know PPH is not soo close to everything but it is closer than where we would stay and we do not have to get a shuttle or drive.

On site! so easy to relax and lounge by the pool.... DTD close by.... restaurants, etc.... it's always so relaxing to stay on site... you don't have to worry or think about driving or shuttles or uber, etc... ! Go on site and enjoy!

I would not stay at PPH. From visiting friends that stayed there and seeing so many reviews come in over the years- no way. It is a lot of money for very little themeing. The quality of the hotel isn’t any better than the MUCH more afoardable hotels in the area. Its just not a very good hotel IMO. It’s a 10 minute walk or 5 minute Uber ride from PPH to the convention center hotels you were looking at. I would stay at a nicer hotel and just grab an Uber to breakfast, or go for a nice walk if I woke up early enough. If money was truly no issue I’d stay at the Grand Californian. If I wanted to pay PPH prices but get something worth having I’d splurge a bit & book a regular room at the Disneyland Hotel or just do club level at one of the convention center hotels.

I would not stay at PPH. From visiting friends that stayed there and seeing so many reviews come in over the years- no way. It is a lot of money for very little themeing. The quality of the hotel isn’t any better than the MUCH more afoardable hotels in the area. Its just not a very good hotel IMO. It’s a 10 minute walk or 5 minute Uber ride from PPH to the convention center hotels you were looking at. I would stay at a nicer hotel and just grab an Uber to breakfast, or go for a nice walk if I woke up early enough. If money was truly no issue I’d stay at the Grand Californian. If I wanted to pay PPH prices but get something worth having I’d splurge a bit & book a regular room at the Disneyland Hotel or just do club level at one of the convention center hotels.

I do agree that reviews for the PPH are in the middle some people love it some people do not. I do think its much longer than a 10 minute walk. We did it once (only once) and it was almost 20 minutes. I would definitely want to stay at a nicer hotel. But i do not see many other than the ones already mentioned.

We do not want DLH since we have stayed there before and would just be coming back from staying there 4 weeks prior to our trip. Wanted to try a new hotel. I have always wanted to stay at PPH because i think the rooms are cute and the theme park view seems nice, but DD has always wanted DLH. We were going to stay to PPH in October but switched to Marriott Courtyard because DD liked that one. GCH is a beautiful hotel and very close to everything. But it does not seem worth it to me for this trip. Not for the price it is always at. And not for the amount of days we would be there. But i would not mind it for October when the whole family is coming. this is why DH could care less what i book, I will probably switch 10 times or more before the actual trip

I do have the Anaheim Marriott booked with concierge level and Sheraton with club level, but do i really need it, No. Out of the two it looks like the Anaheim Marriott is the one we would go with

I like the on-site hotels and I like PPH. We’ve stayed there many times. The theme park view rooms are amazing. The hotel isn’t perfect. On a recent stay we had 2 rooms. 1 room the tub wouldn’t drain properly and the other room had low water pressure. These issues didn’t bother me but they did bother my sister-n-law. It’s not a luxury hotel. The main thing that I don’t like about PPH is that they took away the short cut through GCH. Other than that I like it.
My husband and I stayed at The Sheraton hotel 1 night when we were coming to do a date night for our anniversary. I was like you and couldn’t decide where to stay when it was just the 2 of us. I didn’t want to stay on site because we were only going into the parks for 1 evening. I never even booked a reservation! We walked into the Marriott at the Convention Center and asked about getting a room there but I didn’t like the vibe for an anniversary trip. There were a ton of business people in the lobby. They didn’t have any King rooms available so we went elsewhere. I’m sure the rooms are very nice though. We went to the Sheraton next because it is always highly recommended on here. They gave us a room on a high floor and included club level for free (for our anniversary). I personally wasn’t impressed and probably wouldn’t stay here again. The club room was a mess. Very very busy and very loud with lots of kids running around. There was barely any room to sit because it was so busy.
If I was lucky enough to talk my husband into another trip for our anniversary I’d look at Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Springhill Suites on the corner of Katella and Harbor or the Marriott Residence Inn by the Convention Center. The Marriott Convention Center did look like an extremely nice hotel I just wasn’t feeling it that particular day, lol.
If you were willing to Uber I’d look at the Hyatt in Garden Grove. My husband has stayed there for business and said it is very nice (and he’s picky). The Marriott Courtyard next to Hojo’s is very nice too. We’ve stayed there once and loved it but it usually prices itself just below PPH. So for a little bit more I always choose PPH.
Have fun deciding!

I never understand the people who say the PPH isn't well-themed. In my opinion it is far more themed than the DLH, which aside from Mickey faucets and the creepy light-up headboard could easily be any suburban Sheraton or Hilton hotel. We've also gotten the best guest service at the PPH, enjoy the pool area, and enjoy being able to send packages back to our room when shopping in the parks. Based on what the OP has posted about their trip, I think the PPH is the right choice.

I like the on-site hotels and I like PPH. We’ve stayed there many times. The theme park view rooms are amazing. The hotel isn’t perfect. On a recent stay we had 2 rooms. 1 room the tub wouldn’t drain properly and the other room had low water pressure. These issues didn’t bother me but they did bother my sister-n-law. It’s not a luxury hotel. The main thing that I don’t like about PPH is that they took away the short cut through GCH. Other than that I like it.
My husband and I stayed at The Sheraton hotel 1 night when we were coming to do a date night for our anniversary. I was like you and couldn’t decide where to stay when it was just the 2 of us. I didn’t want to stay on site because we were only going into the parks for 1 evening. I never even booked a reservation! We walked into the Marriott at the Convention Center and asked about getting a room there but I didn’t like the vibe for an anniversary trip. There were a ton of business people in the lobby. They didn’t have any King rooms available so we went elsewhere. I’m sure the rooms are very nice though. We went to the Sheraton next because it is always highly recommended on here. They gave us a room on a high floor and included club level for free (for our anniversary). I personally wasn’t impressed and probably wouldn’t stay here again. The club room was a mess. Very very busy and very loud with lots of kids running around. There was barely any room to sit because it was so busy.
If I was lucky enough to talk my husband into another trip for our anniversary I’d look at Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Springhill Suites on the corner of Katella and Harbor or the Marriott Residence Inn by the Convention Center. The Marriott Convention Center did look like an extremely nice hotel I just wasn’t feeling it that particular day, lol.
If you were willing to Uber I’d look at the Hyatt in Garden Grove. My husband has stayed there for business and said it is very nice (and he’s picky). The Marriott Courtyard next to Hojo’s is very nice too. We’ve stayed there once and loved it but it usually prices itself just below PPH. So for a little bit more I always choose PPH.
Have fun deciding!

After reading your post i made up my mind. a pp said something about Club level not really being a perk since there are kids everywhere. I am used to the CL where it is nice and quiet and relaxed. That marked Sheraton off our list. We really do not want to uber. I do think after thinking of everything PPH will be what works for us.

I never understand the people who say the PPH isn't well-themed. In my opinion it is far more themed than the DLH, which aside from Mickey faucets and the creepy light-up headboard could easily be any suburban Sheraton or Hilton hotel. We've also gotten the best guest service at the PPH, enjoy the pool area, and enjoy being able to send packages back to our room when shopping in the parks. Based on what the OP has posted about their trip, I think the PPH is the right choice.
I also think PPH is nicely themed and the views seem great and it just looks like a very cute hotel. PPH is the right choice. I think i will be more relaxed and less stressed and more willing to go to DtD and to the parks at night if we are closer.

I think you’ll be happy at PPH! I really do enjoy it there. The staff has always been great there too. If you can, get a room with a view!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!