Best Park When it Rains?

Does anyone think the parks clear out as much during the holiday season? Going on Tuesday and they are calling for rain Wednesday and Thursday. Just curious if that the parks will clear out like they do in the spring and summer.

We will be there too! The last time we were there during the same time frame and it poured in AK it was a ghost town but that was before FOP and only 1-2 hours until the park closed.

We will be there too! The last time we were there during the same time frame and it poured in AK it was a ghost town but that was before FOP and only 1-2 hours until the park closed.

Fingers crossed the rain stays away for us! The forecast has changed so much in just a week I'm only giving this one about an 80% shot. LOL Last week when I looked it was supposed to close to 80 on Saturday and now it's only supposed to be in the mid 60's. I feel so confused and out of my element on this trip when it comes to weather.

I'd pick MK if given the choice...

But I can tell you what day it will rain when we are there...our AK day. I swear we always end up with all-day rain at that park, LOL! (Typically going in Jan/Feb so we usually only have 1 rainy day on a trip).

Fingers crossed the rain stays away for us! The forecast has changed so much in just a week I'm only giving this one about an 80% shot. LOL Last week when I looked it was supposed to close to 80 on Saturday and now it's only supposed to be in the mid 60's. I feel so confused and out of my element on this trip when it comes to weather.

The forecast has been crazy, but this is our 4th near christmas trip and the weather forecast has never right. We have had freezing cold and windy day down to the low 50's and 90's all in the same trip. I usually pack for everything and layers. A rain jacket is also great at blocking out the wind (Friday is supposed to have 10-20 mph winds most of the day/night).

Epcot has the highest percentage of indoor attractions of any park, even if it is more walking

I would think MK would be your best bet in the rain, plenty of indoor rides, shops and a couple shows as well. Also a good time to hit Splash since you're wet already :earboy2:
This - the most covered areas and shortest walks between buildings

Epcot. Have done it twice in tropical storm rains and it was a blast. Once you surrender to the fact that you're going to be soaked, nothing really bothers you. It's an adventure.
Plus most of the places you duck into in WS have food and spirits. Quite honestly I have no problem with rain at any of the parks especially since it thins out the crowds.

Epcot. Poncho up and head for a building. Future World is very easy to tour in the rain. Then you can spend a lot of time (with access to food, shops, bathrooms and attractions) in one spot before poncho-ing up to head to the next spot. In MK things are much closer together but you are constantly in and out of the ponchos and its more difficult especially if you have a stroller. The nice part about world showcase is once you hit a country, they are usually all interconnected within that country for the shops and attractions that it isn't too bad.

DHS is our favorite park in the rain. Its small and attractions are relatively close together, so its quick and easy to get from one to the next. There's also a fair amount of indoor shows and covered character meets, and the majority of all the queues are covered or indoor as well. With the exception of Slinky Dog and perhaps Alien Swirling Saucers, all the rides are indoors and shouldn't close due to thunderstorms.

MK was our worst park in the rain. Lots of outdoor rides and uncovered entertainment that shuts down or gets delayed, and some of the drainage in that park is terrible. We were back by the teacups when the skies opened up and were up to our ankles in rain. There was no quick or easy way to exit from there, and we were drenched by the time we got to the bus.

Magic Kingdom for sure - lots of indoor attractions. Epcot is too spread out pavillion to pavillion and world showcase is definitely no fun in the rain. AK is mainly an outside park - sans the shows. I'm not a Hollywood Studios fan at this particular time - so I vote MK.

There is no forecast greater than a week out that is credible. The Weather Channel, weatherbug, etc. put out a 14 day forecast to maximize ad revenue. The weather service only goes out 7 days.

The best safari we were ever on was in the pouring rain. The animals were all playing in the rain and splashing around. It was amazing! We got soaked, but it was worth it. We also had pretty bad rain rain at DHS during the last showing of Osborn lights. The place emptied out and we were able to wander and enjoy the lights with almost no people. A rainy day at Disney is better than a sunny day at home.

This was MK but doesn’t matter. Just keep doing your thing while others huddle.

Attachments

• 46988E3F-40A0-420C-80E6-19C9489F69ED.jpeg
    46988E3F-40A0-420C-80E6-19C9489F69ED.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 9
My one caution about MK and rain...
If there is lightning at all (like in the spring and summer), then every outdoor ride will close for at least an hour. This doesn’t sound like a big deal if you are planning indoor attractions anyway, but it has a huge impact on all other attractions. At least on a normal rainy day, you can count on FP’s and the crazy people (guilty!) riding stuff in the rain. But when the lightning comes, every affected FP is transferred into an “any attraction, any time, except 7D” for all of those rides. And those FP’s will greatly clog up the indoor attractions.

This happened to me this past August. I was actually at the POR food court during the storm and looked at the MDE app. A LOT of rides in MK were down. It was pouring so hard there was actually water dripping in through the roof at the food court. The lightning was really nearby and intense; the thunder was shaking the building.

I went to MK that evening, and the line to get into the Space Mountain fastpass line was backed up past AstroOrbiter. There was evening EMH hours that night, and it was so crowded!

I learned that when it rained like it did this past Thursday (12/22) it doesn't matter what park you are in. I've experienced rain at the parks before, but never rain like that. My rain jacket was nothing against that rain. The poncho my DD had on was nothing against that rain. I hope to never experience that again, but it did make DS way slower and we got to ride Slinky Dog with only about a 30 minute wait later in the afternoon.

I think we have been in all parks in the rain, but would choose MK. Put the poncho on and skip through the puddles, the kids will have a blast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!