Best phone network for inside the parks?

rachaeld

Mouseketeer
We are coming from overseas and are going to buy local SIM cards, what provider gives the best data service within the parks?

Thanks

Im from Ireland and doing the same. You need to check with the networks to see if your phone is compatible. The two that are compatible with European phones are AT& T and TMobile.

You need your phones IMEI number and your phone needs to be unlocked

Go to AT& T and TMobile websites, they have a phone compatibility checker.

My phone is only compatible with AT& T

I went onto the live chat and they confirmed that my phone is compatible and also advised me on the plan / SIM card to get. They do sell them online BUT they do not post SIM cards international. This means you have to go to one of their phone shops

On the websites they have a store locator function. Put in the ZIP code of your hotel to find the nearest store to where you are staying.

My trip to California is at at the end of June and I will report back on how I got on

Guess it depends on whereabouts you are coming from, as you say you are from overseas. In the UK, Three tends to be the best provider if you're quite the traveller, allowing their phones to be used (without swapping sim cards etc) abroad using their 'Feel At Home / Roam Like at Home' service. Their deal also includes access within the USA too via T-Mobile and sometimes other clients too. Hope this info helps.

Thanks. Coming from New Zealand. I don’t want to roam with my plan as it is far too expensive, $5 per day.

I can buy US SIM cards from Amazon and either get shipped to our hotel or for $7 can get sent to NZ before we go.

Just not sure what provider to go with, I think AT&T and T Mobile where two of the options.

Edited to add, this is one of the ones I am looking at... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...3db-48081e145e35&pf_rd_r=K52YDTSF2N2NX5MGDGH8

We use Verizon and have not had any problems in the parks. AT&T and T-Mobile are well known, reputable companies, so you can trust them.

I've been on AT&T for year and have visited the park at least four times. Never had any problem with AT&T service, have always been able to use MaxPass anywhere in the park via my cell data plan. The ONLY issue I've had is dropping service and not being able to make dining reservations while in the second queue area of Haunted Mansion (inside a building) and RIGHT before boarding Pirates (again inside a building), but you know, if you're fine with five or ten minutes without service then AT&T should work perfectly :P

(Should also note this has been across a number of different iPhone models.... bring an extra external battery, Disney App/MaxPass and loads of cell usage eats power like crazy, but with a modern phone and one external battery that can recharge the phone completely at least once or twice should keep you from morning till closing and give you the power for pictures along the way too, just keep that screen brightness down when you don't need it)

also, there is (somewhat decent) WIFI coverage, it gets better slowly:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/internet-wifi/
In the past, Wifi for me has been pretty hit or miss, it's much better in the Disney hotels than the park.

For example, mobile wireless pretty much dies in show building like Soarin or POTC, but there is WIFI access points that do help in the buildings.
You just have to remember to switch between them as needed. However, I wouldn't rely on WIFI being available all the time.

We use Sprint and the only places I seem to have problems is Pixar Pier (especially the back by Sky School) and inside queues like Indiana Jones. Other than that it has been reasonable.

Last edited:
Please report back on what you choose, OP. I'm also from NZ and refuse to pay our crippling roaming prices. We won't be heading over until late 2020/early 2021 but I'm getting my research in now.

I also use Verizon and the only time I loose network connection is when I am deep in a queue (underground) like for IJA, HM, or Soarin.

ATT worked quite well for me there last month. My BIL and SIL were there from Australia and used WiFi only and had access the majority of the time as well.

If prepaid is an option, Walmart has a pretty good program called StraightTalk. You have the option of bringing your own phone or purchasing one of theirs at the store. Unlimited minutes and data is only about $45-55 a month. I believe they use the same cell towers as AT-T, so I always had pretty good service. Something to check out!

Otherwise, Tmobile also works great too.

I've had iphones on AT&T and never had an issue. There will be dead spots in the park but they are deadspots for almost all carries. Mostly you'll lose service in some of the ques as you end up going way under ground.

I can also confirm that AT&T coverage in the parks is very good for both calls and data. I often turn off the WiFi in the parks because it is overloaded and just use the data and it routinely works.

I can also confirm that AT&T coverage in the parks is very good for both calls and data. I often turn off the WiFi in the parks because it is overloaded and just use the data and it routinely works.

Ya, I turned WiFi off every day last year when I visited to save battery life. Possibly if you can just be on WiFi ONLY, so go to airplane mode but then on WiFi, that would be even better on the battery. If WiFi is spotty though it’s probably better going just cellular rather then having both radios on and it switching back and forth.

Please report back on what you choose, OP. I'm also from NZ and refuse to pay our crippling roaming prices. We won't be heading over until late 2020/early 2021 but I'm getting my research in now.
I emailed Sims r us, who is the supplier of the SIM cards on amazon, they replied with the following:

In the US, the 4 major carriers are:
Verizon: expensive
Sprint: Trash, does not work at Disneyland, I tried it there, dead zone
AT&T: Decent, slightly more expensive than T-Mobile for almost same reception
T-Mobile: Best bang for the buck with good service + reception

The AT&T and t mobile SIM cards are the same price, the t mobile has hotspot and the other doesn’t, so we will probably go for these.

I emailed Sims r us, who is the supplier of the SIM cards on amazon, they replied with the following:

In the US, the 4 major carriers are:
Verizon: expensive
Sprint: Trash, does not work at Disneyland, I tried it there, dead zone
AT&T: Decent, slightly more expensive than T-Mobile for almost same reception
T-Mobile: Best bang for the buck with good service + reception

The AT&T and t mobile SIM cards are the same price, the t mobile has hotspot and the other doesn’t, so we will probably go for these.

I would argue that AT&T is better then decent, in fact it's probably just a tiny notch below Verizon, then T-Mobile is "decent" (they have made great improvements with low frequency coverage, so it penetrates buildings better, but I don't think they have much capacity on that, or at least compared to AT&T)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!