Best PRIME lens for Disney

BaileyWhite

Earning My Ears
What's your best/most versatile prime lens for Disney for a APS-C camera (Canon 80D)?

- Must have a wide aperture (at least 1.8)
- Money is not an issue (renting!)
- Using on a crop sensor

I'm in between a Canon 24mm 1.4 or a Sigma 30mm 1.4... or whatever you advise!

I've looked at zooms (Canon 17-55 2.8 or Sigma 18-35 1.8)... but I'm just not a big fan of zooms...

Basically, I will be using this on the dark rides, character dining, around the park, etc to take photographs of the surroundings and my daughter! (I'm a really big fan of bokeh!)

Thank you!

I've used the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and loved it. Haven't used the Canon 24mm f/1.4 but wide is always better in my book.

That said my favorite lens of all time is the Canon 17-55 f/2.8. But I'm a fan of zooms, especially at Disney. The mid-range zoom is my favorite at Disney because you can't always zoom with your feet with so many people around. Plus I love the 17mm end of it.

My second favorite Disney lens is the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. I like it so much I use it as a prime now on my 6D (still works at 16mm on a full frame). Told you I like wider lenses!

I only took my sigma 30mm 1.4 on the 7D into the parks last fall and felt it was great, however I just got the Tokina 11-16 and I'm obsessed! I can't wait to use it in the parks.

I agree wider is better for disney - and fast!

I only took my sigma 30mm 1.4 on the 7D into the parks last fall and felt it was great, however I just got the Tokina 11-16 and I'm obsessed! I can't wait to use it in the parks.

Yes! Strongly leaning towards the 30mm. It's been awhile since I've had a 35 on my camera, so if you can judge.. are you able to say, sit across from a child at the dinner table and photograph them okay? Like without them being cut off?

Thank you!

Yes! Strongly leaning towards the 30mm. It's been awhile since I've had a 35 on my camera, so if you can judge.. are you able to say, sit across from a child at the dinner table and photograph them okay? Like without them being cut off?

Thank you!

I'd say yes, we did some character meals and I maybe stood behind my seat at some, but in my seat at Garden Grill and was able to get decent shots! Here are a few of those for reference :)

IMG_6122.JPG IMG_6123.JPG

I can't speak for the Canon mount lenses as I shoot fujifilm, but in terms of focal length I find 23mm on a crop sensor is very versatile. Like you, I prefer primes to zooms and this is the focal length I always find myself coming back to.

The sigma 30mm 1.4 is a great lens and if your budget stretches a little further Art version is meant to be even better :)

A good outside odd lens I have used is the sigma 28mm 1.8 it's a older lens but I use that one Crop and ff and it's great on either

I would also reccomend either of the pancake lenses, if your planning to go full frame one day, pick up the 40mm 2.8 otherwise there is a 24mm 2.8 ef-s lens for aps-c only.

HTH

On our last long trip, on arrival day, I took only my a77-II and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and for the most part really loved it (low-light shots). However, it wasn't wide enough for the parades, which is why I want the Tokina 11-16.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter