Best quality hotel for family size of 5

Mousefan mom

Mouseketeer
Hello we have three kids, aged 12, 10, and 16. I'm noticing now that the kids are getting older, we seem to need more space. At Disney last summer, it felt a little cramped being in the Beach Club Resort with the pull out Murphy bed. Having said that, I can't get over the price for the kids suites at the Universal hotels, and they even seem to only have 2 twins so you'd still be dealing with a rollaway bed.

We'd like to try staying at Universal next spring break or summer--and know the Express pass would be good during busier times. I've looked at Royal Pacific--love the hotel, but the rooms seem so so small--how in the world could you get a Rollaway in there???

Last night in a touring book it suggested Hard Rock deluxe rooms--which is looking like a good compromise. Compare that to LPB, and can someone tell me if they have the larger rooms as well?

Thanks!

The deluxe rooms at HRH would work for you but the couch is sooooo uncomfortable as a pullout. The deluxes as PBH don't seem to be as big as a lot of the space is in the bathroom and you aren't guaranteed a pullout of any sort.

Our kids are roughly the same age as yours. We have stayed at Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, and Portofino in their standard 2 queen rooms with a rollaway. Portofino was the only one where we did not feel like we were wall to wall beds. Our game plan is usually: stay 3-4 nights in RP, HR, or PBH in a standard room (often with club level.) Switch for 2 more nights at Cabana bay and get 2 connecting rooms for about the same amount (or less, depending on Annual Pass rates). We end up the vacation more spread out, and everyone is happy.

We have not stayed in a deluxe room at HRH (500 sq ft), but we have stayed in the deluxe room at PBH (490 sq ft). They are priced comparably.

Hello we have three kids, aged 12, 10, and 16. I'm noticing now that the kids are getting older, we seem to need more space. At Disney last summer, it felt a little cramped being in the Beach Club Resort with the pull out Murphy bed. Having said that, I can't get over the price for the kids suites at the Universal hotels, and they even seem to only have 2 twins so you'd still be dealing with a rollaway bed.

We'd like to try staying at Universal next spring break or summer--and know the Express pass would be good during busier times. I've looked at Royal Pacific--love the hotel, but the rooms seem so so small--how in the world could you get a Rollaway in there???

Last night in a touring book it suggested Hard Rock deluxe rooms--which is looking like a good compromise. Compare that to LPB, and can someone tell me if they have the larger rooms as well?

Thanks!

I would not want to try to fit 5 people in those RPR rooms - we struggled with 3 of us this past May. But I agree the prices for the kids suites are a bit ridiculous.

Honestly, if we were in your shoes I would book the deluxe 2 queen at HRH and rotate the kids on the pullout. Depending on how you get there (driving vs. flying), you could bring a thin foam mattress topper to make the pullout more comfortable.

Alternatively, you could
- book a family suite or 2-bedroom suite at Cabana Bay and either pay out of pocket for a day or two of regular express passes or book a throwaway room at one of the premier hotels to get 2 days of unlimited express passes.
- do a split stay with 1-2 nights in a premier hotel then move to Cabana Bay for the additional space.

Yes, you do need more space (and privacy) as the kids become teens. We graduated to two rooms in RPR once they were that big. The key; TWO bathrooms at that price.

Stayed the past two years at HRH with a family of five (sons 17, 14, 12). Regular two queen room with rollaway was fine for us both years. We have stayed a few times at PBH in the past when the boys were younger and had no problems there either. We prefer the location of the HRH, but now that the boys are older, the walk from PBH should not be a problem. At least I hope not, because we booked it for Thanksgiving.

Thanks!
If you are concerned about room size I would recommend Portofino Bay. Our family of 5 loved the space. We used a queen air mattress and still had room to walk around and the bathroom was huge. Can’t beat the space.

5 of use stayed in the RPR with a rollaway bed and to be honest, although it looks small we were fine and we had no issues. There were 3 adults a 14 year old and an 8 year old (who had the extra bed). I was the only male so don't know how stressed the others got with managing the bathroom but I don't remember anyone complaining too much.

If you can afford 2 rooms, or the suite obviously that would be better but if you're like us and on a budget, the one room was fine.

Cabana Bay has big family suites I believe but no Express Pass there as you probably know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!