Best Rain Jacket

Jecca

DIS Veteran
We've always used ponchos for those rainy days at WDW, but man are they hot on summer days! I was thinking of investing in a good rain jacket instead that won't leave me overheated and will keep me dry. Any recommendations on what brand and "model" to get?

Last edited:
We use the thin dollar store ponchos, especially in the heat; with a baseball cap under the hood. It's too humid to wear a windbreaker for us.

IKEA ponchos! I like to use a rather expensive breathable military poncho by hazard 4, great coverage and breathable! But pricey at $100 haha

The problem with cheap ponchos is that you get just as wet inside as you do outside, difference is the rain is a tad cleaner than ur stinky BO ridden sweat

I learned a long time ago that investing in good rain gear is worth the money. The cheap ponchos are just that. You want to be sure that the rain jacket has a zipper under the arm. The joke of rain gear is you can get wet from the outside or the inside. Good rain gear with good breathing prevents both. I like my North Face rain gear. Has lasted 5 backpacking trips each over 100 miles, plus Disney and many more camping trips.

1 thing to remember, 'breathable' and 'waterproof' are simply not able to be used together in an absolute sense. If the fabrics were as breathable as they say then in all reality there would be no need for 'pit zips'. The reason they are there is to get rid of heat and moisture that the fabric cannot. If it is made more breathable to let that kind of heat and moisture out, then it lets too much moisture in, hence the constant paradoxical battle to obtain maximum breathability and maximum waterproofing.

That said, the use of a good goretex shell is a great addition to downpours for short periods, i think the attraction to cheap ponchos is that it covers a larger area and gives you use of your hands underneath for cameras, phones and other things.. besides they also double up as impromptu stroller tents! ;o)

We use the thin dollar store ponchos, especially in the heat; with a baseball cap under the hood. It's too humid to wear a windbreaker for us.

That's what we used last week, and they worked great. I packed plenty of them for our trip; one to wear and another to keep in a pocket for backup.

We have the Columbia rain jackets - lightweight and easy to carry when not in use - ours fold up into the pockets to make a small packet that fits easily in our string bags or attached to a belt loop with a carabiner.

Frogg Toggs make some nice lightweight, breathable rain jackets. We love ours for Disney trips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter