Best remedies for sinus congestion

katie01

DIS Veteran
it's been a long time since I've had a cold this bad. My nose is so completely blocked that I can't breathe out of it at all, and I started choking when I was eating. I am feeling very claustrophobic and uncomfortable right now. I typically don't like to take decongestants because they make me feel so much worse the next day (dizzy and out of it), does anyone have any natural remedies or other over the counter things to try that won't result in that decongestant fog the next day?

I’ll second hot shower and any type of hot drink.

Maybe some hot sauce as well. There’s always the joke about it clearing out sinuses.

As a long-time sufferer of sinus infections, my go-to solution is always a decongestant, usually followed by antibiotics. But if it's not a terrible one, I'll try to wait it out.

I've found that hot showers help, especially if you have a Shower Soother (they really don't make them anymore, but you can make your own with baking soda, water, and essential oils like eucalyptus, spearmint, rosemary, etc. I got my essential oils from GNC or a local health food store. Just google homemade shower soother's.)

Spicy food helps with immediate effect as well. I'm talking super spicy. Sriracha, wasabi, etc. Snyder's of Hanover's jalapeno pretzel bites are quite spicy and clear the sinuses pretty well. That's usually what I go for.

Either way, I feel for ya. Feel better soon.

Try Motrin or Advil, if you can tolerate it. Besides the congestion, the sinus passages can get inflamed during a cold. A pain reliever containing an anti-inflammatory can help shrink the swelling and make it easier to breathe. Combine that with a hot shower, warm compresses to the face, drinking lots of fluids, etc.

Sudafed really helps me with sinus issues. It has never made me feel foggy and I rarely take any OTC medications. If I am so congested that I cannot sleep I will admit to chugging some NyQuil.

I do take Advil cold and sinus, but also Afrin menthol nasal spray if I'm completely clogged. I hate that feeling. Hot steamy showers and wasabi have also helped, though I could never stand enough wasabi to keep everything clear for long, lol.

I “treat”’ myself at night with Afrin for up to 3 nights so I can sleep. I only use it at night and only 3 nights so as not to cause rebound congestion or an addiction. But it works wonderfully.

Afrin "no drip" nasal spray. My doctor recommends this as well. As mentioned, you should only use it for 3 days or less so as not to make the condition worse, but it does clear you out within a half an hour I'd say. Netti pot also helps. I've not found a pill that actually works at clearing my congestion.

When my sinuses are swollen like that from a head cold, here is my go-to:

1. Half dose of sudafed (the good sudafed). I'm very sensitive to it, but I can usually tolerate one tablet rather than the two recommended tablets and it still works well.
2. Neti pot twice a day.
3. Afrin at night for the worst 3 nights of the cold. No sudafed after 3PM.

I agree with the others - 24 hour sudafed (the kind you have to sign for) and tons and tons of water. It's the only thing that really helps me when I get congested that badly.

I'd opt for one of the many of the OTC decongestants and sushi with a hearty side of wasabi. :)

Afrin or Vick's Sinex Nasal spray, followed almost immediately by steaming over a pot of boiled water (put a towel over your head and inhale for 20 min) or use the Neil Med Sinus Rinse squeeze bottle (available at any drug store and more effective than Neti Pot)

I find that the nasal spray decongestants work better for me than regular pills. I also put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in my humidifier/diffuser at night and slept much better.

Thanks all, the hot shower, spicy food, and Advil helped me make it through the night, I'll head to the store if I think I'm going to need Afrin or Vick's today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts