Best resort for parents and little ones?

MickandRobin

Earning My Ears
Ok, I'm new :)

Planning first big trip to the World with wife and 2 kids ages 3 and 5. We've been trying to decide on the best resort for all of us. We've had friends recommend WL and PO-R, which both look nice, any thoughts? I like all the pools at POR, which my kids would love, but I also love the theme at WL. Any other suggestions? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

If you dont need great value, then I agree with WL. You are near MK which I assume you would go to the most with the ages of your kids and it is an awesome resort. We own at VWL DVC we liked it so much.

I have stayed at POR and WL and both Resorts are wonderful.

We love the Polynesian:) I love the monorail to the MK and Epcot:) My kids love the pool, it's great because it is zero-entry. The hard part is trying to decide, I'm going in July and I can't make my mind up. I think all of the resorts have something great to offer:)

Thanks for the help, it's seems like such a hard decision, but I'm sure all the Disney resorts are nice. I'll keep thinking, and probably change my mind a few more times :D

When our kids were 3 and 6 we stayed at the Poly and it was perfect for what we wanted to do. We focused mainly on MK so the monorail was great, sooooo easy getting in and out of MK. We could go to the park for part of the day and zip back to swim. At night when our kids were tired we could watch the MK fireworks or Electric Water parade from our balcony in jammies! The self-serve cafe area was perfect for quick meals and the resort offered two other resturants for nicer dining.

Thanks for the help, it's seems like such a hard decision, but I'm sure all the Disney resorts are nice. I'll keep thinking, and probably change my mind a few more times :D

Another recommendation for the WL.

We have stayed at most of the WDW resorts and have found the WL to be the most relaxing for us adults, with the most to do for the kids.

The resort is beautiful. There are lots of nice quiet places to sit and relax. The quite pool is the most relaxing, and the hot tub there is great. The main pool is very nice, with a very large kiddie pool that our 3 yo DD just loved. The guyser is something the kids really love. In addition to the great pools, there are lots of activities for the kids. They have organized games, arts and crafts, duck races - a different activity for each day of the week. You can easily get to Ft Wilderness where the kids can go on pony rides, see the petting farm, and do the campfire and movie.

The restaurants at the WL are very good, too. Whispering Canyon is a fun place to eat where they get everyone involved in the fun. Artists Point is great if you want a nice adult meal.

Transportation to the MK by boat is pretty convenient, and it is a neat ride.

All in all, I can't say enough about the WL. Not that the other WDW resorts aren't great, but we love the WL. POR is a very nice resort that we have stayed at several times. The pools are neat and we enjoyed riding bikes around the whole resort. If the boat to DTD is running that is neat, too. However, POR vs WL - WL wins, hands down.

Not sure of your budget but the all stars are really nice for little ones. The themes are very enticing for little ones, espically the all star movies! The pols are nothing elaborate but great for little kids.

but we have also stayed at an All Star hotel....the theming is terrific for young children.....the pools are not as extravagent as those moderate hotels, but if you have never stayed anywhere else, you wouldn't know what you were missing.....your kids are probably familiar with Toy Story, 101 Dalmations, etc. & would get a big kick out of it.....

WL vs POR - I would go with the WL. One of the biggest decisions for me would be to have everything in one building vs your room being in a different building from the food court from the sit down restaurant from the lobby, etc.

We stayed at the WL last year when my kids were 3 1/2 and 6 and they loved it. They liked the boat rides that we took to the MK, Fort Wilderness and the Contemporary and just exploring the resort.

If you want to see some pictures of the different resorts take a look at http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/rescc/costcalc.asp
and www.wdwig.com

Have fun deciding.

We have stayed at both and liked both very much. However I would recommend WL for a first trip with little ones. You are a boat ride away from MK and the first bus stop for MGM, Epcot and AK. We liked being assured seats for our little one on the bus. The lodge itself is magnificent. One really big difference is that for WL everything is in one building. All restaurants, rooms, store, lobby, arcade, laundry are in the same building. The pool is right outside the courtyard door. This is a big plus with little ones as POR is VERY spread out.

We stayed at the Contemporary when our kids were those ages and we loved it. Having the monorail go through the building is all the theme we need. The pool was not very crowded and has a fun but not too scary water slide. Plus, you are right there with Chef Mickey's, which many people like. Finally, the rooms are MUCH bigger than the WL rooms. The wings and the tower are both very nice.

We also love WL. We have not stayed at POR, but hope to some day. At WL, you could request a room with a bunk bed for your children. That is, if one of them would sleep on top, they do have rails. Beds at WL are queen size and at POR, they are double size. They even have the Cub's Den where the children could stay for some fun time if you wanted an adult only dinner. Whichever one you stay in, check the events calendar when you arrive for any special activities at the resort while you are there.

Have stayed at both with young kids. POR was ok but, the weather was cold and we were in the building furthest away from main building and ended up asking to be moved to WL - we just missed it too much.

Our first stay with young kids was at the Poly. We loved it and thought that we would never find anywhere to compare - until we stayed at WL. In saying that I would recommend either resort with young children.

We love WL so much that we are now DVC members at VWL.

Good luck choosing.

The only advice I can give is if you can afford to, stay at ANY Resort on the monorail. They are all nice and there is nothing better than being able to go back and forth to your resort quickly for whatever reason. Because the children are ages 3 and 5, you will probably be spending most of your time at the Magic Kingdom as we did when our boys were that age. Have a Great Time!

RobinLyn :)

You guys are so helpful, thanks for all the great advice. I'm leaning toward the WL I think, at least for this trip, we'll see what happens between now and Sept., I've already changed my mind 3 times in the last week! :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter