Best Resort for Two ECVs

GabrielMom

Mouseketeer
Hello,

I am planning a trip in mid May (15-24) and WDW. It will be 2 adults, one 5 year old boy, and 2 grandparents needing ECVs. We have never been to disneyworld, just disneyland and transportation at disneyland is simple. I'm looking for a resort that has good character theme for my son, and ease of transportation via disney buses for two ECVs. I've narrowed it down to Art of Animation (family suite, may need two rooms), or Riverside royal rooms (two rooms). French quarter appears to be ideal for tranporation with two ECVs but I don't like the theme. It seems transportation might be an issue with two ECVs at Riverside; however, two rooms at animation is about 2k more. I have two questions.

1. Will having just one room at Art of Animation family suite be a comfortable stay with having two ECVs in the suite? If so, this option will be great and save us some money.

2. In your experience, is bus transportation from Riverside royal rooms with two ECVs dependable? or will there be long waits?

There are also two family suites at All star music that are the same price as two royal rooms, but I was thinking transportation with two ECVs might be an issue there also?

I appreciate any input. Thank you!

Transportation to/from any non-monorail resort will be equally god. Or bad.

1. Yes, two ECVs will fit in a Family Suite. Alternative would be two Pop or Movies rooms,. You could keep one in each room if necessary. You can request connecting or adjoining rooms, but they're never guaranteed.

2. Again, his service will be about the same. A value resort might even be better, since they have bus queues.

Hi, and :welcome:

There are lots of options to fit your family comfortably at WDW - but as you already know, many of them can be a bit spendy!

I know that it may not be something you have considered, but the Cabins at Fort Wilderness are charming - and with a bunk bed for your 5 year old, might be a great option. You get TONS of space - plus a full kitchen (the microwave is also a convection oven). The Cabins tend to price out about the same as a Family Suite at either Movies or AOA. There is a bedroom with a queen sized bed and bunk beds plus a sleeper sofa in the living room, and you could easily get 4 ECVs in there if you parked them in the kitchen area. We love staying there; it's so beautiful and peaceful; we often add a day or two at the end of our trips just to relax there, and enjoy the laid-back vibe. Plus, watching the deer off your deck while you sip your morning coffee can't be beat! You do have to take a 2 bus system there; One from your Cabin loop to the main transportation depot, and another from the bus station to wherever you want to go at WDW, but I love it so much I don't care... I would take 3 buses if I had to! :)

As @kaytieeldr said, transportation can be good or bad; a lot depends on the time of year, the Resort you stay at, and the time of day you are moving 2 ECVs around. For example: All Star Sports buses for rope drop at Magic Kingdom in the morning - or from Magic Kingdom at night after the fireworks? You might have to wait for a bus or two (or, even three) to get both ECVs on the same bus.

Wilderness Lodge, on the other hand, probably much easier to get both of those scooters on any bus, any time.

I have stayed at POR and POFQ both - and while POR is bigger (and so there is a greater likelihood of more ECVs) - by waiting an hour, and letting the rope droppers go on (and having a leisurely breakfast LOL) things are MUCH less hectic. Similarly, by either leaving before everyone else - or by letting the crowds go on, and taking our time leaving the parks, and then a leisurely stroll to the buses - we find that the buses home at night are not too bad at all.

The other option if you use POR is to actually hub out of Disney Springs - it means you always have to add the time for the boat ride and the trip across the Springs to the bus station there, but it's certainly do-able. We have, on a couple of occasions, gone "home" to POR or POFQ via Disney Springs, simply because the DS bus had a shorter line! (Shhhhh - don't tell anyone LOL)

One last thought - since you have 4 adults, and one little guy, you can always "divide and conquer" if needed. Maybe put Grandma and Mom and a sleepy little man on the first available bus back to the Resort, and let Daddy and Grandpa come on the next bus? I know it's not ideal, but it might make managing things a bit easier and less stressful if you set that expectation in advance.

I found the bus service to POR to be problematic with an ECV. I had no problem getting on, but OMG the bus was so packed that I could not get off at the stop I wanted. And this was not at park closing. We were packed on like sardines. I think I could have squeezed out if walking but not with an ECV.

We are dvc and normally stay at SSR which has multiple stops. We never have a problem getting on or off the bus.

I’d heard a lot about packed busses, but never really understood how bad that could be until we took the bus to POR.

I would not choose a resort that had more than one, possibly two stops. Unless you can guarantee that you are picked up at the first stop.

I would not choose a resort that had more than one, possibly two stops. Unless you can guarantee that you are picked up at the first stop.

But that eliminates several great Resorts as a possibility! :)

And there is never a guarantee that you will be picked up at the first (or any subsequent) stop; we once shared a bus from Poly to GF to MK (Monorail was down, couldn't ride boats because of my ECV) and I was the only ECV at Poly, so I was loaded. Got to GF, and there were 2 ECVs plus a powerchair plus a standard wheelchair waiting. That bus only had 2 parking spots, so the first in line was loaded, and the other 3 had to wait. And that was a Resort with one bus stop.

I have on occasion, had to wait my turn at WL - one bus stop, but there were 3 or 4 of us on wheels, and only 2 spots on the bus. Same thing at POFQ and POP and a lot of the single-station Resorts.

Bottom line is, there is no guarantee - at all - that you will always get on the bus with an ECV. If a bus shows up, and there are more mobility devices than there are tie down spots, then you (or a member of your party) should approach the driver, and use your Magic Words (Please and Thank You) to nicely ask the driver to call for another bus to accommodate the mobility devices that are going to be waiting to ride.

For bus stop advantage we love All Star Sport. Theming there is great for a 5 year old. It's value; so, you can get two rooms. That would make it easy for keeping the scooters in the rooms.

Our last trip this past Dec 2017 we had to wait twice for a second bus because of having two scooters over 8 days at the parks. I consider that to be very good. Both times were peak times like after fireworks.

I would just get two rooms at Pop Century. The theming is great, and with the Murphy bed there's plenty of room for two ECVs if you only need to use the stationary bed.

The family suites are two value rooms put together, so you wouldn't need two of those at all.

I would just get two rooms at Pop Century. The theming is great, and with the Murphy bed there's plenty of room for two ECVs if you only need to use the stationary bed.

The family suites are two value rooms put together, so you wouldn't need two of those at all.
Can't put five people in a four-person room.

Bottom line is, there is no guarantee - at all - that you will always get on the bus with an ECV. If a bus shows up, and there are more mobility devices than there are tie down spots, then you (or a member of your party) should approach the driver, and use your Magic Words (Please and Thank You) to nicely ask the driver to call for another bus to accommodate the mobility devices that are going to be waiting to ride.
Of course there isn't a guarantee. But based on my experience, I will never again stay at a resort with 5/6 bus stops unless I am at the first stop. After a 40 minute wait for a bus that could handle just one scooter at my stop, I decided that my time was more valuable.

And, quite honestly, as an adult, I don't need to be reminded, as though I am a small child, to be polite. Magic words? Really???

And, quite honestly, as an adult, I don't need to be reminded, as though I am a small child, to be polite. Magic words? Really???
It wasn't directed at any specific person. Your probably be shocked at the number of adults who behave as if being rude, demanding, condescending...gets positive results.

https://notalwaysright.com/106934-2/106934/ "I work in a call center for Unemployment Beneits. Many of the callers get verbally abusive. I take a call from someone who filed their claim in December but because we need information from some other states to make their claim vaid.
I noticed he has called a few times about his claim and supervisors wre involved. Still we were unable to validate his clam. I exlain to him the situation and that I am emailing my supervisor agan.

He says this is frustrating and asks if he gets angry and emotional will it speed anything up. I tell him no. He then said thank you and wished me a good weekend.
"

I know that people here say that another bus will be called if the there are more mobility devices than spaces on the bus, but I have never once seen that actually happen.

Now I don’t often find a bus that I can’t board, but when it does happen I always end up waiting at least another 20 minutes - which is just the next scheduled bus. And even then there is no guarantee that the tie down spots will be open.

I know that people here say that another bus will be called if the there are more mobility devices than spaces on the bus, but I have never once seen that actually happen.

Now I don’t often find a bus that I can’t board, but when it does happen I always end up waiting at least another 20 minutes - which is just the next scheduled bus. And even then there is no guarantee that the tie down spots will be open.
Not only that but when they do call a bus, it is very possible that it will make the same rounds that a normally scheduled bus makes.

Which means, if there are 4 stops before you, there are 4 chances for the bus to fill up before it comes to your stop.

Thank you so much for the responses. We decided to go with just one art of animation finding nemo family suite. I am very excited, my son will love it.

don't know your spending limits but think about look at renting DVC points from a qualified dealer such as http://www.dvcrequest.com and getting a 2 br at 1 of the DVC resorts. These are at least 2-3 times the size of reg. WDW resort rooms. By going through a qualified dealer you will get a dependable service. But availablity will be somewhat limited at this time of year

Had to move the furniture a little but two scooter did fit into POR. Just bring a power strip with a long cord 4 or 5 feet to charge them

1. Will having just one room at Art of Animation family suite be a comfortable stay with having two ECVs in the suite? If so, this option will be great and save us some money.

Family suites are just that - suites, which means 2 or more rooms as one booking.

8a639004bcf885357c05749ba666b0d0.jpg

Hello,

I am planning a trip in mid May (15-24) and WDW. It will be 2 adults, one 5 year old boy, and 2 grandparents needing ECVs. We have never been to disneyworld, just disneyland and transportation at disneyland is simple. I'm looking for a resort that has good character theme for my son, and ease of transportation via disney buses for two ECVs. I've narrowed it down to Art of Animation (family suite, may need two rooms), or Riverside royal rooms (two rooms). French quarter appears to be ideal for tranporation with two ECVs but I don't like the theme. It seems transportation might be an issue with two ECVs at Riverside; however, two rooms at animation is about 2k more. I have two questions.

2. In your experience, is bus transportation from Riverside royal rooms with two ECVs dependable? or will there be long waits?

There are also two family suites at All star music that are the same price as two royal rooms, but I was thinking transportation with two ECVs might be an issue there also?

I appreciate any input. Thank you!
The last time we stayed at port orleans French quarter (approx 3yrs ago) we had horrible experiences with transportation. French quarter and riverside shared a bus (and boat to Disney Springs) and we were the last pick up. Buses usually arrived full (or near capacity) and we missed multiple fast pass and dining reservations. I would not recommend staying there.

A friend recently stayed at art animation with small kids and loved it! She did note it was a large resort and a hike to the bus (they opted to stay in the little mermaid area)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter