Best resort room(s) option for family of 6?

Raya

DIS Veteran
Hello! I'm trying to understand the best options for a slightly crazy family of 6. We will be:

Mom, Dad, and La Petit Prince (age 6)
Aunt, Uncle
Grandma (age 76)

Grandma is looking to stay as close to the Prince as possible. Mom and Dad/Aunt and Uncle will need to have private time away from Grandma. Aunt and Uncle are okay with an adjoining room but definitively want to be at the same resort/on the same floor/etc. The Prince will need a bedroom with a door that can shut for a strict 7pm or he turns into the Evil Prince bedtime.

Renting DVC points is out because Dad's work may force a less than 2 week cancellation. Mom is not interested in the parks at all and has declared she'll spend the whole day by the pool. Aunt has food allergies. Mom prefers to eat organic, homemade meals. Grandma insists on coming along, but also insists (even more loudly) that she's "an old lady who can't walk very far or very fast".

Grandma hasn't been to the parks since MGM studios opened (she even insists on using that name) but everyone suspects she'll decided to go back to the hotel/only make it half day. Aunt and Uncle refuse to rope drop. Dad is razor focused on Star Wars. This is likely the 'last in a life time' trip for Grandma, a once a decade trip for Mom and Dad, but maybe the start of an annual trip for Aunt, Uncle, and the Prince... assuming it to goes well.

I keep coming up with a 2 bedroom with a kitchen (for mom) and a fold out bed (for Grandma). Probably going to end up at a DVC resort or deluxe just from the need for size and to be close transport wise. I've nixed Fort Wilderness, as the cabins have no door to the second bedroom, and honestly doors to a shut are a must if we want to get out of this intact. Thoughts?

FYI: this is planning for late 2021, so hopefully we don't need to worry about COVID19 restrictions.

Sounds like you already convinced yourself you want a two bedroom villa. If you book through Disney, you have the standard 30 day cancellation policy. Beach Club and Boardwalk would be the best transportation options for Epcot and HS.

Sounds like you already convinced yourself you want a two bedroom villa. If you book through Disney, you have the standard 30 day cancellation policy. Beach Club and Boardwalk would be the best transportation options for Epcot and HS.
Is there another option that I'm missing?

I'm going to speak evil.

A 2 bedroom villa might run around $800 or $900/night. My parents do normal non-Disney timeshares. You can get 2 bedroom non-Disney vacation condos / villas / whatever with full kitchens for more like $200 /night at the normal travel sites....

Sorry I don't know much about them but what about the Treehouse Villas? They sleep 9 but I'm not sure about the layout of the villa. Hopefully someone else here can weigh in.....

Treehouses are at Saratoga Springs. All bus transportation to the parks. Also around $800/night. Though I misspoke earlier, a standard view 2 bedroom villa at Beach or Boardwalk could be gotten for $650-700ish maybe.

Dave's DVC Request has floorplans and photos of all of the studio and villa types - https://dvcrequest.com/information/dvc-resorts

You might get more traction in the DVC Resorts forum.

Thanks for your replies! Would we be better off getting two or three hotel rooms? We'd lose the kitchen but might have more privacy. Can you get three rooms that are connected?

I think, in theory, you can get connected or adjoining rooms, but Disney doesn't guarantee this. I've only ever seen a setup where 2 rooms are connected, not 3.

You might want to look at Art of Animation suites as well. They have one bedroom, two baths, a living area with a sofa bed and table/murphy bed, and kitchenettes with sinks, mini fridges and microwaves. And they are skyliner resorts, so no bussing to Epcot and HS>

Thanks for your replies! Would we be better off getting two or three hotel rooms? We'd lose the kitchen but might have more privacy. Can you get three rooms that are connected?

WDW will not guarantee connecting rooms.

What is your budget? Would grandma mind sharing a room with the prince? If not, I would recommend looking at a 2-bedroom villa at BCV plus a studio at BCV for Aunt and Uncle. I would book through WDW and I would book a package so you can cancel up to 30 days before. You can book a room-only with a 5-day cancellation policy but then you have to buy separate tickets which would be non-refundable.

The two-bedroom, booked through WDW, at BCV will give you a master bedroom with a king plus a second bedroom with two queen beds (for grandma and little prince). You have the kitchen and washer dryer plus you are within close walking distance to EP and the Skyliner to DHS. It's also very close the to BC bus area and the resort QS. If that's too close for comfort with grandma, you could do a 2-bedroom villa and then do two studios - one for Aunt/Uncle and one for Grandma. You could also do the same set-up at RIV, but the location isn't as great as BCV, IMHO, and the resort isn't as fun, IMHO. If Star Wars is the focus, I would stay in the EP resort area.

It's difficult to get connecting rooms. Another option is to book club rooms of the same category and request to be near each other. At least you will be on the same floor, or in the case of Poly's Hawaii and GF's Sugarloaf, in the same small building. I can't guarantee the foods are organic in the club, but they're healthier looking than the ones from Quick Service. The staff there is also very accommodating with people that have food allergies.

Treehouse Villas have a master bedroom with a single queen sized bed and attached bathroom. Second bedroom has one queen bed, no attached bath. Third bedroom has a set of bunk beds (shorter and narrower than a twin sized bed). There is a second bathroom. There is also a queen sleeper sofa and twin sleeper chair in the living room. There is a large deck area. You will have a single parking place for your villa. If you have more than one vehicle, you can park that second vehicle at the Grandstand and walk to the THV.

There is a small pool near the THV, but you can use any of the SSR pools since the THV is a section of SSR. To get to the parks, you will either take a bus from the THV to the Grandstand and then catch a bus to the theme parks from the Grandstand or you can walk to the Grandstand and just get a single bus to the theme park. The THV are rather private. The four adults can leave Grandma with the kiddo at the THV and head over to the Turf Club or over the Disney Springs (there is a boat dock to DS at the THV, but it also stops at the Carriage House area of SSR - so total of three stops for this boat).

We are a family of six and have gotten two rooms. It is still less expensive than renting a villa, yet we get enough space.

What kind of budget are you working with? My first thought is 3 rooms, and ask for 2 of them to connect. I wouldn't put grandma on a pull out, but that is just me.

And with the pool being important I would at least do a moderate resort. POR has lots of chairs that can be in the shade if wanted, and also quiet pools that are less noisy. So does CSR. I'd stay away from POFQ as there is only one pool, and it isn't huge.

If you can swing deluxe, that would be ideal. Being on the boardwalk would give you tons of dining options. And I know there is one restaurant at the Dolphin, Fresh, that is a more healthy place. Have you considered staying at the Swan or Dolphin? They also have connecting rooms available.

You might want to look at 3 rooms at POP. You won't have the kitchen, but each family group would have their own space and bathroom. This gives you Skyliner access, so just a short ride to HS/MGM (haha!!!). And you might end up paying less than if you tried to get a 2 bedroom or treehouse room. Pop also has a couple of smaller, quieter pools, so that might be nice for Mom.

Disney does really well with food allergies. Most places have an "allergy" menu that you just need to ask for.

I agree with just getting 3 rooms at the resort of your choice. We’ve always had our requests for adjoining studios at Poly honored, but that’s just luck and I doNt know about three rooms.It’s vacation, let someone else cook! And Disney does have healthy food choices at most places. They’re very good with special diets. I love the treehouses and have stayed in them multiple times but the pool isn’t that great if you’re looking for a lot of pool time and if you don’t have a car it can be a headache getting anywhere with the internal bus system. We travel as a group of 9 and we either do 2 studios when we stay at Poly or a 2 BR elsewhere. Wherever you stay, going with family is sure to make a lot of memories for you all.

How about two rooms at CBR and POR, at least one with the "5th sleeper" option that is available at those resorts (not because you'll have 5 in one room, but because the 5th sleeper rooms have a pull down bed)? Put Aunt/Uncle in their own room, and use the "5th sleeper room" for you, spouse, grandma and kiddo. That way you and spouse can share one queen bed, grandma can have a queen bed of her own, and little guy can have the pull down bed.

The 2BRs at Old Key West are huge. And usually among the most affordable 2BR villas. One bedroom has a king, the other two queens, and a queen sleeper sofa. Kitchen is large- and the boat to Disney springs is a bonus.

The 2BRs at Old Key West are huge. And usually among the most affordable 2BR villas. One bedroom has a king, the other two queens, and a queen sleeper sofa. Kitchen is large- and the boat to Disney springs is a bonus.
You forgot the twin sleeper chair in the living room with the queen sized sleeper sofa.

I’d do 3 rooms too. At a deluxe if it’s in the budget. At least you’ll have a balcony or patio handy when putting the prince down, he can go to sleep while you’re Outside enjoying the balcony. But I don’t think you’ll have any problem with him falling asleep, he’ll be so exhausted.
Good Luck! Sounds like an interesting time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter