Best restaurants and sites to add to our trip?

jlnten17

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
We have a trip quickly approaching and have two days to add some fun things for our kids (boy age 8, girl age 11). We fly into LAX arriving around 1:30 p.m. We will be renting a car and driving to Disneyland to check into the Grand Californian that evening staying 4 nights. Are there any must see sights, restaurants, etc. that would make a nice detour that day? Just head straight to GC and swim/check out DTD? We spend the next 3 days at Disneyland with Park Hopper tickets. We then have another down day to check out of Disneyland and check into The Garland Hotel near Universal. This is another day we could add some sightseeing or other activities. We are at The Garland for three additional nights. One day we will be spending at Universal but we have the day of check in and our last full day in the Hollywood area largely open. Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Porto’s. They have several locations, but the only (current) one in Orange County is in Buena Park next to Medieval Times. Their locations in LA County are randomly located. They’re slated for a new location at Downtown Disney.

https://www.portosbakery.com/

Also, Medieval Times, although it’s more a dinner show. There might be a discount on the website. I remember one night we were at our hotel room in Buena Park as a recovery day, and I was thinking of maybe going on a BOGO special with the kiddo. Wife didn’t want to go. Didn’t end up going though.

https://www.medievaltimes.com/buena-park

Buena Park also has Pirates Dinner Adventure.

https://piratesdinneradventureca.com/

Last edited:

If you arrive at 1:30 I would suggest heading to the Grand and exploring DTD and the hotel. LA traffic can be unpredictable and heavy, so this way you won’t have unrealistic expectations of what you can accomplish if there is a delay at the airport or heavy traffic. It is such a treat to be able to meander the Grand and DTD without feeling like you *should* be in the parks. My kids love the pool at the Grand as well.

Things on the way from Dland to the Garland would be the Tar Pits and Griffith Observatory (in that order). They are both doable in a transit day. I love the Garland and they have great programming. My 10-year old asks if we can go back just to watch a movie and eat pizza in the pool. LOL

Thank you for the reminder about the traffic. I think we will skip the beach and the like in favor of enjoying the resort that first day. I'm sure we will be exhausted from the long flight.

For Portos, especially the one at Buena Park if you can't get there early enough, maybe before 8am? Be prepared to get frustrated with parking or might as well do online order and pick up. Their lot is horrendous. Last time we got there 9ish, still not early enough (although it was a Saturday). We got into the parking lot, saw the horror, turned around and left. If it's week day it might be better? I'm not local so not sure what's the best time to go.

The Warner Brothers Studio tour has great reviews for adults, but I'm not sure about kids.

For your arrival day or the day you transfer from GC to Hollywood, I would see if the Angels are playing. This depends on the kids though, since it might be a late night after a long day.

Knott's Berry Farm is a lot of fun, especially if the kids like coasters.

If they really like roller coasters, then you should definitely check out Six Flags Magic Mountain on one of your Hollywood days. I think they have the record for most coasters in a single park, and they're mostly high quality.

LA Zoo and California Science Center would both be fun for Hollywood days.

Knott's Berry Farm is a lot of fun, especially if the kids like coasters.
Mrs. Knott’s Fried Chicken Dinner = legendary meal and what an awesome value. You will not be hungry.

We did the Plaza Inn on our last trip to Disneyland and it was magical and a good value all things considered. The breakfast food was good, and our kids love the characters.

Head to Little Saigon and get some amazing food, it’s not that far away if you have a car.

We tried a spot in Downtown Orange called Woody’s Diner for breakfast during our last trip and really enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter