• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best SSR location for birding?

cdziuba

Earning My Ears
My family and I love to look at the Florida egrets and herons, and want to know the best SSR section to request for birdwatching. We like peace and quiet, always enjoy staying by the water areas at OKW, would love something similar at SSR. Thanks!

Congress Park - but anywhere at SSR you will find birds.

several of the villa have fountains and ponds, too.

If you have a view of DD, that is a great place for birds. I have posted a SS walk on my site, and I photographed a great blue heron, as well as other birds there.

Closer to the main area, there were some swans on Sunday. And really, it depends on what type of birds you are looking for. If you want the bigger water birds, then the DD/PI view is best, IMHO (though I agree, there are birds everywhere). :)

I don't remember if that area would be quiet at night - I've stayed there in townhomes when it was the DI, but I don't remember any real noise.

I second the Congress Park suggestion. We stayed there last month and there are a lot of birds along the water (and some cool ospreys in the trees). Also, take the path towards DTD. There is a non-developed section over there that had a number of birds and bunnies!

Thanks so much for the replies. I think we're going to like SSR very much. We don't plan on doing a lot of park hopping this time around, we'll be doing more mini-golf, relaxing, eating, shopping, and walking the grounds.

Someone on this forum posted a picture of a BEAUTIFUL bald eagle sitting in a tree in Congress Park. Wish I could remember who posted that!

If you have a view of DD, that is a great place for birds. I have posted a SS walk on my site, and I photographed a great blue heron, as well as other birds there.

Closer to the main area, there were some swans on Sunday. And really, it depends on what type of birds you are looking for. If you want the bigger water birds, then the DD/PI view is best, IMHO (though I agree, there are birds everywhere). :)

I don't remember if that area would be quiet at night - I've stayed there in townhomes when it was the DI, but I don't remember any real noise.

I second the recommendation of a DTD view. I'm an avid birder-always bring my binocculars and birding book to WDW. Although SSR didn't provide as many birds as some other DVC resorts, I did see some nice water birds. And look in the trees for Yellow-rumped warblers, Downy woodpeckers, Cardinals, and Blue jays.

Last May my sister and I stayed in the very last building in Congress Park and where on the very far end of the building from the check in. This area overlooks the nature area where the walking path leads to DTD. It was a great area for nature watching and very quiet in general. The only problem we had was there seemed to be more bugs when we were out on the patio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter