Best tactic to switch at 7 months?

Wakey

DIS Veteran
Good day to you all!

I get 1 beds in summer usually so normally book on 7 months as they are always available everywhere. So I never utilise the 11 month window. I have waitlisted (wanted a 2 bed standard Boardwalk and got it) on 7 months but that is it. I have never done a book and switch at 7 months.

However, I am going next Xmas 2019 and thinking about my bookings with the 11 month window rapidly approaching.

I am going for 11 nights so planning on a split stay 6 nights then 5 nights

I own SSR- I was going to stay there but given the refurb will only be part way through I would rather stay there when I am back in August 2020 when I will be more likely I hope to get the refurb room.

From Skier Pete's availability charts and my own observations for this Xmas 7 months ago, I should be OK to get a 1 bed over Xmas where I want which is likely Boardwalk and Wilderness lodge on 7 months- albeit I don't know if Star Wars will have an affect. It could increase the demand or could reduce it as many DVC owners may say they will give it a miss until later.

Anyway, I would, given its Xmas , have thought about booking SSR in one go when I could book the whole 11 nights, then amend the booking at 7 months to 5 nights WL and 6 nights BWV when the respective 7 month windows open.

BUT I have not used this new online booking amendment tool and so am not sure if this is easy or not.

Would it be simpler for any reason to make 2 bookings at SSR - the first for 5 nights, the second for 6 nights, then simply switch those out rather than booking it in one tranche?

If I do that and ultimately do not book elsewhere at 7 months would I be able to get member services to merge the two SSR bookings into one so there was no chance of me having to change rooms at SSR?

Can anyone explain how this amendment system now works exactly.

Thanks.

I would do the two separate bookings although I have not yet utilized the new on line change system yet. If your 7 month plan to switch does not work, MS can absolutely merge the two reservations into one to prevent having to switch rooms. MS has done that for us on several occasions. Good luck at 7 months. Years ago it seemed easier, but it is more challenging at 7 months now we have found.

Thanks Jerseygal. I never have any problems usually at 7 months in the 1 bed, even Xmas looks OK but I will see when we get to May!

I just thought I would do a dummy booking and play around with the system- only to see Olaf with his head on the floor and it not be available. What is wrong with the IT at this place!?

I second Wakey, about trying to do dummy reservations. You should practice, and get familiar with the program, and it’s foibles. First thing you should do is make a couple of dummy Bookings. Put them out by five or six months from now just for practice. Something that will not affect your points in anyway other than to use the points that are currently available. Next go in and modify these reservations. Go all the way through the modification process. Then go back to the beginning and do it again. Practice modifying two or three times. When you are done, just cancel them.

You can book 11 nights all together. However, you can only go seven nights deep into the seven or 11 month windows. What that means is that you can book 7 days, then on the next day you can change it to eight days, then on the next day you can change it to nine days, etc. so, for example, if you wanted to book at the 11 month window for next November 10, you could start at December 10 and book from November 10 to the 17th. Then keep modifying every day or every other day until you got your reservation to run from November 10 through November 21, or whatever date you wanted. Alternatively, if they are available, you could just wait until December 14, and then make one booking extending from November 10 through November 21. Does this make sense to you?

Considering it is such a busy time, and considering that it looks like there are a whole herd of walkers out there, nowadays, with the online modification program, you might also consider walking your reservation by starting a week or so earlier. This would also give you multiple chances to get the day that you want if they are busy. For instance, if you wanted an eleven day reservation for November 10, you might start on December 3 to try to book November 3. Then if you don’t get it because it is already taken, you could try again the next day on November 4, and then November 5, let’s suppose you finally get it on November 6th, but what you really want is November 10. Then I would just wait and on November 10, I would modify the reservation from November 6 to change it to November 10. You can do this, because you were modifying it before you reach the end of your block of dates. So, theoretically, it is unlikely that anyone will be jumping in on the other side of you in taking any of those days. Because you were modifying you can continue to extend your reach every day. As long as you’re not reaching more than seven days into the window. Then if you wanted 11 days I would just go ahead and keep adding another day or two on the end every day or two So that you never extend further into the seven month window than seven days at a time. I had to do exactly this process to get some reservations for a standard studio and a standard two bedroom at BLT for next October. It took several days of trying before I could get what I wanted. Then I had to modify it by a day or two. In other words, walk it a day or two.

I hope this helps.

Good day to you all!

I get 1 beds in summer usually so normally book on 7 months as they are always available everywhere. So I never utilise the 11 month window. I have waitlisted (wanted a 2 bed standard Boardwalk and got it) on 7 months but that is it. I have never done a book and switch at 7 months.

However, I am going next Xmas 2019 and thinking about my bookings with the 11 month window rapidly approaching.

I am going for 11 nights so planning on a split stay 6 nights then 5 nights

I own SSR- I was going to stay there but given the refurb will only be part way through I would rather stay there when I am back in August 2020 when I will be more likely I hope to get the refurb room.

From Skier Pete's availability charts and my own observations for this Xmas 7 months ago, I should be OK to get a 1 bed over Xmas where I want which is likely Boardwalk and Wilderness lodge on 7 months- albeit I don't know if Star Wars will have an affect. It could increase the demand or could reduce it as many DVC owners may say they will give it a miss until later.

Anyway, I would, given its Xmas , have thought about booking SSR in one go when I could book the whole 11 nights, then amend the booking at 7 months to 5 nights WL and 6 nights BWV when the respective 7 month windows open.

BUT I have not used this new online booking amendment tool and so am not sure if this is easy or not.

Would it be simpler for any reason to make 2 bookings at SSR - the first for 5 nights, the second for 6 nights, then simply switch those out rather than booking it in one tranche?

If I do that and ultimately do not book elsewhere at 7 months would I be able to get member services to merge the two SSR bookings into one so there was no chance of me having to change rooms at SSR?

Can anyone explain how this amendment system now works exactly.

Thanks.

In order to do a switch of part of a reservation you need to book your initial reservations in 2 parts. Otherwise when you went to switch it would want to replace the entire reservation with your new partial stay. If for some odd chance you didn't get to switch at 7 months you could then waitlist against one of the two reservations. And if by chance nothing came thru you could ask MS to merge the 2 reservation into one so there's nothing at all lost in booking it as two.

You can book 11 nights all together. However, you can only go seven nights deep into the seven or 11 month windows. What that means is that you can book 7 days, then on the next day you can change it to eight days, then on the next day you can change it to nine days, etc. so, for example, if you wanted to book at the 11 month window for next November 10, you could start at December 10 and book from November 10 to the 17th. Then keep modifying every day or every other day until you got your reservation to run from November 10 through November 21, or whatever date you wanted. Alternatively, if they are available, you could just wait until December 14, and then make one booking extending from November 10 through November 21. Does this make sense to you?

Considering it is such a busy time, and considering that it looks like there are a whole herd of walkers out there, nowadays, with the online modification program, you might also consider walking your reservation by starting a week or so earlier. This would also give you multiple chances to get the day that you want if they are busy. For instance, if you wanted an eleven day reservation for November 10, you might start on December 3 to try to book November 3. Then if you don’t get it because it is already taken, you could try again the next day on November 4, and then November 5, let’s suppose you finally get it on November 6th, but what you really want is November 10. Then I would just wait and on November 10, I would modify the reservation from November 6 to change it to November 10. You can do this, because you were modifying it before you reach the end of your block of dates. So, theoretically, it is unlikely that anyone will be jumping in on the other side of you in taking any of those days. Because you were modifying you can continue to extend your reach every day. As long as you’re not reaching more than seven days into the window. Then if you wanted 11 days I would just go ahead and keep adding another day or two on the end every day or two So that you never extend further into the seven month window than seven days at a time. I had to do exactly this process to get some reservations for a standard studio and a standard two bedroom at BLT for next October. It took several days of trying before I could get what I wanted. Then I had to modify it by a day or two. In other words, walk it a day or two.

I hope this helps.

At 11 months there's zero need to walk an SSR room or even do an extend day by day booking - especially a 1BR. Just wait the extra 4 days and book it all at once if that were the choice although as I mentioned above I'd split it 6 and 5 from the start. Also, I don't feel that attempting to walk at 7 months for Christmas is going to work. At best it would if one started in the week before but if it was open then it'll probably be open the following week and unless OP had extra points they couldn't have their back up room booked at SSR and also walk. The first 2 weeks of December are the busiest 2 weeks for DVC. If they aren't booked then there's almost certainly no reason to start a walk for Christmas as it will be available too. And walking from a November start all the way to Christmas at 7 months to walk thru early December? It's either going to be blocked or the room is more likely to be available for Christmas if it isn't so it would be a waste of time to have done it.

Thanks for the tips. Appreciate your advice Frederic, I'll do some dummy's to learn the new system as you suggest.
I am very good on 1 bed availability as I've checked it all the time for years. Like Kat says 1 beds at 11 aren't the problem, it was just how to manage the switch I was concerned about.
It seems people agree with my initial thoughts to do the two bookings separately and switch one. Good point about the waitlist also, will be easier to waitlist and replace one discreet booking entirely if that became necessary- which hopefully it won't as I should be OK for 1 beds at 7 months. Cheers.

The new system is so good (it just pains me to say that as I think Disney websites in general are junk and always have been) I had NO issues totally changing around my Princess weekend bookings around. It was that easy. And I didn’t even fully realize the modification tool was up and running at the time, so I definitely didn’t practice with it.

I wound absolutely split the ssr stay into smaller bits.

When booking two consecutive reservations, better to book them on different names, otherwise it may happen that MS will merge them without asking. Later if you cannot switch one of the two you can call and have the name changed and and the res merged.

The modification tool allows to modify ONE reservation into ONE reservation. It is not possible in the same transaction to drop a few days and book for those days another resort. First one has to drop the extra days, confirm, then book a new reservation. By the time the first reservation is booked, availability fornthe second resort might be gone. That's why it's better to have two separate reservations if one plans to switch part of the stay. (Or have extra points to play with, to book the new resort without cancelling first).

When booking two consecutive reservations, better to book them on different names, otherwise it may happen that MS will merge them without asking. Later if you cannot switch one of the two you can call and have the name changed and and the res merged.

The modification tool allows to modify ONE reservation into ONE reservation. It is not possible in the same transaction to drop a few days and book for those days another resort. First one has to drop the extra days, confirm, then book a new reservation. By the time the first reservation is booked, availability fornthe second resort might be gone. That's why it's better to have two separate reservations if one plans to switch part of the stay. (Or have extra points to play with, to book the new resort without cancelling first).
Wow good tip- do they really merge the bookings without asking? I'd be furious.

It's been reported more than once. I'm one though that can report that most times that even when I have a waitlist fill adding a day they don't merge that together and I end up calling to have it done. So, it's one of those you never know things.

I’ve had mine automatically merged, and the only bothersome thing about it was the first time when I didn’t know what was happening.

At first I was confused as to why you would be upset, but that’s bc I was thinking of the modified reservation.

For the initial reservations, yes, swap the lead guest names or change a guest name or something to make it different.

When you get the reservations successfully modified (being positive here) make the names the same. And then, if they automatically merge them you’ll like it.

I’ve had mine automatically merged, and the only bothersome thing about it was the first time when I didn’t know what was happening.

At first I was confused as to why you would be upset, but that’s bc I was thinking of the modified reservation.

For the initial reservations, yes, swap the lead guest names or change a guest name or something to make it different.

When you get the reservations successfully modified (being positive here) make the names the same. And then, if they automatically merge them you’ll like it.

Merging couldn't happen with reservations at different resorts or room types though so once they have the 2 they want they will remain separate. The only concern would be when waiting to change the one 11 month reservation so having different names on each of the first two reservations should prevent that possibility.

Last edited:
Hi.

After reading this I am not sure if I should call MS or leave it alone since I was t aware that MS would merge ressies.

I currently have the following booked and always stalking, especially at work where I have autorefresh working and at my computer all day:

Booked:
January 4-10: BLT LV Studio
January 10-12: GF Studio Standard
January 8-11: GF Studio LV

I have a WL for:
January 10-12:
BLT LV Studio since our first request would be not to move. If this WL came through it is scheduled to knock out the booked January 10-12 GF Studio Standard.

January 11-12: GF Studio LV
If this WL come through it is scheduled to knock out January 10-12 GF Studio Standard and I will modify my BLT stay to four nights.

Is it correct from what Im reading MS will merge my two GF ressies. Its same resort but different categories. It would mean extra moving where now Im only moving once. I undersrand about the holding of points and fine with that right now and will try to use. My question is about the merging of my two GF ressies, same resort different categories.

Thank you.

Hi.

After reading this I am not sure if I should call MS or leave it alone since I was t aware that MS would merge ressies.

I currently have the following booked and always stalking, especially at work where I have autorefresh working and at my computer all day:

Booked:
January 4-10: BLT LV Studio
January 10-12: GF Studio Standard
January 8-11: GF Studio LV

I have a WL for:
January 10-12:
BLT LV Studio since our first request would be not to move. If this WL came through it is scheduled to knock out the booked January 10-12 GF Studio Standard.

January 11-12: GF Studio LV
If this WL come through it is scheduled to knock out January 10-12 GF Studio Standard and I will modify my BLT stay to four nights.

Is it correct from what Im reading MS will merge my two GF ressies. Its same resort but different categories. It would mean extra moving where now Im only moving once. I undersrand about the holding of points and fine with that right now and will try to use. My question is about the merging of my two GF ressies, same resort different categories.

Thank you.

Only the exact same resort, room and view category can be merged. They cannot merge your VGF standard view with the VGF lakeview.

Only the exact same resort, room and view category can be merged. They cannot merge your VGF standard view with the VGF lakeview.

Thank you very much for this information. I appreciate it very much.

Yes thanks for your help. So no problems making a name up, then just changing it online at 7 months ?

Yes thanks for your help. So no problems making a name up, then just changing it online at 7 months ?

If there’s multiple people in your group I would just use your name on one reservation and somebody else’s on the second until you’re ready to finish them up after seven months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter