Best Thanksgiving Tips For Hosts

Saphire

DIS Veteran
I have tweaked so many things over the years as a Thanksgiving host, but the most helpful has been to cook a boneless turkey. It makes things SO much easier on Thanksgiving Day. If some want dark meat, they can cook a turkey at home. :p

Tell me your best tips to make the day go better, and Happy Thanksgiving!

I have tweaked so many things over the years as a Thanksgiving host, but the most helpful has been to cook a boneless turkey. It makes things SO much easier on Thanksgiving Day. If some want dark meat, they can cook a turkey at home. :p

Tell me your best tips to make the day go better, and Happy Thanksgiving!
My latest turkey help is: cook turkey the day before. You have more time and it's really nice to be able to say "Oops, not quite done" and stick it back in the oven for some more cooking.

After it sets (when done) you can slice the whole breast off and then slice it and lay it in a layer in a baking pan, drizzle some of the turkey juice on top and cover with plastic wrap (right on the turkey) then cover pan with foil and put in fridge overnight. Only takes about 30 minutes the next day to heat it up (remove plastic topper before putting in oven) and you're not spending all day in the kitchen when you have guests.

Another easy-peasy appitizer: Block of cream cheese with salsa poured over it. Serve with Wheat Thins for dipping.

PrincessShmoo...I have done this, and next to my boneless turkey, it is definitely a runner up for preparing the meal!

Fry the turkey. Oilless fryer outside. Takes that job completely away from me and the kitchen.

That and almost ever dish served can be done ahead.

Anything you can do ahead of time is good.....setting the table, prepping, cooking the food the day before, etc....

if you are already planning on sending leftover turkey home-save the hassle of dealing with it on the holiday by buying 2 smaller turkeys one of which you cook, carve and pack into to-go containers the day before (i'm actually making extra smaller versions of a few dishes in foil to go containers for dd-i'll cook them at the same time as the ones i serve but that way i can do smaller versions for dinner and not have big old casserole dishes eating up my fridge space or overcrowding the dishwasher),

do as much advance prep work leisurely days in advance as you can: i'm boiling eggs tomorrow, i'll chop nuts monday, chop onions/celery tuesday, wednesday we (dh :)) makes the pies while i set up the fridge and counter 'for battle', peel the eggs and make the filling to put in the next morning (so they don't get eaten the night before),

pick a no leftover/easy to eat meal for wednesday night (i'm a big fan of a papa murphys purchased the day before on $10 tuesday), use paper plates so that you can start the next day with an empty dishwasher and sink.

Fry the turkey. Oilless fryer outside. Takes that job completely away from me and the kitchen.

i so miss the old sacramento news station i used to watch every thanksgiving-their morning show always ran a reel of 'thanksgiving turkey frying catastrophes' viewers would submit (i love fried turkey but those videos of fryers tipping over and oil spill flames engulfing patios have me too afraid to every try doing it on my own).

if you are already planning on sending leftover turkey home-save the hassle of dealing with it on the holiday by buying 2 smaller turkeys one of which you cook, carve and pack into to-go containers the day before (i'm actually making extra smaller versions of a few dishes in foil to go containers for dd-i'll cook them at the same time as the ones i serve but that way i can do smaller versions for dinner and not have big old casserole dishes eating up my fridge space or overcrowding the dishwasher),

do as much advance prep work leisurely days in advance as you can: i'm boiling eggs tomorrow, i'll chop nuts monday, chop onions/celery tuesday, wednesday we (dh :)) makes the pies while i set up the fridge and counter 'for battle', peel the eggs and make the filling to put in the next morning (so they don't get eaten the night before),

pick a no leftover/easy to eat meal for wednesday night (i'm a big fan of a papa murphys purchased the day before on $10 tuesday), use paper plates so that you can start the next day with an empty dishwasher and sink.

i so miss the old sacramento news station i used to watch every thanksgiving-their morning show always ran a reel of 'thanksgiving turkey frying catastrophes' viewers would submit (i love fried turkey but those videos of fryers tipping over and oil spill flames engulfing patios have me too afraid to every try doing it on my own).

My parents specifically cook two birds so that there are lots of leftovers to send home. Nothing better than a cold turkey sandwich with a home made bun and a sprinkle of salt. I can’t wait for Christmas and turkey lol (we had our Thanksgiving a month and a half ago)

Have guests each bring an assigned side dish so you can focus on the turkey and getting ready for the party. Cooking a whole turkey is not that complicated and is fairly easy to do. Have a few snacks that don't involve cooking like cheese, nuts or crackers.

Oh, we don’t have that danger anymore. Oilless fryer. Makes the same juicy turkey with a crispy skin without the expense of all that peanut oil!

My niece’s ex husband had the whole oil boiling over catastrophe though. He measured the amount of oil wrong and had twice as much as he needed. Got it hot, added a 13 lb bird and oil all over luckily it didn’t hit the flame. Very scary. He was in the garage so the house could have caught on fire if flames had shot up.

Tradition for me has always been having a glass of wine about a half an hour before the craziness of serving the whole meal to everyone; really can calm the nerves. Usually I share with my Mother and now one of my DILs. :goodvibes

Stress free Thanksgiving:

Step 1: Take a job far away from any relatives.

Step 2: Tell said relatives that you only get one day off and can't take any additional. You'll see them at Christmas.

Step 3: Cook a small turkey with the fixings for your people and spend the day in pajamas watching football and parades.

We’re celebrating today due to the chaos of Thanksgiving Day and DH working Thanksgiving from sunrise to the next day’s sunrise. Which means we grocery shop for the day before the masses do.

*Utilize slow cookers.
*Chinet Paper Platers & plastic steam ware. Less dishes the better.
*Clean as you go.
*Prep everything you can the day before. Makes it so much easier.
*Make dishes that will be consumed. Less food waste and extra calories. This year that means Mac salad, Sweet Potatoes, Olive/Pickle Plate didn’t make the cut.
*Setup meal Buffet style.

Make the mashed potatoes early and keep them warm in a crock pot. DH's family does this and the first time I saw it my mind was blown! So simple, and yet no one in my family had ever considered it! I told my mom, and she had the same reaction.

This will just be my 4th Thanksgiving I've hosted, so some of these "tips" might be secondhand & already known to most people...

* We live in the South, so, many Thanksgivings, it's really not that cold - so I "extend" our living space out onto the deck off our kitchen. I set up the drink station & a coffee bar on a table outside on the deck, & we'll put a fire in our fire pit & set up our deck chairs around the fire pit. This gets the drinks out of the kitchen & the coffee machine off the kitchen counter.

* We use glasses during the dinner itself, but for any drinks before & after dinner, I have disposable cups & the disposable coffee cups that come w/ lids, & I'll put a Sharpie on the drink table, so people can write their names on their cups.

* The day before, I buy 2-3 fall mixed flower bouquets, & then, using those flowers, I'll put together separate arrangements for the dining table & for the main bathroom.

* Also, in the bathroom, I'll put out some disposal hand towels beside the sink - so people don't have to use the same hand towel over & over.

* All the different food dishes go on my kitchen table like a buffet, &, beforehand, I'll write the name of each dish on a post-it note & then stick the notes where the dishes will go on the buffet. I'll also go ahead & get all my serving utensils & serving dishes/platters out & put them in their places on the table.

* I set 2 tables - one in our dining room & one in our connected living room, & I iron the tablecloths & set the tables the day before.

* I never rely on having enough ice in our refrigerator ice maker, so I always buy a couple of bags of ice.

* The turkey goes in a roaster, so it doesn't take up any room in the oven. We usually also smoke a turkey in DH's smoker, but he has to work this year... so we're just doing a roasted turkey.

* I make sure to purchase a box of gallon-size Ziplock bags & have some extra storage containers on hand for leftovers.

* And I like to have some little activity or craft for the kids to do as they arrive & as final preparations are made in the kitchen.

What I have not yet figured out - how to get the mashed potatoes, green beans, roasted squash & apples, macaroni & cheese, & gravy all done & in serving bowls at the same time & get the pots & pans off the stove & out of the oven & neatly in the sink. I'm thinking about trying the crock pot for the mashed potatoes this year.

My parents specifically cook two birds so that there are lots of leftovers to send home. Nothing better than a cold turkey sandwich with a home made bun and a sprinkle of salt. I can’t wait for Christmas and turkey lol (we had our Thanksgiving a month and a half ago)

we had an abbreviated extra thanksgiving last month (turkey breast and a couple of smaller sides) but that was b/c i wanted the meat to cook a crock pot of some BOMBING soup mix that i can only purchase in canada (thankful for a friend that travels there in the fall and stocks me up for the entire winter).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter