Best things at Disney for a 2 year old

alexandra uk

DIS Veteran
Has anyone been with a 2 year old ?
What were the highlights of your trip, and was there anything that the little one didn't like ?

There are many things (aside from the rides) that youngsters enjoy. Fountains at DTD, and EPCOT (between WS & FW). Remember to take along extra clothing. Try to get a seat at the front of the monorail. My DD loved the Toy Story play area at ASMo, as well as the beach & playground at WL.
Things she didn't like...characters (They're so big!). Meals with characters.
Have a great time, but most importantly...remember afternoon naps!

...and how could I forget the "petting zoo" at FW, as well as the "Campfire Singalong". Every night they have a singalong with Chip n Dale, where kids can roast marshmellows, followed by a Disney movie.

We took our dd right before she turned 2 last year. She loved everything in Fantasyland except Snow White which we did not do. She especially enjoyed the carousel and Dumbo!! She also enjoyed Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Birds etc. - we took her on everything that had no height restriction and she enjoyed everything.

At AK, she enjoyed the Lion King show soooo much - she danced and clapped and had a great time. She also enjoyed the animal trails and the safari. I must admit she was not crazy about the It's Tough to Be a Bug show - too intense for her so we left that one early.

At MGM, she enjoyed the Playhouse Disney Show, the Little Mermaid Show and the Beauty & the Beast Show. She was so-so on the Muppets show but did enjoy it.

At Epcot, she loved the Living Seas - she could have spent hours looking at the sea animals. She also enjoyed the various performing artists in the different countries and the big fountains.

She also really enjoyed all of the parades at the parks (she seemed to enjoy the AK parade the most) as well as the fireworks.

We were fortunate in that she also loved all the characters she met - big or tall, plush or face - she just loved them all. We did several character meals and she beamed through every one.

She had such a good time, in fact, that we decided during that trip to return this year before she turns 3. We knew if she had that much fun at almost 2 then it was a sure thing she'd enjoy it even more this year. So, off to WDW we go next week and she is very very excited to visit all of her "Disney Friends" as she calls them.

Go and enjoy - it is such magic to see the little ones enjoy WDW!!

Our DD was two for our Nov. trip and is approaching 2 1/2 for our Feb. trip. She loves WDW and is soooo looking forward to going back. Two year olds are however very different in what they will tolerate and like and you'll quickly learn what they like once they are there!!

Our DD loves the characters especially the costumed ones. The "face" characters she was a little unsure of at first, but then warmed up to them too. She still talks about our breakfast in the castle with the princesses and our lunch with Pooh and friends.

DD's Fav's this past trip:

MK:
Dumbo!! #1 ride for her (she called every spinner ride, "Dumbo"
Carousel - close 2nd fav.
Winnie-the-Pooh
Alladin's Magic Carpets
Train
Toontown houses and playground
IASW
TTA
Indy Race Cars
Share a Dream Parade
Cinderella's Surprise Celebration
Meeting characters
Horse drawn trolly up Main St.
Shopping on Main St.

She's already told us she wants to try the Teacups (no spinning) and Barnstormer for this coming trip.

AK:
Tri-Ceratops Spin
Boneyard
Slides near the boneyard (we could hardly get her out of here)
Festival of Lion King
Train to Rafiki's Planet Watch and petting zoo
Jungle Trek Walks
Safari

MGM:
Muppets 3-D
Playhouse Disney show

Epcot:
Imagination
The Land
The Living Seas
Mexico boat ride
Spaceship Earth
Kidcot centers

DD also considered the monorails, busses, and trams "rides." She got upset when we took our car to the parks b/c she wanted to ride the bus!! :)

She absolutely loved swimming in OKW's pool - we were there after her nap and often after dinner too! :)

She also loved DTD, called it "MIckey's Mall" DD also loves eating in restaurants so all of our meals were fav's for her too.

For dislikes DD did not like dark or loud rides or portion of rides. So we often avoided them or she would close her eyes during a segment of an otherwise "tame" ride. We also did not do any of the fireworks shows up close as we did not think she would like that very much. We saw MK fireworks from the parking lot and that was fine.

Just see what your little one likes and I'm sure you will have a magical time!

My 2 year old is OBSESSED with the TTA. I love it too, so it works out great.

We also can't get him out of the Honey I Shrunk the Playground at MGM and the Curious George water play area at Universal Studios (if you are going there).

He also loves Tom Sawyer Island and the Boneyard at AK.

Basically any play area. ;)

In order to prepare our 2 y/o for our trip last June I purchased several of the sing-a-long videos which feature the characters interacting with kids. She was kinda nervous during her first Mickey encounter but by the end of our trip she was chasing Goofy with her pen and autograph book. Some of her favorite things were IASW, the Living Seas and the Hoop-Dee-Do Revue. Some of the attractions were kinda loud but as long as we covered her ears she was ok. She definitely did not like HISTA-both of our dd's were traumatized by that experience. I would also recommend doing one or two character meals.

Our daughter was 2 1/2 when we went last March. She loved most of what has already been listed here (Dumbo!!!, parades, Grand Prix, Peter Pan, teacups, carousel (sp?), Pooh, Snow White, Alladin, train, B&B show @ MGM, safari @ AK, Lion King show @ AK. etc. etc.)

She really liked almost everything. What she didn't like were the loud and dark rides. We were able to get her to relax during the dark rides by talking to her, but she never warmed up to the loud shows/rides. We had to leave in the middle of Little Mermaid @ MGM because she started crying and holding her fingers in her ears. We didn't do any of the 3D shows upon the advice of many on this board, which was probably for the best.

One thing that worked well for us at character greetings was having an autograph book. It kept her focused with a mission and helped to break the ice w/ the characters. By the time we got home, she was a pro at "signing my book." She still loves to look through it and and ask me who signed what page. In fact, she has done it so much, she recognizes most of the signatures and just points them out to me now.

Have a great trip!!

YMMV greatly. My then 2 yo ds hated IASW as well as the Tiempo ride in Epcot. He could have spent hours in the Boneyard at AK digging in the gravel. He hated anything that meant slow waiting (like the walking treks in AK) Future World in Epcot was a total bust for him save Spaceship Earth and Living Seas (we skipped the "ride" portion and just went in through the "exit" so he could see the aquatic creatures)

His all time favorite "ride" at WDW is the Monorail. To give him extra monorail time we would ride the Monorail from MK to Epcot. When he would get fussy or he felt like he was missing out (by us watching "boring" stuff like acrobats or musicians) one of us (dh or me) would take him to go ride the Monorail.

My ds also hated me doing any shopping. We had to do sneaky shopping trips like me sneak into a shop while dh took him to go see something.

:earsgirl:

DS (2 1/2) rode everything without height restrictions on our December trip. Didn't want to ride Barnstormer, but that was it.

Rode the carousel three times and loved the monorail. We rode Snow White, Haunted Mansion and the Pirates. He was a little unsure, but we had the "its not real" talk before the rides. I also told him he could put his blanket over his head if he got scared. Put the blanket on a couple of times, but no crying or fussing. It was also my cue that he was a bit anxious. I'd start talking to him about other things. Worked out great for us.

He didn't have any problems with the characters, except Cinderella. Still haven't figured that out. Thought it was because she was a face character, but he was fine with Jasmine and the Fairy Godmother. We watched the video of our vacation the previous year when he screamed in terror when Pooh approached. He told me he was "not going to cry this time. I'm a big boy." He didn't....

Have a great trip...

She is really psyched and can't wait to meet the princesses. It's all she talks about. We'll be taking her and DS to CRT. She has been wearing her princess garb for a week now! I absolutely can't wait to see her face when that spectacular castle is right in front of her - and when Cinderella says hello. She is going to be so excited!! And me too!

ANyway, we're planning to take her on Dumbo, Pooh, Peter Pan, Carousel, Tea Cups, Toontown, Mermaid show, B&B show and Belle's story hour. We won't be trying Barnstormer or any other "bigger rides" with her. I'm not sure if we'll take her in the Haunted Mansion either.

In the Epcot world showcase each "land" has a kidkot station that has coloring and stickers and they can make a mask that they then use during the parade. Each land also puts on music shows which my kids loved to dance to. Sometimes they were put in the show. The secret to going with little ones is to slow down and enjoy the sites and sounds around you and not to be so obsesed with going on "Rides". Remember family vacations should be relaxing and sometimes the things you remember most are the little things like the time your child first sqeels with delight at the sight of MICKEY. My daughters think he is the most magical thing in the world since he "OWNS" Disney World.:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter