Best type of backpack/day pack for theme parks?

My kids are 15, 12, 8 and I still use a small, lightweight backpack. I bring water, sunscreen, ponchos, pins for pin trading, pennies/quarters to make pressed pennies. I would always bring some kind of backpack or fannypack even if were just me traveling...lol.
Exactly and it's just me and DBF! I pack a change of socks, sunscreen, refillable mugs (sometimes they are hung on the bag), contact case and glasses (just in case), small container for snacks, a small notebook and pen, ibuprofen and benadryl, face/hand wipes, tissues, a few bandaids, sunglass case, and a few ziplock bags. I know some of this stuff is available free in the parks, but it's more convenient for me if I have it on me.

I have started using a sling back pack. I find it easier to get on and off and I can slide it around to the front if I am looking for something while we are standing etc. It is just hubby and myself so we don't pack a lot of stuff but I can throw a couple waters in and some snacks along with a small sunscreen etc. I could even get my light hoody in there and a small umbrella last trip.

I use a Bagspert that I purchased from Amazon. I was skeptical at first, but I LOVE IT! Extremely light weight, water proof, it can fold together to fit into a little pouch for travel space, and it has multiple storage pockets.

I may be in the minority, but since I'm used to carrying a purse over my shoulder, I find that I'm more comfortable just carrying a tote bag with a shoulder strap. I usually use a Vera Bradley tote of some sort. I like to carry a water bottle, camera, phone, sunglasses etc and prefer having a bag rather than going bagless.
I can’t imagine. We need a bag and my youngest is almost 9. We need a place to put our rain jackets, sunscreen, deodorant, Advil’s, bandaids, collapsible water bottle, hair ties and a folding hairbrush, hats and sunglasses when we aren’t wearing them, small purchases, you may want a change of clothes and flip flops if your little ones want to run in the splash fountains.

I admit I love having all the pockets and storage space in my backpack. I carry the North Face Borealis women's backpack and it is light and super padded so it's comfortable to wear all day. It has a ton of storage (more than what I will ever need) and it does the trick. Easy to get on and off too.

I’ve seen some cute Mickey and other wdw themed back packs in the parks, I wonder if those are comfortable. They are definitely cute. Was just considering looking for one. I don’t usually carry a bag, but last year when we went at end of July, we got ponchos since it rained every day. I carried them in the bag we got them in at the store, now that’s not comfortable.

My kids are 15, 12, 8 and I still use a small, lightweight backpack. I bring water, sunscreen, ponchos, pins for pin trading, pennies/quarters to make pressed pennies. I would always bring some kind of backpack or fannypack even if were just me traveling...lol.
Yes- with our almost 3 and almost 7 year old grands I feel like I need sunscreen, disposable ponchos, hand/face wipes, snacks, a couple of cheap small plastic cups we use to split drinks between them, band aides and a tiny tube of Neosporin. I can make do with a Travelon cross body bag, but can't imagine ever being able to go bagless with kids under 10 or 11.

I carry a back pack at the parks. One thing that I find is very important, for me, is to have an extra strap that clips the shoulder straps together around the front. I feel like this takes a bit of the weight off my shoulders and is much more comfortable for long days.

I have a decent backpack that I always use for travel and day trips, but I notice a lot of people seem to use simple drawstring backpacks. I like the idea of having more pockets and areas in my traditional pack, but what are some of the advantages/disadvantages of using a drawstring backpack instead? They are obviously lighter, but don't look comfortable at all.

To keep packing stuff to a minimum I only carry a wristlet to WDW where it works as a container for the parks as well as a pocketbook when we eat out in the evenings.

At the park it holds a mini wallet about the size of a credit card that hold a bit of cash, one or two c/cs, a govt ID and a tube of lip gloss. W/i the wristlet's main body I store a telescoping Totes umbrella when needed, my cellphone which is in a Mophie case thus no external battery needed, a small tube of sunscreen from the room's toiletries, a couple of Ibuprofens and that's it. Anything else can be gotten at the parks although I've had no need so far. Oh except for the time the man tripped, we went to the park's first aid station, and they gave him a bandaid or two.

I only use backpacks on camping trips far from civilization and apparently the same is true for the children I travel with, LOL.
Took the time to modify some really cute stuffed bunnies into backpacks to carry their belongings and they never used them @ WDW mostly because they want to be carefree w/ no responsibility for keeping track of much. DGD uses her's at home to store her writing implements which is great re-purposing to my way of thinking.

Other members of my WDW party just store their stuff in their shorts' pockets. My younger Disney traveling companions are past the need of carrying infant to toddler supplies which makes life easier as well.

Last edited:
I have a small, lightweight backpack that I love for Disney and taking on other vacations. It has one small zipped pocket inside for ibuprofen, small wallet with gift cards/AP/cash etc. and a couple of pockets on the outside that I can put my charger in when I am charging my phone. I also carry a bottled water, sunscreen, disposable poncho, flavor drink sticks, wet wash cloth and a couple of other small items.

DH and I don't even have kids and need a bag at WDW, though we have gone bagless at DLR. The difference is the weather. We need ponchos and I need foot care stuff because water or sweat from humidity + my feet = horrible blisters, so I bring extra socks, moleskin, and band aids. And sometimes a pair of sandals. We also bring Hydroflasks, and we'll probably get a travel umbrella or 2. Also, ibuprofen, our portable phone charger, and sunscreen.

Those draw string bags are horribly uncomfortable to me because of the strings digging into your shoulders and the lack of structure. We got a Patagonia Refugio backpack this time around. It's very structured and high quality (which of course was reflected in the price).

I have a jansport backpack I use at home, am fortunate enough to be able to walk to work when weather is decent ( upstate NY ) but have noticed it's really hot on my back lately. Has 2 mesh bottle storage sections and lots of pockets. Upcoming solo trip gonna try it at Epcot first day and go from there. Being a male don't need to carry much but still like the idea of change of shoes and poncho's. Going late July to early August. Gonna be hot. I recommend bring a few options and play it day by day

I love using a Kipling crossbody bag! It carries a lot of stuff, is light weight and I don’t have to take it off for rides.

We use a drawstring bag and i keep it light as I end up carrying it most of the day. I don't like things in my pocket so it just has a couple rain ponchos, a travel size sun screen, sunglasses case, and a couple phone charging cords. Keeping it light, the strings don't dig into my shoulders and it fits into the ride bag holders. We don't take any water bottles, we take advantage of the free ice water so we are close to a qs restaurant just about anywhere we are in any park.

The closest to bagless I ever managed to be was when it was just DH & I and I carried around a camera in a slightly larger than necessary camera bag. That allowed me to slip my inhaler, a tiny tube of sunscreen, and a few other tiny essentials with me.

Now we like to use the smallest crossbody bag or backpack we can find. We try to find something that is adjustable so that we can all have a turn carrying it. Even with older kids, we still have the need for some of the same things as when we had no kids....I still need my inhaler, for instance, and I definitely still need the sunscreen too. We'll keep some ziploc bags in there so that phones can be kept dry on wet rides, and a few folded ponchos since we always go during the rainiest time of year. Nothing major, but more than any of us want to keep in our pockets for an entire day. I find carrying a bag is more comfortable than having pockets loaded with stuff.

So I'll be checking out all of the suggestions in this thread for sure. :)

I used a Tommy Hilfiger backpack that I had for years on 3 of our Disney trips until it finally crapped out. I now have a Walt Disney World backpack with multicolor Mickey heada that I absolutely love..it has multiple pockets and it just works for us. This last trip my DD used a drawstring bag to carry a few things of hers now that shes older.

how do people go bag free? What do people do about sunscreen? I can't imagine carrying that around in my pockets all day.

how do people go bag free? What do people do about sunscreen? I can't imagine carrying that around in my pockets all day.

We usually carry one of those sticks to reapply. But we put a good amount on before we leave the room and just reapply the hot spots.

I know this thread is a couple of months old, but do any of you worry about items getting stolen from your backpacks? I always wanted to use one, but this scared me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter