Best Way to Book First DVC Stay

momocay

Mouseketeer
I just purchased DVC for OKW. We took a trip over the summer and stayed in a two bedroom there, and it was beautiful. With that being said, I started with 125 points knowing I will add on in the future. For my next stay, I would like to try out different DVC resorts so I can find my favorites. (I have stayed at SS in the past and didn't love it. Could be because I'm from New York.) For my first stay, they suggested I call to make the reservation. From this board, I know this is dangerous, as you lose that extra hour of booking. Here is my plan for next summer. I would like to do August, not too late as my DD is in college. This will be for her 21st. Ideally I would like to stay 2 nights in two studios at the Poly and finish with 5 nights in a 2BR at BCV. Should I book what I would like at OKW now, and then try and change it at 7 months. Should I call at 7 months and hope I get a little magic if needed? The BCV is ideal because I am traveling with my mom, who is more of a lay by the pool instead of hitting the parks gal. Any suggestions/advice would be helpful. Thank you.

I always book my home resort at 11 months to ensure I have s place to stay. Then I go online at 7 months to switch resorts (if we want to move).

I just purchased DVC for OKW. We took a trip over the summer and stayed in a two bedroom there, and it was beautiful. With that being said, I started with 125 points knowing I will add on in the future. For my next stay, I would like to try out different DVC resorts so I can find my favorites. (I have stayed at SS in the past and didn't love it. Could be because I'm from New York.) For my first stay, they suggested I call to make the reservation. From this board, I know this is dangerous, as you lose that extra hour of booking. Here is my plan for next summer. I would like to do August, not too late as my DD is in college. This will be for her 21st. Ideally I would like to stay 2 nights in two studios at the Poly and finish with 5 nights in a 2BR at BCV. Should I book what I would like at OKW now, and then try and change it at 7 months. Should I call at 7 months and hope I get a little magic if needed? The BCV is ideal because I am traveling with my mom, who is more of a lay by the pool instead of hitting the parks gal. Any suggestions/advice would be helpful. Thank you.
If you bought direct, the reason they want you to call is that they can help you get your reservations. On your first reservation they can pull from cash inventory that you do not have access to. You can call and speak to your guide and they can explain it better to you. I was able to get Thanksgiving week at the 7 month mark at BCV. No way I do that own my own. Good luck.

If you bought direct, the reason they want you to call is that they can help you get your reservations. On your first reservation they can pull from cash inventory that you do not have access to. You can call and speak to your guide and they can explain it better to you. I was able to get Thanksgiving week at the 7 month mark at BCV. No way I do that own my own. Good luck.

That is only for reservations in the 6 month timeframe after purchasing so it would not apply to a booking next August.

You can do practise bookings if you feel uncomfortable with the online system - just make certain they are far enough out so you can cancel without any penalties. Other than having trouble technically there's no reason to wait to call whether it's your first booking or 100th.

Most times of the year you'd want to have a back up book at your home resort. If your trip is for August though and at OKW in a 2BR it's probably not really required. You have an issue because you want two rooms at PVB and you want to do a split stay. With PVB you have to book each room separately and you won't know how many are available when you go to book. Switching the second part is easier because it's 1 room and either you'll have it or not. If you book a backup at OKW do it in 2 parts. Do one reservation for the first 2 nights that you want to switch to PVB and then the rest to match when you want to try and switch to BCV. You'll want to use the modify option on your existing reservation to make the switch.

I do think you'll probably have a good chance to get the two PVB studios. BCV during the summer is popular though. You'll probably know before the day if that's going to be a possibility or not by looking at availability. Have other options in mind if it ends up not being available.

That is only for reservations in the 6 month timeframe after purchasing so it would not apply to a booking next August.
Nope, not true. Unless something has changed. My guide had me call him on my 7 month day and he handled it from there. I gave him a list of three resorts I wanted to stay at and listed them from first choice to third choice. I bought my first contract at the beginning of MArch and my reservation was for Thanksgiving.

Nope, not true. Unless something has changed. My guide had me call him on my 7 month day and he handled it from there. I gave him a list of three resorts I wanted to stay at and listed them from first choice to third choice. I bought my first contract at the beginning of MArch and my reservation was for Thanksgiving.

It says it in the contracts. For first reservation in the first 6 months. The point of it is to get new buyers reservatations in times that there might otherwise not be any rooms available on points. It's nice that your guide acted as your MS person and reserved the room but that is not technically a Welcome Home reservation which you also can call MS for.

It says it in the contracts. For first reservation in the first 6 months. The point of it is to get new buyers reservatations in times that there might otherwise not be any rooms available on points. It's nice that your guide acted as your MS person and reserved the room but that is not technically a Welcome Home reservation which you also can call MS for.
Hence the reason I told them to call their guide to explain it. As far as I can tell, you don't work for Disney, therefore you have no say as to what they do for someone.

Hence the reason I told them to call their guide to explain it. As far as I can tell, you don't work for Disney, therefore you have no say as to what they do for someone.

It would have been outside the rules for your guide to access a 7 month non-home resort booking any sooner than 8am at 7 months. Any owner can do the same online.

I think in his case, the guide simply made the booking for the member, following the 7 month rule. Basically acting as Member Services as a courtesy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!