Best way to cut straight lines w/o paper cutter?

TheOtherVillainess

Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter.....
I didn't realize how sucky I cut straight lines until I started this scrapping project. I've asked DH to get me a paper cutter for Valentine's Day (which is also our 6 year anniversary :love: ). But I don't want to wait until then to finish the layouts I've been doing. So what's the best way to cut a straight line w/o a paper cutter?

HELP!

TOV

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about -- I can't cut a straight line either! BUT I have found a way that helps....I measure everything and mark it w/a pencil and then cut that way. For example if I want to put a border or mat a picture, I'll lay the cropped picture on the paper I want to be the mat, then mark 1/8 " around the picture by making a pencil mark on all corners and about half way between on all 4 sides. Then I'll lay my ruler down and connect the lines and cut along the lines. This usually works for me altho I still use my cutter faithfully. GOOD LUCK!
Karen aka TN Traveler

I used a ruler and an exacto knife before I bought a paper trimmer. If you are careful you will get straight lines every time. :D

Stephres said:
I used a ruler and an exacto knife before I bought a paper trimmer. If you are careful you will get straight lines every time. :D

This is my preferred method too. Just make sure that you use a suitable board to score on otherwise you will end up cutting your table!

Yes, I have a couple of scratches in my dining room table! :blush:

Hi everyone,

For cutting paper and photos, Creative Memories has terrific items. They sell an awesome personal trimmer for photos and smaller sheets of paper and a 12 inch pattern with cutting blades and cutting mat that have changed the way I scrap!!! If anyone is interested in learning more, let me know.

WDW*3 said:
For cutting paper and photos, Creative Memories has terrific items. They sell an awesome personal trimmer for photos and smaller sheets of paper and a 12 inch pattern with cutting blades and cutting mat.

I use the personal trimmer, for small items. Before I bought a 12" trimmer, I used to use the CM 12" pattern with the blades. I love my 12" trimmer though!

Do you have an exacto knife? Line a ruler up where you want to cut, hold it down firmly and use the exacto knife to cut along the edges.

I'm not a scrapper, but a quilter. You could probably also invest in a rotary blade and mat.

But if your going to invest in a rotry blade and matt you'd be better off investing in a 12" paper trimmer. I have the plan old fiskers 12" and love it. I don't think they cost all that much either. I just got the new fiskers 12"...and for some reason it has a catch in it...about the last 1/2 inch just becomes REAL sticky. I'm thinking I'm going to have to take it back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!