Best way to get from DLR to US without a package?

monorailrabbit

Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!
I thought this would be more straight forward than it appears to be. On a previous trip, we booked a package and were able to add on transfers to/from SeaWorld through our Disneyland package. This time, we are not doing a package. I did a google search and found multiple bus lines, metrolinks, trains, etc. What is the best/easiest way to get to Universal Studios? It will just be myself and BFF and we are not familiar with LA at all. Looking for something that is mostly stress-free and not cost us a ton :) I thought there was something that picked us up at the Anaheim hotels, took us straight there, and back again, but I keep seeing things about transfers and weird bus hours.

Edited to add: we will not have a car

Last edited:
If you're wanting a straight shot, your best bet would either be renting a car or Uber/Lyft. Uber/Lyft will probably cost you a pretty penny. Maybe there's some kind of shuttle service you could look into?

I forgot to add this very crucial bit of info: We will not have a car, and have NO interest in trying to drive in that traffic :) It will have to be public transportation.

If you want public transportation, best bet is to take one of the Amtrak trains or metrolink from ARTIC (Anaheim train station) that will take you to Union Station in Downtown LA, and transfer to the red line metro (north Hollywood direction) that will take you to the free shuttle that will take you to Universal Studios.

You can take Amtrak/Metrolink from the Anaheim station to LA Union Station, then the Metro Red Line (subway) from Union Station to the Universal Studios station. Metrolink is the commuter rail line and is cheaper than Amtrak and includes the Red Line Fare, but runs during limited hours which might affect your return time. At worst you could take Amtrak on the return.

second option for public transport which I have done

Get the Metro Bus Route 460 at the bus stop at the pedestrian entrance to Disney on Harbour Boulevard. This bus will take you direct to Downtown LA. Get off at South Figreroa Street and 6th Street and walk up to 7th Street Metro Station. Get the Red Line Metro North Hollywood Direction to Universal City Stop. Come up to street level and , cross over the street and take the free shuttle bus up the hill to Universal City Walk.

Transport time between Disneyland and Universal Studios approx 3 hours each way.

So, there is no bus that will pick you up from the resort area and take you there? That's how we got to SeaWorld. Is it possible to walk to this train station? Thinking about trains and transfers makes me nervous. We are coming from NE and don't have any of this fancy stuff :rotfl:Maybe it's simpler than I am thinking it is in my head? I know it's a long drive there, totally prepared for that!

What is the best/easiest way to get to Universal Studios? ... Looking for something that is mostly stress-free and not cost us a ton :)
Based on all that I'd vote for LUX bus for you. You can get to the ARTIC train station via the OCTA #50 bus (or Uber/Lyft/Taxi), but it sounds like you want fewer moving parts, and I can understand that.

Starline Tours could probably take you there and back, to and from Universal Studios at least. http://www.starlinetours.com .

They will collect you from your hotel and take you to the depot; from there you'll get on the correct bus that takes you to Universal. It may well be an early start though.

Starline are certainly a reputable firm - prices may not be the cheapest but for the least hassle, they are worth using. There are a number of other trips they run too.

Public transit in Southern California is not abundant or easy unfortunately. Arranging for private transportation is probably your best bet.

Unbelievable as it may sound, driving or private transportation is not an option for many people. I have been visiting Disneyland and the LA area every year for the last 8 years and I dont drive. I use public transport to get around, just the same as I do in my day to day life here in Europe. For example, this past June, I took the Metro 460 bus from Disney to Downtown LA, then switched to the Metro Red Line to Union Station, then Gold Line Metro from Union Station to South Pasadena, all on my own with a 50 pound trundle suitcase and carry on luggage.

Unbelievable as it may sound, driving or private transportation is not an option for many people. I have been visiting Disneyland and the LA area every year for the last 8 years and I dont drive. I use public transport to get around, just the same as I do in my day to day life here in Europe. For example, this past June, I took the Metro 460 bus from Disney to Downtown LA, then switched to the Metro Red Line to Union Station, then Gold Line Metro from Union Station to South Pasadena, all on my own with a 50 pound trundle suitcase and carry on luggage.

I did not say impossible, but it is not the easiest or fastest option. I wish it was easier. I would so love to take the train to various places instead of sitting in traffic in my car, but prices, routes and schedules are so difficult that I just never do it.

Not sure if this is helpful but we are going to legoland for a day and we decided to just rent a car from Alamo rental car right there in downtown Disney. It felt like the easiest option for us.

I forgot to add this very crucial bit of info: We will not have a car, and have NO interest in trying to drive in that traffic :) It will have to be public transportation.

I hear you, but I’d reconsider. I’ve never found the SoCal traffic to be as horrid as people feel it is. And I’m a nervous driver.

Or just use rideshare or taxi.

Public transit in Southern California is not abundant or easy unfortunately. Arranging for private transportation is probably your best bet.

Yep.

I have a friend who tried for a year to use public transportation in LA and finally gave up. He’s now an Uber driver. And Lyft.

For example, this past June, I took the Metro 460 bus from Disney to Downtown LA, then switched to the Metro Red Line to Union Station, then Gold Line Metro from Union Station to South Pasadena, all on my own with a 50 pound trundle suitcase and carry on luggage.

You can do it, but none of that is anywhere near abundant or easy as the pp said. Sounds miserable to me.

American public transportation is pathetic compared to Europe, and Los Angeles is worst than most of American big cities.

I looked at the website and I don't see prices. Our trip is in January, so it's too far out to reserve.
Click on the link BadPinkTink provided > hover over "Daily Sightseeing" and click on "Universal Studios Tours" > you'll see the prices ($35 or $148 with admission) and the "Book Now" link. You can reserve all days in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter