Best way to get from DLR to US without a package?

You can do an Uber or a Lyft. It’s about $45 each way but they pick you up straight from the hotel and it’s the easiest way to go without any stress.

I agree with Uber or Lyft. But do be aware that surge pricing is not uncommon in that part of LA, especially during regular commute times and also in the evening when people are using Uber/Lyft to get around the city for dinner, concerts, etc.

My son and his girlfriend took Uber both directions to Universal Studios and it was less than $50 each way.

Unbelievable as it may sound, driving or private transportation is not an option for many people. I have been visiting Disneyland and the LA area every year for the last 8 years and I dont drive. I use public transport to get around, just the same as I do in my day to day life here in Europe. For example, this past June, I took the Metro 460 bus from Disney to Downtown LA, then switched to the Metro Red Line to Union Station, then Gold Line Metro from Union Station to South Pasadena, all on my own with a 50 pound trundle suitcase and carry on luggage.

I appreciate your input since you have practical experience at using public transportation when you come out to visit. One of these times I'm gonna tag along with you. ;)

I agree with Uber or Lyft. But do be aware that surge pricing is not uncommon in that part of LA, especially during regular commute times and also in the evening when people are using Uber/Lyft to get around the city for dinner, concerts, etc.

True but in many cities surge pricing is pretty common. In the end it still is one of the easiest ways to get around. No driving, no parking fees, no having to take public transportation in a city your not very familiar with or before they are open. We’ve done almost everything in LA and Lyft is one of our most common go to’s as it’s just easier but yes can be pricey at times.

I appreciate your input since you have practical experience at using public transportation when you come out to visit. One of these times I'm gonna tag along with you. ;)

thanks, lol, well Im at the very early stages of planning my June 2018 trip right now, trying to figure out dates, would be fun for a European to show a SoCal person how to use the public transport in their city :)

True but in many cities surge pricing is pretty common. In the end it still is one of the easiest ways to get around. No driving, no parking fees, no having to take public transportation in a city your not very familiar with or before they are open. We’ve done almost everything in LA and Lyft is one of our most common go to’s as it’s just easier but yes can be pricey at times.

I agree, I love Uber/Lyft and surge pricing is just part of the deal sometimes. It's just a good idea when planning a trip, if you're on a tight budget, to bear in mind that you may end up with a bit larger credit card bill than expected.

I take public trans to DLR from Hollywood (and back) several times a year.

Going to DLR I take Metrolink from Union Station to Angel Stadium then ART to Disney.
Going to Hollywood I take Amtrak back to Union Station because the last Metrolink is 5:30PM

ART from hotel to Angel Stadium > Metrolink or Amtrak to Union Station > Red Line to Universal.

I regularly take public transit from Downtown LA (where I live) to both Disneyland and to Universal. People are right about your options:

The simplest, cheapest, and longest trip would be:
#460 LA Metro bus to Downtown LA, transfer to Red Line subway to Universal (~3 hrs one way)

Slightly faster, slightly more expensive:
Taxi/Lyft/OCTA bus to Anaheim train station, Metrolink or Amtrak train to LA Union Station, switch to Red Line subway to Universal (~2.5 hrs one way)

Personally, I take public transit everywhere and am a huge advocate for it, even in LA. But for this particular trip, I think that I would use a private bus service because 6 hours of transit in one day is a big chunk of your vacation. I can't vouch for Lux, specifically, but that's the sort of private transit service I would look for.

We're going to be there this coming week and my kids are going to take the Luxbus. I got it for $30 round trip from Anaheim motels to Universal from Getawaytoday, hope it works out good for them. I don't know what the time for pick-up is yet, we're suppose to call 48hrs before they go.

This is a great way to go:

ART from hotel to Angel Stadium > Metrolink or Amtrak to Union Station > Red Line to Universal.

We also take a Lyft/Uber to ARTIC and then take the Pacific Surfliner to Glendale and then Uber/Lyft from Glendale to US. It is usually about $12-$15 for a Lyft from Glendale to US and $5-7 to/from the ARCTIC. We live in San Diego and take the Pacific Surfliner (Amtrak) to Disneyland and LA all the time. Driving through south Orange County or anywhere in LA is our worst nightmare.

We also take a Lyft/Uber to ARTIC and then take the Pacific Surfliner to Glendale and then Uber/Lyft from Glendale to US.

This is such a great idea! I'm so DTLA-centric that this option didn't occur to me. Amtrak to Glendale (or Burbank, so your Lyft doesn't have to go around the park), is a really good recommendation.

Thanks everyone for the input. I was hoping it was easier than having to do transfers and such. Maybe Lfyt will be the way we go.... BFF is still wanting to do a bus line. We still have a month or so to bat it around :)

This is such a great idea! I'm so DTLA-centric that this option didn't occur to me. Amtrak to Glendale (or Burbank, so your Lyft doesn't have to go around the park), is a really good recommendation.

For some reason I never thought to ride the Surfliner all the way to Burbank, but it looks like it is a shorter Lyft ride from Burbank to US than from Glendale. We are heading up there this Saturday so I just booked our train tickets to go all the way to Burbank.

Thank for the recommendation!

We used Uber last spring from an Anaheim resort to Universal Studios. We wanted to be there at opening and the tour bus we looked into -Starline Tours- arrived later and left earlier than we wanted. Uber cost us about $80.00 round trip. we were able to set our own hours for the day and thought the price was reasonable.

I have some experience taking the Metrolink/Amtrak and Red line. Its quite easy and so simple. Its about a 1.5 hour ride, i went in the morning where driving was just about the same amount of time. It was lucky i took the train because there was a protest where they ran onto the 101 freeway and stopped it for a good 30 mins.

Metrolink was $8.00 per person, Red line was $1.75 per one way. Amtrak was $12 though. On the way back, i came back around 8, i missed the 8:15 train so i had to wait for the 10:13 train. I made the mistake on not buying the ticket ahead of time, redline has no wifi or signal so i couldnt buy it on the way there, and the red line was delayed. The problem with amtrak though, it stops at Fullerton, then heads down to SD, it does not stop at anahiem artic station during the night train... might be a good idea to go Anahiem --> Universal --> Fullerton. If you have any questions, ask away! :]

also, at universal, there is a shuttle that takes u from the station to the park entrance so u dont have to walk up that big hill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!