Best way to help older relatives? How to make things clear?

dieumeye

DIS Veteran
Going to WDW in 2020. Will be joined by older relatives mid-trip. So they will be traveling alone. I want to make it easy for them so I’m looking for tips hoping to avoid potential “points of failure” on their journey.

They aren’t senile, but I could totally see any of the following things happening even though I will explain very clearly what they need to do many times before the trip.

-We didn’t have those wrist bands with us. When you said “keep them with you at all times from the moment you leave the house,” we just thought you meant once we got to Disney World.

-I know you said we don’t need to get our bags (we’re doing DME), but I decided I wanted to wear a different hat so we went to get our luggage and waited an hour and it never showed up!!

-I remember you said there’s a bus we can take, but we couldn’t find that so we just took a taxi.

-Told the taxi driver we were going to Disney World. But wasn’t sure what hotel we were staying in so he dropped us off at the (not our resort).

I’m thinking of making a notecard with instructions. Any ideas of what to include? Want to avoid any point where it might not be clear what to do next. Thanks!

Many people travel with folders containing their documentation. I would create a print out, and/or a copy, of the documents that they’ll need. Make sure they have the MEletter, make sure they have a print out of the resort, include a map of MCO so they know how to get to ME.
DW and I do something very similar. We don't personally use the MCO map but that's because we know where we're going. But we have the ME letter, our magic bands either on or in our carry on bags, and a printout of our itinerary that has our confirmation number and hotel info on it. All of that goes in a folder in my backpack and is just for peace of mind to know that if there is a problem we can provide as much information as possible to help resolve the issue.

Going to WDW in 2020. Will be joined by older relatives mid-trip. So they will be traveling alone. I want to make it easy for them so I’m looking for tips hoping to avoid potential “points of failure” on their journey.

They aren’t senile, but I could totally see any of the following things happening even though I will explain very clearly what they need to do many times before the trip.

-We didn’t have those wrist bands with us. When you said “keep them with you at all times from the moment you leave the house,” we just thought you meant once we got to Disney World.

-I know you said we don’t need to get our bags (we’re doing DME), but I decided I wanted to wear a different hat so we went to get our luggage and waited an hour and it never showed up!!

-I remember you said there’s a bus we can take, but we couldn’t find that so we just took a taxi.

-Told the taxi driver we were going to Disney World. But wasn’t sure what hotel we were staying in so he dropped us off at the (not our resort).

I’m thinking of making a notecard with instructions. Any ideas of what to include? Want to avoid any point where it might not be clear what to do next. Thanks!
My DH and I could totally see this happening to my beloved in-laws who are not at all senile but in their late 80s. Make the cards.

One thing I would be sure to mention is how far of a walk it is to magical express on the B side. Not A, but B. Ask me how I know this is an important fact... Make sure they have the letter they send. The bands aren't actually needed to ride the bus, ME can look them up or use the letter. They have added ME to the directional signs everywhere so you should be ok.

You might be overthinking every little thing that could go wrong. I started to do that as well.

Did our first trip with the in-laws and my mom (all late 60s) in October. I made them each a printout with the info they would need for arrival, transportation, hotel info etc. They are smart, responsible adults but Disney was new to them I didn't want to risk anyone getting frazzled or stressed because they didn't know what to do ahead of time. I presented it in a way of "Hey. I know this is your first time at Disney, I want you to have fun and not be worried about these things. I hope it helps but let me know if you have any other questions or need my help."

We only had one issue come up and we solved it when it happened instead of trying to prevent every problem before it was even a problem.

TRAVEL FOLDER! Seriously everything you just wrote, I can see happening with anyone in our family. I would do the printout and if you want you can expand into a travel folder to make it easy. Tabs like Flight Information (one page for DEPART Hometown, ARRIVE Orlando and the next for DEPART Orlando, ARRIVE Hometown), next tab for Hotel Information, next tab for Luggage/Bags, next tab for Transportation or even subdivide into Getting to Hotel and Getting to Airport, next tab for WDW Musts, Tips, and Tricks, next tab for Dining/Itinerary, including how to access the disney app. As long as you aren't condescending in the relaying of information, might actually be appreciated. I usually prepare something similar for our more complex family vacations with lots of 'to dos'. But a lot of this is knowing your audience. If they would be insulted by such a thing, I don't think the hassle is worth it and just deal with the issues as they may arise (might not arise at all). If they would really like and appreciate it, you can create one for each of them.

When my mil meets us I meet her at the airport - she's in her late 80's and very travel savvy but I feel like if I can make things easier for her why not?

She stays with us but like your family usually doesn't want to do as long a stay as we do so I grab an uber to the airport and meet her just after the trams . Trip before last I was able to use DME with her but I am not sure if that is the norm (I called DME directly prior to doing this). Last trip I had her arrive with us and leave early and that worked out really well for all involved as I could help her with RAC and then just waited for the DME bus with her.

Alternately if they are "old school" then printing them an itinerary (or cards) would be a great idea as that is the way it was done for many years. Don't worry about MB's, if they make it to DME the CM can definitely look them up by name and or resort.

Another option if it is in their / your budget is to hire a town car service, the driver will be a the bottom of the escalators prior to baggage claim holding a sign with their name on it. They will have help with their bags and a private comfortable ride to the resort.

Last edited:
I agree with the travel folder. My husband has traveled with older relatives alot and always had a travel folder for them even if he was with them. In regards to the ME, How often do they travel if at all? I know the magical express makes things easier but I would ask them what they are comfortable with taxi, Uber or magical express. Also, do they want to get their luggage? (I do let Disney handle my luggage but sometimes it does stress me out not having it in hand.) Honestly, if it was my family I would help them pack before I left so to try and limit their stuff to carry-ons even if that meant packing a few items for them with my stuff. This way they wouldn't need to worry about luggage tags or checking bags.

We have relatives joining us for a part of our next trip and while they're only in their mid-60s, I know they'll be overwhelmed by certain aspects of the trip. That said, they're relatively tech-savvy, so I plan to write down important info, but I've also texted and emailed it to them. I'm going to make them download the MDE app too, and will set aside some time to show them how to use it, assuming that will help them figure out anything that would come up while my husband and I aren't available to help. There will be times they're hanging with our kids, so I've also been showing my daughter (age 5) how to use it to get places etc, see plans, etc if grandma and grandpa can't figure it out.

I'll text them room numbers and how to get to reservations etc. They'll likely end up with a huge string of info from me in our group text, but I'd rather both of them have access to the info if they need it. I don't think they'll be offended by having the extra info.

I like the idea of a travel folder, Heck, I use what I call the "Notebook of Phenomenal Cosmic Power" when we travel--it has any important documents (letters, confirmations, travel insurance details...) clipped in. It has any maps, directions--anything that might be tricky (like navigating Orlando Airport, which is huge, and it's easy to get turned around). My notebook has a zippered pencil case in it, that I might use to carry money, a passport--maybe Magic Bands, in your case.

I would couch it in terms of, "Here's information you might need, in case things don't work out and we get separated". For example, it would be reasonable for you to give her the name and number to the hotel, in case she gets off the plane and feels ill, and wants to go straight there (versus whatever your original plans are). I would give her any other relevant phone numbers--the travel agent, WDW Reservations, etc. It might be way more info than she needs...but you don't really know. If she needs none of it, great!

I do like the idea of a travel folder with all of the important documents. I book everything for my parents and this would be a good way to make sure they have everything they need.

In September, I had to travel to CT Sun-Wed for business and then was leaving for WDW on Friday. I live in CA, so across the country. If it was just me, I would have routed from CT to CA and spent an extra 2 nights in FL. But, my Mom is 81 and there was no way I was going let her fly alone from LAX to MCO. First, I carry all bags and could not take it all with me and then getting her to LAX via UBER alone would have been problematic. And then through the airport (even with wheelchair assistance. It was just too much to even consider her doing it alone. So I flew back to CA and was there barely 48 hours before turning around and flying back across the country.

In June (I think), my Dad wants to go to a college reunion in IN. He will be 85 by then. When he went a few years ago, it did not go well with him flying alone (especially when there was a change in the flight coming home). He refuses to use a cell phone (can use an IPad, but using a phone is just too complicated even when I tell him to ask a 10 year old for help). If he goes, my Mom will need to go with him (I just can't really miss the work) and I am kind of scared of the 2 of them flying alone. At least Mom can use her IPhone to call or text me with issues.

Love your post!!! We traveled with my in laws for years and loved the trips but unfortunately we no longer take them.(my father in law has passed away)My mother in law would love to visit but she can not grasp the idea of having a plan, fast passes, and reserving dining so far in advance. It's too hard to convince her that arriving before 11am is a good idea. She hates the bracelets and its a fight to get her to wear them. Disneyworld has really progressed in the last 25 years and she's having a hard time going along with the "changes". She still thinks you can show up at O'hana at 5pm and get a table for 8 with no problem. It's not easy visiting WDW and can be very confusing so do what you need to help them understand and navigate successfully.

TRAVEL FOLDER! Seriously everything you just wrote, I can see happening with anyone in our family.

This statement is so true! The travel folder is great for anyone! On my last trip, my DD and I went to WDW four days before my husband joined us. He flew alone but was confused on what resort we were in. He got of at POR instead of PORFQ and I got a call from him when he was at the front counter and confused.

So, the travel folder would be great for elder parents and anyone traveling separately from someone who know the ropes and has been to Disney before.

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I’m definitely making a small document/folder with all the necessary info. I’m not stressed about it and no one will be offended, just want everyone to have all the info.

I’m including DME info, resort info, and instructions to get to the park we’ll be in when they arrive so they can meet us.

I’m also going to make little wallet sized “cheat sheets“ for everyone that show all the transportation options to and from all the places we will be visiting during our stay. That way, if we need to split up, everyone will have a quick guide to getting wherever they need to go. This was at the request of my wife, who is pretty sure she’ll be ready to head back to the room with our youngest long before my older daughter and I are ready to call it for the evening! 😂

Ha ha we are dvc and im not your parents age by far and traveling with the 4 kiddos alone I have a travel folder when I go anywhere , passports copies if said passports , insurance policies custody papers etc .
copies of any other hotel reservations , rental car papers ..
nothing wrong with being organized ..:) ( I even have envelopes with spending money per day )

can you just have their magic bands with you or sent you the hotel ? Just in case

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!