Best way to use DAS

Cindy Cooper

Earning My Ears
My husband is legally blind and walks with a site cane so he will probably get a DAS pass.

What is the best way to use it?

It will be me and our two sons ages 4 & 6.

DAS is best used in conjunction with FP+ so be sure to pre-schedule your 3 FP+ for each day. Most people decide to use FP+ for the rides they absolutely want to do and that notoriously have the longest lines. There is information on the TPAS forum with recommendations, but of course this can be very individualized based on your preferences.

Diagnosis doesn't automatically qualify for a DAS, your husband will need to explain his NEEDS related to waiting in a standard queue environment and specifically why he is unable to wait in the queue. Here is a link to the DAS information for WDW - only the first post is relevant, the rest is discussion from a few years ago when the DAS program launched. https://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/

Enjoy your vacation!

My husband is legally blind and walks with a site cane so he will probably get a DAS pass.

What is the best way to use it?

It will be me and our two sons ages 4 & 6.

You will have to be able to explain what it is about the standby queue that makes it so he cannot access the attraction.

If you are given a DAS, he has to ride the attraction with you. Read the FAQ at the top of this forum for how the DAS works. It's basically like a 4th FP.

umm why can he not wait in lines? that is the ONLY way a DAS will be issued. he can enter any regular or Fast pas lien and be directed to the alternative line if necessary, but being legally blind does not necessarily mean he qualifies for a DAS at all.

a good touring plan and judicious use of Fast Pass is the best way to do Disney, with or without a DAS

umm why can he not wait in lines? that is the ONLY way a DAS will be issued. he can enter any regular or Fast pas lien and be directed to the alternative line if necessary, but being legally blind does not necessarily mean he qualifies for a DAS at all.

a good touring plan and judicious use of Fast Pass is the best way to do Disney, with or without a DAS

We have been a few times and he has always been given the DAS Pass. So I am not worried about that.

Just wanted opinions on how to use it best.

Little surprised anyone having used a DAS a few times would be seeking tips on how to use it best :confused3
How was it used the other times that make you think he isnt using it best? Knowing what you all do and know would help others give new advice.

As @lanejudy mentioned, it works best in combination with FP+. It would be helpful if you could elaborate more on what the issues were in the past that makes you want tips on using it.

Below is something I posted in another thread regarding how to use the DAS in combination with FP+. I'm not sure if this is the type of info you are looking for, but maybe it will help.

How they work great together is that you can go get a return time for a ride near the ride where you have a FP+, ride the ride you have the FP+ for, then go and ride the ride you got the DAS return time for. The return times with the DAS are 10 minutes less than the standby time. As an example, here's a situation my DD and I use often. We want to ride both Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. I pre-book a FP+ for Splash. We walk back to where the rides are, but before entering the FP+ line for Splash, I go over and get a return time for BTMRR. The standby wait for BTMRR is 30 minutes. Our return time is 20 minutes from then. We go ride Splash using our FP+, and by the time we are done, the 20 minutes has passed and we can go ride BTMRR with the return time. Or if the BTMRR standby wait was longer and our return time isn't ready yet by the time we are done with Splash, we can go grab a Mickey bar and enjoy that in a shaded spot while waiting for our return time. (And Mickey bars as a time filler might happen far more than I'm willing to admit. Those Mickey bars really hit the spot on a hot day.:earsboy:)

Other good tips for using the DAS: Get a return time for a ride before stopping to eat a meal. If you take a mid-day break, get a return time before leaving the park for a break. The return times are good until park closing that day so you aren't limited to an hour like FP+. So you can use your return time when you get back to the park after your break. This works well for my DD because taking a swim break at the resort helps her de-stress.

The DAS return times will only work for rides the person the DAS was issued to is riding. So if that person decides not to ride a particular ride, you can't use a DAS return time for that ride.

Last edited:

Surely the best way to use a DAS is really individual? Like, for us, because our issue is that DS cannot wit in constricted and close proximity to that many people in the queue with his ASD and sensory issues around other people and closeness, so the best use for us is to use it so that he can access his favourite rides, and not be forced to skip them, or to be so overwhelmed that they are not enjoyable.

Someone else will use them for a different reason and so their best use is going to be different?

I try to use my DAS just the same way that some one with out it would tour the park, So I will get a DAS return time and then find some place to wait go back for the ride then get another return time.

There are a few rides that I know Like too loop BTMRR is one of them so I will get a FP for those and before I go on I will get a DAS return time and try to have it so my DAS and FP are at the same time ( I normally do my FP for 11 to 12 and will go get a DAS return time about 10:45)

another things I do is I know I have to take a break I will get a return time for a ride that has at lest a 60 minute wait so this way I know I will have to go find a quiet place for at lest 50 minutes, I will use this time to find a place to people watch, walk around, watch a show ( like the castle show, one of the out side show at the world show case, the people of hollow wood , things like this) I will go on my ride and then get another return time and do the something.

If I am at Disney any longer then 5 days I will get a return time and go back to the hotel and really rest for about an hour.

you need to find what works best for your disability is it better to go in the morning do a lot of rides then back to the hotel rest for a few hours and then back at night, are you ok if you do not do a lot of ride that many rides in a row, ( for the most part this is what I do, as I find any more then 3 rides in a row like at RD I can easily to 3 or 4 rides in 30-45 minute but then Start to have problems that have lasted all day long,)

so finding what works fro you is the best way to use a DAS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter