Best & Worst Pirates discussion

And just like you can choose not to watch Fox News you can choose to not watch this

This is always the go-to cliche around here. But it’s not quite that simple, and frankly, it’s insulting.

Yes, if you don’t like our president, you can go live in another country. Yes, if you don’t like to pay a state income tax, you can go live in Florida. Yes, if you don’t like your neighbor, you can sell your house. Yes, if you don’t get along with your parents, you can cut them out of your life. Of course these are options, but that’s not really the way grown-ups react to everything. If so, we’d all be alone... living on an island... dying on the inside and out.

Most people don’t have a black-or-white and intolerant view of life as your tired cliche suggests. We mix and mingle and learn and listen and participate. Among the ways you build communities is through diversity.

Again, I don’t see the Pirates controversy as having an easy answer. I don’t even have an opinion as I can see both sides. But I cannot disagree with the original post that it would have been nice to hear both sides represented - especially since her point-of-view is not just one person’s opinion but, instead, representative of a cultural tusnami that’s swept up this country.

This is always the go-to cliche around here. But it’s not quite that simple, and frankly, it’s insulting.

Yes, if you don’t like our president, you can go live in another country. Yes, if you don’t like to pay a state income tax, you can go live in Florida. Yes, if you don’t like your neighbor, you can sell your house. Yes, if you don’t get along with your parents, you can cut them out of your life. Of course these are options, but that’s not really the way grown-ups react to everything. If so, we’d all be alone... living on an island... dying on the inside and out.

Most people don’t have a black-or-white and intolerant view of life as your tired cliche suggests. We mix and mingle and learn and listen and participate. Among the ways you build communities is through diversity.

Again, I don’t see the Pirates controversy as having an easy answer. I don’t even have an opinion as I can see both sides. But I cannot disagree with the original post that it would have been nice to hear both sides represented - especially since her point-of-view is not just one person’s opinion but, instead, representative of a cultural tusnami that’s swept up this country.

I don't disagree that it is an easy topic - my point from the begging is that this show, best and the worst, wasn't set up to debate topics - it was the standard panel for all things that share that panels experiences. They don't switch it up based on the topics it is always the same. If you don't like that structure then maybe this isn't the show isn't for you.

As I have also mentioned before they have covered the topic on the main program as well where there were other people that gave their opinions as well

I think it would be a much different thing if it was put out there as "this is a show where we discuss topics and actively chose the people that participate in each show to represent multiple angles on that topic" - and then the result was clearly not that .... now maybe they should have a show like that, it would be interesting, but that is not how it is set up so being disappointed it doesn't fit what one wants to see when it was never pretending to be anything it isn't I don't think is fully fair

POC is fantasy, a make-believe theme park attraction. As such, there is, or should be, a certain amount of license to depict things that in real, actual life would be despicable. For the record, I'm totally opposed to robbing and pillaging in real life, but not terribly offended by the fictitious renderings contained in Pirates of the Caribbean. Having said that, I don't care if they change the red-head scene or not since it's not all that pivotal to the storyline anyway.

But I cannot disagree with the original post that it would have been nice to hear both sides represented
As MaxRebo said, it might be nice for them to have a "point-counterpoint" type of show where they present and discuss issues that way. Being a former debate team member myself, I would totally be into that sort of thing. But I completely understand that the Best and Worst show is not that. It's just a few guys sitting down together and giving their own personal opinions (or in some cases, presenting the results of facebook polls they have conducted). I don't expect that to be a balanced presentation. It might be if the 3 of them don't all agree, but it could just as well be very one-sided, and that's fine too. It is what it is.

The nice thing is that we have this site to discuss the topics they introduce in a lot more detail and have a lot more people weigh in with their thoughts and opinions. It's a great follow up to the stuff they cover on the various shows.

If you’re insulted, there are many options out there -it’s not a cliche. This is their show and I’m pretty sure they’re going to create it their way -not your way, or mine. So, I think you’re wrong -it is simple! We can debate the way they present things, but why? I’ve been listening since nearly the beginning, and I believe Pete is quite confident in his product.

If you’re insulted, there are many options out there -it’s not a cliche. This is their show and I’m pretty sure they’re going to create it their way -not your way, or mine. So, I think you’re wrong -it is simple! We can debate the way they present things, but why? I’ve been listening since nearly the beginning, and I believe Pete is quite confident in his product.
Yes and no. There have been plenty of times when Pete changed something about the show based on listener feedback. A recent example is getting rid of most of the Housekeeping section of the Tuesday show.

So yes, they are going to create it a certain way but they’re also willing to tweak it as needed.

Yes and no. There have been plenty of times when Pete changed something about the show based on listener feedback. A recent example is getting rid of most of the Housekeeping section of the Tuesday show.

So yes, they are going to create it a certain way but they’re also willing to tweak it as needed.

Sure ..that would be true for any business(or most anyway). But I’m pretty sure he’s suggested finding another show more than he’s tweaked the show . I just feel this has snowballed -they had the same people they always have, they didn’t purposely leave another “personality” off because of the topic. There certainly wasn’t any malice beyond someone just disagreeing with his POV ...which is perfectly fine. Plus, who wants a perfectly homogenized group of people talking about a topic ....boring. And then no one would be talking about it. Remember “New” Coke! (Some)Controversy is great for business.....

I do understand your point. I just don't fully agree with the change. I agree that women in no way should be treated like we have seen in the news and such.

I honestly have never heard anyone complain about the scene. I am not discrediting your story by any means either. I have gone to Disney since I was 8 months old and never felt the scene taught me as a young boy it was okay to judge women based on those things.

I feel the best and worst also had never heard of such complaints which is why they had the discussion they did. I could be wrong about that though. I think we would have seen discussions online on the boards or elsewhere if the scene was such an issue. We didn't though. Just my take.
There are lots of things that are not okay in the scenes, it's a time of war and drunkenness and all kinds of behavior that is not acceptable. Those things did happen. So, I don't want to be insensitive but the whole ride may offend some people. The movie itself didn't focus on those things. Maybe the entire theme of the ride should change...there were many funny parts in the movie and great scenes. I suppose you could look at it like those things should not be on a ride, where people can say "I love that ride!" I wouldn't enjoy going on a ride where people of color are being abused. I guess I'm not sure just taking out that one scene really resolves the many issues folks might have with it. The movie was more of a comedy to me, so I don't really interpret the scenes in a negative way. All of us should be open to hearing different perspectives, whether we agree or not.

I always thought the argument of it being of historical value was more about it from a Walt/Imagineering etc history ... no real history. That said ..... I believe there are two, maybe more, points of view here and there is no reason for anyone to have to try to change anyone's mind or infer that any point of view is wrong. It is after all a vintage theme park ride that is completely optional to all. No adult has to ride, no parent has to take their child on it. So they change one part, but it still leaves LOTS of other "offensive" parts on the same ride. It is not the only ride at Disney that is "offensive" and I think at some point the real issues in the world become lost or diminished when so much energy is place on a ride.

I am female, I have an adult daughter; I take no offense, I don't think she does either. I guess I look at it from the point of view that the pirates all want the red head because there is no doubt in my mind she is a prostitute and therefore .... comes with benefits. I'm not sure why anyone would want to be her other than her obvious sass. So the new one will still have sass but goes from prostitute to pirate, neither are good.

At some point we could lose many attractions/entertainment:
- Pirates has LOTS issues going on in there
- Peter Pan kidnaps three kids in the night and tries to enslave a female to be slave (mom) to his gang
- Most Disney Villains represent some pretty horrid actions against others, there go the best greets
- 7DMT aka little people
- WORSE yet is 7D Dopey, clearly a disabled individual with an offensive name, often teased, very disturbing!
- Haunted Mansion is actually disturbing to some guests due to it's treatment of death and afterlife
- Splash Mountain ..............
- Jungle Cruise ... head hunters?
- Small World, a boat ride of stereotypes of different cultures and races

The list goes on and cleansing something doesn't make it go way, except for in conversations and that is never good.

PS DS went on the Paris ride this fall. He said it is so much better, tells an actually story and makes more sense. Too bad that much renovation is not possible here or I would say will never happen.
You could add anything that has a car in it - thousands of people killed by them every year, or anything that has a gun in it for the same reason - just a PC world gone mad!

1) I think, if you contribute to the show financially through Patreon, you have a right to at least make a suggestion from time to time without being told to quit listening.

2) Whether you’re a Patron or not, members of the podcast team openly ask for feedback regularly, sometimes in these very threads. They don’t seem bothered by it, but often make changes based on it.

3) I can’t imagine you don’t have at least one thing to say critically about Disney (check your post history) but nobody is asking you to stop going to the parks.

So yes, I do think it’s a tired and intolerant and insulting viewpoint to suggest I stop listening because I made a suggestion to improve the show.

But I’m ok with your disagreement. And I won’t ask you to stop reading or responding to my posts just because you don’t like them.

My thoughts exactly. Are we to "romance" the history of the pirate to the point that they are looked at like heros? While we are at it, let's take out the drinking, thieving, and burning. Pirates were bad people- criminals who raped, pillaged, and plundered- this is the point of the store of the ride.
Aren't all Disney movies and stories about good vs evil. There is always a villain, and characters that treat others badly. I thought the point of the tales is to show that good triumphs over evil and this is the lesson. As ldubberly said, there are all kinds of bad behavior in Pirates, they are Pirates.

1) I think, if you contribute to the show financially through Patreon, you have a right to at least make a suggestion from time to time without being told to quit listening.

2) Whether you’re a Patron or not, members of the podcast team openly ask for feedback regularly, sometimes in these very threads. They don’t seem bothered by it, but often make changes based on it.

3) I can’t imagine you don’t have at least one thing to say critically about Disney (check your post history) but nobody is asking you to stop going to the parks.

So yes, I do think it’s a tired and intolerant and insulting viewpoint to suggest I stop listening because I made a suggestion to improve the show.

But I’m ok with your disagreement. And I won’t ask you to stop reading or responding to my posts just because you don’t like them.

I’m saying this in the nicest tone and truly don’t have an issue with your points. BUT.....I am a Patreon member and have never once thought that being one gave me an ounce of say in the shows direction -sure I could make suggestions ...me and thousands of others. Feedback is always good. I’ve complained about things Disney plenty of times and still do -when it comes the time I’m insulted, trust me, I will find other options ....it’s a big world and a short life. I won’t stop reading your posts -my point is that realistically, I have no expectations that my viewpoints will impact the show. I realize you and many others feel the way you do, if you enjoy the show, shake it off and move forward. They read these threads, so I’m sure your voice has been heard ...you can’t ask for much more. Warmest regards(because it’s way below freezing cold where I am)!

I want to be clear, even though I am thrilled they are changing the scene.. this was DISNEY's decision. I never protested it beforehand, nor did anyone else. People like me didn't cause this to happen. Just because we think Disney did the right thing doesn't mean that we had a hand in changing it. Disney did a great job in predicting the change in culture towards women and was pro-active, something they should be applauded for, whether you like the scene or not.

When I posted this thread, I hoped that someone from the team would respond and acknowledge that they didn't do a good job in discussing this topic given the current status of the women's movement. As I've gotten older, I've come to respect people who can admit to their mistakes because only when you admit them can you do better. I was disappointed by the broadcast, and am now even more disappointed by the lack of response. If they had responded, it would have gone a long way.

I want to be clear, even though I am thrilled they are changing the scene.. this was DISNEY's decision. I never protested it beforehand, nor did anyone else. People like me didn't cause this to happen. Just because we think Disney did the right thing doesn't mean that we had a hand in changing it. Disney did a great job in predicting the change in culture towards women and was pro-active, something they should be applauded for, whether you like the scene or not.

When I posted this thread, I hoped that someone from the team would respond and acknowledge that they didn't do a good job in discussing this topic given the current status of the women's movement. As I've gotten older, I've come to respect people who can admit to their mistakes because only when you admit them can you do better. I was disappointed by the broadcast, and am now even more disappointed by the lack of response. If they had responded, it would have gone a long way.
Respectfully if this whole thread was more about them reaching out to you personally to acknowledge your thoughts about the show wouldn't contacting the podcast team via e-mail (see this page: http://www.disunplugged.com/contact/ ) be better suited for that? That contact page does say "Have questions that you would like our team to answer? Is there a topic you’d like to hear discussed on our podcast?"

Otherwise I'm sorta at a loss here as you appear to only have created the thread because you view their view on the subject as wrong and want them to admit their mistake :confused3 in not speaking/treating the subject in the exact way you wanted them to. I kinda don't really know what to even say on that but again I would say e-mailing the podcast team via the link above seems more appropriate.

Respectfully if this whole thread was more about them reaching out to you personally to acknowledge your thoughts about the show wouldn't contacting the podcast team via e-mail (see this page: http://www.disunplugged.com/contact/ ) be better suited for that? That contact page does say "Have questions that you would like our team to answer? Is there a topic you’d like to hear discussed on our podcast?"

Otherwise I'm sorta at a loss here as you appear to only have created the thread because you view their view on the subject as wrong and want them to admit their mistake :confused3 in not speaking/treating the subject in the exact way you wanted them to. I kinda don't really know what to even say on that but again I would say e-mailing the podcast team via the link above seems more appropriate.

Don't put words into my mouth. I did not say that was the reason I posted the thread. I said that I hoped that they would respond. I did not say I wanted them to respond to me personally, but an acknowledgement of the error would have been very nice.

Don't put words into my mouth. I did not say that was the reason I posted the thread. I said that I hoped that they would respond. I did not say I wanted them to respond to me personally, but an acknowledgement of the error would have been very nice.
I'm not putting words in your mouth :confused3

Ok...so you hoped that they responded but you're disappointed even more that they didn't respond and it would have gone a long way if they had responded (edited: corrected word). Apologies but that sounds like you expected them to respond otherwise why add in the bit that your're even more disappointed that they didn't respond and it would have gone a long way if they had (edited: corrected word). As the creator of the thread when you comment that you created the thread and hoped that someone from the team would respond and then further respond in the exact way you want them to (by admitting their mistake :confused3) yeah I'm going to think this is more of a personal matter since you specifically have feelings towards the subject matter and personally feel they didn't respond in the Best and Worst show in the way you wanted them to. They aren't under an obligation to respond to someone who creates a thread nor may they realistically be able to.

The DIS boards is mostly for us members to communicate with each other. Of course from time to time members of the podcast have responded to threads. They have the ability to read the threads of course too (and we know they do from time to time). But I still maintain if what you are looking for is a response from members of the Podcast team reaching out via the contact us link is a better venue. Your disappointment is with them so why not contact them personally?

Last edited:

In your opinion it was an error.

That does not mean it is their opinion nor the opinion of a majority of their viewers/listeners it was an error.

I think the course I would have taken would been to have email them directly rather than hope they read here, that I would have appreciated if they had included another point of view and why. Maybe it would give them food for thought for the future, and maybe not if there aren't enough others telling them the same.

In the end it is their program, we don't get any say so in how they operate it; but they are and should be open to comments to help them understand their audience.

Shawn is the one who reads the emails based on recent comments. I think it's rare for others to read them but many do read the boards. I haven't gotten the impression he replies often. I certainly wouldn't reach out that way if I had a question say..to John or Kevin.
And I think it's lovely Claire brought it to the boards. I am not sure why people are being so tough on her. We have come to the reality in 2017 that sexual mistreatment of women is absolutely rampant and has been swept under the rug.
It's been a really great conversation. I appreciate reading all the different perspectives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!