Best Year Ever!! An International Disney Park PTR

Your trip sounds fantastic. France is the best!! I would have added the days to France too if I'd gotten on here before you made that call!! So excited for you!

Ok finally read up on this one!

It has a strict dress code (like the code even tells men when they can and cannot remove their sport coats) and an even stricter no photography policy. This is because CELEBRITIES FREQUENT THE CASTLE.
I’ve gotten to go twice and it’s pretty fun! Unfortunately no celebrity sightings though! And they are very strict on dress code-one worker came over and had my brother tighten his tie!

They have a bunch of different rooms, some large ones downstairs (and you should get a priority pass to one of them with your dinner), but my favorites were the close up magic ones since you are sitting right next to the magicians!
As for the two days following the ABD, I think I'll leave them as fairly un-planned beach days. I know I said I don't like leaving things unplanned but I've heard from so many that the Backstage Magic trip can be absolutely exhausting, so I want to take pressure away from needing to be anywhere specific. So I figure we'll hit up Venice/Santa Monica on Saturday, then go a little further out to Malibu on Sunday.
I think this is smart because you also can base it on other things you hear about during your ABD. For beaches, my family always visits Seal Beach. It’s not as touristy as Huntington or Santa Monica, but it’s nice and casual, with a sweet Main Street and a nice beach area (just if you go, stick to the north side of the pier-the waves aren’t as rough).
Alright you guys left me hanging and we had to make the decision on our own.
View attachment 390641

SO we decided to tag on an extra week to our France trip! So the rough plan now is Paris for 3 days, 3 day trips around Paris, 3 days at Disneyland, then head to the south of France & the Riviera for a week. It's going to be amazing and the mega planner in me is STOKED.
I would have said the same thing! You’ll already be over there anyways, might as well see another area of France!

Joining in over here!

Excited to hear about you DL and DLP trip! We just got back from a similar trip! 3 and a half days Paris, 2 and a half days DLP, also a golden forest room!

And they are very strict on dress code-one worker came over and had my brother tighten his tie!
I'm both excited and incredibly stressed about this dress code. I have NO idea what to wear.

For beaches, my family always visits Seal Beach. It’s not as touristy as Huntington or Santa Monica, but it’s nice and casual, with a sweet Main Street and a nice beach area (just if you go, stick to the north side of the pier-the waves aren’t as rough).
Thank you for the suggestion! I'm not at all familiar with LA-area beaches so any tips are appreciated :) We know that we definitely want to rent roller blades and do that near a beach at some point if you know anywhere that's good for that. We were thinking Santa Monica/Venice but I know that will probably be super busy.

Excited to hear about you DL and DLP trip! We just got back from a similar trip! 3 and a half days Paris, 2 and a half days DLP, also a golden forest room!
Oh fun! What did you think of the Golden Forest rooms? I was a little hesitant to splurge but I'm hoping it will be worth it.

Any other tips for Paris or DLP?

Oh fun! What did you think of the Golden Forest rooms? I was a little hesitant to splurge but I'm hoping it will be worth it.

Any other tips for Paris or DLP?

I really liked the room, the breakfast was pretty good, and the check in area is nice. I’m happy I had the room.

Overall I loved DLP! The parks open later then WDW more like DL. Have different expectations, I was warned of bad guests, and CMs and it was minimal. But the food was not great! But the park and details are amazing, the details I can’t even explain ( didn’t get enough pics, but when you see it you’ll know exactly what i mean!)

I’m doing a TR if you want to follow along! Here

Hello everyone! I only have a few actual Disney updates but I wanted to check in because something really annoying just happened in my life and I. Need. To. Vent.

I'll start with the Disney updates since that's what most folks are here for!

For our ABD trip, we finally got our welcome package! It had a nice drawstring bag, two luggage tags, and a printed handbook with our itinerary and other useful information. I also changed our pre-days around a little because I realized that I wanted some pool time on this trip. So here's our new *rough* plan for the Saturday & Sunday before the ABD starts:

Saturday:
Drive from airport hotel up to Loews and drop bags off (I have a cool pixie dust story about this later!)
Get settled, maybe walk around Hollywood a bit
Take an Uber to Pink's Hot Dogs for lunch
Uber up to Burbank for the Warner Brother's Studio Tour
Have dinner somewhere???
Head to Griffith observatory for the sunset
Back to hotel for some sleep!

Sunday:
Sleep in (a little. It is a Disney trip after all so you can't sleep too much)
Maybe go see the La Brea Tar Pits (Jon seemed interested)
Wander around the Farmer's Market and eat way too much
Back to the hotel for pool and chill time until our ABD check in!

I also made a couple ADRs during the parks portions of the trip. We have one for Lamplight Lounge on our DCA day, then lunch at Blue Bayou when we're on our own after the ABD ends. We may have to cancel Lamplight depending on what's going on with the ABD but I wanted to have it just in case we do actually have some free time then.

I also ALSO realized that the Lion King premiere is going to be at the El Capitan on our free night in Hollywood with ABD! So I'm definitely going to see if we can drop by and see what's going on at the red carpet. I don't know if our guides will have any sway over that, but I'll definitely ask. At the very least, I hope I can say that I've glimpsed my first red carpet. And the very most, I meet Beyonce and we become best friends and I become godmother to her perfect children.

beyonce.gif

So those are my updates for the ABD!

I don't think I have anything new for France/DLP. We do have a non Disney trip coming up that I'm excited about, but that leads me into why Tuesday was one of the worst days I've had in a loooooong time.

mary poppins.gif

Buckle up, folks. Ann's about to rage.

Many of you may not know this, but I do some community musical theatre in my spare time. I love to sing and dance and perform and I usually audition every summer for a show. There are lots of great local community theatres around so there are lots of opportunities. One issue this summer is that between my ABD and a work trip that I have to take in June, I would miss significant portions of rehearsals.

Well a local group was doing a musical called 42nd Street and the rehearsal schedule was such that I would only miss four rehearsals. I figured I would go ahead and audition and if four rehearsal was too many, they just wouldn't cast me.

I filled out an audition form and listed my conflicts, then at auditions when I turned in my form they said, "Hey just know that conflicts may affect casting." Okay, cool I totally get it. We'll see what the directors say. Auditions went really well but I was still nervous because of my conflicts. So I was super excited when I got a callback!

Callbacks were interesting because I felt like I didn't quite have the tap dancing skill that they were looking for, but when the cast list came out a week later I had been cast as a featured dancer! I officially accepted the role and even talked to the director about my hair (which I recently dyed bright orange- hoorah). Then last week I sent her an email to clarify the timing around my absences and she didn't respond.

Finally on Tuesday I got an email back from the artistic director of the organization who told me essentially that I had been cast by mistake because they really couldn't allow anyone to miss more than two rehearsals.

hades what.gif

Ummmm. Excuse me?

Let me know break down everything that was wrong with that decision:
1. NO WHERE and at NO TIME did ANYONE specify that they had a hard limit of two absences. This was even noted in the email I received. However, they said they just couldn't allow it to happen and set a "dangerous precedent."
2. My conflicts were clearly indicated so it's not like a surprise that I was going to be gone. ALSO (and this part just really makes me want to throw rocks at windows) in her email she even said that not one, but TWO PEOPLE had put a note on my audition form that said "too many absences" and STILL they cast me. So all of this came from the fact that they either ignored, disregarded, or failed to notice my absences.
3. They just straight up kicked me out. They didn't even offer me a smaller role in the ensemble or something. They just said "Nope, sorry. You're out."
4. They emailed me. They didn't even have the grace to call me so I could ask questions and defend myself.
5. They. Spelled. My. Name. Wrong. I shouldn't even have to explain why this made things 1000 times worse.

Oh and did I mention that this all went down four days before rehearsals were supposed to start? And that the only reason they even realized I would be gone was because I had emailed them to clarify? So what would have happened if rehearsals had started???

tiana sassy.gif

Anyway, now I have an unexpected amount of free time over the next 6 weeks. I'm still majorly pissed off but I'm looking at the bright side. One of the things in the bright side is that now Jon & I can take a trip to Niagara Falls that we had to cancel when I got cast. So I'm currently in the midst of planning a weekend up there in mid-June, which I think will be lovely. I will also work on my hobbies, one of which is sewing some pieces to wear on the ABD.

Thank you all for letting me vent, even though none of you had a choice as I am currently typing this in a room by myself with no one around to tell me not to.

Let me end on a high note by coming back to that pixie dust story from earlier.

If you remember, I booked our pre-night directly with Loews because they were having a killer Black Friday sale and I could save like $100 over going through ABD. When I mentioned this to my TA, he said that was great but that since it wasn't through ABD we wouldn't get airport transfers. That wasn't really a big deal and I figured we could just Uber.

Well a few days ago I reached out to ABD to ask when the check in time was for the ABD since we did book our pre-night independently. Usually you just check in when your transport drops you off, I guess (and the guides know to meet you because it's all set up through ABD). Well the Vacationista gave me the check in time and was asking some clarifying questions. When she realized we were staying at the same hotel, just through an independent booking, she said that as long as we met the transport at LAX that we could still use it. The hotel for our first night is one of the airport hotels with a free shuttle, so all we have to do is hop on the shuttle in the morning and meet ABD at the terminal, and they'll give us a lift up to the hotel!

Like I said, not getting the included airport transfer wasn't a deal breaker or anything, but it was really nice of them to help me get it set up anyway- and I didn't even ask for it. They totally offered on their own! So that's going to save us like a $50 Uber, plus a little less driving through LA traffic on our own.

And with that happy update, I'll sign off. Have a great weekend everyone!

I really liked the room, the breakfast was pretty good, and the check in area is nice. I’m happy I had the room.

Overall I loved DLP! The parks open later then WDW more like DL. Have different expectations, I was warned of bad guests, and CMs and it was minimal. But the food was not great! But the park and details are amazing, the details I can’t even explain ( didn’t get enough pics, but when you see it you’ll know exactly what i mean!)

I’m doing a TR if you want to follow along! Here
Glad to hear that the room is worth it!

I've also heard all the warnings to alter expectations! I think that will be really helpful to know going into it.

I will definitely follow along on that TR- thanks for sharing!!

Ugh how super frustrating about the rehearsal!! I totally get being mad about your name being misspelled. It baffles me when people literally had to email me by typing my name but then add an H when they address me! Like that's professionalism 101!

Anyway, at least you have some amazing trips to look forward too! I can't tell you how bummed I am that DH and I will be out of town during your Niagara Falls visit! I hope the weather perks up around here and you guys have a great time! Lots of fun touristy things to do! And I mean, the falls is beautiful too :rotfl:

Ugh how super frustrating about the rehearsal!! I totally get being mad about your name being misspelled. It baffles me when people literally had to email me by typing my name but then add an H when they address me! Like that's professionalism 101!

Anyway, at least you have some amazing trips to look forward too! I can't tell you how bummed I am that DH and I will be out of town during your Niagara Falls visit! I hope the weather perks up around here and you guys have a great time! Lots of fun touristy things to do! And I mean, the falls is beautiful too :rotfl:
Yeah we’re glad we are able to go up there after all! I did a little planning today and got pretty excited :)

I also made a couple ADRs during the parks portions of the trip. We have one for Lamplight Lounge on our DCA day, then lunch at Blue Bayou when we're on our own after the ABD ends. We may have to cancel Lamplight depending on what's going on with the ABD but I wanted to have it just in case we do actually have some free time then.

I loved Blue Bayou when we went! Cant wait to hear your thoughts!!

I also ALSO realized that the Lion King premiere is going to be at the El Capitan on our free night in Hollywood with ABD! So I'm definitely going to see if we can drop by and see what's going on at the red carpet. I don't know if our guides will have any sway over that, but I'll definitely ask. At the very least, I hope I can say that I've glimpsed my first red carpet. And the very most, I meet Beyonce and we become best friends and I become godmother to her perfect children

:love: Make sure to invite me to all the parties ok?

Finally on Tuesday I got an email back from the artistic director of the organization who told me essentially that I had been cast by mistake because they really couldn't allow anyone to miss more than two rehearsals.

YEAH NO! UGH this is horrible and not how you run a production! Do you research up front, it was noted, do not give the role, absolutely horrible. I am so sorry to hear you were treated this way!

If you remember, I booked our pre-night directly with Loews because they were having a killer Black Friday sale and I could save like $100 over going through ABD. When I mentioned this to my TA, he said that was great but that since it wasn't through ABD we wouldn't get airport transfers. That wasn't really a big deal and I figured we could just Uber.

Well a few days ago I reached out to ABD to ask when the check in time was for the ABD since we did book our pre-night independently. Usually you just check in when your transport drops you off, I guess (and the guides know to meet you because it's all set up through ABD). Well the Vacationista gave me the check in time and was asking some clarifying questions. When she realized we were staying at the same hotel, just through an independent booking, she said that as long as we met the transport at LAX that we could still use it. The hotel for our first night is one of the airport hotels with a free shuttle, so all we have to do is hop on the shuttle in the morning and meet ABD at the terminal, and they'll give us a lift up to the hotel!

Like I said, not getting the included airport transfer wasn't a deal breaker or anything, but it was really nice of them to help me get it set up anyway- and I didn't even ask for it. They totally offered on their own! So that's going to save us like a $50 Uber, plus a little less driving through LA traffic on our own.

And with that happy update, I'll sign off. Have a great weekend everyone!

YAHOOO for some nice news!

I am really looking forward to hearing how ABD is, my kids are to young right now but it is totally on our list for the future!

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm not at all familiar with LA-area beaches so any tips are appreciated :) We know that we definitely want to rent roller blades and do that near a beach at some point if you know anywhere that's good for that. We were thinking Santa Monica/Ve
Venice could work. It can get a lot of people, but the Boardwalk is pretty wide, so as long as you aren’t a speed demon, you can get around them safely.
And the very most, I meet Beyonce and we become best friends and I become godmother to her perfect children.
Hahaha! Good luck!
Finally on Tuesday I got an email back from the artistic director of the organization who told me essentially that I had been cast by mistake because they really couldn't allow anyone to miss more than two rehearsals
That totally sucks and they didn’t go about it the right way at all!

Make sure to invite me to all the parties ok?
You are first on my list for a plus one!

I am so sorry to hear you were treated this way!
I’m slowly getting less mad, but every so often I remember it and just seethe with rage for a bit.

I am really looking forward to hearing how ABD is, my kids are to young right now but it is totally on our list for the future!
I’ll be sure to come back with a TR!

So sorry…I completely lost track of this! Your plans sound amazing! I'll have to follow closely for your Paris trip since my DD and I are considering going in 2021. If you don't mind sharing, where are you staying (besides the DLP hotel)?

I also ALSO realized that the Lion King premiere is going to be at the El Capitan on our free night in Hollywood with ABD! So I'm definitely going to see if we can drop by and see what's going on at the red carpet. I don't know if our guides will have any sway over that, but I'll definitely ask. At the very least, I hope I can say that I've glimpsed my first red carpet. And the very most, I meet Beyonce and we become best friends and I become godmother to her perfect children.
That sounds like so much fun! I think she'd be crazy not to be your BFF :thumbsup2

Yikes. That is horrible and just a mean way to go about it. I bet you're kicking yourself for saying anything, but who knew they would do that? You were just trying to be responsible and do the right thing and got booted for it. That really stinks, and I'm so sorry.

So sorry…I completely lost track of this! Your plans sound amazing! I'll have to follow closely for your Paris trip since my DD and I are considering going in 2021. If you don't mind sharing, where are you staying (besides the DLP hotel)?
We are so excited!

For sure I'll share. In Paris we are staying in a hotel right on the line between the Latin Quarter and Saint-Germain-des-Pres. Then in Provence we got a really cute Air BnB that's the top level of a farm house outside of a village, and in the Riviera we are staying in Hyeres! If you want the specific hotels/towns, I can send you a PM with the details :D

That sounds like so much fun! I think she'd be crazy not to be your BFF
I just need her to be crazy in love with me 😝

That really stinks, and I'm so sorry.
There was one more kick in the pants where they didn't take me off the email list so I still got the email that said "Hey remember rehearsals start tomorrow!" But other than that, I'm slowly getting over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter