Better age for a first time trip--3 or 5?

My daughter is four and had no desire to do bibbidi bobbidi bourique. She HATES getting her hair combed and is a little shy. I'm hoping when we go again when she's 7 or 8 that she will want it done.

My daughter does ballet and constantly has her hair up in a tight bun for it. I was surprised when she picked the braided hairstyle because it doesn’t come with a crown like the updo does. She explained to me that she doesn’t love getting her hair put into a bun because it hurts so braid it was! She said it didn’t hurt her and she left the hairstyle in all day. So success!

Agree you will get a million answers. We chose to go for the first time when #1 was almost 3 and #2 was 1. #1 is a girl and about died over all the princess. We have gone since 1-2x/year, and now we have 4 kids, 7, 5, 3, and 1. I personally think age 3 is most fun for me to take...#3 for us turned 3 right after we went in November, was 40" and loved GOTG and RSR and is cars obsessed. Still talks about disneyland every day and it's 5 months later.

Personally I feel that the older the better. However, I have been a stay at home mom since my kids were born and in those little years sometimes I desperately needed something to look forward to, a break from the everyday drudgery of life because it got so tiring sometimes... I don't know if this is your wife or not, but if I had the option of going to Disneyland often and knew we were going to be having more trips than a "once in a lifetime" I would go when your DD is 3 and enjoy the trip sooner rather than later. It sounds like your wife is needing a break IMO. I'd keep that in mind too. Sometimes it's not about what makes the most sense, but it's about seizing the opportunity and enjoying life in the moment.

I waited until my kids were 5 before they got to have their first trip and don’t regret it.

As someone who’s own first trip was when I was four years old, I can say that I remember nothing from it, but I do have a couple memories from the next one when I was 6.

Waiting until age 5 also gave me the opportunity to make my kid’s first trips something more special than usual. I took them on their actual birthday and treated it like a rite of passage moment. You are now a big kid and get to go to Disneyland.

Looking back on that choice, I wouldn’t change a thing. My kids have memories from those first trips which is an experience I get to share with them.

Personally I feel that the older the better. However, I have been a stay at home mom since my kids were born and in those little years sometimes I desperately needed something to look forward to, a break from the everyday drudgery of life because it got so tiring sometimes...

I know this isn’t possible (or necessarily desirable) with every family, but a few of the trips I’ve made over the years have been without my kids. Don’t get me wrong, I love them dearly and greatly enjoy the trips we’ve made as a family, but having an adults only getaway to Disneyland once in a while opens you up to dates and seasons that aren’t easy to hit with school schedules, plus it is a very different experience that I’ve found recharges me and reminds me that it’s ok to do something for myself once in a while too.

No height restrictions.
No nap times to plan around.
No meltdowns (depending on who you’re there with of course. Lol)
No curfews
No having to say that the margarita you’re having in DCA is a “slurpie”
Airfare and park admission for one or two is so much cheaper than it is with everyone in the family coming. Especially if you’re just looking at a weekend getaway.

Again, I love the trips I’ve made with my kids and wouldn’t change anything about them, but I also love the adults only trips too and if you can swing it, I recommend it.

If you were the type that would only take your kids once or twice, then I would say wait until 5 so they are bigger and can ride more. HOWEVER since you go annually I say take her now. They really do love it at three and they are old enough to live in the moment and enjoy it.

We got APs the summer after each kid turned one. Our oldest went the day after she turned 1 and several times throughout the year. We have so many great memories. And she loves to see the pictures from the trips. We also took her and our second born on a 4 day trip right before she turned three; he was a newborn. We didn't go for him, we went for our daughter and us and he just came along for the ride. Our youngest is a fall baby, so she was 1.5 her first trip. They have all enjoyed the parks over the years.

We told the kids our next trip will be sometime after youngest turns four. This is because having kids at varying sizes and needing to swap is sometimes less than magical. However at 3.5 she is 42", so we might go slightly before she turns 4 as our main reason for our next trip is to go on those rides as a family of 5 for the first time. Because she got to go over the AP year she is familiar with the parks and knows she missed rides. She keeps asking about going back and riding Splash with her big siblings.

3, Three was our sweet spot - everything was magical and “real” People would say why take them when THEY cannot remember it.... grrrr.... WE PARENTS CAN REMEMBER IT!! Why is that even a factor or measurement? They don’t remember their first birthdays but we still go over the top to celebrate it. And with the plethora of pictures and video available at our fingertips today you can share and relive it with your child after the trip which we always do. Navy Blue Photopass Disney Scrapbooks became bedtime storybooks to walk down disney memory lane. My DS14 and DD12 still pull them out occasionally!

Heck, I barely recall my only youth trip to Disneyland and I was freaking 14!! So I dont think that is any reason to wait.

sidebar but related: when my daughter was 4 I was shopping at target in downtown Minneapolis which has many buyers and corporate people in the store often since it’s their HQ. I was looking at Princess barbie dolls including the large six doll box that they often sell of Disney princess barbies. A buyer asked me if I was going to get the set for someone and I said “no, my daughter is only 4, too young for barbies, I prefer the doll style” and then she smiled at me and said, “oh, this is exactly the time to get them, by the time she’s halfway through kindergarten she will not be as into princesses. she will move onto other types of barbies” I just smiled and said thank you, knowing she was wrong... but she wasnt.... I just did not know that at the time. She grew out of princesses in many ways by 5 despite my encouragement and our family disney focus. She still enjoyed the princesses in WDW, but they were no longer “real” which made the trip with her at 5 so very different than the trip at 3.

Nothing tops my husband and my fond memories of our kids very magical trips at 3 years old. And we have had many wonderful trips with them. Cinderella was Sydnerella’s favorite and she jumped up and down - so beside herself to meet her princess hero and Rosetta was her twin friend in the same rose petal outfit! Pooh, Darby and Tigger were my sons TV buds come to life - but where was Buster the dog?!? MAGICAL

THIS!!!!! Same as my post above, we are soul sisters!

Every age is amazing, but I took both my kids on their first trip when they were 3. I found it to be an amazing age to take them. They really believed all the magic. And while they might not remember, (for some reason this seems to be a big deal for some people. Heck, I don't remember some DL trips I went on as a tween) you will remember the way they look at the characters and really everything with such a look of pure joy on their face! It was so magical! Of course you can't go open to close with either age, so just pay attention to your kiddos mood, and when they've had enough, take a break. I took them both back at 5, and while it was still a great trip, as has been every other trip we've taken since, they didn't believe in everything anymore.

Hey everyone! Was hoping you could offer some opinions on a bit of a debate my wife and I have been having. We both love Disneyland and have gone every year for the past decade just as a couple or sometimes with friends. We now have two little girls, ages 2 and 6 months, and we are wondering when to take our eldest for the first time. My wife would like to take her at 3, but I would like to wait until she's 5.

We both have our arguments for the different ages, but what do you see as the pros and cons of these ages as being? We would be flying in from out of state too.

I'm just worried about a 3 year old's tolerance level for the more unsavory aspects of Disneyland (heat, lines, crowds, etc.).

We both really want that first trip to be special and are fine waiting if it means we have a better chance of having a really fun trip with our daughter, but also don't want to miss out on something special if a three year old would have a magical time.

Anyway, go for it...just give us your thoughts--the good the bad and the ugly! :-)
At least 5. We brought our DD at 6. It was magical for her throughout her childhood in different ways during every stage. She definitely got overtired and tolerated various challenges much better as a 6 year old than she would have as a 3 year old.

From infancy and toddlerhood until she was school-aged, we stayed in beach cottages on vacation. It was easier for us to keep her on schedule for meals, naps, and bedtime being in a cottage on the beach. Keeping her in her routine made her very happy, and we all had fun. When she cried, we didn’t disturb anyone else on vacation.

I’m sure that you will do what works best for your family.

We do Disney differently than others because we are local pass holders. Both DH and I also grew up nearby.
I would have voted before 3 cause they are free. :) That would be my only rule if you can plan that. Agree with the above mention on what kind of trip is this for YOU. Once in a Lifetime?

It will always be magical and memorable. My young kids have gone plenty of times and are still excited. I actually like the early years because we don't have a need to go on the big rides and can just enjoy the Disney atmosphere. When they are older, taller... they can go on the big rides that require long lines / fast passes... Again, I speak from someone that doesn't care that I go on all the rides. I don't like overly planned days. And we just go with the flow.

My vote is whatever is more convenient for you and your wife. I will say that a Disney vacation is far easier for any parent versus other vacations. We do lots of non-Disney vacations but I feel like I have to plan and research more. Like finding kid friendly restaurants/hotels/activities.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies! I think you may have convinced me of two things. One, I am right about 5 being a really good age to take kids to Disneyland. And two, my wife is right about 3 being a really good age to take kids to Disneyland. Sounds like we will shoot for both ages and adjust our expectations accordingly. Thanks again!

I think it totally depends on your kid and their personality. We had so much fun with our middle daughter at 2.5! My youngest has been much more difficult on trips at both 2 and 4. But she is more difficult in every day life too. Don’t forget character meals are free for under 3 too.

I don’t really think either age is better for a “first” trip. If it were an “only” trip there are various opinions to be had on what age they’ll be able to remember best, what they’re tall enough to ride & all of that. But, “first” trip implies future trips to come, in which case, why wait? Every age brings a different set of magical experiences & wonder, or excitement that they’re finally tall enough for something that they weren’t before. And even if your child doesn’t remember each trip, you will. If you’re waiting for the perfect age, then I think the answer is every age!

I'm with @wdwfan22 @Sydnerella and @Insaneinthemombrain : *Your* joy and pleasure count, too, and you will remember your preschooler's reactions. Also, unlike when I was a child, your trip today will have a million photos and videos taken by you on your phone to show the kids later. My Disney trips are not done until I've made my big photobook AND I've even made some special small photobooks for individual kids to remember the particulars of their personal trip, like meeting a special character, first time on Dumbo, etc. The kids love looking at their books and seeing those magical moments, whether they recall actually being there or not.
My dad always says wait until all parties are fully potty-trained and "old enough to remember," but especially for kids in larger families, eldest children shouldn't have to wait until they're Disney adults to go for the first time just because they're waiting for their younger siblings to be old enough. So I have done first trips with kids who 2.5 (free! Everything is real!), 2.9 (free! and tall enough for a goodly number of rides!), 5.0 (things were still pretty magical: Dressed as Peter Pan, he did ask Tinker Bell "Are you real?" but accepted her "Yes!" and counter-snark of "Are you?"), and 7.9 (Cars Land was a hit, as was Splash and...the princess dinner at Ariel's Grotto, shockingly, getting lots of attention in his Beast costume).

TL;DR: I love taking kids just under 3yo, because they're free and all the magic is real to them. Once they are past 36 months, I wouldn't go until at least 40" (which some are at 36 months, but you might have to wait another 6 months or so for others), because if you're paying, pay for someone who can go on a lot of rides.

Took my boys on their first Disney trip when they were 3 and 5. They both had so much fun. I don't think you can go wrong with either age, especially if you know you'll be back there again anyway.

For us, 3 and younger. I took my niece at 3, and the look on her face when she realized princesses were "real" and not just cartoons made it so worth it. (I had already been taking my kids since they were 6 mos.) When we took my grandson at 2, and he got to meet his idol, Captain America in person, it made it worth everything to me. It's not just about rides.

58570746_10219134911027209_6454308111753674752_o.jpg

Last edited:
I think 5 is a much better age. And I think it is more fair to the child as well. I've seen my fair share of toddler melt downs. My granddaughter went last year (3 at the time), and honestly, she really could have cared less about most of it. We only did one park, and only for half a day. The rest of the time was the pool and playing on the balcony at AKL.

Last edited:
3, Three was our sweet spot - everything was magical and “real” People would say why take them when THEY cannot remember it.... grrrr.... WE PARENTS CAN REMEMBER IT!! Why is that even a factor or measurement? They don’t remember their first birthdays but we still go over the top to celebrate it. And with the plethora of pictures and video available at our fingertips today you can share and relive it with your child after the trip which we always do. Navy Blue Photopass Disney Scrapbooks became bedtime storybooks to walk down disney memory lane. My DS14 and DD12 still pull them out occasionally!

Heck, I barely recall my only youth trip to Disneyland and I was freaking 14!! So I dont think that is any reason to wait.

sidebar but related: when my daughter was 4 I was shopping at target in downtown Minneapolis which has many buyers and corporate people in the store often since it’s their HQ. I was looking at Princess barbie dolls including the large six doll box that they often sell of Disney princess barbies. A buyer asked me if I was going to get the set for someone and I said “no, my daughter is only 4, too young for barbies, I prefer the doll style” and then she smiled at me and said, “oh, this is exactly the time to get them, by the time she’s halfway through kindergarten she will not be as into princesses. she will move onto other types of barbies” I just smiled and said thank you, knowing she was wrong... but she wasnt.... I just did not know that at the time. She grew out of princesses in many ways by 5 despite my encouragement and our family disney focus. She still enjoyed the princesses in WDW, but they were no longer “real” which made the trip with her at 5 so very different than the trip at 3.

Nothing tops my husband and my fond memories of our kids very magical trips at 3 years old. And we have had many wonderful trips with them. Cinderella was Sydnerella’s favorite and she jumped up and down - so beside herself to meet her princess hero and Rosetta was her twin friend in the same rose petal outfit! Pooh, Darby and Tigger were my sons TV buds come to life - but where was Buster the dog?!? MAGICAL

I generally agree with you. I took my oldest the week he turned 3 to WDW and when he was 4 to DLR, 5 to WDW, 9 WDW, 10 WDW
My twins went to WDW at almost 3 and almost 4

I do think the "if they remember it" is important for a family that is only going to go once or twice during the kids childhood, though.
I also think there are different problems for under 5...you have strollers, diapers/potty training, height restricted rides, difficulty sitting still for the makeovers (I had people tell me to lie about my daughters age at 2 years, 9 months to get the makeover BUT I am so glad I waited until she was 5), difficulty waiting in line, etc.

I think 5 is a much better age. And I think it is more fair to the child as well. I've seen my fair share of toddler melt downs. My granddaughter went last year (3 at the time), and honestly, she really could have cared less about most of it. We only did one park, and only for half a day. The rest of the time was the pool and playing on the balcony at AKL.
Here's the thing, I agree with you for WDW. We took my grandson when he was 2, adn I really wish my son had allowed him to stay home.

HOWEVER, I feel differently about Disneyland. We started taking my grandson at 6 mos, and it is vastly different. I can't imagine NOT having taken him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!