Better late than never? A hazy 6 week TR Oct/Nov 2016 - Updated 11/5 Wrap Up

I’m not going to share much about the next 3.5 days of the trip. One I didn’t take many photos and two it was mostly just spending time with my now DH rather than sightseeing so it’s not really interesting either.
And this is perfectly all right.
You needed (and should!) take the time to focus on your soon to be DH rather than taking notes and not really being present.
This is Ponce City Market in Atlanta which is an indoor market and rooftop games location. We played mini golf and watched the sunset from here.
Huh! I've never seen a rooftop mini-golf.
Here are some boiled peanuts which are honestly disgusting – I’m sorry southerners but these are just slimy and nasty!
Thanks for the warning! :laughing:
But... is this the real reason you left the south and moved north?
I spent a nice few days with DH and it made it even harder to leave.
Awwww...
He dropped me off at the airport and I flew back to LA and I spent the whole five-hour flight in tears because I thought I’d never see him again.
Oh, you poor thing! :hug:
I took an uber back to my hotel near Universal and spent a few hours crying in my room before my brother who lives in LA picked me up to take me out to dinner.
:(

:hug:
It was nice catching up with my brother as we only get to see each other every few years now.
Did he notice you'd been crying... or were crying?
I warn you now, here is where the TR falls apart. Why? Because I was just depressed and thought I’d never see DH again and I basically couldn’t enjoy myself.
That's okay. We get it. :)

I rode their version of HP (our Hogwarts is better)
It is? I thought they were the same on both coasts??
and then did the backlot tour (I love this to death!)
::yes:: Me too! That was fun!
I headed down to the lower lot and rode my favorite ride and I am beyond sad they changed it – Jurassic Park (RIP). I hate Jurassic World and wish they would have just left it alone.
Oh! That's right, I heard of that. How different is it?

Thanks for the warning! :laughing:
But... is this the real reason you left the south and moved north?

It might of been on the list of pros/cons...

Did he notice you'd been crying... or were crying?

I don't remember if he noticed but I told him anyway - sort of like if I'm not in a good mood here's why

It is? I thought they were the same on both coasts??

They are very similar - I think the Hollywood one is a touch smaller and I just didn't get the same true immersive feeling as the one in Orlando.

Oh! That's right, I heard of that. How different is it?

It was still the old version when I was there. I believe the new one is heavy on using screens in the indoor portion. The old one had the coolest feature where the jeep fell over the side of the wall as the boat when past and I believe that is out and it makes me so sad.

Part 49 – Saying Goodbye

The next morning was my last one in the states – I was flying out at 10:30pm that night.

I spent a few hours in the park that morning and did another backlot tour (because I mean of course I had to).

I had lunch at Krusty Burger.

And then it was time to go back to the hotel.

I sat for a while waiting until it was time to go to the airport. While sitting there and thinking of ways I could see DH again I applied for a Canadian work visa. I had been thinking about it anyway before I met him, but it made even more sense now as I would be more likely to be able to visit him.

I ate some French fries for dinner and then got in an uber to head back to LAX.

I checked in and thankfully because I was flying business class, I had access to the lounge before my flight.

We boarded at 10:00pm and by 10:30 I was on my way back to Australia.

It was an uneventful flight. I still love business for the bed aspect (who wouldn’t) and that helped the time go by.

I had a fried chicken sandwich for dinner.

And a continental breakfast before touching down in Sydney.

Originally, I had a 7-hour delay between my international flight and my domestic one. I had business class access, so I was just going to wait in the lounge.

But honestly, I was too tired and upset to wait so I gave up that flight and got myself a seat on a bus leaving within the hour.

It was a three-hour bus ride and then a 30-minute taxi home, but I still made it back with a few hours to spare than the flight would have taken.

And that was it I was home.

I’d had a great trip, but I was emotionally done. It’s really hard to meet someone who you think could be it and then have to leave them and not know what the future would bring.

I must say that probably changed my trip and how I felt about everything. I tried to enjoy everything I did but sometimes I didn’t care, and I would have rather spent the time being with him (gee thanks DH :rolleyes:)

Next up – The wrap up

Last edited:
Part 50 – The Wrap Up

So that was my 6-week mega 30th birthday trip. As I mentioned it was changed by meeting my now DH, but I still have some favorites and least favorites to share.

Here are the things, well, added extras, I would do again:
Dining with an Imagineer
Dining with an Animal Expert
MNSSHP
Memory Maker

And not worth the money:
Classes during F&W
MVMCP (even though I’m going again in a few days)

Things worth the splurge also included renting DVC points and staying in Deluxe resorts. Although the theming at AKL is my favorite, I would have to say Beach Club or Wilderness Lodge would win a contest just due to their proximity and transportation options to the parks.

Would I go on a cruise again? Yes – they are a good way to explore a whole bunch of different ports/cities without having to work out travel between them, and I ended up not having to worry about sea sickness which was my main concern.

If you have any questions about anything I did or experienced I’m happy to answer them.

And the last part I need to explain is how I got to where I am now. My DH and I decided to give long distance a try.

It. Is. Really. Hard.

I came over and visited him after he moved to Denver in March 2017. We decided we didn’t want to be apart and he proposed.

We went through the fun visa process and in November 2017 I was approved. I packed up my whole life in Australia – quit my job, sold my house and all my belongings and shipped a few things over to Denver (I managed to condense my entire life into two suitcases and 8 small shipping boxes).

I spent a few days saying goodbye to family and friends and on Dec 17, 2017 I moved to the states.

I’ve been here ever since – I got my first green card in June 2018 and I’ll be here for a while now (assuming my renewal goes well in June 2020 – fingers crossed).

We’ve bought a house and I now work for the Colorado State Government. And that’s pretty much where I am now. And ready to use some vacation days to finally head back to Disney!

I hope you enjoyed this TR even if it was three years late and a little sparse towards the end! I promise the next one will be prompt and start a few days after I get back (my trip dates are 11/6-11/12).

See ya reel soon folks!

That was a great trip report! Reading it (at work lol) really cheered me up. Thanks for taking the time to get it all written out. And if you ever get bored, I'm just 8 hours south of you in Texas. Come on down and I'll treat you to REAL barbecue! :rotfl2:

It might of been on the list of pros/cons...
:laughing:
I don't remember if he noticed but I told him anyway - sort of like if I'm not in a good mood here's why
But I'm glad it all worked out. :)
They are very similar - I think the Hollywood one is a touch smaller and I just didn't get the same true immersive feeling as the one in Orlando.
Huh. Okay, had no idea.
It was still the old version when I was there. I believe the new one is heavy on using screens in the indoor portion. The old one had the coolest feature where the jeep fell over the side of the wall as the boat when past and I believe that is out and it makes me so sad.
Hmmm... I don't remember that.
The next morning was my last one in the states – I was flying out at 10:30pm that night.
Made extra hard because you were leaving your guy behind...
and did another backlot tour (because I mean of course I had to).
Of course!
I had lunch at Krusty Burger.
We did that too. I thought it wasn't bad for a theme park burger.
While sitting there and thinking of ways I could see DH again I applied for a Canadian work visa. I had been thinking about it anyway before I met him, but it made even more sense now as I would be more likely to be able to visit him.
Interesting that you applied for a Canadian visa and not US. I presume it's because we're both Commonwealth countries that the application would be much simpler/easier? And for proximity?
I ate some French fries for dinner
Ah! So now I know what marathon runners eat for dinner.
I checked in and thankfully because I was flying business class, I had access to the lounge before my flight.
Nice. :)
I still love business for the bed aspect (who wouldn’t) and that helped the time go by.
I'd love to have that for a pond jump. Haven't yet... but I can still dream. :)
It was a three-hour bus ride and then a 30-minute taxi home, but I still made it back with a few hours to spare than the flight would have taken.
Really! Wow. That's interesting. I know there's a debate about flying vs driving and what the cut-off time is to make one more efficient than the other... but a 3.5 hour journey being faster than a flight... !!
And that was it I was home.
Welcome home?
I’d had a great trip, but I was emotionally done. It’s really hard to meet someone who you think could be it and then have to leave them and not know what the future would bring.
I tried to enjoy everything I did but sometimes I didn’t care, and I would have rather spent the time being with him (gee thanks DH :rolleyes:)
Wow. What a jerk! And you married this killjoy???

:laughing:
MVMCP (even though I’m going again in a few days)
Interesting... I think I'd have the exact same reaction.
MVMCP? Not worth it. Go again? Sure.
My DH and I decided to give long distance a try.

It. Is. Really. Hard.
I have heard that most long distance relationships don't work out. Glad it did for you. (And became an in person relationship.)
I came over and visited him after he moved to Denver in March 2017. We decided we didn’t want to be apart and he proposed.
Awwww!!! :love:
We went through the fun visa process
I've heard of the process... ugh...
I packed up my whole life in Australia – quit my job, sold my house and all my belongings and shipped a few things over to Denver (I managed to condense my entire life into two suitcases and 8 small shipping boxes).
Wow. That's... really intense!
I got my first green card in June 2018 and I’ll be here for a while now (assuming my renewal goes well in June 2020 – fingers crossed).
Oh! So no citizenship then. And... you have to renew???? Even though you're married???
We’ve bought a house
I knew, of course, but... congrats! :)
and I now work for the Colorado State Government.
Nice!
I hope you enjoyed this TR
::yes::
Very much! Thanks so much for sharing your travels and travails with us!
(my trip dates are 11/6-11/12).
Oh, crap! That's today! Have a great trip!!!!!!

@pkondz I'll respond to your comments later but wanted to let you know I've caught your bad luck so far this trip. First my last meeting of the day ran over, then I hit peak hour traffic, an unexpected fog and rain storm hit, they closed the main parking lot and I had to drive round in the dark to the not well signposted second lot, my flight has already been delayed an hour and I'm not even at the terminal yet! I really need to buy the extended VIP package so I avoid this in the future!

@pkondz I'll respond to your comments later but wanted to let you know I've caught your bad luck so far this trip. First my last meeting of the day ran over, then I hit peak hour traffic, an unexpected fog and rain storm hit, they closed the main parking lot and I had to drive round in the dark to the not well signposted second lot, my flight has already been delayed an hour and I'm not even at the terminal yet! I really need to buy the extended VIP package so I avoid this in the future!
Oh, no!
I hope things have taken a turn for the better since you posted that.
I just looked at the DEN METAR and you're visibility is up to 2 miles with a 600' ceiling, so no issues there. Freezing drizzle, though, so everything is slowed down for de-icing I'm sure.
Good luck!!!!

Oh, no!
I hope things have taken a turn for the better since you posted that.
I just looked at the DEN METAR and you're visibility is up to 2 miles with a 600' ceiling, so no issues there. Freezing drizzle, though, so everything is slowed down for de-icing I'm sure.
Good luck!!!!

Not quite better but it is 2:30am and I'm finally in a Lyft on the way to the hotel so sleep is almost in sight!

I was one of those who'd read some of your PTR, and it's been interesting even three years later, to read how your trip turned out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter