Better late than never? A hazy 6 week TR Oct/Nov 2016 - Updated 11/5 Wrap Up

Part 20 – How to ensure a good night’s sleep at Disney

After leaving the park I headed towards the monorail. My plans for the afternoon/evening? The first of my alcoholic based adventures – the monorail crawl!

Now don’t ask me how this happened but when I look back at my photos, I appear to have gone around the resort loop backwards. I have no idea what happened but from time stamps I did it that way.

The goal was to have one drink at each of the three resorts on the monorail loop and for good measure a drink at the wilderness lodge to tick off all of seven seas lagoon.

My first stop was Mizner’s lounge at the Grand Floridian. I had the Grand Cosmopolitan – Purity Vodka, Grand Marnier 100, and Cranberry Juice - $12.75

It was my first time at any of the monorail resorts so after my drink I explored the stores like Basin and took obligatory photos of the lobby before heading back out to the monorail.

My next stop was the Polynesian and I had a deadline as I wanted to be in line for Trader Sam’s before it opened. However, there was time for a stop for something I’d be wanting to try ever since I first saw it.

So instead of heading down to Trader Sam’s I made my way up to the Tambu Lounge instead. I sat at the bar and ordered this beauty – the Lapu Lapu - Myers’s Original Dark Rum and Tropical Fruit Juices served in a fresh Pineapple topped with Goslings 151 Rum.

After enjoying it thoroughly I still had a little time, so I explored the gift shop downstairs and then headed down the hallway to Sam’s.

I’d gotten there early enough so I was like fourth or fifth in line and knew I’d be in straight away. I spotted a Dis cast member while waiting – Steve and his then fiancé Mikayla.

Soon enough I was in and seated at the bar. I ordered some snacks (I still had a few stops to go and needed to soak up some of the booze!) – I had the Chicken Banh Mi sliders (definitely) and I think the other thing I got was the pork tacos.

But that was not why I was there. I collect tiki mugs and needed to add some to my collection (paying far too much for the pleasure).

I started with the HippopotoMai-Tai (how cute is he) which is Coruba Dark Rum, Bacardi Superior Rum, Bols Orange Curaçao, Orgeat (Almond), Organic Agave Nectar, and fresh Lime Juice.

And then I had the Krakatoa Punch - Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Pyrat XO Reserve Rum, Orgeat (Almond), Sam’s Gorilla Grog, and Hibiscus Grenadine.

I paid my bill (which if I’m remembering correctly was around $80 for the two drinks with glasses, two snacks and tip).

The food definitely helped but I was starting to feel a little bit friendly.

Continued

Continued

After the Poly it was onto the Contemporary. I stopped for my snack first as this was one, I’d been waiting to try as well. I headed up to the Contempo Café and got my peanut butter pie. It was good but probably a little sweeter than I was hoping and there was no way I could finish the whole thing.

I then made my way upstairs to California Grill. I got a seat at the bar and placed my order – the Santa Monica Cider – Strawberry Lime Cider, Hendriks Gin with Agave Nectar, Lime Juice and Micro Basil ($11.50).

I then left the Contemporary and walked back to MK to catch a boat back to Wilderness Lodge.

Once back I made my way to my last stop – the Territory Lounge. And I order my last drink of the day – the Raspberry Mojito - Bacardi Raspberry Rum, Lime Juice, Mint, and Raspberry Puree topped with Soda Water. I also have a picture of bread and butter so I clearly ordered something with that but my memory was fading by that point and now three years in the future, so I have no idea what it was!

And that was it for my monorail/resort crawl. I believe after tax and tips it ended up costing my close to $200 to do it but that included 6 drinks (with 12 different types of alcohol), two souvenir cups, and four food items. I don’t recommend for everyone, but it was definitely a fun afternoon and if you have no park tickets for the day it is a good way to explore all the monorail resorts.

I stumbled back to my room (it was 7pm by this point) and watched some tv and tested out my costume for MNSSHP for the next night before heading to bed – I had another early morning coming my way.

Next up – A little bit of Hollywood

Last edited:
There is a boat line that runs between WL, Ft. Wilderness, and the Contemporary. No need to transfer at MK. Or maybe you just felt like walking over there.

There is a boat line that runs between WL, Ft. Wilderness, and the Contemporary. No need to transfer at MK. Or maybe you just felt like walking over there.

Yeah, she was probably floating herself. pirate: Been there, done that and I just drink different beers. The Lapu Lapu itself makes my wife a tipsy duck.

Honestly I was probably a little tipsy at that point - I either walked because I forgot or I took the boat from the contemporary and just dont remember! :rotfl:

Yeah, she was probably floating herself. pirate: Been there, done that and I just drink different beers. The Lapu Lapu itself makes my wife a tipsy duck.

I'm going to guess you're correct. I do remember being a little bit tipsy by that point so I either forgot there was a direct boat or I took it and just don't remember :lmao:

Part 21 – A little bit of Hollywood

Thankfully after my big afternoon I woke up feeling refreshed and not hungover (being 32 now I don’t think that would be the case and I’d be miserable after two drinks!). I got dressed and ready and then headed out to my park for the morning – Hollywood Studios.

It was Halloween and the bus had been decorated by the CM and it was just so much fun!

I had no FPs booked as I had them all for later in the day at MK, but I managed to ride both the GMR (rest in peace), TOT & TSMM.

I also explored the Star Wars Launch Bay and met another friendly Jawa.

And one of my favourite meets ever with the big guy.

I stopped for a snack – the infamous Butterfinger cupcake. This was so disappointing – it was basically an ice-cream scoop of white frosting on top of a basic cupcake – the only good part was the Butterfinger pieces.

And with that disappointment it was time to head back to WL. I spent an hour or so by the pool relaxing (which when I have a short trip, I never feel comfortable doing but boy is it a good way to break up the day).

I headed back inside for my late lunch ADR. I had a booking at Whispering Canyon Café.

I checked in and was seated relatively quickly. I had the pulled pork sandwich with sweet potato fries.

Now I was a little disappointed as I didn’t really get any of the shenanigans I was expecting. I’m not sure if it was because I was dining solo, but I left really underwhelmed with the interactions.

After my late lunch I headed back to my room to get ready for the evening – it was time for another first – MNSSHP.

Next up – Small World and Candy

Last edited:
Apologies for rushing through and posting multiple updates per day - I want to get this TR out of the way before my next trip and I leave in less than 3 weeks and I still have 3 weeks of this trip left to write up!

Apologies for rushing through and posting multiple updates per day - I want to get this TR out of the way before my next trip and I leave in less than 3 weeks and I still have 3 weeks of this trip left to write up!
No apologies needed. Keep em coming fast and furious. :tigger:

Part 22 – Small World and Candy

I changed into my costume – it’s Disney related I promise – and made my way over to the park. You can enter MK at 4pm on a party ticket even though it doesn’t start until 7 and you can also book fast passes between those times as well which is what I’d done.

I headed over to my first FP – Buzz and maxed out my score!!!!

I then headed over to Frontierland for my other two FPs – my favorite mountain – BTMRR, and Splash.

I stopped in Main Street/the Hub to get lots of photos in front of the castle in my costume.

And then it was time to head back over to Storybook Circus to get in line for the one meet and greet I was dying to do – the Seven Dwarves.

I think I got in line around 6pm and they came out just after 7 and I saw them by around 7:20 – so it’s still a 90 or so minute commitment even at the start of the party.

I then spent the rest of the evening getting as much free candy as I could – I think I hit each station at least twice.

I stopped to watch the early firework show.

I staked out a spot in Frontierland to watch the parade – and the grave diggers were the highlight!

While in Frontierland I also managed to ride SM solo.

I had planned to watch the last showing of Hocus Pocus, but they ended up cancelling it, so I never got to see it in person.

I got in one last right before leaving – another Splash Mountain with no wait and I managed to ride completely alone which was so odd!

I’m sure I did more that night as well but that’s where my memory is fading me.

Towards midnight I started making my way out of the park and back to the boat dock. I caught the boat back to WL and headed back to my room.

I took stock of my candy haul (11lbs for those of you playing at home) and also organized it like the organized person I am.

And then it was time for bed – I had another early morning coming up.

Oh, and if you didn’t guess – I’m one of the dolls from It’s a Small World :rotfl:

Next up – Tour time!

I am loving your trip report! Thank you for writing it! It's keeping me going until we leave ourselves for our next trip 3 weeks from today!

It's a shame it didn't come back. The meet & greets were great but maybe the $129+ price tag put people off and they didn't sell as much as they'd hoped.

Yeah, I had heard they were thinking of bringing it back outside the parks, but then that never happened either. I think it could've partially been that, it had been going on for awhile by the time we went, and I wonder if the appeal had mostly been because people thought it was limited time. It wasn't really the kind of thing I could see people doing more than once, but I would've gone again to show it to someone who'd never been there before. I thought the food was really good too.

I had no FPs booked as I had them all for later in the day at MK, but I managed to ride both the GMR (rest in peace)

I miss GMR too :sad:

I like that shot!
Club Villain. Now this was a pricey event, not only did you need park admission, but the event was $129 a person!
Interesting. I don't know if I'd spend that much on a two hour event...
Cool decorations, though.
cocktails were included in the price
I should hope so!!
First up on my schedule was Cruella De Ville. She was great although it appears as though she might have had a little bit too much to drink!
Cocktails were included in the price.
And then it was time for my next two meet and greets and the first one was my absolute favorite of this trip – the Queen of Hearts. The actress playing her was phenomenal – she was funny and witty and just so entertaining.
She looks like a hoot! :laughing:
I like this one. :)
And finally, it was time to meet the Evil Queen. After the Queen of Hearts, she was a bit of a letdown. I know it’s the character, but she was so blasé and disinterested that it couldn’t live up to the previous ones.
Yeah, I can see that. It is her character.
After that it was almost time for the event to event.
How does an event, event? Does it happen eventually?
No rope drop again this morning. Having such a long visit meant I could relax and enjoy myself a little more.
Very nice. I did a bit of that on my last trip. :)
I spent a few hours at MK as I had plans outside the park for the afternoon.
What??? Outside a park??? Is this possible???

;)
finally got the chance to try the cinnamon roll at Gaston’s Tavern. It was ok but honestly Cinnabon is better!
Interesting! we don't have Cinnabons here so can't compare. I do remember liking the one at Gaston's, though.
I had a FP for my least favorite ride – 7DMT. I honestly just think this ride is boring
:laughing: Then why did you get a FP for it?
"Oh, I hate this ride... I should FP it!"

I like the ride. No, it's not an intense coaster, but I always sing along... Hi, ho!!!!
and I think the ride photos capture my feelings perfectly.
:laughing:
After space I crossed back across the park stopping in main street and the hub for a whole bunch of photos and magic shots (which seriously always look so odd)
Post some!
And then I continued on to my last FP in Frontierland – Splash Mountain. I was inspired by @pkondz to try theming my Splash photos this trip and went for the disinterested government agent (she’ll make more appearances through this trip!).

:laughing: Too cool for skool! Nice. :)
The first of my alcoholic based adventures – the monorail crawl!
I've wanted to do this. I'll live vicariously through you. :)
Now don’t ask me how this happened but when I look back at my photos, I appear to have gone around the resort loop backwards. I have no idea what happened but from time stamps I did it that way.
Huh. Odd.
So instead of heading down to Trader Sam’s I made my way up to the Tambu Lounge instead. I sat at the bar and ordered this beauty – the Lapu Lapu - Myers’s Original Dark Rum and Tropical Fruit Juices served in a fresh Pineapple topped with Goslings 151 Rum.
Pass. pkondz does not like rum.
I headed up to the Contempo Café and got my peanut butter pie. It was good but probably a little sweeter than I was hoping and there was no way I could finish the whole thing.
Hmmm... Never heard of that... not sure if it appeals.
the Santa Monica Cider – Strawberry Lime Cider, Hendriks Gin with Agave Nectar, Lime Juice and Micro Basil ($11.50).
If it's not too gin-ee, sounds like something I'd have.
tested out my costume for MNSSHP
It needs testing???

Can't wait to see!

Thankfully after my big afternoon I woke up feeling refreshed and not hungover
Always a good thing.
It was Halloween and the bus had been decorated by the CM and it was just so much fun!
Cool! I've never seen a bus decorated. Nice!
I managed to ride both the GMR (rest in peace),
:sad2:
Awww... You're a wittle bunny!
:) Love this photo!
I stopped for a snack – the infamous Butterfinger cupcake. This was so disappointing – it was basically an ice-cream scoop of white frosting on top of a basic cupcake – the only good part was the Butterfinger pieces.
Meh. Not even on my radar.
I headed back inside for my late lunch ADR. I had a booking at Whispering Canyon Café.
A nice quiet place to unwind.

:rolleyes1
Now I was a little disappointed as I didn’t really get any of the shenanigans I was expecting. I’m not sure if it was because I was dining solo, but I left really underwhelmed with the interactions.
Too bad... but you're probably right.
Ah! I was wondering.

I changed into my costume – it’s Disney related I promise
Boooooring!

;)
You can enter MK at 4pm on a party ticket even though it doesn’t start until 7
I do know that, and yet... I prefer not to. When I'm in costume, I like to get there a bit later. Still before 7, so as not to lose any party time, but... a bit later than 4pm.
Of course with Park Hoppers or as is the case this year an AP, it doesn't matter.
I headed over to my first FP – Buzz and maxed out my score!!!!
Nice!
Cute costume!!! I love it!
And then it was time to head back over to Storybook Circus to get in line for the one meet and greet I was dying to do – the Seven Dwarves.
But of course. :)
I stopped to watch the early firework show.
:confused3
Isn't there just the one?
I staked out a spot in Frontierland to watch the parade – and the grave diggers were the highlight!
::yes::
While in Frontierland I also managed to ride SM solo.
Rare!
I took stock of my candy haul (11lbs for those of you playing at home)
And well on your way to a diabetic coma!
and also organized it like the organized person I am.
Oh, and if you didn’t guess – I’m one of the dolls from It’s a Small World :rotfl:

And while I may not be a fan of the ride, I give you full marks for originality. :)

I like that shot!

Thank you. Blurry crowds are my expertise :rotfl:

Interesting. I don't know if I'd spend that much on a two hour event...

I don't think I would again - especially if I was travelling with anyone else.

Cool decorations, though.

They were. The weird thing was there wasn't enough of them - the rest of the room felt like a generic ballroom or convention space at a hotel.

She looks like a hoot! :laughing:

She really was.

Yeah, I can see that. It is her character.

I find her similar to Elsa - she's also got that aloofness which makes M&Gs less exciting.

How does an event, event? Does it happen eventually?

It happens when you're too lazy to proofread before posting!

Very nice. I did a bit of that on my last trip. :)

Unfortunately I won't be happening this upcoming trip - short number of days = longer hours each day to get ensure stuff gets done.

Interesting! we don't have Cinnabons here so can't compare. I do remember liking the one at Gaston's, though.

There is a Cinnabon at city walk at Universal if you're ever in the mood to try on a future visit.

:laughing: Then why did you get a FP for it?
"Oh, I hate this ride... I should FP it!"

I like the ride. No, it's not an intense coaster, but I always sing along... Hi, ho!!!!

I was giving it a second chance in case I was wrong after trying it for the first time after my last trip. And I did not want to wait if it was going to be a dud again for me,.

Post some!

Just for you

Huh. Odd.

Yeah I really can't figure out how that happened but the time stamps and receipts definitely show that order!

Pass. pkondz does not like rum.

Jess does not like tequila :crazy2:

Hmmm... Never heard of that... not sure if it appeals.

It always makes the must try snack lists and I love PB and Chocolate but it was just too rich and sweet to finish

If it's not too gin-ee, sounds like something I'd have.

Definitely more sweet from the cider.

It needs testing???

Can't wait to see!

Well to make sure it still fit after three weeks of eating American portion sizes!

Cool! I've never seen a bus decorated. Nice!

I'm not sure if was just the CM doing something a little off script but it really did add to the Halloween spirit.

:) Love this photo!

Me too - even if I'm still picking wookie fur from my teeth :lmao:

A nice quiet place to unwind.

Ha! I knew it would be loud but I'd heard good things.

Ah! I was wondering.

I write my TRs in word and then just paste in here when I'm done. This one is 50 parts and 21,000 words so we're not even half way yet! :upsidedow

I do know that, and yet... I prefer not to. When I'm in costume, I like to get there a bit later. Still before 7, so as not to lose any party time, but... a bit later than 4pm.
Of course with Park Hoppers or as is the case this year an AP, it doesn't matter.

I may or may not be very jealous you have an AP....

Cute costume!!! I love it!

Thank you.

But of course. :)

And of course that's the one photo from my memory maker that never showed up :sad:

:confused3
Isn't there just the one?

Yep. I just managed to confuse myself. I think because I saw the fireworks first and then went to the last parade I somehow when looking back at the photos convinced myself there must have been a second set of fireworks 🤦‍♀️

I could have stayed on and ridden again too that's how many people were wanting to ride it that night.

And well on your way to a diabetic coma!

Most of it made its way back to Australia to share with colleagues. Most....

And while I may not be a fan of the ride, I give you full marks for originality. :)

It's not my favourite ride either but I wanted to do an attraction themed costume and unfortunately they don't do tiki birds in my size :laughing:

Thank you. Blurry crowds are my expertise :rotfl:
:laughing: But I really do like that shot.
I don't think I would again - especially if I was travelling with anyone else.
I can see that.
They were. The weird thing was there wasn't enough of them - the rest of the room felt like a generic ballroom or convention space at a hotel.
Really? That's even more disappointing.
I find her similar to Elsa - she's also got that aloofness which makes M&Gs less exciting.
Good comparison.
It happens when you're too lazy to proofread before posting!
I'm not being critical. I make my own share of typos/mistakes. But I liked the way it sounded. :)
Unfortunately I won't be happening this upcoming trip - short number of days = longer hours each day to get ensure stuff gets done.
And that's okay too.
There is a Cinnabon at city walk at Universal if you're ever in the mood to try on a future visit.
Next time. :)
I was giving it a second chance in case I was wrong after trying it for the first time after my last trip. And I did not want to wait if it was going to be a dud again for me,.
Sorry it was a dud again, though.
Just for you

Yay!
Thanks!

Don't eat Tink!!!!!
Definitely more sweet from the cider.
Good! I'm in!
Well to make sure it still fit after three weeks of eating American portion sizes!
Oh! :lmao:

I get that!
Me too - even if I'm still picking wookie fur from my teeth :lmao:
:lmao:
I write my TRs in word and then just paste in here when I'm done.
Me too.
This one is 50 parts and 21,000 words so we're not even half way yet! :upsidedow
:faint:
I may or may not be very jealous you have an AP....
:rolleyes:

But I won't be renewing it.
And of course that's the one photo from my memory maker that never showed up :sad:
Well... poop.
Most of it made its way back to Australia to share with colleagues. Most....
It's not my favourite ride either but I wanted to do an attraction themed costume and unfortunately they don't do tiki birds in my size :laughing:
:rotfl: Now that would've been great!

I am glad you are back, alive and well. Congrats on the marriage. Thanks for sharing your trip report with us.

:laughing: But I really do like that shot.

Well thank you.

Really? That's even more disappointing.

They had screens along the top of the walls that moving voodoo images were on but like the rest of the wall was just black fabric.

I'm not being critical. I make my own share of typos/mistakes. But I liked the way it sounded. :)

I didn't take it as criticism. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist so I'm just embarrassed when I let things like that happen!

Yay!
Thanks!

Don't eat Tink!!!!!

Isn't that how you get magical powers though? Eating fairies?

Oh! :lmao:

I get that!

I think over 6 weeks I gained over 5lbs so about a lb a week....

:rolleyes:

But I won't be renewing it.

That's a shame. But I can understand the expense not being worth it if you don't have multiple trips booked per year.

I definitely ate anything that had peanut butter in it. But the rest did make it back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter