Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

Welp. Now that's stuck in my head.

There're a lot worse tunes to get stuck in your head.

How do you get past her? Handful of $20's? Retinal scan? Well-placed kick to the shin?

You can try those methods, but I found that the easiest was to make an adr for California Grill.

Nice photo. The guy behind you doesn't look happy to be part of the family, though.

Well of course not...would you?! :laughing:

You're on my wavelength.

I've got my trip report readers covered -- no salad appetizers here.

"Realm of Reasonableness" at Disney being a relative term, of course.

Oh yes, I chose those words carefully.

Can't argue with that logic.

As soon as bacon enters the conversation, argument over.

Even if you aren't happy with the photo, what a view!

It was magnificent. No mere photo would do.

Sound logic.

We hadn't even left the building and already have to go back. :faint:

Yep, looks like you'll have to buy some points.

I like the colors in this one.

Thanks, me too.

That's a lot of people up there!

We were probably better off where we were in that regard. There were other people over at Top of the World Lounge, but I don't think it was a crowd like that one.

Neat perspective--a different angle than we usually get to see.

Glad I could give you some photos then.

Glad it was such a good day!

Yep, thanks!

Hi Glenn !~! I hope to be much more active on the boards , busy getting better after major surgery!!

Hi Rosie! Sorry to hear that you had major surgery, but glad that you're on here reading and posting. Reading trip reports is good therapy.

Hey, I was on your neck of the woods over the weekend -- I was at the Taste of Buffalo on Saturday.

Epcot morning

We woke up to our last day at Disney. (But don’t fret, there’s more to this report – we’ve covered Big Apple and Boardwalk, but haven’t even touched on “Beach” yet.) We had our non-park day the day before, and prior to that we’d been to the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Disney Hollywood Studios, so you guessed it (or read the chapter title) – today was earmarked for Epcot.

As I write this chapter, I feel like I’ve reviewed these rides for you before (and they’re certainly not new!), so the commentary will probably be a little low in this chapter.

While we were preparing to leave the suite, James got a frozen water bottle from the freezer and said, “Look at this frozen bottle station.”

Demonstrating my Star Wars fan-dom, I replied, “Fully operational frozen bottle station!”

7sjU.gif

We can’t wait for Galaxy’s Edge, but that’s another trip. And I hope I have this report done before then.

So anyway, we left the Boardwalk and started walking to Epcot’s International Gateway entrance. After we crossed the bridge we came to a husband and wife who were coming from the Beach Club resort and they were trying to decide which way to go. The husband was indicating that they should go over the bridge that we had just crossed (toward the Boardwalk), but the wife disagreed, saying that they should go straight ahead. We asked them where they were trying to go and they said “Epcot”. We pointed them in the direction that the wife had indicated, and I said to the guy, “Sorry dude!”. She said something like, “What’re you supposed to say?” And he replied, “Yes, dear”. Not a good start to the day for that guy.

We made it through security and walked into the U.K.

IMG_9354_zpsupe9jwcc.jpg

One thing I had on my “must do” list was to eat a cronut. We found the cronut stand (Refreshment Port), but it didn’t open until 11, so those would have to wait. We decided to go ride Test Track through the normal standby line, even though we had a Fastpass for later in the morning.

We zipped through the line and were soon designing our cars. I took photos while the others designed.

IMG_9355_zpsjsx8rmi8.jpg

Marlene and Judy are Designing Women.

IMG_9356_zpsajggqqr0.jpg

Marlene’s car

IMG_9357_zpsiz8gk0to.jpg

IMG_9359_zpsbqkl0n8k.jpg

James likes how his car has turned out.

IMG_9360_zpsbvclnvdb.jpg

IMG_9361_zpsxj4jxqan.jpg

IMG_9363_zpsftrbut1o.jpg

I think this may be Lauren’s car.

IMG_9362_zpsdyucyqlf.jpg

IMG_9364_zpswboe2a5o.jpg

James’s again I think

IMG_9365_zpstjskhy0z.jpg

Eventually we were through the queue and zipping around the track.

IMG_9367_zpsd1lhnnsv.jpg

IMG_9368_zpsynwlda5o.jpg

IMG_9369_zpsixlhmn7u.jpg

IMG_9370_zpssxscvqpd.jpg

IMG_9371_zpspnmd8cqi.jpg

IMG_9372_zps6sidneg5.jpg

Our speed

IMG_9373_zpserx2wxp5.jpg

Design scores

IMG_9374_zps414zchec.jpg

IMG_9375_zpsdoxow2ja.jpg

IMG_9376_zpsagexj5d6.jpg

IMG_9379_zpsrolxb3u8.jpg

Even though the kids are older, they still enjoy these games after the ride.

IMG_9380_zps9y8fijkf.jpg

The track

IMG_9381_zpsvfi7ewql.jpg

continued in next post

continued from previous post

I looked at the My Disney Experience app and saw that our Spaceship Earth Fastpass was showing that it was good all day, so that meant that the ride was down. Instead, we moved on to Innoventions, where James and Marlene wanted to try Sum of All Thrills. I think they were afraid of it on our last trip when I tried it out, but had grown a little more adventurous by this trip.

IMG_9382_zps6l1dbul3.jpg

It’s kind of hard to keep track of your kid when you’re waiting outside of the ride and they’re working on designing their coaster and then going through the line where you can’t see them very well. And you want to know when they’re on the ride so that you can get these great upside-down pictures.

IMG_9385_zpsu6q7o9gw.jpg

And dangling feet.

IMG_9387_zpsm0wgz57z.jpg

IMG_9388_zpscs3rzxpj.jpg

IMG_9389_zpslgdklbsl.jpg

We rode Test Track again with our Fastpasses, but I just enjoyed the ride – no pictures this time around. After that, we needed some refreshment from Club Cool.

IMG_9390_zpsffm1puis.jpg

IMG_9391_zpsld8m2kft.jpg

Of course we’ve all tried Beverly before, but it had been a while so I lined the girls up for the taste test.

IMG_9392_zpsoxpjkgro.jpg

IMG_9393_zpsxasfa4zw.jpg

As yucky as ever!

From there, it was on to Mission Space. Well, all of us except Judy, who didn’t have a good experience with the ride last time. Instead, she’d wait for us and enjoy something from Starbucks. I peeked into Starbucks to get a shot of the new Epcot location.

IMG_9394_zpslhixepjx.jpg

The rest of us went to ride Mission Space. We would be riding the Orange side, the more intense ride. You’d think the more intense ride would be Green, as in the color you turn when you’re on it.

IMG_9395_zpsqxmygsdb.jpg

It was a good thing I was there, since I came up with the idea that we do a slingshot around the moon for a gravity-assisted boost. I don’t know how the kids would’ve made it back to Earth without me. In addition to that and my assigned job in the capsule (whatever that was), I was also able to get this picture of the kids performing their assigned jobs.

IMG_0150_zpsolxh9usw.jpg

Safely back on Earth, it was getting near lunchtime. Spaceship Earth was back up and running and we decided to squeeze that in while we were in that part of the park.

I took a bunch of pictures of the various scenes, but since you’ve seen them before I’ll just include our favorite hippie-scientist-woman.

IMG_9414_zpsajum3de5.jpg

IMG_9416_zpszsvpeqyu.jpg

According to the ride, in my future, I’m going to be very active and outdoorsy! Looking forward to that.

IMG_9422_zpsnn5zvgrr.jpg

IMG_9423_zpsxl0b7vsy.jpg

This “couch potato” picture looks more like my present.

IMG_9426_zpsngyezdyl.jpg

But maybe the Spaceship Earth prediction of my future was right, because “active and outdoorsy” could be a description of our trek to our adr, which we were about to be late for. (Although “hot, sweaty, out-of-breath, speed-walk across the park” might be a better description, but I’m getting ahead of myself.) Coming up in the next chapter.

Up next: Chefs de France

Last edited:

SLOW DOWN!!!

You are posting too quickly.

Somehow I got like 5 updates behind

:eek:

Great tour of the Boardwalk Inn- I enjoyed reading about the little details. It is amazing all of the little touches, so many things that one would not notice unless they are described or pointed out.

I don't believe there is a similar tour at the Beach Club. But there SHOULD be! Maybe I'll offer to run it.

Will Docent for Lodging

Speaking of the Beach Club...

Similar to when we visited the Boardwalk for the first time and Marlene announced that she’d like to stay at the Boardwalk for her graduation trip (the trip we were now on), upon seeing Stormalong Bay, James announced that he’d like to stay at the Beach Club for his.

:woohoo:

(Cut to present-day...at this point in the planning for his graduation trip, it doesn’t look like that will be what we do. His graduation trip should be this coming summer (yes, he will be graduating from high school!)...however, he wants to wait until Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge opens, so the trip probably won’t occur until December 2019. And December doesn’t seem like the best month to take advantage of Stormalong Bay, so the Beach Club may have to wait until another time for a Glennbo-family stay.)

Well, that was short-lived!

Thank you for the comprehensive review of Beaches & Cream dining experience. Would you mind if I included your review and/or select pictures on the Beach & Yacht Club FAQ page?

Looks like your family all enjoyed "pool time" in your own ways. I liked your tour of outside of the BWI- what a lovely courtyard and I love the villas that have the little garden walkways.

I have not dined at California Grill- it's on the bucket list, and your review reinforces that.

Your pictures of the setting and food are gorgeous!

Awesome picture!

One more update to go...

:goodvibes

I'm glad you were able to help those folks out finding their way to EPCOT from the Beach Club. In their defense, I'm not sure there is adequate signage to guide the way.

Smart move to tackle Test Track since the ride goes down so frequently, but even better that you got two rides.

Also smart for the kids to try Sum of All Thrills, especially since they will no longer get the chance to ride :(

The rest of us went to ride Mission Space. We would be riding the Orange side, the more intense ride. You’d think the more intense ride would be Green, as in the color you turn when you’re on it.

I totally agree! I always need to think the decision through when picking a color because the coding is counter-intuitive!

:sick:

Caught up.

Ready for the next chapter now!

:rotfl2:

SLOW DOWN!!!

You are posting too quickly.

Somehow I got like 5 updates behind

:eek:

It’s my fault – I am posting so slowly that no one expects that there could even possibly be a new chapter to read! Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Great tour of the Boardwalk Inn- I enjoyed reading about the little details. It is amazing all of the little touches, so many things that one would not notice unless they are described or pointed out.

It was really nice and a perfect thing to do on a non-park day. We were happy that we could take advantage of it.

I don't believe there is a similar tour at the Beach Club. But there SHOULD be! Maybe I'll offer to run it.

Will Docent for Lodging

:rotfl: Wouldn’t that be awesome if you could do that?! Talk about the perfect job in retirement. And yes, I’m sure the Beach Club has lots of little secrets to share too.

Speaking of the Beach Club...

:woohoo:

Well, that was short-lived!

:laughing: Yeah, well, that’s what happens when you start planning your Disney trips 3 to 5 years in advance. Things change! But some day we will get to the Beach Club. And Aulani.

Thank you for the comprehensive review of Beaches & Cream dining experience. Would you mind if I included your review and/or select pictures on the Beach & Yacht Club FAQ page?

Mind?! I’d be honored! Use whatever you’d like.

Looks like your family all enjoyed "pool time" in your own ways. I liked your tour of outside of the BWI- what a lovely courtyard and I love the villas that have the little garden walkways.

Yes, in our own ways. ;) Yes, I was curious to check out the other side of the resort. Those little garden walkway rooms are muy expensive! I think I have some replies to Vanessa a page or two back where I looked up how much they cost...yikes!

I have not dined at California Grill- it's on the bucket list, and your review reinforces that.

Yes, so many restaurants on the bucket list. That was an enjoyable dinner and evening. And I think we were able to get out of there without breaking the bank by sticking with sushi entrees.

Your pictures of the setting and food are gorgeous!

Hey thanks! My Canon camera was new for this trip and I think it excelled at the food pictures.

Awesome picture!

Thanks again!

One more update to go...

:goodvibes

Okay, nice.

I'm glad you were able to help those folks out finding their way to EPCOT from the Beach Club. In their defense, I'm not sure there is adequate signage to guide the way.

Yeah, and I think there’s a little hill at that spot so you can’t really see the International Gateway yet. Anyway, I felt sorry for the guy – it was as if his wife yanked his man-card from him.

Smart move to tackle Test Track since the ride goes down so frequently, but even better that you got two rides.

Also smart for the kids to try Sum of All Thrills, especially since they will no longer get the chance to ride :(

I don’t know that we thought it through that much, but in retrospect, yeah, we were really smart!! :laughing:

I totally agree! I always need to think the decision through when picking a color because the coding is counter-intuitive!

:sick:

To be honest, I had to look it up on the internet while writing this chapter...I can never remember which is which!

Caught up.

Ready for the next chapter now!

:rotfl2:

Dang, I’d better get to work. Thanks for reading Dee!

Fun update on the FW side of EPCOT. I like designing the car part of TT even though I super suck at it. I'm far better at hide and seek with my phone on that ride. ;)

And this reminds me I want to get a Disney Bounding outfit together of that hippie-scientist chick for my next trip. She's ridiculously awesome!

Run!!! Get to that ADR!!!

Fun update on the FW side of EPCOT. I like designing the car part of TT even though I super suck at it.

I don't think I'd be very good at it either so I just stick to photographing the process.

I'm far better at hide and seek with my phone on that ride. ;)

Okay, that one went over my head. :duck::scratchin

And this reminds me I want to get a Disney Bounding outfit together of that hippie-scientist chick for my next trip. She's ridiculously awesome!

That would be so great! The yellow leggins and turtleneck, the lab coat and clipboard, and of course the boots. But how will pull off the hair?

Run!!! Get to that ADR!!!

What's the expression?...call me anything you want, just don't call me late for supper?

We woke up to our last day at Disney. (But don’t fret, there’s more to this report – we’ve covered Big Apple and Boardwalk, but haven’t even touched on “Beach” yet.) We had our non-park day the day before, and prior to that we’d been to the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Disney Hollywood Studios, so you guessed it (or read the chapter title) – today was earmarked for Epcot.

I hate the last park day! Lucky for you the beach was coming up next.

Demonstrating my Star Wars fan-dom, I replied, “Fully operational frozen bottle station!”

:sad2:

We can’t wait for Galaxy’s Edge, but that’s another trip. And I hope I have this report done before then.

We're looking forward to this too.

So anyway, we left the Boardwalk and started walking to Epcot’s International Gateway entrance. After we crossed the bridge we came to a husband and wife who were coming from the Beach Club resort and they were trying to decide which way to go. The husband was indicating that they should go over the bridge that we had just crossed (toward the Boardwalk), but the wife disagreed, saying that they should go straight ahead. We asked them where they were trying to go and they said “Epcot”. We pointed them in the direction that the wife had indicated, and I said to the guy, “Sorry dude!”. She said something like, “What’re you supposed to say?” And he replied, “Yes, dear”. Not a good start to the day for that guy.

Poor guy he hasn't learned that the wife is always right.

We zipped through the line and were soon designing our cars. I took photos while the others designed.

I'm usually taking pictures too. I don't think I've designed a car yet.

I looked at the My Disney Experience app and saw that our Spaceship Earth Fastpass was showing that it was good all day, so that meant that the ride was down. Instead, we moved on to Innoventions, where James and Marlene wanted to try Sum of All Thrills. I think they were afraid of it on our last trip when I tried it out, but had grown a little more adventurous by this trip.

Good thing they did this, I don't think it there anymore.

IMG_9393_zpsxasfa4zw.jpg

As yucky as ever!

:rotfl2:I love Judy's expression.

From there, it was on to Mission Space. Well, all of us except Judy, who didn’t have a good experience with the ride last time. Instead, she’d wait for us and enjoy something from Starbucks. I peeked into Starbucks to get a shot of the new Epcot location.

I'm with Judy on this one. DH loves the orange side. I finally tried the green side last May and did ok, but I'll never do Orange.

According to the ride, in my future, I’m going to be very active and outdoorsy! Looking forward to that.

Very interesting, at lest they got the snow right.

Ha! This picture made me think back to the times we counted Judys as there is a very sneaky Judy in here buying her coffee!! I love her hat! And it goes very well with the decor inside the Starbucks.

Great update and it seems like you had a lot of fun exploring Epcot that morning! I hadn't been on Mission Space in ages and demanded that we go on it on our last trip. Somehow someone in our capsule had the same sling shot idea as you!

Ha! This picture made me think back to the times we counted Judys as there is a very sneaky Judy in here buying her coffee!! I love her hat! And it goes very well with the decor inside the Starbucks.

I remember that too!!! Fun times. But I know very well how much time it takes to keep up a contest and I just don't have that anymore. Makes me sad a bit, but life moves on and things can change.

I hate the last park day! Lucky for you the beach was coming up next.

I know! Maybe you could go to downtown N.O. and have someone improv the "Last Day Blues".

We're looking forward to this too.

Can't wait!

Poor guy he hasn't learned that the wife is always right.

It's even worse in those rare occasions when they really are right. ;)

I'm usually taking pictures too. I don't think I've designed a car yet.

Yeah, that's fine with me.

Good thing they did this, I don't think it there anymore.

I think you're right. I forgot about that.

I love Judy's expression.

Beverly face!

I'm with Judy on this one. DH loves the orange side. I finally tried the green side last May and did ok, but I'll never do Orange.

I think this is the most nausea-inducing ride on property. Off-property, it has to be election day.

Very interesting, at lest they got the snow right.

Near-term, yes. But post-retirement we may be looking for a warmer climate. We'll see, it's a ways off.

Ha! This picture made me think back to the times we counted Judys as there is a very sneaky Judy in here buying her coffee!!

I know, those were fun times! The neat thing was, just like in this picture, I never planned a "hidden Judy". I was usually hanging back trying to get a picture of the crowd and she and the kids would just keep going and end up in the shot.

I love her hat! And it goes very well with the decor inside the Starbucks.

Thanks! Sully loved it too, in an earlier chapter. The hat just went on another vacation and traveled very well -- sprang back even though it got smooshed in the suitcase.

Great update and it seems like you had a lot of fun exploring Epcot that morning!

Thanks. Yes, not a lot of new stuff, but a fun time.

I hadn't been on Mission Space in ages and demanded that we go on it on our last trip. Somehow someone in our capsule had the same sling shot idea as you!

Yes, word gets around when you have an idea as good as the "Glennbo slingshot maneuver".

I remember that too!!! Fun times. But I know very well how much time it takes to keep up a contest and I just don't have that anymore. Makes me sad a bit, but life moves on and things can change.

I know, those were fun times on the Disboards. I don't have the time it takes to keep up with that kind of thing, unfortunately. I feel bad that I can't keep up on people's trip reports anymore, which is even worse. And then there's this report, which is getting so long in the tooth! :o I WILL finish it though!

I have been reading your trip reports for years. I have really enjoyed them.

And that's just this report! ba dum bum.
rimshot.gif

Seriously though, thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you're reading along and enjoying them. And :welcome:

Last edited:
Well I am all caught up , and resisted counting Judie's :rotfl2:I am busy planning a trip to Universal in October !! I also hope t o doDisney next May for F&G fest !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!