Big baby, baby wearing, good for nursing

MamaBelle4

DIS Veteran
Hello to all you baby wearers out there!

I baby, uh, wore? with my older kids, but only for a bit at a time and never anywhere as long and physically straining as Disney.

When we go in May, we will have a 6 month old in addition to our DDs 9, 7, 5 & 2. We will have a double stroller, but I figured baby wearing will come in handy so I have my hands as well when we need to abandon the stroller.

When I wore before, as I said above, it wasn't for long periods of time, so I had cheap, not terrifically comfortable carriers.

I'm looking for what YOU would choose for a large baby (he's a month old and weighs 9.9 lb and is 23.5 inches long) that I may be able to nurse in as well, but isn't too warm in case it is miserable in May.

Thank you for any advice!

I have a mesh Tula that is comfortable and fairly easy to nurse in. I think the shirt I wear has the most impact on ease of nursing—if it doesn’t open in the front, I will pull my top shirt up in the front before putting baby on so that I don’t have to wiggle too much. I always wear a camisole underneath.

I recommend a quality linen ring sling. Lightweight, good for nursing, and will last for years (I still use it for my 3 year old for short periods of time). I love this company, very affordable: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/

Their website has instructions and guidance, and if there is a local babywearing group you can go to a meeting (for free) and they will help you with how to use it properly.

These are stock photos, fyi.

Attachments

• Jet-Ribbons-Moby-Ring-Sling.jpg
    Jet-Ribbons-Moby-Ring-Sling.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 5
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 4
I have a mesh Tula that is comfortable and fairly easy to nurse in. I think the shirt I wear has the most impact on ease of nursing—if it doesn’t open in the front, I will pull my top shirt up in the front before putting baby on so that I don’t have to wiggle too much. I always wear a camisole underneath.
Totally agree about dressing for success. I always wore low cut/stretchy tops when out and about with baby for ease of nursing.

. I think the shirt I wear has the most impact on ease of nursing—if it doesn’t open in the front, I will pull my top shirt up in the front before putting baby on so that I don’t have to wiggle too much. I always wear a camisole underneath.

Totally agree about dressing for success. I always wore low cut/stretchy tops when out and about with baby for ease of nursing.

Luckily I have an arsenal of nursing tanks because I've nursed all my babies. I pretty much will be living in these for the next year.

Tula or other SSC hands down. I never did love slings because i found it restricted my arm on one side too much.

My fav SSC is not as commonly known, Lenny Lamb. Love it because it is made from wrap material, which is super soft and comfy, and the waist band is softer and less structured. I could never get into the Tula or Lillebaby. Beco also makes very nice SSC. Ergo was never good for me because they are very short and my son is 80th percentile height, so it wouldn't have lasted long.

I would definitely avoid the ergo...my daughter was 21 inches at birth (off the charts) and by 6 months was 30 inches (off the charts). Sorry I don't have a good recommendation as a replacement. My friend swore by her tulla, but I'm pretty sure her 3 year old is the same size as my now 17 month old towering toddler.

I have an Ergo that I've used with all my kids (bought it in 2011, design may have changed). On our mid-September trip to Disney we had a 7mo. The Ergo was fantastic, I wore it on some rides and in all the lines. I have nursed in it a couple times, but find it easier to take baby out and hold him sideways than having him be upright. The fabric was navy and kind of heavy, if I were buying it just for this trip I'd have chosen something lighter. Baby was about 75th percentile at that age, I can still carry him in the Ergo at 23 months.

I have a ring sling, which is quicker on and off, but my back and shoulders are a little touchy and I can't wear it for long periods because the weight is not on both shoulders. So whatever you get, practice quite a bit before the trip.

Well, you never know, dd16 was almost 9 pounds at birth, 21 1/2 inches (2 weeks early), and ended up being a peanut! At one point a few years ago was in the 15% for height, didn’t make the chart for weight (she’s now a respectable 5’2”, 105 pounds). Her percentages declined every year. I remember buying her 3t clothes when she was 3, she didn’t fit into them for another couple of years. Dd21 always just fit into the size that matched her age, ds19 was always in the 95th % and skipped sizes.

Two other soft-structured carriers that have worked for me at Disney: Pikkolo and Kinderpack. KP has an option with a mesh center panel and comes in different sizes. Both do a great job distributing weight to your hips for front and back carries. (I have carried a *4* year old in the largest-sized KP.) Both can go back and forth between parents of different sizes with easy adjustment of straps.
Neither of my kids were good at nursing in a carrier so can't help there.

I used the ergo 360 then switched to Tula toddler ..I wish I found Tula sooner. My daughter was a huge baby to 2 years now she's average size. She's 3.5 and I can still easily throw her on my back in the Tula. Mine always wore a size bigger than her age so as soon as she was 2 years she wore a 3t. I would consider the mesh Tula though or any other brand because they can get hot.

I started with a Tula but my baby HATED it. We bought an Ergo 360 for Disneyland and she was much happier. I believe the Ergo 360 is the only carrier in which you can have baby facing forward on the front of your body. Ultimately, the right carrier is the one that you baby is most comfy in.

I love the Lillebaby! We've used it from birth to 2 1/2! Also, my DH is 6'2" and I'm 5' so it was important we find a carrier that works for both of us! This fit the bill and adjusts very easily and quickly. As for nursing while carrying I've never figured this out. Do you move your babe to the side so they are side lying in the carrier, or are they vertical while you nurse? Would love to hear how you all master this!

I live in SoFla and have a 2 month old. I love my Lillebaby Airflow!

We have the original Lillebaby because we live in Canada and it's winter for over half the year where we live! But I'm planning on renting the airflow for our Sept trip! Does it help keep you and babe cool in the heat?

ring sling was my carrier of choice.... lightweight, easy to take on/off, can double as a blanket, easy to nurse in, easy to switch baby position for comfort.

I live in SoFla and have a 2 month old. I love my Lillebaby Airflow!

I love the Lillebaby! We've used it from birth to 2 1/2! Also, my DH is 6'2" and I'm 5' so it was important we find a carrier that works for both of us! This fit the bill and adjusts very easily and quickly. As for nursing while carrying I've never figured this out. Do you move your babe to the side so they are side lying in the carrier, or are they vertical while you nurse? Would love to hear how you all master this!

I second these ladies! My fifth baby will be one year old this March. I have tried numerous carriers (wraps, Ergo, Becco, off brand carriers) and the lillebaby is my FAVORITE! Amazon has a pretty big selection and they have some really fun prints too!

Love your Dis-name by the way :thumbsup2

We have the original Lillebaby because we live in Canada and it's winter for over half the year where we live! But I'm planning on renting the airflow for our Sept trip! Does it help keep you and babe cool in the heat?
Yes! That said, I always wear shorts and a tank top when I wear him because he's a little hot potato :laughing: I tried my cousin's Ergobaby which is more of a canvas material and immediately felt a difference - the mesh on the airflow really helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter