• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big Cedar Lodge

dizneeluvr

Mystery Writer
Just returned this morning (2am) from our first DVC trip, spent 3 nights at Big Cedar Lodge (just outside Branson MO). WHAT A BEAUTIFUL RESORT!!
Very relaxing, every room in the Falls Lodge has a lake view. Swimming pools were not crowded at all, Marina is fantastic, miniature golf always a hit, kids loved horse ride with singing cowboy and toasting marshmallows.
Hard to believe it is only ten minutes from Branson, you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere with great views of Table Rock lake and the Ozark mountains.
DH wants to add on points Monday when offices open (we own at WLV and haven't been there yet, but he wants to add on more points already) ;)

Sounds awesome!

We live in Southern Illinois, probably within 5 hours of Big Cedar. Branson doesn't really interest me but sounds like this resort would. We have yet to stay at VWL on points but had a wonderful time on a cash reservation last December. You will love your new home! We do a lot of boating down here, was there covered docks available for rent at Big Cedar?

PS: How did you decide on Big Cedar for your first dvc stay?
_Ron.

How did you find out about this place? I don't even see it listed in my list of Midwest destinations that DVC provided for me. :confused:

I was just thinking of Big Cedar Lodge today, remembering that someone was going to be there soon and hoping they'd post a report. We've been interested in this place for at least 5 years and really do want to visit there. Glad to hear you liked it.

Ron,
Branson never interested us either, not a fan of country music at all. We went last year and had a blast!! We have a 2 yo and a 6 yo and they enjoyed it as much as we did. We have seen the Radio City Rockettes, a Riverdance show, a fabulous magician (Kirby VanBurch). Silver Dollar City is a nice relaxed pace themed park. Many other activities that we enjoy as well. (Disney Catalog outlet store to boot!).

We lived in MO for 6 years prior to our first visit, and wish we hadn't waited so long!

The marina does have covered slips, as well as many boats available to rent. Many people did bring their own boats as well.

Mary J,
We found Big Cedar in the Concierge collection in the info provided by DVC. It would be about 6-7 hours from Mt. Vernon IN. It takes 4 hours from St. Louis, straight on 44 to Springfield.

Mike

Big Cedar Lodge is very highly thought of and was selected as part of the Concierge Collection...Also, I think National Geographic Traveller had a recent piece on getaways and spoke very highly of it...I've never been, but one of the people I work with went last year and raved about it...You'd have to fly to St Louis and then catch a smaller plane to Springfield to get their by air(TWA goes) ...the 4 hour drive from St Louis has some pretty, scenic stretches and at least one interesting side trip (Meramec Caverns)....I don't know about the drive up from Little Rock or Tulsa...

thanks for the report. This place will definitely be on our "to do" list. We have a 4 year old and it's nice to hear about other things to do around a resort. Thanks for the info. So I take it that since we're from MA we'd have to fly into St. Louis and then drive for 4 hours, did I get that right?

If you fly to St Louis you can drive or you can fly from St Louis to Springfield then a very short drive from Springfield to Branson area...Hartford (BDL is the airport code) has flights directly to St Louis. on TWA soon to be AA...Southwest flies from Providence to St Louis via Baltimore...I think

Paul

:D I'd love to hear others opinions of Big Cedar Lodge, we are new DVC members and in Missouri. I'm trying to talk DH into a quick trip but he thinks 30pts. for a log cabin is to much. How rustic is it? What's your opinion on point value?

Thanks

TIG :D

We just returned last week from Big Cedar Lodge. It is a gorgeous place and very relaxing. We had a cabin up on the hill overlooking the Marina. Their website is
http://www.big-cedar.com
It's pricey and probably not the best use of your points but I figure if I average out this vacation with a vacation where I used my points wisely, it's not so bad. Be sure and take the Dogwood Canyon Tour about 15 miles away, it's spectacular! This was the second time we have been there. Enjoyed the June weather a little better than the July weather-hot! I certainly wouldn't be hesitant to use my points there again.:)

We found Big Cedar to be worth the points. We opted to stay in the Falls Lodge rather than a private cabin in the interest of saving points and it was a beautiful, spacious room. It is comparable to the size room you would find at the Polynesian (and if you've stayed there you know they have good size rooms). You also get a jacuzzi tub and all rooms in this lodge (all non-smoking) have a private balcony overlooking Tablerock Lake as well as the mountains. You are just a short walk to registration, pools, tennis court, miniature golf, marina, restaurants, etc. A cabin would be neat but hard to justify the bigger discrepancy in points for us anyway.

Thanks for all the information. We are thinking of going in 2002 or 2003. What types of small motor boats were available to rent? Did you go out on the lake?

What other non-country musical acts do you recall in Branson? Thanks.

We rented a 7 passenger pontoon/party boat...they have several other larger sizes available as well. And people were renting skis and tubes too. They also have bass boats as well. We went out on the lake in the first mentioned boat and it was in great shape and the lake is beautiful!

Non country entertainment would be Kirby VanBurch magician, Yakov Smirnov (think that is spelled right) comedian, Spirit of the Dance (riverdance troupe), lots of other comedy, variety music shows we haven't even done yet and by the time you go there should be a show by the Haygood Family (supposed to open their own theater next April) and these kids are awesome! They perform at silver dollar city right now but are sooo good that they will make it no problem on their own. Eight kids ranging in age from about 23 down to 5 and they can play any musical instrument, dance like crazy and they outsing any of these new boy bands that everyone thinks are so good! You've got to check them out when you come. They are a definate must-see!

Then there are the standard miniature golf courses, ride the ducks ride (old army vehicles that have been refurbished that allow you to go for a tour of the area on land and then it splashes into the lake for a water tour). I think they have these things in Boston and several other cities as well.

And then there is Silver Dollar City. It is much more of a theme park than an amusement park (only a handful of rides), but very nice and also a must do!

We live about 3 hours from Branson and I would not stay anywhere but Big Cedar. The Falls Lodge is the newest lodge and is beautiful. When we stay there we have always had a room with a big jacuzzi, fireplace and balcony. The standard rooms are very nice but not elaborate. The 3 bedroom cabins are something you have to see to believe with soaring ceilings filled with stained glass windows and a huge balcony overlooking the lower floor. There is also a restored Chris-Craft boat much like the "Breathless" at WDW. This resort is so hard to book for weekends. And Thanksgiving and Christmas are extremely popular, you need to book 6-8 months out. I have put my name on a waiting list for Thanksgiving and got it. And Christmas actually seemed a little easier to book. This is truly an enchanting resort. One more thing, I always come home with some fabulous find from the two gift shops.

Melanie

Thank goodness for all the good news about Big Cedar!
My DH and I are going the end of Aug.
All these notes sound great. Im going to have him read all these replies later tommorow.( I have to work TDS tonight)

Big Cedar Lodge is an excellent resort! We have been there twice (both times prior to our becoming DVC members) and have had a very relaxing and romantic get-away. The first time we had a room in Falls Lodge and it was wonderful - view was terrific (and we were there in February) and the food at Devils Pool restaurant was outstanding! We had a cabin on the second trip (again in February) and found it rustic yet very comfortable (jacuzzi tub in both the lodge and cabin was great). Cabin had a small kitchen and we grocery shopped in town and fixed a very romantic candlelight dinner.

Would agree the Dogwood Canyon tour is worth the drive - although in February the tours were by appointment only, we chose to just walk the trails (great waterfall shots). Customer service here is in keeping with what we expect and receive at WDW. Big Cedar is actually owned by Bass Pro Shops. Can't say enough good things about it - for photos, check their web site at www.big-cedar.com .

Mark

Off-property - 10/1998
Disney Institute - 11/1999
BWV - 05/2000
Carribean Beach - 10/2000
BWV - 11/2001

My family has been to Big Cedar Lodge three times, twice on DVC points in the Honeymoon cabin with loft and two bedroom cabin, and the fishing cabin with the Timeshare promotion. We love it so much we bought into their timeshare (Big Cedar Wilderness Club in partnership with BlueGreen Vacation Club) even though we already have a timeshare in Branson. Up until now the only timeshare they allowed to trade into the lodge is DVC and it will be interesting if they will continue this in the future with the Wilderness Club there. You can fly into Kansas City for a four hour drive down and the airfare might be less than going into St. Louis. If you go to BigCedar.com you can see more info and if you go to Branson.com you can see all the info on Branson and the shows. It's a lot more than country music.

The cabins are very rustic with stuffed animals everywhere and a lot of privacy. As for wise use of points, that's what my points are for - vacations, and being able to drive instead of airfare I came out better. For comparison the two bedroom cabins rent for around $400 a night and sleeps six.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter