Big Family (16 people) coming from Australia : advice needed

Bay lake tower

Earning My Ears
HI there,

Australian here.

Planning on taking all 10 grandkids (plus parents) to Disney world 2021 or 2022, depending on Covid vaccine release.
Family #1 : 8 kids + 2 parents, Family #2 : 2 kids, 2 parents.

Normally its just the DH and I so this is a big change to our usual holiday (3 weeks at BLT + golf). So we know WDW well, just not for the vantage point of touring with kids.

So I have a few questions.

Plane travel, long haul (22+ hrs)..
the youngest 2 GK's are 1.5 yrs, the oldest will be 14. The rest scattered in age between those two ages.
Question: Should the families all fly together or each family travel separately. and what do you suggest....do the entire trip SYD-LAX-MCO in one go (22-28 hrs) or break it up with a stop in LA.

Accommodation : Old key west , is this good for family groups without a car.

Food : grocery delivery, who do you recommend ?

Any budget hints and tips?

Any other big families been to WDW?? Any advice

Going to be very interesting.....

Thanks in advance

15 or 16 people total?
Are you DVC members?
Planning to have the entire trip on property?

I think each family's should fly separately and meet up at WDW.

Break it up with a stop for a night or two in Los Angeles.

No experiences with large family trips, but we once stayed at OKW (2018): Tranquil resort but poor bus service, frankly speaking I had much better bus service at the values and moderates...

I just changed my resort from OKW to YC because i didnt realize OKW has an internal bus system because it is such a massive resort and no indoor seating for QS dining. They have a walk up to order and picnic tables to eat or you can head back to your room to eat, which with an internal bus depending on which building your in can be pretty far...SS might be a good alternative price wise if any of that would be an issue for you

OKW is a great choice!

The other option I would consider if cost is a factor would be a tree house at SSR and a studio ,you should be able to get them within close walking distance to each other. this also has a good chance of being available cash

We have done 12 as DVC members

If you are thinking an OKW grand villa and a studio, you will need to do it with points

Depending on the time of year, you might be able to do a OKW 2br and a studios with cash

GVs are really fun for a large group.

For the flight I did east coast to Syd when I was young, but we stopped in Tahiti for a couple of days which was nice/fun.

Having a full kitchen will be your largest savings. I would us a ride share for your initial shopping trip

You did not say how long you trip is, but if it is 10 plus days a split stay can be fun

Ooh, 1 1/2 year olds on a 22 hour flight sounds painful! And in the parks they’ll need their own schedule. I wouldn’t try or want to have the entire group on the same step by step plan every day. Perhaps in the same park or meet for one meal would be more pleasant for everyone.
The first day you arrive, I’d use as a pool day. I know my family is always tired after travelling, I can’t imagine making that long of a trip and then having energy for the parks the next day.
For the parents of 8 kids, you definitely need to give them an evening to themselves with a nice meal booked for just the two of them! Each couple would enjoy this.
Split up the kids and plan out your itinerary accordingly, including where you’d like to eat each meal. It’s much more relaxing having a loose plan.
If it were me, I’d postpone until after COVID.

HI there,

Australian here.

Planning on taking all 10 grandkids (plus parents) to Disney world 2021 or 2022, depending on Covid vaccine release.
Family #1 : 8 kids + 2 parents, Family #2 : 2 kids, 2 parents.

Normally its just the DH and I so this is a big change to our usual holiday (3 weeks at BLT + golf). So we know WDW well, just not for the vantage point of touring with kids.

So I have a few questions.

Plane travel, long haul (22+ hrs)..
the youngest 2 GK's are 1.5 yrs, the oldest will be 14. The rest scattered in age between those two ages.
Question: Should the families all fly together or each family travel separately. and what do you suggest....do the entire trip SYD-LAX-MCO in one go (22-28 hrs) or break it up with a stop in LA.

Food : grocery delivery, who do you recommend ?

Any budget hints and tips?

Any other big families been to WDW?? Any advice

Going to be very interesting.....

Thanks in advance
We often travel with 10-12 family members. If our schedules allowvwe always prwfer to trabel together...just makes things easier and more fun, but there are times that not all can make the same flight etc., so we may meet down there.

Honestly, in my opinion Old Key West is not the best if relying solely on Disney transportation, just because it's spread out etc. - Although boat to DS is nice.

I would link everyone in mde, so 1 person can make all fastpasses...unless you don't plan on touring much together. I'd also try to sit down way ahead of time and figure out who wants to eat where and how many total will be eating each meal for adrs etc.

We also don't do any parks on arrival/departure days and really make room for a few rest days in between.

Not nearly as large, but my family of 7 (5 kids) went with my parents. We stayed in a 2 bedroom BC villa, my parents stayed in a studio, even though they saw my kids every day at home, they were happy to have their own space, small kids are exhausting. We would also split up into different groups.

Hi fellow Australian here,
I sure hope your trip comes off and this travel ban disappears soon.

i think if you can all travel together it will be a lot of fun, but it’s not essential. parents with babies will probably want the seats on plane with the baby bassinets, the rest can spread themselves around. If you are altogether everyone can help with babies.

contrary to many opinions I would suggest do not have a stop over, we never do, the travel is so long, you just want it over. I would not want to wake up next day and have another flight. our experience traveling from Aus we normally arrive late at night And so we just go straight to bed and wake up ready for first day.

we like to go via Dallas, rather than LA, timing seems better. We have done LA a few times though.

on first day we always plan a half day, and do not make any reservations (except FP) in case things go wrong (which over the many trips seems to happen a lot to us).

we have stayed at a lot of places (see sig) I do not recommend OKW without a car - we had a car and still didn’t like it much.

I can’t tell if you have 4 adults or 6, but if you have six 3 rooms that hold six would be enough, if you have 4 then as you have two babies then 2 rooms for six plus babies. if you aren’t DVC consider family suite at AoA (This has skyliner kids will love it) or fort wilderness cabins (you can hire a golf cart or two kids will love this too). If you are dvc we had a two day stay at riverieria (this has skyliner) You can get big rooms here - have to say this place Had the most comfortable bed at Disney I have ever had.

We have a large family I would fly together the parents of 8 kids could use the help of the parents of 2 kids... plus it would be more fun.

When it comes to grocery delivery we have used most of the companies my favorite is Amazon prime now mostly because you can order when ever you want.. they have two hour time blocks or you can pay for 1 hour. Walmart had better prices and a better selection but it's hard to get a good delivery time.
We buy Landrys gift cards online as well as join Landrys club. They work at trex & rainforest cafe, yak and yeti. The Landry's club help get your seating. You can read about it in the restaurants thread.
Most of these questions can be addressed individually.

How do you usually tour WDW?
Up early? Stay all day? Back for pool time?

How do the two families deal with being somewhere on time?
How adventurous are the kids?
How do the families like to plan?

If one family can get going by 9 but the other can't get out the door until 12, decide now how to handle that. "We'll meet you in Magic Kingdom. I know your kids won't be doing Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain railroad so we will do that before you get here."

Or How do deal with the littles vs the bigs on rides... The littles can't go on Space Mountain but the bigs want to go...will you split up? Do some rides together and then split up for little kid rides vs big kids?

If you come up with a park plan, will each family go along with it? Will some say that they don't want to be regimented but want to go with the flow? Can you say "Cool, but we will be at Epcot tomorrow."

You may want to have a day where the families split up and do their own things. The family of 2 kids may want to help with the family of 8 sometimes, but sometimes not.

Another idea is to find out from each kid what ride or character they like the best and try to do at least one thing for each kid.

We personally have done the "big family does WDW" trip and it's total mayhem. Here is my food for thought.

1. Be ready to go separate directions. I would even mention that it could mean different smaller groups go to different parks. If, by the time you go, park hopping is available, is that something that would be important to you?

2. Traveling with babies is hard. They may only last in the parks a few hours. My kids never really liked the stroller so once they were pooped out, we had to be done. Is someone in the group going to give the parents a bit of a reprieve so they too can enjoy the vacation?

3. Meals could be hard. Be ready to be super flexible with that (learned the hard way).

4. Travel separately! Let those with the babies have a break in LA, but those that want to finish the journey can go straight to MCO.

5. Does everyone want to stay in the same resort? Is it within budget or are you planning on using your points for everyone?

While it is fun to go with a large group, there is a lot to think about. Be sure to have a few family meetings beforehand. :magnify:

How long will the trip be in total? If you DO decide to stop in LA either on the way TO Orlando or on the way back home to Australia, you could do 2 or 3 days at Disneyland for a fun comparison. If you opt to do that, save money on your lodging and stay at one of the hotels along Harbor Blvd. Best Western Park Place Inn is <5 min walk to the Disneyland & California Adventure main entrances and they include free breakfast.

Then you can fly on Southwest Airlines from either LAX, the Santa Ana airport, or Long Beach airport to Orlando (and Southwest doesn't charge for luggage up to 2 bags per ticketed passenger).

Re: OKW - I haven't stayed there, but I've heard that the bus service at that resort can be frustrating.

What time of year is your trip?

Re: travel together or travel separately - there's no right or wrong answer here. The parents of the 8 children might find it helpful to have you travel with them so they have an extra 2 sets of hands to help them on the long trip over there.

When you arrive at your destination, everybody will have jet lag for a couple of days. So plan on taking it easy for those first couple of days. It might take the toddlers/preschoolers a few days to adjust to the new time zone.

Whenever we've gone on a Disney trip, the rule for our immediate family is everybody gets to pick one "must do thing" for the trip. For example, for YDD, it's usually "I want to ride Splash Mountain or Fast Choo Choo" (aka BTMRR). For DH, it's "I want to ride Pirates of the Caribbean." Try to do those "must do" things early in the trip.

And then the attitude/mindset that we all have is that once your "must do" thing is achieved, then EVERYTHING ELSE is icing on the cake.

If somebody in your group thinks that everyone HAS to spend every waking moment with everyone else, then you all are going to have a totally miserable time. You should EXPECT that everyone will need some down time from everybody else regularly during the trip.

You should also expect that at some point, sometimes frequently, ALL of the children will have moments where they are grumpy, cranky, ornery, and not fun to be around.

You might also expect that the grandparents might not have as much energy as the kids & parents do.

1 family might be a "up at the crack of dawn" crowd while the others are a sleep-in family. TALK about this ahead of time amongst all of the adults. Figure out how you'll handle that.

I think that you should advise the parents to plan on a max of 2 days in a row of park days, followed by 1 rest day. If you can afford it and if it's operational when you go, on one of those rest days, have dinner at the Hoop Dee Do Revue at Fort Wilderness.

Come up with a game plan with the parents for handling little ones who can't ride the thrill rides yet while also accommodating the older kids who want to do roller coasters all afternoon.

Decide whether you all want to go into the same park together each day or if you'll do something like alternate (i.e., 1 day at a park together, the next day everybody does their own thing). After a few days spending so much time together, you will all start to wear on each others' nerves. For example:
  • arrival & day after arrival in US - no parks. Rest, go to pool.
  • day 3 - 1st day at a park. Plan on ONE meal together. Maybe everybody goes on ONE or TWO rides together. Take a big family photo in front of the castle. Then you split up.
  • day 4 - Epcot, for example. Good options for stuff to do together would be Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, Frozen Ever After (pretty sure you can take toddlers on these sorts of attractions). Take big family photo somewhere. Eat a meal together (Sunshine Seasons, for example, for QS to save on $$). Then split up.
  • Day 5 - day off, no parks today. Good day to plan some other activities for kids of various ages. For example, there's archery lessons at Fort Wilderness. Or horseback riding. Or rent a canoe or kayak. Or rent a boat for an hour. Fill in with pool time + movie night outside (most of the resorts have this).
  • Lather, rinse, repeat.
Make a plan with the parents so each set of parents gets 1 date night, if possible, without children. That'll make their day, heck it'll make their year.

Speaking on getting on each others' nerves, all of the adults, if possible, need their own bedrooms so that you don't have to listen to them snoring and vice versa. You're not used to having roommates like that day in, day out and neither are they. You'll all have a better time together on the trip if you can manage the sleeping accommodations like that.

Some additional random thoughts:

• The family w/8 kids might appreciate (well, the parents might appreciate) going to a nearby outlet mall to do some clothes shopping. I've heard that prices are often considerably less expensive in the US than in Australia. If you opt to do this with a stop-over in LA, there are a couple of outlet malls near Disneyland and you can take a shuttle bus or an Uber or Lyft to the outlet mall. Pack ONE suitcase and then buy a suitcase while in the US and stock it up with the stuff you'll bring back home from your shopping.
  • A Disney trip is a great way for children to start to learn how to budget their own spending money. So you could, for example, gift each grandchild with a certain amount of $$ as their own spending money for the trip. It doesn't have to be a huge amount.
  • If possible, each parent should go on a ride with each of their kids as a little mini-kid-parent 'date.' Preferably ride of the kid's choosing, but on a WDW trip with a large group, that might be hard.
  • You and all the parents should expect to be pretty tired for a good portion of the trip. LOL. Seriously.
  • Consider setting a rule where if you've all agreed to meet somewhere at a certain time, then you will wait for, let's say, 5 min past that time for late comers. And then you're moving onto the next "thing" that you're going to do. Use text messaging or an app on your phones which can use Disney's wifi to communicate to the late comers where you're going next and they can catch up. Otherwise, at some point, EVERYONE will end up angry at each other for having to wait for people (I'm speaking from experience here).
  • If somebody is tired and wants to leave early, let them leave and set the expectation ahead of time that there aren't any hard feelings.
  • Expect that you will have to adjust SOMETHING every day.
  • People in the group who are light sleepers should download a white noise app to their phones and use it (for example, people like me who will wake up to the sound of a mouse fart).

Ah yes-the memory of long distance flights with my 2 yr old high activity level twin daughters. The memory of the stress when you know they are bothering passengers during sleep time and not able to quiet them down short of duck taping them to the seats and tape strips across their mouths. The facial expression on the poor women that had the bad luck to be sitting beside that then had water spilled on her after a sleepless night. The embarrassing visit from the stewardess scolding that people are trying to sleep. I apologize to those people still but then we arrive and have a wondrous time at WDW creating memories that will last for a life time. I would share some of that joy with those passengers if I could.

If you are on a flight and a small child is disturbing other passengers then I can almost guarantee that the parents of that child are the most stressed people on the flight. I remember and so always provide moral support and good vibes to a parent dealing with a child on a flight that may be disturbing others.

I was on a flight outside the US a number of years ago with a mother and fussy baby across the aisle. The mother pulled out a bottle of cognac and put some in a bottle with milk. Shortly the baby was sleeping restfully.

hi there,

Thanks so much to everyone who has added something for me to think about. This pandemic has thrown a wrench into the works, so it will be September 2022 (with vaccine's) for us to take the crew.

This then also allows the youngest two to be 2.5 yrs, and the eldest 3 will be 15,14,13 so they can help mum and dad with the younger siblings.

The husband and I normally fly business, so we def wont be traveling on the same flight as the crowd (can you imagine the 10 grandkids knowing pa is up front LOL....he would not get any rest, and the other pax would not be impressed).

The reason we think OKW is the use of DVC points and trying to stretch them out, as we will need 4 x studios (cheaper than 2 x2 brms)...also DH needs his own space (yes we are getting old).

We are thinking of sending both groups at different points of the trip for 5 nights Universal, splitting the group up, allowing one family 4-5 days with ma and pa, and maybe 3 days overlap with the entire 16 people (oh god). I think 3 days of organized chaos may be all we can deal with. Short sweet and to the point. This will be the most expensive part of the trip if we are doing character dining, gift shops for 10 kids, and meals.

So it would be 8-10 nights Disney each family , 5 nights universal/ SeaWorld for each group (staying off site), then ma and pa (us) 7 nights BLT by ourselves to recover :)

We may fly all of them through Fiji, and give them an option of a few nights layover, or a direct with Qantas to DFW, one night layover, then on to MCO. Or maybe with Air new Zealand and a layover in Houston ....who knows. The entire family may be traveling diff airlines depending on itinerary preferences.

Thank for the suggestion re southwest, I didn't know about the luggage allowance, we normally do delta first so this is a brave new world :)

We wont rent a car (bus), we will try to just survive with Disney transport, but hey, that's half the fun. And the older 3 GK's will be old enough to catch the bus by themselves to meet ma and pa, or go to a park if they have to without the rest of the family.

Exciting times ahead, if we ever get to leave the country again.

Stay safe

hi there,

Thanks so much to everyone who has added something for me to think about. This pandemic has thrown a wrench into the works, so it will be September 2022 (with vaccine's) for us to take the crew.

This then also allows the youngest two to be 2.5 yrs, and the eldest 3 will be 15,14,13 so they can help mum and dad with the younger siblings.

The husband and I normally fly business, so we def wont be traveling on the same flight as the crowd (can you imagine the 10 grandkids knowing pa is up front LOL....he would not get any rest, and the other pax would not be impressed).

The reason we think OKW is the use of DVC points and trying to stretch them out, as we will need 4 x studios (cheaper than 2 x2 brms)...also DH needs his own space (yes we are getting old).

We are thinking of sending both groups at different points of the trip for 5 nights Universal, splitting the group up, allowing one family 4-5 days with ma and pa, and maybe 3 days overlap with the entire 16 people (oh god). I think 3 days of organized chaos may be all we can deal with. Short sweet and to the point. This will be the most expensive part of the trip if we are doing character dining, gift shops for 10 kids, and meals.

So it would be 8-10 nights Disney each family , 5 nights universal/ SeaWorld for each group (staying off site), then ma and pa (us) 7 nights BLT by ourselves to recover :)

We may fly all of them through Fiji, and give them an option of a few nights layover, or a direct with Qantas to DFW, one night layover, then on to MCO. Or maybe with Air new Zealand and a layover in Houston ....who knows. The entire family may be traveling diff airlines depending on itinerary preferences.

Thank for the suggestion re southwest, I didn't know about the luggage allowance, we normally do delta first so this is a brave new world :)

We wont rent a car (bus), we will try to just survive with Disney transport, but hey, that's half the fun. And the older 3 GK's will be old enough to catch the bus by themselves to meet ma and pa, or go to a park if they have to without the rest of the family.

Exciting times ahead, if we ever get to leave the country again.

Stay safe
I hope you guys have a fabulous trip! Sometimes the planning is just as fun as the trip itself for me. Might just be me though lol.
Just a heads up that OKW doesn’t have elevators in all the buildings. We are waiting until DD doesn’t need a stroller anymore to do OKW for that reason.

Hello again,

So much has changed since I last posted.

I am now taking 12 of us September 2022, this year, managed to secure 3 x standard studios at home (BLT) for the 10 days. The stress of that alone was enough to make me rethink my life choices.

I am planning on flying us into MCO around 6 am, but we don't check in till 4 pm, what do you suggest regarding:
  1. Transport to/from WDW from MCO with 12 people
  2. Activities and tips for dealing with 8 kids after a long haul international & domestic flight until we check in. Can we use the pool showers or do you think we could use the gym facilities at contemporary?
Any hints would be great.

Stay safe everyone.

Oh my goodness I'm exhausted for you just reading this thread lol. But what a wonderful gift for your family!
You will have access to the resort spaces, just not your room so maybe plan for the pool immediately, and then lunch at Contempo Cafe or someplace...We've never used the pool showers...
I know people who actually book one room for one night BEFORE they arrive, so they can use a room once they arrive in the am and have a bath/shower/nap etc and request late check out- but that may not be an option.
Maybe if you notify them that you're having such a long journey you'd get some pixie dust and one of the rooms could be ready early?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter