Big Island before or after Aulani?

erin1715

DIS Veteran
We are four adults hoping to head to Aulani in Summer 2018, and plan to visit the Big Island for probably 4 nights.

My instinct is to do Aulani at the end just because I want to end at a lovely Disney resort and relax a bit (though we do plan to do a little sightseeing while there as well).

On the Big Island, we definitely want to do VNP but my parents are going with us and mentioned that the first full day we get there we will probably just want to relax, maybe go to the beach and kind of settle in. Any recommendations for places to say on the Big Island (preferably beachfront)?

So, what say you?

What else do you plan on doing? I’d pick a hotel based on what side of the island had the most activities you’re interested in.

What else do you plan on doing? I’d pick a hotel based on what side of the island had the most activities you’re interested in.

I don't really know yet, haha. I need to research what else there is to do there.

I don't really know yet, haha. I need to research what else there is to do there.
Yes, I wouldn't make any hotel choices until you map that out. Oahu is 600 square miles and the Big Island is 4,000 square miles. Planning and timing is much more important there than Oahu.

I'm having a hard time coming up with where we want to stay on the Big Island. IMO, the main reason to go there is to see VNP, however, my parents will be going with us and mentioned that the first full day will be a relaxing one with perhaps the beach. I think my dad is envisioning a hotel on the beach but there isn't exactly anywhere near VNP with that characteristic, from what I'm finding. Most of the beachy resorts are near Kona and that's a couple hour drive to the VNP.

I'm almost ready to say the heck with the Big Island and just go to Maui which looks to have some of the most beautiful beaches and scenery. Ahhh, planning for WDW is SO much easier!

I'm having a hard time coming up with where we want to stay on the Big Island. IMO, the main reason to go there is to see VNP, however, my parents will be going with us and mentioned that the first full day will be a relaxing one with perhaps the beach. I think my dad is envisioning a hotel on the beach but there isn't exactly anywhere near VNP with that characteristic, from what I'm finding. Most of the beachy resorts are near Kona and that's a couple hour drive to the VNP.

I'm almost ready to say the heck with the Big Island and just go to Maui which looks to have some of the most beautiful beaches and scenery. Ahhh, planning for WDW is SO much easier!

If having a beach day when you first arrive is important, then go Oahu first and the Big Island after.

If having a beach day when you first arrive is important, then go Oahu first and the Big Island after.
I agree. Yes, I'd want to do Aulani last to relax (we did), but if you need that relaxing up front, I'd do Aulani first. I wouldn't trade Maui for the big island if you really want to see lava. That was my priority too; we will spend more time on Maui next trip!

We are big resort hoppers, at WDW, and always go to at least two resorts no mater what island we are on.. Our experience is to end the vacation with the nicest place, in this case Aulani, otherwise the end of the vacation is a let down .

I think if you are looking for nice beaches to stay on at the BI, I think you have be very intentional in location choice. My inlaws just came back from there and stayed near the volcanos. They were a bit taken back by how rocky the beaches were in the area they were at (which was due a work conference so they didn't have a choice). They said they wouldn't return to that part of Hawaii. I did a bit of research for my inlaws looking for top 10 things to do on the big island, and found that everything other than the volcanos and Akaka Falls could be done on Oahu. For snorkeling, Oahu has Hanauma Bay, BI has Kealakeku Bay, both have botanical gardens, both have gorgeous beaches, both have stunning scenery. I found the lagoon at Aulani to be among my top 2 favorite beaches on Oahu (we went to about 10 different beaches) so you will definitely have some relaxing beach time while there!

I definitely agree that saving Aulani for last is best. When we visited the BI, we stayed in a lovely bed & breakfast in Volcano. We spent one day at VNP, one in Kona, and one in Hilo, and we did the drive up Mauna Kea. The central location in Volcano made all of that easy. Do you really think your dad really needs to see the beach that day, or is he just saying that because it sounds like something you should do in Hawaii?

We are island hopping (between Maui and Oahu) saving Aulani for last, largely because we know (from experience) that they have a good locker room etc. for use after checkout. So we can get an extra day out of our vacation with a redeye home on our last day. Other hotels may have similar accommodations, but I didn't see anything as good/accessible.

After living on Oahu for two years and having been to Aulani many times, I would recommend saving the resort as the last destination. I can't speak for the Big Island as I have never been, but Oahu has many beautiful amenities to offer, and Aulani is such a treat that I couldn't imagine putting it anything but last. "Save the best for last" most certainly applies here! (Also, Laniwai Spa is fantastic and a perfect way to unwind from your vacation before heading home - I highly, highly recommend it if you can squeeze it in during your stay.) :thumbsup2

After talking about it more with my parents, we are planning on the Big Island first and staying near VNP for about 3 nights and then heading to Aulani for 5 nights. That's the plan for now until I get all the reservations made!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter