Big Kid in a stroller (please don't flame me!)

See I think Hershey is harder than Disney because of the hills. We don't do open to close at Hershey or WDW, to be honest. At WDW, we'll go to the resort to swim, then go back at night. At Hershey, we don't go back because we live twenty minutes away (moved here in 1995, so we've had loads of Hershey Park time).

OP - if you think you need one, get one. Don't worry about what other people think or might say.

I go to Hershey often also and it's HUGE and it's very hilly IMO. I agree with you, definitely much more exhausting than MK.

We started our trip w/o a stroller but after the second day our 7yo just got tired out....and both complained about their bag (but they HAD TO HAVE them)...so anyway we contacted our travel agent and they had a nice size one delivered to our room for $50

We used one on our last trip when I had a 7 year old (about the same height u mentioned, maybe a little taller/bigger) and a 4 year old. I did NOT regret it. My 7 year old used it more. This yer they are 9 and 6 and we are going without a stroller. I am terrified. But I can no longer justify it ... hes almost 54 inches now ... LOL ... We are doing Universal this time so that helps me relax a bit as the parks are smaller, and only 2 and we are doing 4-5 days there so lots of time to go slow and take breaks .... we are thinking of doing one day at MK and that has me a tad stressed ... LOL

Just a note on US, just the Universal side, there is a lot of pavement and very little shade. My husband and I both got heat exhaustion at US. It may seem smaller, but it can be brutal. And then the walk back to the car is loooooooong. So much so, we valet parked the second day, and pretty much stayed at IOA in the shade.

I was talking to an older woman at the resort one day who had a stroller with her. I asked her if she had a grandchild with her. She laughed and said no, she just like to have it to haul her stuff around. Worked for her.

Ok, the post above with the older woman using the stroller to cart her stuff around, is hilarious and awesome. Ha

Thank you for all of your advice!! So that's the other thing, my stroller is HOME BASE. What in the heck do people do with all their STUFF without a stroller? So, after reading all your posts, I'm definitely bringing one. My daughter LOVES the stroller. I think she would stay in one through her teen years. She's like a little baby kangaroo (Roo) and loves hopping in and riding around, even at this age. Though she ONLY gets to use it at WDW. We ditched using it daily years ago.

Alrighty then. I'm bringing it. Where else am I going to store drinks, snacks for the squirrels to get into, fans, change of clothes, wipes, snacks, and everything else we buys while running all over the parks? LOL

Ok, the post above with the older woman using the stroller to cart her stuff around, is hilarious and awesome. Ha

Thank you for all of your advice!! So that's the other thing, my stroller is HOME BASE. What in the heck do people do with all their STUFF without a stroller? So, after reading all your posts, I'm definitely bringing one. My daughter LOVES the stroller. I think she would stay in one through her teen years. She's like a little baby kangaroo (Roo) and loves hopping in and riding around, even at this age. Though she ONLY gets to use it at WDW. We ditched using it daily years ago.

Alrighty then. I'm bringing it. Where else am I going to store drinks, snacks for the squirrels to get into, fans, change of clothes, wipes, snacks, and everything else we buys while running all over the parks? LOL

If you really want to pump it up, use this! I just used this for my trip (with a parent console as well). Awesome for waters, drinks, snacks, etc. https://www.skiphop.com/skiphop-on-the-go/VC_400601.html

No one should flame you because we want your kid rested and happy as much as possible so you can enjoy your trip. *smile* Personally I would rather have a wagon but that's just me

Hmmm I wonder why. A train looking wagon would be cool and Walt themed. l It must be some weird safety issue or they're afraid adults will get in them. HA

My brother was 7 and felt sick (either from rides or the heat) and my mom put him in a wheelchair. It fit more things & I don't think he would of agreed to sit in a stroller. I guess it depends on your child.

Want to rent a wheelchair instead of a stroller? That would solve the problem of a stroller being too small.

If things including your luck work out just right your kid may be embarrassed sitting in the wheelchair so (s)he immediately outgrows the need or desire for a stroller.

You will need to have the discipline to not use any handicapped facilities such as special bus queues so your child does not experience extra benefits by using the wheelchair.

If your kid(s) are consistently tired by mid-day or sooner then perhaps you are walking too fast.

Disney regards objects dragged behind you (like wagons) to be safety problems. Strollers, rollabrators, and like equipment is pushed in front and always visible to the person propelling it.

Last edited:
Hmmm I wonder why. A train looking wagon would be cool and Walt themed. l It must be some weird safety issue or they're afraid adults will get in them. HA
Because strollers are hard enough to maneuver through crowds without running people over....wagons would be a disaster if everyone was trying to pull them around.

You guys just made me think of something and chuckle with horror. Can you imagine guests on scooters trying to rig a wagon to pull it? Oh my! Wagons banned is a good idea lol

I promise you will see children older than 7 in a stroller. I took a double for an 11, 9 and 7 year old. It made our trip much more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. The 11 year old and 7 year old rode frequently and the 11 year old even napped. Check the stroller rental sites you will find a stroller big enough for your child.

I promise you will see children older than 7 in a stroller. I took a double for an 11, 9 and 7 year old. It made our trip much more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. The 11 year old and 7 year old rode frequently and the 11 year old even napped. Check the stroller rental sites you will find a stroller big enough for your child.
You must have arms of steel. I cannot imagine pushing an 11 year old in a stroller.

You must have arms of steel. I cannot imagine pushing an 11 year old in a stroller.

At 11 she was probably the size of a 9 year old. She is just about 13 now and about 72 lbs. We are now stroller free, but I'm sure she would ride if someone would push her.

I can't imagine why anyone would "flame" you. Seems like it's no one's business what you decide but I understand wanting some perspective so I'll give you my experience :)
We have a 7.5 and 6 year old and we had strollers for both of them. I can't even count how many times DH and I looked at each other and said, "thank goodness we have strollers!" The biggest reason we needed them was because the crowds are CRAAAAZY. Even at a "low crowd" time.. we totally would have lost them. It was so nice to have them in the stroller and know they were safe, close to us, and we didn't have to constantly nag them to "keep up!". They also fell asleep every night on the way back to the parking lot. And trying to carry big kids for an hour (because that's how long it takes to get back to our car) is nuts. It was also so great to have something to carry all of our stuff as well, we packed lunches and I took professional photography gear (tripod, heavy camera and 3 lenses) so it was totally a necessity for so many reasons and I never once felt awkward about it or that people were judging us. I think there are tons of reasons to take a stroller no matter what your kids age.

Yep, the last time we used one was when the kids were something like 11, 8, 8. Our twins aren't small either. We also put our food bag (we bring all of our own food in) on the stroller too. Fully loaded, it weighed something around 200lbs, maybe a bit more. Really wasn't all that big of a deal, but hills were tough. DW and I are really into exercise and workouts, so we didn't mind anyway.

We still have a gear stroller. Since we pack our own food, the bag is extremely large and can get heavy. Instead of carrying it around, we stick it in the seat of the stroller. Works fantastic!

My daughter is 7 years old, 48 inches tall and about 50 pounds. Very average for her age. We have ALWAYS brought a stroller to the parks. Last year (October '17) she was a little too big, but believe me when I say I was SO GLAD I had it. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks, and I am on the fence on whether to get the stroller for her!! What have others done? And taking breaks throughout the park, yes- will be helpful, but as soon as we start moving she will certainly complain. Plus, I want her to be able to last all night like we usually do, and I know if she's walking all day she will poop out much earlier. Strollers allow me to get her through the park without complaints, she is able to keep cool under the canopy, we last much longer, and let's be honest- all of this makes for a better trip/experience.
What have you all done in this situation? At what age was the stroller banished? What are your thoughts/experiences with 'too big' kids in a stroller? And most important- what was your experience like once you ditched the stroller?
*I will add that it's just myself and my daughter traveling on this trip. So there are no other kids to manage or adults to help.
Thank you!

Do whatever works for you and don't worry about what anybody else thinks about what you are doing.

When my daughter was that age, she was definitely on the small side, and we had our 9 month old with us as well. Yes, there were times that I put the baby in the sling and let her ride in the stroller. It was worth it to us to have her happy rather than melting down and miserable.

Maybe you can bring the stroller, park it early in the day, have her walk and then later in the day if she gets tired and needs a rest, go back to where the stroller is parked and let her ride for a while.

My biggest regret once we decided we didn't need the stroller anymore was that I no longer had an easy place to stash the 'stuff' like our sweatshirts without having to carry them. In fact, I have a friend whose kids are all teenagers now, and she still keeps the stroller in the back of her van and when they go somewhere like Six Flags or a fair, she throws all their stuff in the stroller and pushes it around. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter