Bike Riding at Old Key West

need2travel

DIS Veteran
Has anyone rented bikes at OKW recently? We've never stayed here but have been wanting to check out the resort & dine at Olivia's & we thought biking might be a fun way to see the resort. Is it a good place to bike-nice views/scenery/good pathway? Thanks in advance!!

I stayed at Old Key West in August and actually flew my bike down to cycle around all of Disney. I know that is more than you mean, but my room was the furthest from the amenities and I biked back and forth rather than walk or wait for the bus. So, I know the resort from a two wheeled perspective.

Everything you need to see at Old Key West resort is right around the lobby. The rest of the grounds is just two quiet pools and resort rooms. It would be a waste of money to rent one of their bikes.

So, definitely eat at Olivia’s and walk the immediate area to see the pool, store, hammocks, etc. Then take a 5-minute walk down the main road and back. You’ll see everything you need at Old Key West without renting a bike.

After your meal and to make the trip more worthwhile, you could take the OKW boat to Disney Springs and then a bus back to your own resort. The boat trip would certainly be a better use of time than the bike.

Your ride missed the 3rd quiet pool and the snack bar and play ground at Turtle Shack area.

Last edited:
We rented one of those surrey bikes at OKW one afternoon and had a nice time riding around. It's so much nicer than doing it at the BW because OKW is pretty flat. Sidewalks end suddenly and cross the road in a few places and you have to watch out for cars.

There is a path near the South Point pool that leads to Disney Springs. I don't think you can ride bikes on it, but you can take a nice stroll down the path during daylight hours. It's just under a mile long. And you have to keep off the cart paths.

has anyone ever rented a bike for a week or more to have at resort for outside bike shop

I stayed at Old Key West in August and actually flew my bike down to cycle around all of Disney. I know that is more than you mean, but my room was the furthest from the amenities and I biked back and forth rather than walk or wait for the bus. So, I know the resort from a two wheeled perspective.

Everything you need to see at Old Key West resort is right around the lobby. The rest of the grounds is just two quiet pools and resort rooms. It would be a waste of money to rent one of their bikes.

So, definitely eat at Olivia’s and walk the immediate area to see the pool, store, hammocks, etc. Then take a 5-minute walk down the main road and back. You’ll see everything you need at Old Key West without renting a bike.

After your meal and to make the trip more worthwhile, you could take the OKW boat to Disney Springs and then a bus back to your own resort. The boat trip would certainly be a better use of time than the bike.

I'd like to hear how riding around WDW was.

I could see biking around SSR, OKW, and Port Orleans resorts. But the resorts would be as far as I would want to go.

has anyone ever rented a bike for a week or more to have at resort for outside bike shop
You are pretty much limited to the resort for bike riding. You aren't permitted on the roads unless you don't mind getting between a couple of buses. Plus I wouldn't trust these people who rent a car to get around and they aren't familiar with WDW roads.

We rented bikes at OKW, enjoyed biking around the resort then biked by the canal to SSR. After exploring SSR on bikes we biked to Disney Springs, locked the bikes at a rack after the bridge but before entering DS, and enjoyed lunch and some shopping. Then we biked back to OKW. It was very nice, and I'd definitely do it again.

ETA: Check out this video of a similar bike trip (not very recent though):

Last edited:
We rented bikes at OKW, enjoyed biking around the resort then biked by the canal to SSR. After exploring SSR on bikes we biked to Disney Springs, locked the bikes at a rack after the bridge but before entering DS, and enjoyed lunch and some shopping. Then we biked back to OKW. It was very nice, and I'd definitely do it again.

ETA: Check out this video of a similar bike trip (not very recent though):
I so want to do this one day when we stay at OKW. Looks like so much fun. Would have to be on a trip with very comfortable temps.

Man..... You missed the lovely path from OKW along the canal to Saratoga then Disney Springs?
I assume you were biking on the roads around WDW as well we're you? How was it? I'm a cyclist myself, road, mountain and mountain e bike. Florida is very flat compared to Yorkshire UK, but I'd like to have a good run out on the road bike if there are suitable rides of 20-30 miles?

I assume you were biking on the roads around WDW as well we're you? How was it? I'm a cyclist myself, road, mountain and mountain e bike. Florida is very flat compared to Yorkshire UK, but I'd like to have a good run out on the road bike if there are suitable rides of 20-30 miles?

Here is my trip report. I rode before dawn to avoid traffic. However, if you look at Strava, local cyclists seem to ride through and round Disney any time of day. If you ride during business hours, you need to be very comfortable in traffic, have a good rear light, and know which roads are off limits (roads blend into highways).

https://www.disboards.com/threads/cycling-disney-world-is-amazing-at-3-30am.3769008/#post-61055851
I will definitely bring my bike again.

Here is my trip report. I rode before dawn to avoid traffic. However, if you look at Strava, local cyclists seem to ride through and round Disney any time of day. If you ride during business hours, you need to be very comfortable in traffic, have a good rear light, and know which roads are off limits (roads blend into highways).

https://www.disboards.com/threads/cycling-disney-world-is-amazing-at-3-30am.3769008/#post-61055851
I will definitely bring my bike again.
Ya this is great for the professional biker. I will just rent some for a day at Disney doing the OKW, SSR to DS route. But I really like the video.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter