"Bill Maher Calls U.S. Cowardly; FedEx Pulls Ads From Show"

mattjs

Mouseketeer
It'll be interesting to see how Disney (ABC) handles this one. To me Maher's statement is outrageous. As stated in the article, the constitution gives him the right speak as he will, but he doesn't have a right to that show.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/headline/entertainment/1053183

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Maher calls U.S. cowardly; FedEx pulls ads from show
By MIKE McDANIEL
Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle TV Editor

Federal Express ordered its ads removed from the ABC late-night series Politically Incorrect on Tuesday after the show's host referred to recent U.S. military actions as "cowardly."

After receiving complaints from around the country, including Houston, Federal Express reviewed Monday's edition of the show and decided to act, company spokesperson Carla Richards said.

Richards said she did not know how many complaints the company received, but that they were of sufficient quantity to merit the actions the company took.

"The (30-second) ad that runs during that show has been pulled for the indefinite future," Richards said.

Dinesh D'Souza, a panelist on Monday's show, quibbled with a reference made by President George W. Bush that the suicide bombers were cowards, noting that they gave up their lives for whatever may be their cause.

"These are warriors," D'Souza said, "and we have to realize that the principles of our way of life are in conflict with people in the world."

"We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away," said Bill Maher, the host of Politically Incorrect. "That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly."

"I was just appalled," said Dan Patrick, general manager of KSEV (700 AM) and host of a radio talk show. "When you call our men in the (armed forces) cowards and our military policy cowardly, and when you call these hijackers `warriors,' that should not be tolerated."

Patrick urged listeners to call KTRK and urge the station to stop carrying the "irresponsible" program. Other hosts of KSEV talk shows made the same request.

"The First Amendment gives us the freedom of speech, but it does not guarantee anyone a TV show or a TV camera or a radio show, for that matter," Patrick said. "If Bill Maher believes that Americans are cowards and hijackers are warriors, let him go out on the street corner and shout that. But Disney does not have to give him a TV show and Channel 13 does not have to air that show."

KTRK said it received a number of calls -- "in the low hundreds," the station said. The station said it receives triple that amount when it pre-empts a soap opera. It had no further comment.

ABC issued a statement saying, in part, that Politically Incorrect "celebrates freedom of speech and encourages the animated exchange of ideas and opinions. Understandably, this forum can oftentimes arouse intense emotions, especially during such a sensitive time.

"While we remain sensitive to the current climate following last week's tragedy, and continue to do our part to help viewers cope with unfolding events, we have an obligation to offer a forum for the expression of our nation's diverse opinions."

I actually don't find is statments offensive, stupid yes, offensive no. The implication of not being a coward is being brave. As we all have likely been admonished, bravery is not an excuse to be stupid. Sending in troops to die when cruise missles meet our needs is Smart. Bravery doesn't enter in to the equation.
Killing yourself by slamming a plane into a building to make a political point (which considering no-one is taking responsibility is hard to find) is in some sense cowardly in that it is the stupidest way to achieve the goal (Last time I checked, northern Ireland was still in the hands of the british for instance), At the same time, it does certainly take some Cahones to do the act.

To make a long story short, its yet another example of rediculousness in the face of tragedy.

They don't call the show "Politically Incorrect" for nothing.

Whether right or wrong there are a lot of people who have questioned the US's willingness to "get their hands dirty" and I guess that's where comments like these fit in. There are certainly far worse things that could have been said (and have been).

Its a point of view. I agree, That it is a terrible act, I agree that it is the act of weak men (people).

From Dictionary.com
cow·ard (kourd) One who shows ignoble fear in the face of danger or pain. 2. Destitute of courage; timid; cowardly. 3. Belonging to a coward; proceeding from, or expressive of, base fear or timidity.

Please explain based on the above explination how either the terroists or the US Military are or were cowards?
I actually have a take, they were Destitue of courage, A couragous person would be Gahndi. So in that sense and that sense only I agree they were cowards. However, they fit no other definition of the word and therefore Maher is equally right to say they were not cowards (although his comment on the US military was in Error)

Again, I'm not trying to make it sound as if these people were great brave men. They were evil and they Certainly cowardly in the face of the people they were Killing. BUT, to suggest that it isn't some form of bravery to commit the act in the first place. To purposely kill yourself to further your cause. There is a bravery there which we the victims simply can't understand.

The truth is in the eye of the beholder here. Bill Maher is a moron in my opinion, but it did take balls to turn that plane into the towers and we will forever whish that those men DIDN'T have the guts.

Sorry but I disagree with you in the strongest sense possible about it taking some "cahones to do the act".

From what we've heard (and granted it's not all that much) these cowards tied the hands of stewardesses behind there backs and then slit there throats so as to terrify the crew and passengers into submission. Then they flew these planes, full of unarmed civilians, men, woman and children mind you, into two buildings full of unarmed civilians.
And as if that weren't enough, not one of these people or groups that sent these cowards to do this thing can even muster the guts to claim responsibilty.

Sorry YoHO, but you're dead wong on this one, there's no cahones in this thing.

Specifically targetting unarmed civilians and doing so in a way as to maximize the casualties of those civilians doesn't strike me as anything but cowardly. But maybe that's just me.

How bout...

cowardly (adj.) cow·ard·ly

2. characteristic of or befitting a coward; despicably mean, covert, or unprincipled: Example: a cowardly attack on a weak, defenseless man.

The acts of a week ago were cowardly. The fact that those terrorists killed themeselves in the process of that dispicable act does not make it any less one of cowardice.

The US is not cowardly. Al Qaeda is cowardly.

The act of sacrificing your own life for a cause in which you believe is not a cowardly individual act. In comparison, sitting in relative safety and killing by pressing a button, well, I personally can't bring myself to call it cowardly, but I think it's safe to say that it takes significantly less intestinal fortitude for an individual to perform that job.

Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing but the highest respect for our armed forces (and rescue workers. This month, anytime "respect" comes off of my keyboard, expect the words "rescue workers" to be nearby), and nothing but disgust for the terrorists.

But there is a difference in describing a specific job or task as it affects an individual, and describing the morals, values, or overall tendencies of the groups involved.

As a nation, I think we have more important issues to address than whether Bill Maher gets to prattle on any further.

Jeff

Okay, that's weird, at least on my screen, My post in response to Matts was put before his. which makes things confusing. I really don't want to get into a debate about this, since it belittles the tragedy. My only point was (and I stated it very very poorly) that If Disney wishes to allow Bill Maher to express his views on the show, they are fine in doing so, Disney also has the right to NOT let him do it.

It is not at all surprising that Disney would have Maher issue an apology, nor surprising that Sears & FedEx would pull the advertising (though that gets into revenue issues for ABC).

These are unsettled times & in a show like Maher's words should be chosen carefully.

[putting on Moderator hat]Please make sure this thread stays on topic. It is not within the scope of this board to discuss the larger implications of the tragedy in New York and Washington. [removes moderator hat]

Sarangel

Agreed. YoHo you're right. Maher is an unimportant figure on an unimportant show and it belittles the tragedy to spend any time on him at all. He got under my skin and Disney's initial response (or lackthereof) really bugged me.

Maher has a right to speak as he will but as the host of the show he's to some degree a representative of ABC and, as such, Disney as well. Seems now ABC/Disney is maybe taking a stronger position.

Maher is gonna be on Fox News in the 11:00 hour tonight and perhaps he'll clarify then.

Sorry we got off track Sarangel

;)

One last thought on this. I saw Maher's clarification last night and, much to my surprise, I thought he explained himself very well.

As Sarangel said, these are stressful times and likely only getting tougher. Those in the spotlight are going to need to be sure thier words are crystal clear and concise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter