Birthaversary Trip with DxDP - Long

WillowRain

You can find me at Animal Kingdom!
We just got back from Sept 5th to the 13th, Beach Club Villas 2 bedroom (Room 151) with Deluxe Dining Plan. Upon check in, we discovered that Touring Plans room request fax had not made it to the desk. So we got stuck in the last room at the end of the weird hall, ground floor. Was not thrilled about ground floor, but the backyard was kind of peaceful. My husband sat out and smoked on the porch every day, and it was quiet for him, except for that dang sheet cart that scared us thinking it was thunder every day!!!

The cast member that checked in my mom warned her about DxDP. She said you will eat, and then eat, and maybe ride a ride, and then eat, watch a show while eating, and eat again before you sleep. Holy cow, I had read the warnings but I really thought we would utilize it. I was SO WRONG you guys! We had 4 adults, 2 7 year olds (they are 11.5 months apart and it was my younger daughters birthday on arrival) and an infant. My 2 year old son suddenly decided he didn't want food, just muffins or cookies. He barely ate a thing the entire trip. A chicken leg or nugget here and there. So me thinking we would get ahead from him tearing up the buffets was immediately squashed. The girls ate a decent amount, so that was okay. My mom and grandma however, started skipping meals because they were full. Then my husband and I too. Go to the beach club marketplace for a meal, and Oh, it includes a snack, so then we grab them cause hey, I am totally going to use those snack credits later.

We were given 96 snack credits and 144 meals. Night we arrived we ate at Akershus. Not impressed. The buffet was gross, nothing the kids would eat. The pork I got was pink inside so I requested to swap for the meatballs. They were okay. Went across to Kringra and got the school bread, the viking mousse and the Anna birthday cupcake, as it was my daughters 7th birthday. School bread was gross, I was so sad! We rode Frozen, and then watched Illuminations. I do like how easy it was to get a spot. The show, meh. I had looked forward to seeing it for years, and it was fine, but not super exciting. We went home and slept early.

Day 2 was at MK. Bus was a little late, nothing that put a damper on the day. We got a quick sandwich at Starbucks on the way in. Crowds were low that morning and it was nice. We did Space with FP, TTA, Buzz, and then made our way over to Splash. FP at 11. We have to rider swap everything, so my girls get to go twice. My oldest got soaked on Splash and was mad, she doesn't like having wet pants, so she did not go with Dad again on that lol. We did Thunder, got a Dole whip, and then went back to the hotel for a rest. Swam in the DVC pool, and then headed back for dinner at BOG, celebrating my other daughters 8th birthday which is the 19th. Loved the food! I had the escargot, and the filet. So good! Dessert there is majorly lacking though. It was all mediocre. How you can have this awesome dinner and then gross dessert makes me sad. After dinner we rode Ariel and small world, and headed out before fireworks started, as we were registered for the VIPassholder event. The kids were tired so we put them to bed and went alone. It was okay. DJ was fun, but we only got 1 ride in on TT, got some venison meatballs at New Zealand, and went home.

Day 3: AK. BUSSES....Hate them. Only reason we needed to take the bus was my mom and grandma are on ECV's. We missed the one we were heading out to by 1 min. So it said 20 til the next one, which pushed back to 30, then 38, 45 mins later a bus came, said it had 1 ECV already and couldn't take us. I was mad. One pulled up right after thankfully and we got on. So wanting to be there before opening, trying to leave at 8 am, we got in the park at 9:15. That seems unacceptable to me with the amount of money we spend to be there.

Had FP for Navi, walked around the land and then it was already time for lunch at Tusker ROL package. LOVE Tusker. Will eat there every trip. The interactions are great, the food, the conga line, all amazing. We got there at 11 so it was between breakfast and lunch, best of both worlds. The Caramel Pecan tarts were one of the best desserts I have had there. Then up to Safari, FP for Kali, which I had never been on, surprised it's so short and nothing like Grizzly River Run! FP for EE, our favorite. I stuck my mom and grandma in the Nemo show to get them out of the heat. Went to dinoland and did standby for Dino. Dad and baby went home for a rest, met us at Flame Tree for dinner. We ordered 3 adult plates to share the 5 of my family, still way too much food. We then went back to Dinoland and danced at the Bash truck, kids loved it. Then went over to watch ROL and went home. Busses luckily were not as bad to get home, but hubs had drove my mom's car back, so I took the kids and grandma in the car and they took the bus back. My grandma is 93, and has a touch of dementia going on. So it was a fun ride home, her asking me if my mom knew that I was taking her somewhere. I told her yes, she's with my husband and they are riding the bus home. Oh, okay. Are you taking me home? Well, to the hotel we are staying at. A hotel? But I don't have a toothbrush or any clothes, she says in a panic. I assured her we had been there for a few days and all her stuff was there. Oh, okay. Good times guys, good times.

Day 4: Epcot. Entered IG at 9 am to an empty park. Got a donut, walked to TT with FP. By the time we did rider swap it was time for lunch at Garden Grill already. Cute place, totally empty!!! I don't understand how I was having a hard time adjusting reservation times at these places that had no people in them?!? Like there were only 5 tables sat while we ate. Rode LWTL, over to Nemo, up to Figment and back to hotel for a rest before the rain hit. Of course, pool was closed by the time we got home, so we went to the small pool again. Went back to Epcot for dinner at Rose and Crown. Had the scotch egg and the Chicken masala. Both very good. Sticky toffee pudding dessert. Loved this place and would eat here again. Epcot was extremely busy this night, even with the rain. Drinks in everyones hands! Dad and I put the kids to bed early again and went over to MK, drove. Rode Thunder a few times and then over to the Contemp for my flourless chocolate cake. I got 5 to go! I love that stuff.

Day 5: Sunday morning we slept in a bit. Woke up and went to Epcot for Soarin. Ate at the Sunshine and split a plate and a sticky bun with me and the kids. Standard blah food. Rode Soarin, LWTL again, Spaceship earth, spent some time in Mexico, bummed around world showcase for a bit and then went home for rest. Got some sandwiches and flatbread at the Marketplace. We had Halloween party so we just stayed in and watched tv, I napped. We had dining at Crystal Palace at 6:30. It was okay. Desserts were great! We dressed as Piglet, Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger and Christopher Robin, so we HAD to eat here! Got some super cute photos. It poured while we ate and came out to soaking wet carts. My Grandma was freaked out so mom took her home. What a waste of money. I felt terrible. The kids and I put on the ponchos and did our thing. Got some candy, not a lot. We were able to ride Space (Holy cow that was scary all dark like that), rode Thunder, POTC (can someone confirm the smells being pumped in?), Tea Cups, and then the girls and I jumped in line for 7d at about 11:45. Despite the rain, it was SO packed!!! I was disappointed in how many people were there. Walkways were jam packed and it felt less crowded during the day on Thursday! Got HM cream puff, gross. Flavorless. Didn't get to do any characters, no time. Parade was very cool! Would not pay to do this again however, once is enough. Took a Minnie Van home which was super easy to get. Love that they have park music in the car!

Day 6: Monday, we were to eat at Boma, but there was no way I was getting my kids up and out the door by 730 when we got home at 1230. Instead we had a snack at the hotel (because of course my mom still brought food even with the DxDp), rode FoP, and I ate at the Satuli for brunch (Cheeseburger pods were kind of gross, but the chips that came with them were decent, and the blueberry cake was really good) then got them burgers in Dinoland at about 11. Did EE, Dinosaur, PW, and then we were hot and decided to head in. More pool time, then dinner at Via Napoli. Yet another place that I heard was amazing, it was okay. I got fried artichoke app, the Carciofi Pizza white pizza - artichoke, fontina, mozzarella, truffle oil. It was okay. The gelato sundae, wow that was amazing. My son ate his entire cup! I had gotten a FP for TT, but a storm came in and they closed it, so we headed in for the night as we were to be up at 5:30 for the Toy Story land AP preview.

I was extremely tired at this point, and was setting my alarm, and fell asleep while doing so. And so my alarm was set for 5:30 PM...

Day 7: We woke up at 6:45, supposed to be at HS at 7 am for this AP thing. I will forever kick myself for missing this, as I heard it was 10 min wait for SDD for the whole 2 hours. So mad. Walked to HS from the beach club, mistake. That stinking detour from the walking path, it took us almost 40 mins to walk!!!!!!! I was really mad now. We could have just drove and been there in 10. We got there right at 9, wait times up to 60 already. We had a FP for SDD at 10, so we did get to ride, but it would have been much nicer to have been there when it was empty. TOT was first at 9, then SDD, then Aliens, which luckily a CM let us use the pre-loaded pass after I told her how I felt like a terrible mother. So at least the kids got to do both the new rides. Then we had a RNR, but it went down for an hour, so we decided to just use the any pass for Star Tours. My 7 year old was really sad because this was going to be her first time on RnR. It came back up but the wait immediately went to an hour, so I lied and told her it was still down. We left and came home, on the boat this time, fam went to the pool and I stayed back and started packing some things. We went to Biergarten for dinner, our favorite, and sadly I was underwhelmed this time. The food was just not as good as last time for some reason. The kids still had fun dancing though. Best part of dinner was when Grandma complained that our server was taking forever to bring her food, this was after she had gotten salads at the buffet. We laughed so hard. I feel bad but the way she says things, we just have to laugh about it. We went over to TT again, decided to try single rider so we could bypass the room. Mistake, took 40 mins. This was the day that MDE was down all day, and when I checked, it DID NOT say that EPCOT had EMH!!!! I was so mad when we went back to the hotel room and see that they DID have EMH!!!! What the heck? We had a night swim instead. I went down the waterslide, which is terrifying btw. Will not be doing that again. Went to bed around 11.

Day 8: MK. Went to The Wave for breakfast at 8. WOW!!!! Amazing food there. The sweet potato pancakes alone were worth it. They are amazing. They had the standard mickey waffles, bacon eggs etc, but also biscuits and gravy and tons of fresh fruit. Like berries instead of just melon, and yogurt and muffins and we will be eating here again. Walked to MK, we took an Uber to the Contemp. Rode a few things, and then hopped on the monorail to Epcot, as I needed to get my AP shirt and cutting boards and such. Got all that and then walked back to the hotel, got some food in Brazil along the way. Crispy pork belly, yum. Then we freshened up went back to MK. Instead of the bus, we decided tos ee how long it would take to walk through to park to the Monorail. Wrong choice. It took about an hour and 10 mins to get to MK this way. We arrived at CRT right at our 5:35 reservation time, but it still took about 30 mins to get seated. The view was not what I thought it would be. Carousel covered with tarps and the crane with the walls there. The food was just okay, nothing amazing. I was kind of sad!!! But, not we can say we have done it and that's that. The kids had fun and that's all that matters. This was our anniversary day, and they brought us all 3 a special cupcake, with candles for the girls and what looked like Elsa cupcakes for us. We were too stuffed to eat them of course. Had the Clock Strikes 12 dessert, adorable presentation. Hubs had the nut encrusted cheesecake, which our server brought an extra of on accident, and he ate that too!!!

Came out of the castle, and it was a truly special moment to get some shots on the castle, at sunset, with no one else around. We then went to find out spot for fireworks. We had a decent view, but then they kept telling us to move and squish in, and we ended up right behind a pole with a Mickey pumpkin on it. I was a little po'd. Could not see the middle of the castle, and the fireworks were pretty much behind a tree. I mean, you can still see most of it, but it's really annoying that they make you do this. We were trying to save a spot for my husband and son too, and people just kept coming in front of us even when I said I was saving the spot. I refuse to stand there for more than an hour, but it's really not fair that others can just jump in like that.

It was EMH this night so we stayed and tried to ride Thunder over and over, but that was only twice because the "10 minute line" was taking way longer than that and I needed to shop still. So, left on the table at this point are 18 snacks and 40 meals. I was saving 6 for the next morning, so I had to convert 34, for a grand total of 120 snacks. I got 66 right then, all the mickey shaped rice krispy treats. That was a HUGE pain to carry with 2 tired girls and a sleeping boy in the stroller. We got out front about 11:15 and tried for a Minnie Van, none found. I tried for 20 mins and gave up. Went over to the bus stop, and got on the 2nd bus, arriving home at 11:55. Kids were drained, we were drained, bus ride home with 60 pounds of treats, 2 sleeping girls on the floor of the bus, and my husband away from us up front was fun. People were super nice though and helped me hold the bags so I could get my son off the step and politely ask others to step over my daughter, who was sleeping on the step!

It was a late night, trying to pack up as much as I could before bed. So my mom had gotten us all gifts in these really nice hard boxes, so I took all the clothes out of the kids luggage and put the hard boxes in, and filled them with treats. Then stuck some clothes around it so it had a cushion. I went down and bought EVEN MORE treats, 24 of the sugar free gummies from Goofy's candy, for my oldests class birthday. STILL had credits left because we only used 4 for breakfast, so my mom went back after we left to purchase the rest. Got some to go meals and finished packing, got our LyftXL at about 945 and got to MCO at 10:30. No line for TSA, packed all the treats in the checked bags as I had heard they were being weird about checking food. Um, I had 1 small bag with jerky and granola bars, they did not say a thing! So I was kinda made cause I left some perishable snacks behind that I probably could have brought!!

The lesson learned here, is unless you are prepared to feel disgustingly full on vacation, DO NOT purchase the Deluxe plan! I think we would have done okay with DDP, and had just a few credits left. But the fact that most meals come with dessert or apps and snacks I mean, how can you ever use the snack credits? The last few days we started using them for waters just to dwindle them down. I literally gained 4 pounds, with walking 10ish miles a day, with all the freaking food I ate!!!!!

Oh my gosh, your trip report sounds like a whirlwind of food and rides and shopping, and more food! I really enjoyed reading it. We love Tusker House too, one of our favorites.

We have gotten the DxDP on all but 2 trips and it works out well for us. We never eat breakfast and make early lunches (11-11:30 am) and later dinners (7:45 pm to 9 pm). We utilize our snack points on items from the F&W kiosks throughout the week. :) Since we never eat breakfast we make our dinner reservations for 2TS meals (Cali Grill, Yachtsman, Narcoossees, Artist Point, Hoop Dee Doo, etc..). This helps us limit the amount of food we actually consume. We get our monies worth by eating at the Signature eateries. We also use the Disney Dining Plan Calculator when we pick out eateries. :)

While I understand this is not for everyone, I figured I would share how we do our trips. We have paid OOP on 2 trips and realized that we missed the DxDP.

We have gotten the DxDP on all but 2 trips and it works out well for us. We never eat breakfast and make early lunches (11-11:30 am) and later dinners (7:45 pm to 9 pm). We utilize our snack points on items from the F&W kiosks throughout the week. :) Since we never eat breakfast we make our dinner reservations for 2TS meals (Cali Grill, Yachtsman, Narcoossees, Artist Point, Hoop Dee Doo, etc..). This helps us limit the amount of food we actually consume. We get our monies worth by eating at the Signature eateries. We also use the Disney Dining Plan Calculator when we pick out eateries. :)

While I understand this is not for everyone, I figured I would share how we do our trips. We have paid OOP on 2 trips and realized that we missed the DxDP.

We realized about half way through that we should have done more 2 credit meals. My husband asked me every time we passed Le Cellier on the way home why we weren't eating there lol. If we ever did it again, and we may before the oldest turns 10, we would absolutely do the Hoop, Aloha and Yachtsman, my son will be 5 by then and hopefully better behaved at the dinner table. Next trip we are driving, so I am stopping at the grocery on the way in and plan to cook most meals, since the BLT kitchen is much more user friendly. We will eat again at The Wave, Tusker, and we will have to rock paper scissors on the Epcot choice as we all like different places. I think maybe it was the heat that made us not as hungry? In January I tore up those buffets!

Here is a rundown of our ADR's for our upcoming trip (only 5 days to go):

Saturday 9/22/18: (L) Via Napoli @ 1 pm, (D) Yachtsman (2TS) @ 7:50 pm (Arrival day which is why we have the 1 pm lunch)

Sunday 9/23/18: (L) Sci-Fi @11 am, (D) Skippers Canteen @ 4:50 pm (MNSSHP Night which is why there is an early reservation)

Monday 9/24/18: (L) Sanaa @11:30 am, (D) California Grill (2TS) @ 7:50 pm (Should be getting desserts around the time HEA starts)

Tuesday 9/25/18: (L) Biergarten @ 12 pm, (D) Rose & Crown Dining room @ 7:55 pm (Should be getting deserts at the start of Illuminations)

Wednesday 9/26/18: (L) Le Cellier (2TS) @ 12:30 pm , (D) Narcoossee's (2TS) @ 7:35 pm (Evening EMH's at MK on this day)

Thursday 9/27/18: (L) Spice Road Table @ 11:30 am, (D) Hoop Dee Doo Revue (2TS) @ 8:30 pm (Category 1 seating on the DxDP for the 8:30 show)

Friday 9/28/18: (L) Chip N Dale Harvest Feast @ 12 pm, (D) Artists Point (2TS) @ 8 pm

Saturday 9/29/18: We will have 1 dining plan meal left each which we'll breakdown into 3 snack credits each. We'll hit up the Canada and Germany kiosks and use those snack points for our departure day lunch. We will also have a few snack credits left (between 3-6) meaning we'll be able to try other kiosks also if we choose to do so. My DW likes bringing home some candy so she'll use 3 snack credits on that.

All in all we started with 28 snack credits and will be using them all in one way shape or form and 42 meal points using 40 of the 42 on actual sit down meals with the final 2 being used as snack points for departure day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter