Birthday trip report! WDW & Fort Wilderness for 8 nights! March 8-16 2019

So, after walking around in AK, we decide to head back to the camper for lunch. Finally I'm relaxed and we're just enjoying BEING AT FREAKING WDW!!! Tomorrow (Monday) is our "official" AK day, so today was just recon.

Time to return to Fort Wilderness and relax a little.

First things first. I need some hot dogs so a quick trip to the trading post is in order. The grill is ready, just need some dogs.

Saw the horse and carriage

Resized_20190310_172725_7081.jpg

Got my "grub" on !!! What fantastic weather !!! We are soaking it in now !!!

Resized_20190310_181040_4844.jpg

Is anyone having fun?

One thing I have noticed on this trip - I don't see a lot of "magic". I'm seeing a lot of stressed out people. I'm not seeing a lot of smiles. I've already seen several parents berating their kids, dragging kids by the arms, general fussing, whining, crying, etc, etc.

Is this the new normal? Are these trips too stressful? It's lots of $$, lots of time, lots of travel, lots of stress! C'mon people, have some fun.

What's wrong with everybody? I'm hear for the magic!! It was sad to see so many frowns.

I decided right there and then to focus on the smiles! Nothing was stealing my fun!!

So we ended the evening watching fireworks and enjoying a quiet boat ride back to the Fort on yet another beautiful evening. This was another fantastic day. We rode the GC back to the camper and settled in for the evening.

Tomorrow is our official AK day!! And the forecast is hot...

So... we roll through NC, SC and enter GA without a hitch. Making good time and enjoying the ride (except I'm stressing over the stabilizers).

Then, i have one of those "eureka" moments and realize all I need is a pair of plain old scissor jacks. Hold on, all I need is a pair of plain old scissor jacks?

Yes, that's what I said.

The DW googles "Camping World on I95" and the Savannah store pops up. Right off the highway and right on the way!

Standing on the roadside, in front of Camping World, I pull one of these out of the box and guess what? Happy Birthday to me, cause the bolt holes line right up and the bolts (from my original stabilizers I brought with me) will work! We're in business!!! Whew, now I can relax and enjoy the trip.

We're 100% again. For the moment anyway...

View attachment 389098
Kind of a PITA that you had to deal with replacing the stabilizers on your Birthday trip but at least you didn't have to pay someone else to do it.

"Is Anyone Having Fun?" Agree X2. Yep, unfortunately this is the new normal in the MK. Sad to see isn't it. But like you we focus on the fun. We have found for the MK doing Rope Drop, head back to the Fort for lunch, and then plan on going back to the MK on an Extra Magic Hours night goes a long way to bringing that "Magic" back.

Last edited:

Good morning from St Augustine Florida! Day #2 and we wake to sunshine and warm temps! Can I stay here forever? (remember it was in the 20's when we left)

We made a quick trip back to the pier to enjoy the sun and take a walk on the beach. I still forgot to take any pics at the KOA...

Okay, time to head to the Fort!

View attachment 389357

View attachment 389358
I know that you didn't take any pics of the KOA but what did you think of it? Would you recommend?

I know that you didn't take any pics of the KOA but what did you think of it? Would you recommend?

Yes, I would recommend it. It's tight, but manageable and all of the staff were great.

It's in a great location only a few minutes straight to the beach! If I return to St Augustine (and we plan to), I would have no problem staying here.

They had a nice lake and some very nice pull through sites with a great view of the water!

2rad4u,

My curiosity is at an all time high, so if may ask-along with the ketchup and mustard, what is that white stuff on your hot dog?

Glad you found some motion sickness meds....now you can ride Flight of Passage :bitelip:.

I don't have motion sickness, but am terrified of heights, so for some reason Primeval Whirl is my NEVER EVER RIDE again ride. I would post the video my sister took, but it is not G rated, heck it's not even PG.

Your trip report is the best, glad you are sharing your adventure with us.:thumbsup2

So after lunch and a quick nap, we're off to MK just for the fun of it. Our "official" MK day is Wednesday, so. again, this is just a recon mission.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who thought this was a cool pic...

View attachment 389604

View attachment 389605

View attachment 389606

Strollers everywhere!!
View attachment 389607

View attachment 389608

View attachment 389609

So you have this great picture of the Castle and all I see are people coming at you that are miserable, no one is smiling.....

So you have this great picture of the Castle and all I see are people coming at you that are miserable, no one is smiling.....

I noticed A LOT of this. Sadly I must say.

Everyone looked like they were getting ready to enter the octagon, not WDW!

TIMEOUT!!! TIME!!!

We have some good news to report today! Lippert Components came through for me and my warranty replacement observation camera (remember this went out on us on day on, my birthday..) and the new stabilizer assembly arrived today!! What a day!

stab1.jpg

Here we are, ready to get the "emergency" stabilizers off!
stab2.jpg

Installed. Just need to finish the wiring. Here it is in "test mode" and they work!!!

stab3.jpg

All done!!!

stab4.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!