Birthday trip report! WDW & Fort Wilderness for 8 nights! March 8-16 2019

Day 10- ends @ the Savannah South KOA!!!

We roll in early so I have time to let the DW lay down and rest. I had reserved a pull thru site and this site was perfect as we didn't have to unhook!!! And, it was level! Park, slides out, stabilizers down and we're chillin!

Resized_20190316_190934_small.jpg

I took a few minutes after getting DW settled in to walk around the campground. It's a very nice place with nice amenities. My favorite? The lake -

Resized_20190316_185704_small.jpg

The swans were so still I thought for a few seconds they weren't real!

Resized_20190316_185643_small.jpg

Resized_20190316_185655_small.jpg

Last edited:
We had a quiet night at the KOA and Sunday morning, Day 11, we closed up the camper for the last time and pointed the Chevy North on I95 and headed home.

We had an uneventful ride home and arrived back in NC in the late afternoon. The DW was REALLY sick by now with full on nausea and a sore throat. She just feeling worse and worse as the day went on. She was miserable and I couldn't do anything for her except DRIVE HOME!

We made it safely home Sunday evening.

My conclusion and wrap up coming next -

I forgot to finish the sickness saga, as it continued well beyond our vacation!

The DW went to the doctor on Tuesday, 2 days after we returned home. She tested positive for STREP THROAT and he said she also had a sinus infection. She was SICK. I mean SICK.

Antibiotics and Prednisone for you young lady!

At this time I'm feeling fine and had returned to my normal routine on Monday (work, gym, selfies, food).

But, during my Thursday night workout I noticed I didn't feel quite as good as usual (sign #1).

By the weekend DW is still bedridden, but I'm okay and continue going to the gym and eating (what can I say, it's my routine).

Now it's Sunday, March 24. We've been home one week and haven't talked about our vacation or decompressed whatsoever. She's sick as a dog and I'm reeling from the circumstances...

By the middle of the next week, the DW is still REALLY sick and the antibiotics are giving here yet another problem! You know what antibiotics do to your stomach....

Now I'm beginning to feel worse and have to stop going to the gym for a few days. I'll get over it I said, I'm tough.

The DW is still no feeling good...

By the NEXT week (yes, believe it or not), I'm getting worse and finally go to the doctor. I'm diagnosed with a SEVERE sinus infection (severe since I waited two weeks before going) and now I get the antibiotic and prednisone treatment. THANKFULLY I did not have a sore throat!

I get my RX's filled and head home and climb into bed (for the next few days). At the doctor I realized how sick I really was and "trying" to be tough wasn't cutting it.

I don't know what the heck we brought back from Florida, but it is wreaking havoc on our lives...

TMI alert!!!!!!!!!!! Details are not for the faint of heart.

Speaking of wreaking havoc, the antibiotics absolutely crushed us both. Today is May 4 and my stomach is just now feeling "normal" again. I had 16 straight days of explosive, ongoing, everlasting, soul crushing, knee weakening, almost non stop "Dia-you-now-what" (not going to say it). It was horrible...

This brought on YET another problem that I ha NEVER experienced in MY LIFE, the dreaded Hem-not-going-to-say-it. You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!

My poor DW had a similar experience. This was worse then the sinus infection to begin with and the aftermath lasted longer....

The whole ordeal crushed our spirits for a good long while :-(

In our November trip - we both got sick Grumpy Aggie had walking pneumonia, I had sinus infection & bronchitis. 1st week of our 3 week vac. was going to the doctor(which we didn’t know). Then 11/30 fell off the steps of our camper & broke my right hip, which I am still recovering. We think we got sick sitting in the damp cold air @ Animal Kindgom. With so many people in the parks, I can see why people get sick

In our November trip - we both got sick Grumpy Aggie had walking pneumonia, I had sinus infection & bronchitis. 1st week of our 3 week vac. was going to the doctor(which we didn’t know). Then 11/30 fell off the steps of our camper & broke my right hip, which I am still recovering. We think we got sick sitting in the damp cold air @ Animal Kindgom. With so many people in the parks, I can see why people get sick

We carry a whole lot of sanitizer with us when we visit the parks and use it constantly. Because you never know what the kid in front of you caught at school before coming to Disney. Things in the lines for the kids to play with, no way.

Finally, after 6 weeks we are both fully recovered and back to normal. The DW ended up BACK at the doctor for a SECOND round of antibiotics before she FINALLY got over this mess.

I'm not sure what kind a bug we picked up, but it was bad.

I've had mono, the flu, colds and sinus infections in my lifetime. But, I've NEVER seen the junk come out of my nose like I did with this mess. I'm just thankful I didn't pick up the strep, although I would have traded with the DW in a second to ease her suffering.

No doubt more precautions should have been taken, and certainly will be taken next time. You don't want to think about how NASTY everything must be that everyone touches. All day, every day.

Not to mention the thousands of people you come into contact with in the crowds.

Now, for the final wrap up and comments...

Overall, this was a fantastic vacation and if I did it again next week I wouldn't change a thing!

We ad 11 straight days (travel days included) with ZERO rain. We left NC @ 25 degrees and hit St. Augustine @ 80! Temps stayed in the high 70's to low 80's all week. Perfect weather!

Fort Wilderness is the BOMB!!! Expensive ($198 per night for a premium site), but worth it. Our site was perfect, our loop was perfect and everything about the Fort was perfect. I sincerely have no complaints.

Riding around the Fort on a golf cart is just plain fun! I highly recommend it!

The parks? Well, they were AWESOME!! Never had a problem with transportation, never had a problem with a FastPass, never had a problem finding a restroom, never had a problem finding a drink/food stand and never had a problem with ANYONE!

The transportation was fantastic. We rode the boats, the buses and the monorail multiple times, back and forth, to and fro and never waited too long or missed a stop. Got where we needed to go like clockwork.

10 out of 10 for us. It was a trip of a lifetime for us and I know it will never be duplicated.

Thanks for tagging along. Have a great day!

Glad you're over it, we were there a week after you guys left, the first day I commented to DW how many times we said god bless you, seemed like every kid that walked by me sneezed, usually about the level my hand hangs while walking. we made a point to was hands and sanitize often

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter