Birthdays Near Christmas

My birthday is 25 days after Christmas so it’s far enough that they have always been separated but close enough that I don’t know what to ask for for my birthday lol

I always wished I had a summer birthday.

I’m encountering this with dh. It was hard enough to find bday presents, Xmas has been even harder!

My birthday is 25 days after Christmas so it’s far enough that they have always been separated but close enough that I don’t know what to ask for for my birthday lol

I always wished I had a summer birthday.

I always wished for a summer birthday, too. Mine is Jan 24 so usually every one is broke from Christmas holiday and it's cold and snowy, etc, etc.

Now my younger sister's birthday is on Christmas Eve and everyone always wishes her Happy Birthday (we actually usually all sing to her)and some of us spring for little gifts for her as we're all together on that evening. Jan 24th rolls around and I'm lucky to get a couple of Happy Birthday texts!! :rolleyes2

I always got separate gifts. (My birthday is on the 28th). I also wished I had a summer birthday so I could get gifts like my sister and brother with July birthdays. Plus I never got to celebrate my birthday in school because it always fell during the holiday break.

My mother-in-law's birthday is Dec 25. She has always insisted that we treat Christmas dinner as her birthday dinner rather than a Christmas celebration, which used to bother the kids when they were little (and me somewhat) when she was nearby. My birthday is in May and I don't care much about celebrating it, so I never understood her insistence that her birthday took precedence over Christmas. My mom's was Dec 28 and we always managed to have her dinner sometime before Dec 31, whenever we could get the family together. She did not insist it had to be on Dec 28.

I always got separate gifts. (My birthday is on the 28th). I also wished I had a summer birthday so I could get gifts like my sister and brother with July birthdays. Plus I never got to celebrate my birthday in school because it always fell during the holiday break.

A summer birthday would not be celebrated in school either!

My son's birthday is 12/21 and mine is 12/30. I've always made his birthday a separate occasions although it gets a little "rushed" at times. By the time my birthday comes around, everyone is sick of food and tired.

Cousin with a 12-25 birthday. She always got shorted. I tried to do a bigger present and wrap it half birthday and half Christmas.
Now as an adult, she doesn't care.
Mine in mid Jan. Far enough away, it never really mattered....except when people asked what I want. I get most of the things on my list for Christmas

My DH's is very close to Christmas. He remembers his brother and sister getting a lot of birthday cards, but he just got "and Happy birthday, ~~~~" on the bottom of Christmas cards. :(

The first year my mom heard that story, she got him birthday cards for all the "kid" years she hadn't known him, and mailed them one at a time to his dorm. :teeth:

For DH it was "Merry Christmas, Oh and it's your Birthday present too". I've always have separated Christmas from his birthday. DH said I was the only one besides his favorite grandparents to ever do that.

My mother-in-law's birthday is Dec 25. She has always insisted that we treat Christmas dinner as her birthday dinner rather than a Christmas celebration, which used to bother the kids when they were little (and me somewhat) when she was nearby. My birthday is in May and I don't care much about celebrating it, so I never understood her insistence that her birthday took precedence over Christmas. My mom's was Dec 28 and we always managed to have her dinner sometime before Dec 31, whenever we could get the family together. She did not insist it had to be on Dec 28.

A summer birthday would not be celebrated in school either!

What does it mean to treat it like a birthday celebration?? How old is this woman?? It sounds ridiculous

My nephews is next week. I will drop a gift off to the house. He usually has a birthday party the week off his birthday... it’s never been done on Christmas

These people pay for the rest of there life's, for messing up one Christmas by being born during it, Its unfortunate but they just have to live with it, kind of like the people who are born on Feb 29

My niece's birthday is 12/22. My mother-in-law's is 12/27. My father-in-law's is 1/7, and another niece's is 1/15.

I've never seen my 12/22 niece get a combo gift. We always celebrate separately, but not always super-close to her birthday. The family is getting together this weekend to celebrate her birthday this year.

MIL has never liked her birthday, has complained about combo gifts in the past (doesn't get them from us), and complained that her birthday got overlooked when she was a child. It bothered her then, but now she doesn't seem to mind, and often says "let's celebrate later."

FIL and 1/15 niece like having January birthdays. Maybe they'd like summer birthdays more, but they both think their birthdays are far enough from Christmas that they don't get combined... But they think it's neat that they can see what everybody else got for Christmas, then say "you know, I think I'd like one of those for my birthday."

My birthday is close and my son's is close. Growing up my parents made sure I always had a birthday party and that presents weren't "this is for both" scenarios. We do the same for our son. We have a dedicated party and make sure it is separated enough from Christmas to make it feel like a separate party.

I can say I never felt like my birthday was swallowed by Christmas growing up and that is my hope for my son. If someone ever did give us a combo present I would say no, we will call this a Christmas gift (or birthday). It is perfectly fine if they don't get a second gift but unless it is really big it will presented as one or the other. Luckily my friends are all rational adults and would understand the logic.

I always wished for a summer birthday, too. Mine is Jan 24 so usually every one is broke from Christmas holiday and it's cold and snowy, etc, etc

DH is Jan 3 and mine Jan 14 and we both wish the same. In addition to what you posted, we have always wanted to have a nice birthday dinner but after eating our way through December at office parties and treats the whole month, we don’t even feel like having a big restaurant meal or dessert.

Mine is January 2nd. And I always kind of felt slighted as a kid. Considering there were five of us there was not a lot of money left over in the budget for my birthday after Christmas. Now as an adult it doesn’t matter so much but I think my family is kind of done with the holidays after January 1.

My sister and I are June 16 and always loved getting to celebrate every six months. We used to joke we'd have to get married to someone born in March or September during the other month so we'd have a celebration every 3 months! (Funny thing both our husbands are born in February and we both got married in August so we almost got our wish!)

My DS's birthdays are 12/1 and 12/13. I was due the end of November for DS #1 and was hoping he wouldn't be born in December. After having a winter baby was planning on the next one to be born in May. Hahaha didn't work out that way.
I always kept their birthdays separate celebrations and wouldn't even put up any Christmas decorations until after DS #2 birthday celebration was over.
My DM birthday was 12/29. I don't remember how we celebrated as kids but as grownups we always had a separate celebration.
The hard part about December birthdays was having parties and they would receive some gifts we had bought for Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter