Black Panther Review

IllinoisJones

Displaying My Ears
Disney Movie Review:
Black Panther (2018)
What we’ve come to expect from the Marvel Cinematic Universe is superb storytelling, awesome visuals and of course an introduction to characters we can care about. Check. Check. Check. I didn’t grow up knowing much about Marvel, its worlds or its people. But, as with every previous film, this 18th MCU story taught me about another rich character in what seems like an endless library of rich characters. We finally see the fictitious world of Wakanda. Teased and mentioned in several MCU films, this African nation is ahead of the rest of the world in technology thanks to the strongest metal on Earth, Vibranium - the same stuff that makes up Captain America’s shield. The Wakandans have found ways to utilize its properties in everything from defensive and offensive weapons, to transportation, to health benefits. The king of Wakanda, T’Challa, made his debut in Captain America: Civil War. Thrust onto the throne following the death of his father, T’Challa also takes up the mantle of The Black Panther who has super human abilities and defends Wakanda at all costs. T’Challa is outstandingly portrayed by Chadwick Boseman, but stealing the show for me is his sworn enemy, Erik Killmonger, played by Michael B. Jordan. Driven by personal pain, Killmonger, is looking to dethrone the king and take the crown for himself. Ryan Coogler has brilliantly directed a wonderful cast. Ludwig Goransson provides a heroic score that’s filled with traditional African sounds that magnifies the theme of the location. While the Black Panther isn’t the first black super hero in the MCU (War Machine and Falcon precede him), he is the first headliner. But make no mistake, the overwhelming success of the film isn’t due to the curiosities of seeing color barriers broken, it’s because the movie is flat out fantastic. My minor knock lies in a moment that’s just a little too convenient for me. Not spoiling it here. My 9-year old daughter and 12-year old son enjoyed it. My daughter liked it more than the last MCU film she saw in the theater, Doctor Strange. My son thought it was pretty violent, but not more than what’s taken place in previous MCU movies. Overall, I give it 4 1/2 panther claws out of 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!