• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Blind/low vision questions

grad_dis_nut

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I'm looking for thoughts on helping my FIL enjoy his first trip to WDW next month. He has no vision in one eye and extremely low vision in the other, due to glaucoma and has been fairly depressed about the loss of sight/independence, so I really want this trip to NOT be a reminder of his limitations.

I have read about being able to get him an audio recording to give him an idea of the layout, etc. I am wondering, though, about things like whether he should use his cane to help navigate curbs and steps or not. He's not super proficient with it yet and with crowds I wonder if it will be cause for others to trip over him--and he'd feel terrible. Anyone have experience with this situation?

Also, given his low vision in one eye, I know that he'll have better ability to see shows (like Country Bears, Little Mermaid, American Adventure) if he can be closer up where it's brighter. However, I don't want to be one of "THOSE" people who push others out of the way to get front and center seats :rolleyes: I think we can go get a GAC for him for special seating, but I was wondering if it's handled discreetly. He is definitely embarrassed to draw attention to himself.

I guess I"m just looking for any thoughts or experiences that you might have to share. Really want this to be fun for him (and all of us!)

Thanks in advance.

I think a GAC would be appropriate. Some shows have special seating for low vision. We have our GAC and just show it to the first CM we see at an attraction. One of the things we love about WDW is that we are treated like 'normal' people there in spite of our disabilities.

Grad-Dis-Nut - Hi, I haven't seen many posts about vision impaired people, so I am glad I saw this one!!

I have an 8 yr old daughter that is losing her sight due to RP. She has limited peripheral vision and cannot see in dim or dark areas. She has used her cane on our last two trips - the first time was over THanksgiving so you know it was crowded. She did great. At that point she had just begun cane training in September 2 times a week in school. Part of the benefit of the cane is that is does alert people around you of your impairment. People were very curteous for the most part and would step out of her way, hold their kids back, and just were cautious around her. It also helped keep the people around us a bit more patient when they were behind us. They could see that we weren't being just putzy or pokey, we have a little girl with vision impairment and needed to take it at her pace.

We are not people to cause a scene or want any extra attention, etc. either. We did not use the guest asisstance card usually. We did get one just incase, but for the most part, when CMs saw the cane, they could see that there would be some preferential seating needed and asked us what we would like to do.

I really think you should consider having your FIL use the cane. I was a bit nervous about Lucy using hers, but everything went well. I tripped over it a couple of times :rolleyes1 , but hey we were just learning and didn't hurt any other guests!! :earsgirl:

Good luck and really think about using that cane. Whether your FIL is proficient with it or not, it does let others around you know that there is something going on. To me, that made a big difference in our experience.

Good luck!!

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Lives4Disney said:
Grad-Dis-Nut - Hi, I haven't seen many posts about vision impaired people, so I am glad I saw this one!!

I have an 8 yr old daughter that is losing her sight due to RP.Good luck!!

I was hoping you would see this and respond. Very good points.

Hi Lives4Disney,

Thanks for your suggestions and for sharing your experiences. I shared them with my FIL and he thinks it will be a good idea to bring his cane, especially for the reasons you described. It folds up, so it can always be put away in a bag if necessary.

Best of luck to you and to your daughter. Your girls are beautiful!

I also have an 8 yr old daughter with similar issues caused by RP (also an "almost" 12 yr old son with RP). The dim lighting is becoming more and more of an issue for them, especially my daughter. I actually came to this board to post a dietary question for a friend and I noticed the low vision thread. My kids were diagnosed almost 1 year ago. We have so much to learn yet. I will have to pay closer attention to this board.

Della - I sent you an email message. I can't believe it - I have never met anyone with children affected by this disease.

Grad_Dis_Nut - Your FIL will have a great time at WDW! My daughter's cane really came in handy. Her cane also folds, but she never put it away at WDW. She doesn't use it daily outside of school, but she won't take a vacation anywhere without it. It really makes her feel secure. In WDW, as anywhere else, there are curbs, some small steps up into restaurants (she tripped going down the steps outside of Tony's Town Square once pre - cane), and dark waiting areas, also getting into/out of the boat rides is difficult. She was thrilled that she could actually look around as we walked and not have to be so concerned about where she put her feet. My daughter wound up calling the cane her "candycane" as we were there during the holiday season and it is white and red and brought her some great benefits!! Use the cane and take your time. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter